Help me to understand. People upgrading their GPU but still using their 10 YO CPU

I'm seeing on a regular basis, people buying a 40xx or 7xxx series GPU to go with their FX6300 or similar time frame CPU.

I can understand buying a newer GPU, but don't understand why you would buy the latest GPU and not upgrade you 12 YO CPU

As far as I've seen, that really isn't that common anymore. There was a mindset back then that the CPU really didn't matter for gaming performance, especially since basically any quad core i7 would perform fairly similarly to each other once you had an overclock on it. Look at X58 setups for instance, the people who bought them ran them for 6-7 years without feeling a need to upgrade because there just wasn't a need for it. Nowadays though, games are using a ton of CPU power and therefore you really do need an upgrade. 

I'm sure there are still some people out there that still live by that older mindset of any CPU made within the last 10 years is probably OK for a mid to top range GPU, but I'm pretty certain that it's more rare than you make it out to be. 

Before the advent of Ryzen, Intel made (comparatively) little progress from one generation to another while being the top dog.

In that same timeframe, we've also seen doubling, then doubling again of bandwidths in PCIe for GPUs and storage, where PCIe3 had stuck around for a long time.

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

As far as I've seen, that really isn't that common anymore. There was a mindset back then that the CPU really didn't matter for gaming performance, especially since basically any quad core i7 would perform fairly similarly to each other once you had an overclock on it. Look at X58 setups for instance, the people who bought them ran them for 6-7 years without feeling a need to upgrade because there just wasn't a need for it. Nowadays though, games are using a ton of CPU power and therefore you really do need an upgrade. 

^^^

maybe this was still relevant back in 2018-2019 where overclocked x58 could still compete with 1st/2nd gen ryzen and an overclocked 2nd-4th gen i7 (4.8-5.2ghz) could beat said ryzens in singlecore whilst the 6700k/7700k werent that much faster than those oced 2nd-4th gen i7s but after that not really

those old quadcore i7s are still half decent when run at 4.8-5ghz but are definitely showing their age, dont think you can drive anything over a 6700xt with em unless you play on a really high res and they definitely cant compete with zen2 especially not the later samples that can do 4.5-4.6ghz

x58 still usable but also really showing its age considering it doesnt even have avx not to mention the ludicrous power draw and it definitely loses out in singlecore, dont think even a max tuned setup with a binned cpu thatd do 4.8-5ghz allcore and ddr3 2600 can compete with zen2 let alone zen3 or zen4

and then theres also used ryzen to consider cause those used b3/450s and used ryzen 3000/5000 are going dirt cheap and will crush all of this old hardware, the upgrade isnt even that expensive or it could be straight up free especially if you have some higher value parts or they havent depreciated too much

as for amd fx that stuff still holds some value so you are better off selling anyways, even x58 will crush tuned fx performance wise so its not really worth holding onto unless you just wanna have some fun with ocing the balls off it running >5.3ghz and ddr3 3000+

I don't really see that either. More often than not I see people picking the best possible CPU and then ask if it will bottleneck their mid-range GPU...

If you said something like an Intel 9th gen, at most 7th I might have agreed with you but a CPU from 2012? No one keeps those around anymore, especially doesn't match them with 40 series NVIDIA card or new from AMD either.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Ah yes, especially HEDT users. albeit longer than expected, in gaming context, they really starting to get their money worth it buying CPU with tons of cores, since more and more game capable to utilize more and more CPU cores. But yeah, those system is basically a retro muscle car, they sure giving you kick, but they are thirsty AF (power consumption speaking).

My "retired" Haswell Xeon system (E5-2650v3 and 2695v3) can pegged most midrange GPU with no hassle in most games, especially when you do the turbo boost unlock + ReBAR mod to the motherboard BIOS. I put both RX 6800 and RTX 3070 Ti, and both CPU, particularly E5-2697v3, didn't break a sweat balancing its power with the GPU in most games.

Edit: Adding a system spec screenshot of my "backup" workstation (Literally just comeback from retirement):

image.thumb.png.e7e78dc2d3acb5b037c04708df372ae1.png

LENNYYYYYYYYY!!!!! WHERE R U BUOYYYYY??????

