Intel says "Buy an overclockable motherboard that disables Current Excursion Protection, Set PL1 to 4000 amps, and your i9-14900KS may burn out"

Summary

Igor's lab obtained a preliminary statement from Intel:

Quotes

"While the root cause has not yet been identified, Intel has observed the majority of reports of this issue are from users with unlocked/overclock capable motherboards, ... Intel has observed 600/700 Series chipset boards often set BIOS defaults to disable thermal and power delivery safeguards designed to limit processor exposure to sustained periods of high voltage and frequency."

My thoughts

What can users expect then? This seems like Intel trying to pass the buck. In Ars Technica's own words:

Intel releases these K-series chips to satisfy overclockers and tinkerers, but it's clear that there just isn't a lot of performance headroom left in these chips since Intel is already pushing their clock speeds and voltages to squeeze out generational performance improvements.

Sources

https://www.igorslab.de/en/intel-releases-the-13th-and-14th-generation-k-sku-processor-instability-issue-update/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/intel-reportedly-blames-motherboard-makers-for-core-i9-cpu-crashes/

While Intel's statement is written to hide the facts, I think the facts are simple:

1. Buy overclockable motherboard
  2. Buy i9-14900KS
  3. Overclockable enthusiast motherboard's BIOS default PL1 is "beyond Intel recommended limits"
  4. Intel blames motherboard, but CPU is already toast

False advertising maybe?

Overclocking has always been at the user's risk. The problem we have is that mobo manufacturers haven't made it clear what settings would count as overclocking and/or setting it as default. Even on an AM5 build I recently got I might have the opposite problem. Asus description for a setting in bios was "overclock CPU and ram for more performance" so I disabled it. The CPU wouldn't turbo. Put that setting back to Auto, I get turbo.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Amazing they called my 11900K a high wattage house fire waste of sand. And heres the 14900k cooking itself.

37 minutes ago, sounds said:

While Intel's statement is written to hide the facts, I think the facts are simple:

1. Buy overclockable motherboard
  2. Buy i9-14900KS
  3. Overclockable enthusiast motherboard's BIOS default PL1 is "beyond Intel recommended limits"
  4. Intel blames motherboard, but CPU is already toast

False advertising maybe?

Overclocking has always been "do at your own risk" and the 14900KS is a 13900ks golden sample, which is a 12900ks refresh, which was a 12th gen golden sample. This isn't ivy bridge where the chip is intentionally nerfed: the chip started at the redline and revving it perpetually at the redline is going to break it. 

If Yamaha makes an engine at rates max RPM at 6000, and then it goes into a car and the redline is set at 9000rpm, and the bozo pulls up to a car meet and pins it at the red line for 20 minutes straight, is it yamaha's fault for it blowing up?

@BiotechBen while you're technically correct, which is the best kind of correct...

This problem can manifest without the buyer touching the BIOS settings at all. The defaults are set to an unlimited PL1... Oh, yes, it's actually limited at 4000 amps. Like I said, unlimited.

4 minutes ago, sounds said:

This problem can manifest without the buyer touching the BIOS settings at all. The defaults are set to an unlimited PL1... Oh, yes, it's actually limited at 4000 amps. Like I said, unlimited.

Which is why Intel is blaming the mobo manufacturers for using these unsafe defaults in their BIOSes.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

JayTwoCents has done a youtube vid about this.

Apparently many motherboard bios settings today have that "feature" set to on as default, that lets the cpu get more power than Intel's safe limit.

39 minutes ago, porina said:

Overclocking has always been at the user's risk. The problem we have is that mobo manufacturers haven't made it clear what settings would count as overclocking and/or setting it as default. Even on an AM5 build I recently got I might have the opposite problem. Asus description for a setting in bios was "overclock CPU and ram for more performance" so I disabled it. The CPU wouldn't turbo. Put that setting back to Auto, I get turbo.

I don't think the mobo manufacturers even know some of the settings are overclocking because intel doesn't really specify on their end. 
intel has stated to reviews and manufacturers as that those settings ARE in spec 

image.thumb.png.af3df9dd10d8a622d01f223dd438c396.png

1 hour ago, sounds said:

Summary

Igor's lab obtained a preliminary statement from Intel:

Quotes

My thoughts

What can users expect then? This seems like Intel trying to pass the buck. In Ars Technica's own words:

Sources

https://www.igorslab.de/en/intel-releases-the-13th-and-14th-generation-k-sku-processor-instability-issue-update/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/intel-reportedly-blames-motherboard-makers-for-core-i9-cpu-crashes/

