GTA 6 production falling behind, possibility of delay

VirusDumb

Summary

Sources within rockstar of Kotaku are saying that the game's production is falling behind while early 2025 is still the current goal it's likely that it'll probably get delayed to late 2025 or could even reach 2026

Quotes

At the moment, I’m told that Rockstar is still “aiming” for GTA 6 to arrive in Spring 2025. While an early 2025 release is the goal, sources say they aren’t sure if this will happen and a Fall 2025 launch seems more plausible and feasible. Meanwhile, delaying the game to 2026 is on the table as a sort of “fallback plan” or “emergency” option if needed.

My thoughts

I think they should take their time, I recently played GTA 3 and then GTA 5 back to back and the difference in release date between those 2 games are almost same as gta 5 and 6, making an actual working game is big deal for studios now but it's better if they actually take their time to do so rather than rushing it out, it's not exaggerating to say messing this up will forever kill Rockstar's legacy, and whatever they make must change videogames forever again like GTA 3 did when it came and like GTA 5 did when it came out 

Sources

https://kotaku.com/gta-6-development-2026-delay-rockstar-office-release-1851359831

Good. Delay it.

Unrealistic time frames set by pencil pushers higher ups who then force devs to do crunchtime should disappear. It will be ready when it's ready to be released.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

At this point, it is a race between Silksong and GTA 6 over how much dev time their respective games will get. Don't get me wrong; this is the right move.

Edited by ARandomPerson
Typo

Didn't Silksong get within a hair of releasing before the unity mess hit and now they're having to start from scratch on a new engine?

Also it's GTA6 how much is a year going to add to the timeframe since GTA5 released.

Hah, I mean release games when they are worthy of release sure. Then again, will PC version be delayed long in general like before and be scuffed. Such a shame it's not a focus.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

46 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Hah, I mean release games when they are worthy of release sure. Then again, will PC version be delayed long in general like before and be scuffed. Such a shame it's not a focus.

Can't agree more Choom.  We know what happens when the corpos decide they want the game out too early.   A great futuristic game that probably should have three expansions, flying motorbikes and cars, and some kind of online play ... gets shafted.  (Imagine PVP net running, heist against various companies, or death match modes with all that cyberware).     Meanwhile a game, set in the current year, that should not have flying cars and motorbikes lives online so long that it gets them.  

I think we are in a sort of gaming doldrums because that game didn't pan out, as well as other games that have been disappointing.

17 hours ago, VirusDumb said:

it's not exaggerating to say messing this up will forever kill Rockstar's legacy, and whatever they make must change videogames forever again like GTA 3 did when it came and like GTA 5 did when it came out 

The game industry needs a big flagship like GTA 6 to be on time and to run well on the hardware it releases on.  GTA sells gaming hardware that the next software will run on.  Companies in the industry would be smart to do what Nvidia eventually did with CDPR.  Work closely with the game DEV to be certain your flagship game works well on the available hardware.  If GTA6 is another Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of bugs on release then gaming as we know it is over for 10 years.   

Imagine gaming where all the games are just mobile games, or ports of mobile games.  GTA6 fails and that may be where we end up. 

7 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

The game industry needs a big flagship like GTA 6 to be on time and to run well on the hardware it releases on.  GTA sells gaming hardware that the next software will run on.  Companies in the industry would be smart to do what Nvidia eventually did with CDPR.  Work closely with the game DEV to be certain your flagship game works well on the available hardware.  If GTA6 is another Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of bugs on release then gaming as we know it is over for 10 years.   

Imagine gaming where all the games are just mobile games, or ports of mobile games.  GTA6 fails and that may be where we end up. 

I pray to not see such dystopian fantasies turn into a reality, cyberpunk was different, I honestly believe the anime kinda saved the game from going extinct while the devs fixed the bug, and it was something too ambitious and different from everything cdpr did before, GTA 6? c'mon they've done it once in 2001 then did it back to back 3 more times in between each time doing something revolutionary and ground breaking and then finally they did it once in 2013,

2013-2001=12=2025-2013

The hype around the game is already bigger than whatever cp2077 or silk song had, this is the greatest franchise in video games (apart from Nintendo IPs) this has to work, Rockstar games have currently ruined their reputation by suing modders and the defecative editions, this is the only thing that'll save em so if they mess up, they'll reputation will go poof, but I'm hopeful they'll change things, I myself have been trying to save up for a PS5 so I can play the game on launch day

On 3/23/2024 at 2:59 PM, TetraSky said:

Good. Delay it.

Unrealistic time frames set by pencil pushers higher ups who then force devs to do crunchtime should disappear. It will be ready when it's ready to be released.

Honestly part of me just wishes they wouldn't tell release dates that are so far out. I mean the chances of the release date forecasted that far out being accurate is super unrealistic. It's way nicer when you hear about a game's release date and its within the next couple of months and is actually accurate. 

I guess this time at least nobody will be crunching to implement shrinking horse testicles. In general, delays are a welcome sight from a customer perspective, but the money well will eventually run dry and the publisher will demand a return on investment, so don't count on this delay actually meaning the game won't have any issues at launch.

Not that it matters, because if the previous 3 games are anything to go by, it'll be another by-the-numbers open world game with sub-par driving and bland third-person shooter mechanics telling a third-rate crime thriller story that completely forgets the satirical roots of the series. The way Rockstar continuously try and fail to thread the needle of doing wacky hijinx alongside a serious story and how fans lap it up uncritically is bewildering to me. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

6 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

because if the previous 3 games

Which games are you talking about?