•  Laptop:
    • Current
      • Spoiler

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 8 | i5-1335U | 16GB LPDDR 6400MT/s Soldered | WD SN810 1TB NVMe (Win11) | 14 inch 1200p IPS 500 nits panel | Intel AX211 | 65W USB-C PD adapter | Aliexpress DIY Thunderbolt 3 eGPU dock with JieShuo RTX 3060M 12GB

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Heavily modified Lenovo ThinkPad T480 | i7-8550U | 2x 16GB Teamgroup DDR4 3200MT/s | Custom FCBGA 595 to Oculink 2.0 @ PCIe 3.0 x4 (using removed nvidia MX150 dGPU pinout) | 14 inch 1080p IPS 350 nits panel | 7 Row classic keyboard mod (from T25) | 512GB Samsung PM981a NVMe SSD (Win10) + 256GB WD SN520 2242 NVMe SSD (Manjaro; on WWAN slot) | Intel AX210NGW | 65W USB-C PD adapter  | Oculink 2.0 to PCIe x16 DIY dock eGPU with JieShuo RTX 3060M 12GB 

• Workstation:
    • Current - Repurposed as Homelab Dev Server
      • Spoiler

AMD EPYC 9454P 48C/96T | Tyan Tomcat HX S8050 (S8050GM2NE) Socket SP5 | 8x32GB (256GB) Kingston Fury Renegade DDR5 4800MT/s RDIMM | Colorful iGame RTX 4080 Advanced OC (windows VM) | PowerColor RX 6600XT Fighter (MacOS VM) | 2x Intel Optane M10 64GB (RAID 1, Proxmox) | 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (RAIDZ1, VM storage) | Nvidia Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX 25Gb SFP+ PCIe x8 (MCX4111A) | Seasonic Prime TX 1600W | Thermaltake Core W100 case | Enermax LIQTECH TR4 II 280mm AIO (SP5 Kit) |8x Deepcool TF140S Fan

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5-2650v3 10C/20T (locked all core 3GHz) | Dell ALienware Area 51 R2 Motherboard (MSi MS-7862) LGA 2011v3 with modded BIOS (ReBAR enabled) | 4x16GB (64GB) SKhynix ECC LRDIMM 2666MT/s Quad Channel | Colorful iGame GTX 1070 Flame Ares U-TOP | Samsung PM981a 512GB NVMe SSD (Win10) + TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA 512GB (Manjaro) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) |  Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle CPU cooler (hacksawed to work with LGA 2011v3) | PowerUp Raptor 1633 case + 6x Deepcool RF-120FS case fan | IndoCase 500W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-500).

• Homelab AIO server:
    • Current - Repurposed as Backup server
      • Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 (OEM CPU, got it from AliExpress) | Asus Prime B550-Plus AC-HES | 4x16GB (64GB) Samsung DDR4 3200MT/s ECC UDIMM | 2x Intel Optane M10 64GB (RAID1, TrueNAS Scale) | 6x Seagate SkyHawk 8TB (Bulk storage; RAID Z1; Alhua rebranded drive) | Asrock ARC A380 6GB Challenger OC (Terminal + Transcoding GPU) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC | Deepcool Gammax C40 (dual fan) | IndoCase IC4008 4U rackmount case + 5x Deepcool XFAN120 + 2x Deepcool XFAN80 | IndoCase 800W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-800) | Samsung Galaxy S10+ 5G (5G backup uplink for Router VM).

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5-2695v3 14C/28T (force dynamic turbo all core up to 3GHz) | Huananzhi X99-TF-Q (Q87 chipset) LGA 2011v3 with modded BIOS (ReBAR & all core turbo enabled) | 4x32GB (128GB) Samsung ECC LRDIMM 2133MT/s Quad Channel | Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 (via M.2 E key riser; for basic display) + Dell GTX 1070 OEM (transcoding GPU) + Sapphire Pulse RX 470D 4GB (MacOS Ventura VM) | 2x Kingston A400 120GB (mirrored; TrueNAS SCALE) + 6x Samsung PM981a 1TB (VM storage; RAID Z1) + 7x WD Purple 4TB (Bulk storage; RAID Z1) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) | Alseye M90 CPU cooler (hacksawed to work with LGA 2011v3) | IndoCase IC4008 4U rackmount case + 5x Deepcool XFAN120 + 2x Deepcool XFAN80 | IndoCase 800W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-800).

• DIY Router:
    • Current
      • Decommisioned, current router system is running on current AIO Homelab server as VM (Modemsofmen ROOTer GoldenORB OpenWRT 22.10).
    • Retired
      • Spoiler

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF Prebuilt | Intel core i5-4460T | 4x 4GB Samsung DDR3L 1600MT/s UDIMM Dual Channel | 1x Kingston A400 120GB (ROOTer GoldenORB OpenWRT 22.10) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) + Realtek RTL8125 2.5GBe PCIe NIC + Intel i210 SFP PCIe card with Mikrotik SFP ONU module (for WAN, my default ISP modem sucks) + Fibocom L860 4G modem (with USB 3.0 adapter, for WAN redundancy).