Intel is kinda right imo, chips are run too fast for their own good, you can't blame them for that, and problem is the board manufacturers propose dangerous "default" settings

Intel specs/recommendations are pretty clear

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

15 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Intel specs/recommendations are pretty clear

as clear as silent hill fog. 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

19 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

that's not the specifications we are talking about here in the slightest. What is Tau for example. What is the spec core voltages? what is the voltage curve?

image.thumb.png.af3df9dd10d8a622d01f223dd438c396.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14582/talking-tdp-turbo-and-overclocking-an-interview-with-intel-fellow-guy-therien

Both PL2 and Tau are configurable by the OEM and ODM, and are ‘in spec’. So you have the ability, of course, if the power delivery supports a higher power limit, and also if the system has the thermal capability (because it makes no sense if you’re just going to thermally throttle), to adjust these values. So motherboard manufacturers and ODMs are investing in their power delivery and thermal solutions to allow them to maximize performance or get a certain about of turbo duration without throttling – to the maximum extent possible. As a result of this you can invest different amounts of money into the power delivery, the thermal solution, the thinness of the system and so on – it’s the ability to design something that is differentiated for the audience, both in terms of form factor and performance.

For those who say Intel is not at fault, can you explain why this is not also happening to Ryzen motherboards from the same board partners?

So they chose to allow an absurdly high power limit only for the Intel processors that are already drawing a lot more power than Ryzen CPUs?

One does not willingly shoot themself in the foot

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

I don't think the mobo manufacturers even know some of the settings are overclocking because intel doesn't really specify on their end. 
intel has stated to reviews and manufacturers as that those settings ARE in spec 

The reference you provided only talks about power limits. The mobo makers are adjusting more than that. Look at the settings Falcon Northwest and later Intel recommended to change. I don't know what they are. Do some of those fall under overclocking? In short, don't focus on the power limit. It is bigger than that.

Also that article was written when Coffee Lake was current, just before Comet Lake's release. Do we know if Intel has changed their policy since then? The problem is, this stuff is mostly not public info. Hardware manufacturers do have that info, otherwise we wouldn't have working product.

15 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

For those who say Intel is not at fault, can you explain why this is not also happening with their Ryzen motherboards?

AMD did not give that freedom and enforced a power (and other) limits. Not 100% sure from the start of Ryzen but certainly from Zen 2. We could looked at the EXPO mess early on as another similar example.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

34 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

For those who say Intel is not at fault, can you explain why this is not also happening to Ryzen motherboards from the same board partners?

So they chose to allow an absurdly high power limit only for the Intel processors that are already drawing a lot more power than Ryzen CPUs?

A similar thing happened on Zen5 x3D chips, some boards BIOS put way too much DRAM voltage in the XMP settings, killing the chip and potentially burning everything, GN did study that in detail

To me it's exactly the same issue, board manufacturers not respecting safe voltage/power in *default* settings

Intel let power limits loose to allow OC, you can expect people that do their own tweaks to be responsible of it, but when the BIOS default is too aggressive fault is on the board manufacturer

42 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

Certain models of AMD Ryzen AM5 motherboards were killing CPU's because voltage was set too high, AMD and the board manufacturers were at fault for that one.

Intel is simply passing the blame here, they approved of the specs mobo makers are using and have been allowing mobo makers to set higher limits than default without the user ever changing UEFI settings.

IMO, Ryzen CPU's having power limits is the better thing to do than allow a 4000W power limit since motherboard makers can't do sketchy things just so they can brag about overclocking or pointless benchmark numbers.

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

To me it's exactly the same issue, board manufacturers not respecting safe voltage/power in *default* settings

Intel let power limits loose to allow OC, you can expect people that do their own tweaks to be responsible of it, but when the BIOS default is too aggressive fault is on the board manufacturer

What is to aggressive? What is safe?
Thats the problem here. Intel spec is loose and has been for a while. Its just not reared its head of consequences until we got parts that could handle such wattages without thermal throttling. 

These boards ARE in spec. As per Intel. But now that we have solved cooling 300W CPUs at a consumer level, they are boosting to unstability on the poorer binned chips.

1 minute ago, starsmine said:

What is to aggressive? What is safe?
Thats the problem here. Intel spec is loose and has been for a while. Its just not reared its head of consequences until we got parts that could handle such wattages without thermal throttling. 

These boards ARE in spec. As per Intel. But now that we have solved cooling 300W CPUs at a consumer level, they are boosting to unstability on the poorer binned chips.

Intel and AMD give clear recommendations about safe voltage and power, proof is there's been very few problems with that in 20 years...