2 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

Which games are you talking about?

San Andreas, IV and V. All three terrible games that focused too much on trying to marry gravitas and the satirical bent of the previous games and all failed. Niko Bellic's tragic story deserved better than the terrible attempts at humor in IV and going bowling with his stupid cousin every couple of minutes.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

23 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

San Andreas, IV and V. All three terrible games that focused too much on trying to marry gravitas and the satirical bent of the previous games and all failed. Niko Bellic's tragic story deserved better than the terrible attempts at humor in IV and going bowling with his stupid cousin every couple of minutes.

Kinda right but gotta disagree, San Andreas was alright it had seriousness with the main story branch while also going batshit crazy with stuff like burning down weed farms, raiding area 51, going to Liberty City and killing an entire mob family just to earn some guy's trust whom you're gonna rob anyways, but it didnt detach too much from the main story, I have heard GTA 4 was a bit more too wannabe serious so you might be right on that, I couldn't play cuz the physics and frame drops ran like shit on my PC and I hated the driving in that the cars feeling like ships while driving was okay but idk why they'd do that to the bikes too. Then on to GTA 5, it had literally no "gravitas" like after the prologue and the it's just crazy bat shit, it's like a action comedy TV show with multiple episodes, it all felt like satire 

I think GTA 6 would be different judging by the trailer cuz she goes to jail, I think if that part happens in the middle of the storymode it'd be crazy and okay like San Andreas but if it's all in the prologue then it's gonna be like GTA 5, at the end of the day it's not about the story and stuff, it's the fun you get messing around doing shit in these games, blowing things up and shit

20 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I guess this time at least nobody will be crunching to implement shrinking horse testicles. In general, delays are a welcome sight from a customer perspective, but the money well will eventually run dry and the publisher will demand a return on investment, so don't count on this delay actually meaning the game won't have any issues at launch.

Not that it matters, because if the previous 3 games are anything to go by, it'll be another by-the-numbers open world game with sub-par driving and bland third-person shooter mechanics telling a third-rate crime thriller story that completely forgets the satirical roots of the series. The way Rockstar continuously try and fail to thread the needle of doing wacky hijinx alongside a serious story and how fans lap it up uncritically is bewildering to me. 

GTA V driving is pretty good and I wouldn't call it subpar at all. Also I think the biggest reason why alot of people like the GTA series isn't really the story to begin with at least not with the newer releases especially GTA V. I mean GTA V is basically printing money from GTA online is its pretty clear that is what attracts alot of people and not the storyline. 

People still have hopes in AAA games?

It's going to be an empty soulless shell. A direct copy paste of 5, with a different coat of paint. It'll will be heavily dependent on shark cards. And the story will be borked to no end cause they have to focus on MP cause shark cards.

Getting hyped for AAA games stopped making sense after the release of OG Assassin's Creed

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

It's going to be an empty soulless shell. A direct copy paste of 5, with a different coat of paint. It'll will be heavily dependent on shark cards. And the story will be borked to no end cause they have to focus on MP cause shark cards.

Getting hyped for AAA games stopped making sense after the release of OG Assassin's Creed

This isn't Assassin's Creed, this isn't ubisoft, this is grand theft auto,one of the biggest media franchise ever this is Rockstar games' bread and butter, people who don't even play video games on a regular basis are into GTA too. It's defined created a genre of games, it can't be a copy paste of 5 with a different coat of paint, it'll be significantly improved as seen in the leaks, whatever it becomes it'll be the biggest thing in gaming, it'll be either a big hit or a big flop, they won't mess this up

6 hours ago, VirusDumb said:

it can't be a copy paste of 5 with a different coat of paint,

9e8.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b677bc5d1a315efba

6 hours ago, VirusDumb said:

this is Rockstar games'

Heard the same story from bioware, cdpr, Bethesda etc... name a big franchise and next to it there will be a publisher ready to run it through the mud for a quick cash grab.

Rocester isn't immune from it, in fact they demonstrated more than enough through both gta 5 and rdr2 that they don't care and it's just a bean counter gig for them at this point.

But hey you do you, run that hype train over a cliff and see where it lands, I sure as he'll won't hope into it.

AAA is badge that simply mean the game is garbage, been that way for 2 decades now, ain't changing for the foreseeable future.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 3/26/2024 at 2:13 AM, suicidalfranco said:

It's going to be an empty soulless shell. A direct copy paste of 5, with a different coat of paint. It'll will be heavily dependent on shark cards.

WORSE.  It'll have money you can grind for OR a special premium Crypto currency that you can buy with real money 100X easier than perhaps, maybe, possibly, grinding for in game money to then use to buy the premium currency.  

Want to drive OKish cars and vehicles and maybe have a pistol grind for it.  Want to have a flying saucer that rapid fires homing munitions from orbital cannon altitudes ... pay up.      Oh that will be a thing.  Get ready for the oppressor mark 3. 

On 3/26/2024 at 2:13 AM, suicidalfranco said:

And the story will be borked to no end cause they have to focus on MP cause shark cards.

I get it.  The thing is just about all entertainment is kinda Meh.  Movies meh,  music meh, video games were the last bastion but they had to get so SOOOOoo greedy that they became meh and not worth it.   

• 2 weeks later...

Good job, Rockstar!

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.