Nvidia now offering day passes for $4 and $8. But at least we got G-Sync and Reflex right? Right?

filpo
Posted (edited)

Summary
Gamers who never experienced the GeForce NOW service in its Ultimate tier will now have a new option. Rather than committing to monthly subscriptions, one is now given an option to enable game streaming for a single day. NVIDIA is introducing Game Passes that come in two tiers, the standard Priority one and the Ultimate for the best experience.

Daily-PASS-GFNOW-768x692.png

Quotes

Current pricing

• Free (1-hour long sessions, ad supported)
  • Day Pass:
    • Priority Day: $3.99 (24 hours)
    • Ultimate Day: $7.99 (24 hours)
  • Membership
    • Priority: $9.99 (1 month)
    • Priority: $49.99 (6 months) 
    • Ultimate: $19.99 (1 month) 
    • Ultimate: $99.99 (6 months)

G-Sync and Reflex additions

An update for GeForce NOW Windows and macOS adds support for G-Sync in the cloud. By pairing it with new NVIDIA Reflex support for 60 and 120 frames per second streaming options, Ultimate members can experience ultra-low-latency streaming that’s nearly indistinguishable from using a local PC

My thoughts

While reading this it really does seem like an amusing thing. Adding a $4 day pass while a 1 month membership is only $6 more? No doubt someone will buy it, which is why some people are going to be upset about it. I know I am. 

Sources

NVIDIA now offers one-day rentals of GeForce RTX 4080 rigs for $8 via GeForce NOW - VideoCardz.com

GFN Thursday: Day Passes on GeForce NOW | NVIDIA Blog

Edited by filpo

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

What better way to experience GeForce NOW, than toDAY?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I'm struggling a bit on the use case for these. How about something in your PC just died. You ordered a replacement but it arrives tomorrow. You have to game NOW but all you have is a potato backup. Streaming to that could keep you going temporarily? It would be nicer if they offered this as time used offering. So you bought 24h, you get 24h of logged in use, not from when you activate it.

BTW add on unlimited data plans on mobile phones are not so different. On my current provider, it is:

1 day: £3 (3.0/day)

3 day: £5 (1.7/day)

7 day: £10 (1.4/day)

30 day: £17 (0.6/day)

If you don't need it for the duration, you're not getting the full value of it. I recently bought the 30 day extension because I needed to fill a gap of 12 days when I didn't have wired internet due to moving house. Two 7 days packs cost more than one 30 day, although the effective cost of when I actually needed to use it was £1.4/day. It is still active now and I thought I might try outdoor streaming to Twitch as something I might get into later.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

I'm struggling a bit on the use case for these.

z03306y2acp91.webp.fbae97dc03026551534d723e72cc2c04.webp

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

47 minutes ago, porina said:

I'm struggling a bit on the use case for these. How about something in your PC just died. You ordered a replacement but it arrives tomorrow. You have to game NOW but all you have is a potato backup. Streaming to that could keep you going temporarily? It would be nicer if they offered this as time used offering. So you bought 24h, you get 24h of logged in use, not from when you activate it.

BTW add on unlimited data plans on mobile phones are not so different. On my current provider, it is:

If you don't need it for the duration, you're not getting the full value of it. I recently bought the 30 day extension because I needed to fill a gap of 12 days when I didn't have wired internet due to moving house. Two 7 days packs cost more than one 30 day, although the effective cost of when I actually needed to use it was £1.4/day. It is still active now and I thought I might try outdoor streaming to Twitch as something I might get into later.

Yeah actually a 24hr balance type system would be pretty cool. Then you could buy a few days worth for say vacation or business trips where you want to game without dragging around a PC.

4 hours ago, porina said:

Maybe you're on a work trip, and your laptop can't run games. Instead of getting a new laptop for the few days of the work trip you pay 16 dollars for 4 days of gaming. That's one case I can think of 

this isn't the intended use case but you can use this to get non-gaming friends into games you might like, that they don't have the hardware to run. Like a trial service

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I could see this being something one might use for travel or other one off events that wouldn't justify anything more than a one day subscription. 

lets go back to the time of free demos so you could try something out before you buy it.....

8 hours ago, filpo said:

Create the problem, sell the solution

What problem did Nvidia create that this tier solves? I don't really understand. 

3 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

So its a paid 1 day trial.

"Up to"

"Up to"

"Up to"

1 hour ago, Lunar River said:

lets go back to the time of free demos so you could try something out before you buy it.....

They also offer a completely free tier. It just has more limitations, like ads. 

The only thing here that I don't get is the price. 4 dollars seems too munch when an entire month is 10 dollars. 

Maybe if it was 1 dollar I'd get it. Although I really don't get the reactions people in this thread or the comments have. 

53 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What problem did Nvidia create that this tier solves? I don't really understand. 