If they hardlimit things in the chip people will rant they cannot OC anymore, so they don't

Now mobo manufacturers are supposed to be responsible and competent and put safe settings, they know where the limits are

Who's thinking you can safely send 999W into a chip, even with a monster power delivery ??

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Intel and AMD give clear recommendations about safe voltage and power, proof is there's been very few problems with that in 20 years...

If they hardlimit things in the chip people will rant they cannot OC anymore, so they don't

Now mobo manufacturers are supposed to be responsible and competent and put safe settings, they know where the limits are

Who's thinking you can safely send 999W into a chip, even with a monster power delivery ??

No one is saying you can send 999W, that number isnt real, its just turning that limit off which, once again, is in spec. AS PER INTEL. Its using other limits from intel to control the chip at that point and throttling using other parameters. 

Guy Therien: Even with those values, you're not running out of spec, I want to make very clear – you’re running in spec, but you are getting higher turbo duration.

And in case you dont know who guy is
he is an intel fellow Hardware Engineer
image.png.bc0cc9dda3ec5c5b663b35e17de2a4ea.png
This is Intel's Hardware engineers rank structure. 
he isnt some guy, he was THE guy. 

intel has not gotten stricter since 2019 with specs, they have only gotten looser. 

Im not saying Guy is wrong either here, this system worked back then. But the chips thermal throttled at way less wattages due to heat transfer to the IHS back then. 

7 hours ago, starsmine said:

No one is saying you can send 999W

^^^

This is why i think the whole "amd did it too" is apples oranges. AMD wont accept you inputting 4096W without instability, yet intel microcode somehow would do it until they perish in heat. Noone wins with what Intel provided as "voltage specs".

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

11 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

^^^

This is why i think the whole "amd did it too" is apples oranges. AMD wont accept you inputting 4096W without instability, yet intel microcode somehow would do it until they perish in heat. Noone wins with what Intel provided as "voltage specs".

AMD does though, 
image.thumb.png.ae1e61adc3c7adb632ee78bb7260a8ab.png
I do have power per thread and total DC current to be 1000W and 1000A respectively. Its just gets throttled elsewhere. Like with voltages. again settings intel to 999W or 4096W is just saying don't use this to throttle the chip, its not saying the chip can even pull that much, to pull that much wattage requires obscene voltages.
image.thumb.png.2eae9b72aecede96ed49fa6881e0f194.png

BUT it also should be said, this is not and has never been advertised as in spec, unlike intel. 

One thing that's being missed is when you say:

13 hours ago, sounds said:

Intel releases these K-series chips to satisfy overclockers and tinkerers, but it's clear that there just isn't a lot of performance headroom left in these chips since Intel is already pushing their clock speeds and voltages to squeeze out generational performance improvements.

That depends on the context of what's meant by "Overclockers".

For most, you won't see big performance gains because they aren't setup to get them like the XOC guys are.
Mainly air and watercooling for the average user so you won't see alot gained as mentioned.

The ones that can get alot more performance are XOC guys chasing world records and those are the ones you'll see getting the kind of performance gains you could only wish for BUT as we all know that kind of thing isn't practical at all for the average user.

Performance sells and Intel knows it, that's why you have guys doing that and Intel providing the hardware (Sponsorship to certain benchers) to make it happen. They know big numbers from benching will sway many to go with what they are offering and it's a little something called marketing - AMD does the same thing themselves so it's not excusive to Intel alone.

That's one big reason why Intel is a sponsor of HWbot - Says so on their home page at the top in fact, plus Intel pushed the bot to have XTU benchmark as part of the benchies ran there.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

TechLinked covered it today: 

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

One thing that's being missed is when you say:

That depends on the context of what's meant by "Overclockers".

For most, you won't see big performance gains because they aren't setup to get them like the XOC guys are.
Mainly air and watercooling for the average user so you won't see alot gained as mentioned.

The ones that can get alot more performance are XOC guys chasing world records and those are the ones you'll see getting the kind of performance gains you could only wish for BUT as we all know that kind of thing isn't practical at all for the average user.

Performance sells and Intel knows it, that's why you have guys doing that and Intel providing the hardware (Sponsorship to certain benchers) to make it happen. They know big numbers from benching will sway many to go with what they are offering and it's a little something called marketing - AMD does the same thing themselves so it's not excusive to Intel alone.

That's one big reason why Intel is a sponsor of HWbot - Says so on their home page at the top in fact, plus Intel pushed the bot to have XTU benchmark as part of the benchies ran there.

their a.i oc by  manf. aka boost clock and manual oc.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC