why linus never uses western digital and seagate enterprise ssd

aqarwaen29

is there any reason why he havent used any seagate or western digial gold series  ssd.he always talks about using high quality ssd,but we never see him use it IF NOT CIUNTING IN KIOXIA SDD

Just now, aqarwaen29 said:

is there any reason why he havent used any seagate or western digial gold series  ssd.he always talks about using high quality ssd,but we never see him use it IF NOT CIUNTING IN KIOXIA SDD

As far as I know, most of their archive servers capacity is on Seagate Exos drives. And Kioxia simply makes some of the highest capacity SSDs on the market, which makes them a good candidate for the higher speed servers.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

22 minutes ago, aqarwaen29 said:

It has always been my experiance that Seagate and WD arn't really the quality options in the SSD market. I like Seagate's offerings in the HDD space, but IMO when it comes to quality (cost is no object) SSDs you want to look at Samsung, Crucial, Sabrent and Kioxia (their enterprise grade SSDs are apparently good but I don't know much about their consumer side stuff).

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Must be some product beef or reputation cause I recall a few videos of him taking shots at WD, making fun of them. Internet consensus is that these brands aren't as reliable as they market themselves to be but can't say what his reasons are.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Linus uses whatever sponsors give them ... Kioxia sponsored them with loads of those big capacity SSDs.

Seagate sponsored Linus in the past, I think you'll see him use Seagate hard drives a lot in the storage server videos.

Maybe WD sells enough drives that it doesn't feel like sponsoring Linus will make a difference to their bottom line at this point. 

23 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I always find it funny when the concept of a youtuber not using something means its bad or they have a problem with it. The human brain works in mysterious ways. 

Especially if you consider the concept of sponsors. The product they use and tell you about is most likely a product they got paid to use/promote at some point. And as long as there's no issue with it, there's no reason for them to replace it afterwards. And if brand A continues to work for them. there's no reason for them to switch to brand B. Doesn't mean brand B is any worse.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Especially if you consider the concept of sponsors. The product they use and tell you about is most likely a product they got paid to use/promote at some point. And as long as there's no issue with it, there's no reason for them to replace it afterwards. And if brand A continues to work for them. there's no reason for them to switch to brand B. Doesn't mean brand B is any worse.

Yep, they have "stock" of things they've used in the past for sponsored bits so if they're doing something and just need a part, its pulled from inventory of whatever is available. 

All too often in builds you see them using used parts since its all recycled. 

1 hour ago, will0hlep said:

It has always been my experiance that Seagate and WD arn't really the quality options in the SSD market. I like Seagate's offerings in the HDD space, but IMO when it comes to quality (cost is no object) SSDs you want to look at Samsung, Crucial, Sabrent and Kioxia (their enterprise grade SSDs are apparently good but I don't know much about their consumer side stuff).

WD and Seagate don't have very many offerings in the SSD space to begin with. Like they have a pile of conventional spinning disk drives, because that's what their business is built on. WD acquired Sandisk, and has been using Sandisk chips in their WD drives, and is now spinning that off again. Why? Maybe because they want to use other vendors flash chips that might be cheaper or better peformers.

Who knows. But as long as WD owns Sandisk, they are basically compelled to eat their own dogfood. Seagate has been usind SKHynix from what I've seen on the tear downs I've seen.

Pretty sure they just use whatever the sponsors gave to them these days.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Same reason they keep using Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSDs in builds, and the Vault is full of Seagate hard drives: Kioxia gave them a pile of drives for either review or a project, LMG held up its end of the deal, and so that pile of drives ended up in inventory.

Why buy stuff when there's a suitable product sitting on the shelf?

8 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I always find it funny when the concept of a youtuber not using something means its bad or they have a problem with it. The human brain works in mysterious ways. 

He likes hamburgers, therefore he hates hot dogs!

/s

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:40 AM, GuiltySpark_ said:

Hence we have the term "Influencers". 

Some people actually make a living being a influencer. 

Hell, I've even seen them on tv commercials refered to as a online influencer and people take what they say and recommend to heart. 

Nothing but a bunch a sponsor paid hacks in my book. 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

I'm not Linus, but I have used WD drives of all varieties and have never had a problem for over a decade. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

I always figured Linus using SG was a sponsorship thing.

Personally I avoid SG as the plague because back in the days (25 years ago) if a HDD failed it was always a SG drive. They probably have fixed their quality by now but their reputation of poor reliability lives on in me and thus I would never ever use a SG drive.