9 hours ago, filpo said:
  • Free (1-hour long sessions, ad supported)
  •  

I.e. they added ads to their free tier

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

6 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Maybe you're on a work trip, and your laptop can't run games. Instead of getting a new laptop for the few days of the work trip you pay 16 dollars for 4 days of gaming. That's one case I can think of 

The problem with that is the monthly rate is cheaper from the 3rd day on. The day rate is only cheaper if you only intend to use at most 2 days in a month.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd have an emergency that would require me to play games right the hell now, regardless of where I am, that I would consider paying for a day pass game streaming service. At that point, gaming sounds more like an addiction.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

4 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

At that point, gaming sounds more like an addiction.

it already kind of is for some people and it's rather sad.

I'm Not the target audience, would most likely not game than throw away the equivalent of a pint, but for people on a pinch I can see the use case

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd have an emergency that would require me to play games right the hell now, regardless of where I am, that I would consider paying for a day pass game streaming service. At that point, gaming sounds more like an addiction.

Yes because the only possible way someone would pay 4 dollars to play some games is if it was an emergency. It couldn't possibly be because they are traveling for work and happen to want to play some games one day and 4 dollars would allow them to do that. People pay 8 dollars for coffee so 🤷

7 hours ago, filpo said:

I.e. they added ads to their free tier

I am not sure what issue you are talking about Nvidia creating.

Them giving away a free tier which has ads, and also offering a tier which you pay for and don't get ads is in my opinion not Nvidia "creating an issue and selling the solution". It's just them offering various services of different quality.

Unless you think the issue is "the service has to make money somehow" in which case, yes, having to fund the service is certainly an issue. Although I think it's weir dot say that it is an issue that "nvidia created".

I am honestly kind of surprise they have a free tier at all. 

I went to buy Bubble Tea the other day, a small was £4.60, and a large was £5.50. Why would I buy the small when the large was twice the volume almost but only 90p more? So I went to buy the large. 

I didn't finish the large. I wasn't even that thirsty.

Same thing. Nvidia have created themselves an upsell avenue that ensures capture into the higher tiers whilst degrading (somewhat) the free tiers. They're not a trillion dollar company for nothing. 

The free tier is meant to make users think

"Wow this service actually works, but the ads and short session limit really get in the way"

And not

"Wow this service actually works. There is no downside so I shall just keep using it and never have to spend for gaming again"

One would be delusional to think Mr. Leather jacket is going to hand out free lunch for perpetuity.

Although I agree the day pass pricing appears to be deliberate strategy to get people on a subscription.

It does address those who might be thinking "Hey Nvidia any options if I only need access for a day?" or "I refuse to sign up for a subscription"

interesting... however nvidia would need to pay *me* to use their laggy nonsense "game streaming" service ...

i get it, its a good thing for people without a computer,  but for everyone else this will never catch on (hopefully) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 3/8/2024 at 9:46 AM, Avocado Diaboli said:

i mean, gaming *is* an addiction,  but yeah, for whom is this really? want to play on an airplane?  eh, get a laptop or a vita or something  (that's what i do, i have both ! :D) 

i really think this is more meant for casuals that wanna try this gaming thing, they'll also probably think the 3 hours latency for any button presses is normal lol, everyone else would probably avoid game streaming at any cost...

and "but it works for me" is not a good argument,  physics say this literally cannot work properly unless you're like sitting 20m from the cdn, then yes god speed to you ig lol. 

Spoiler

now i actually wanna try this "service" on an airplane...  😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Gaming is not an addiction. Depends what you're playing. If you're playing a whole set of cards to hit the 21, it's technically called gambling.

What is truly an addiction is, a thing you can't stop doing. This is basic human psychology.

I only even ever play Xplane 12, and don't play the blackjack btw...

On 3/10/2024 at 5:39 AM, Motifator said:

Gaming is not an addiction. Depends what you're playing. If you're playing a whole set of cards to hit the 21, it's technically called gambling.

What is truly an addiction is, a thing you can't stop doing. This is basic human psychology.

I only even ever play Xplane 12, and don't play the blackjack btw...

Gaming can be addictive but so can alot of things. I know people who had an addiction to running to the point that they had trouble stopping even when they had shin splints. Really anything can be addictive to some degree especially if it triggers chemicals in the brain like dopamine or for running it could be endorphins. Honestly one of the most common addictions that people don't even think about is sugar. I would imagine there are alot of people who are addicted to sugar. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Gaming can be addictive but so can alot of things. I know people who had an addiction to running to the point that they had trouble stopping even when they had shin splints. Really anything can be addictive to some degree especially if it triggers chemicals in the brain like dopamine or for running it could be endorphins. Honestly one of the most common addictions that people don't even think about is sugar. I would imagine there are alot of people who are addicted to sugar. 

Yeah I turned almost fully vegan some time back in terms of food. 

Sugar? Well, you could see me with lots of.. bubbly orange juice, avocados, etc... not much else. 

Yes, you would be correct in saying anything can be an addiction. But gaming in itself alone is not addiction. Technically, not being able to get your rear up from the PC desk, is the addiction... if you're in your 35's...