• Desk setup:
    • Spoiler

viewsonic VA2732-H 27 inch + VA2215H 22 inch (portrait) 1080p 75Hz IPS monitor | DIY sound system with 2 50W DIY bookshelf speaker | Senheisser HD 600 Headphone | Keychron K1 SE keyboard (Low profile Gateron brown) | Lenovo ThinkLife WLM210 mice | Samsung Galaxy S8+ (used as a Webcam LOL).

10 years ago would put it in Haswell era (released mid-2013). I think an i7 of the era is still comparable to an entry level CPU today - a budget quad core level. It'll be broadly comparable to the Steam Deck's CPU for example. If you have a GPU from a few generations back, and not a high end one of that time either, then a recent low-mid tier GPU would be a nice upgrade on that without going too unbalanced, especially if you're pushing resolution and quality more than frame rate.

It's still on my to do list: I have a Broadwell 5775C 4c8t 128MB L4 cache CPU I want to try in modern games. That's from 2015, so nearly 9 years old now. Even my current main system is currently a 7980XE, over 6 years old. It games fine, but I do feel a bit lacking in low thread performance so I'll probably upgrade next gen.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 hours ago, Choli90 said:

I'm seeing on a regular basis, people buying a 40xx or 7xxx series GPU to go with their FX6300 or similar time frame CPU.

I can understand buying a newer GPU, but don't understand why you would buy the latest GPU and not upgrade you 12 YO CPU

Because not everyone is rich, nor does everyone have credit. Many people use credit to pay for their PC hardware.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

18 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Because not everyone is rich, nor does everyone have credit. Many people use credit to pay for their PC hardware.

Esp for a new GPU of any real capability these days - You can in some cases buy all the rest you need for a build and it's cheaper than just the GPU itself.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I won the silicon lottery back in the day with an excellent Intel i7-6700k, and I still am using it in my gaming-focused desktop. I haven't upgraded it since I built the computer, though I've upgraded GPUs a couple of times. I probably will have to upgrade the CPU eventually, but at least the games I play, that old 6700k when overclocked still runs like a champ, so I haven't really felt a strong need to replace it.

Note that I don't usually play AAA games, so your mileage will certainly vary depending on what types of games you play. In my case lately I've only been using the desktop as either a Steam streaming source for more demanding games to my laptop or handheld, and as a VR machine. For the latter, more often than not the GPU is still the bottleneck preventing me from running things at the highest resolution and refresh rate. A faster PCIe bus would probably make more difference in an upgrade than actual CPU performance. I use the Valve Index so the ceiling for graphic possibility is pretty high.

But the real reason, I think, is simpler: I've just become more busy and have less time for games than I used to, so its harder to justify the cost of an upgrade if I'm only going to be using it infrequently. When I encounter a title that I want to play and can't with a decent experience due to a CPU bottleneck, I'd definitely bite the bullet, but that just really hasn't happened yet.

A gpu swap is cheap and easy, a CPU swap requires a new mobo and new ram. A new GPU almost always (exceptions apply) still get you better frame rate, even if its not ALL of the frames.
A gpu can be carried forward when you do swap the CPU.

Why spend 700 when 300 will do?

2600k went from a GTX 460 to a GTX 660ti RMAed into a GTX 760 into a GTX 1660, down back to GTX 760, up to an RTX 3060 12GB. Every step of the way I gained massive significant performance in games. yes, the 3060 12GB was bottlenecked in some games, but literally... no one cares. It still gave a significant and large fps boost on average.

Only then did I upgrade the CPU to a R7 7700x, and used the RTX 3060 12GB to go with it, and ill do a similar trend with that. but with AM5, there actually is a promise of a cheap and easy CPU upgrade with the zen5x3d or zen6x3d (We still dont have confirmation of zen 6 being on AM5 though) So that's the only major difference this build will have.

Anyone running a high end skylake (i7/i9, not just HEDT) is really in the same boat I was in. they can just slap in a 6700xt from AMD and get massive performance gains if they are coming from an AMD 480. And that is far cheaper then getting a new ryzen build or alder/raptorlake build with a new mobo and new ram. 

6 minutes ago, starsmine said:

A gpu swap is cheap and easy, a CPU swap requires a new mobo and new ram.

Exactly.  CPU is usually the last thing I upgrade because of this.

Ask me how my vintage FX9590 paired with period correct DDR3 and a circa 2019 GTX1650 performs gaming... oh...nvm, I just watch youtubers and twitch streamers play games now.

I mean, I could probably play lots of games at 1080p.

But honestly, up until a few years ago the issue with games for the most part where they were very GPU heavy with not much CPU being needed other than feed the GPU beast and keep it full. having a meh cpu was perfectly okay cause all the heavy lifting is done by the GPU.

now games have changed a bit and all kinds of physics calculations and lighting stuff needing to be done... the CPU has become more important than it used to be...because it has to do all this additional stuff at resolutions greater than before AND feed the beast AND keep it full.

to me, single core/single thread performance is starting to matter again, but i still see nothing wrong with having a meh/old CPU paired with a new high end GPU if the data the CPU has to process in between shoving data to the GPU doesn't cause it to get behind or go 100% load. (always nice to have some overhead there)

this is a good video that shows the improvements and bottle necks of cpus

so you can use a hi end gpu on a slower cpu as long as that cpu dose its task and you get the amount you want.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 3/10/2024 at 11:53 PM, Choli90 said:

I run an i7-4790 here, Haswell being about 11 years old.  

The CPU does limit me a bit on the newest games, but the GPU upgrade (went from a GRX 960 2GB to the RTX 3060 12GB) allows me to run the games I already play, at higher settings and greatly higher resolutions (generally stuff I used to play at 900P 60 fps, I can hit 1440P 60FPS, or even higher now), without putting additional load on the CPU. 

Being able to run my favorite game, Final Fantasy XII, at 4K 60 FPS, with a hint of MSAA, really validated throwing the GPU in my old system. Big upgrade from what my old 960 could do. 

And surprisingly, my config actually holds its own when it comes to Cyberpunk 2077. This was beyond my expectations for this old platform. This is the most demanding game I play semi-regularly. 

Though once Stardew Valley 1.6 comes out, that will probably be my primary game for awhile again, and that runs on potatoes. So I seldom need the capabilities a more modern system offers at this time. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 3/10/2024 at 11:53 PM, Choli90 said:

Because there is no pressure to upgrade the CPU. What's been added since nth-gen CPU? Nothing.

If everything you need works on the thing you have, then why would you change it.

That said, there really is no point in upgrading the CPU/MB/RAM unless the OS forces you. FreeBSD no longer supports hardware commonly found in DDR2 systems. Windows 11 doesn't support any DDR3 systems, and some early systems without a TPM shipped (Eg all ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI MB's. Dell and HP has had upgradable TPM's way back on the 6th/7th gen Intel systems.)

I basically used the 4th gen Intel CPU until it died, it got replaced with an 11th gen Intel, which required a new MB and new RAM.

And that's the crux of it. If Intel would stick to a socket for an entire RAM/PCIe cycle, then people would just upgrade the CPU as needed. But instead Intel releases a new chipset every 2 CPU's, thus making it impossible ever upgrade incrementally. AMD meanwhile sticks to the same socket for the entire RAM/PCIe cycle, reluctantly.

There is eventually going to be a point where MB vendors start having to sell CPU's soldered to the MB because the socket complexity becomes too difficult to retain system stability. Or perhaps moving the RAM and CPU to a "SLocket card" like back with the Socket1/370 design that then only attaches the PCIe pins to the MB.

Because the demand for CPU power isn't as high as GPU power.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

A fast GPU may be sandbagged by a slow CPU, but it also won't hold the rest of the machine back when you do a platform upgrade.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

It's part of an old scenario many of us in the hobby are used to, where CPUS were strong for many years.

It's not really true anymore, but it's hard for people to adjust to that, especially if they don't keep up with the hardware news.

in the roughly 2010-2018 time frame consumer cpus barely got any better, especially in terms of game performance (partially due to the console generation of the time relying on relatively slow CPUs) so it really didn't make much sense to upgrade your CPU regularly. Nowadays if you have a cpu from those times it's probably holding your system back.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 3/11/2024 at 2:08 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

Context of the time matters - keep in mind that at the time people were looking for a suitable upgrade from the Q6600, the first popular quad core (which was really 2 dual core CPUs in the same package i.e. 2 CPU dies, the L2 cache was 2 pools that couldn't be shared across all 4 cores). The Q9650 wasn't really that sensible an upgrade - I have one and it was great for the time but it wasn't the game changer from the GO stepping of the Q6600 when overclocked beyond 3.6GHz.

Enter x58 - which was really the OG HEDT platform, with native quad core support (i.e. combined pools of cache for all 4 cores and a single die) while also offering triple channel memory support. Features that simply haven't appeared in any non-HEDT Intel platform (while also forcing DDR3 upgrades on people with older LGA775 DDR2 based boards, DDR3 LGA775 was very late in the socket lifespan). People who jumped onto the i7-920 probably waited for another similar platform and decided that later HEDT platforms were too expensive, so stuck it out until Skylake or later. That and there wasn't a real 2nd gen LGA1366 set of CPUs to choose from, you had the 9xx range only with a very minor mid-cycle refresh.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)