LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

1 hour ago, Baha said:

Just want to second this. One of the coolest parts of these events, to me, is seeing all of the varied hardware people manage to get up and folding. The highlights for me often aren't the giant beefcake GPUs people are throwing around, but the more inventive or unusual setups -- this particular go around, something I've really liked getting to see is the usage of Pi-based setups (and a network video recorder of all things!) from @AndrewHamOp @Oestle and @HoldSquat. I think it's pretty incredible that we've managed to get tiny power-sipping ARM boards to a point where they can complete WUs in a timely manner, and seeing people tinker with optimizing overclocks on them makes me want to pull my own Pi out of storage to play around with again.

And I'll second this. There's definitely a wide array of people in here. I for one used to be a HS physics teacher and now am a medical physicist in cancer treatment. I just enjoy tech and ALSO like to see numbers go up... except for cancer numbers because F*#$ cancer! I love the community. Especially when we all join in on a little friendly competition like Folding Month and the BOINC Pentathlon.

1 minute ago, Captainmarino said:

Especially when we all join in on a little friendly competition like Folding Month and the BOINC Pentathlon.

In some ways, I prefer the BOINC pent because I don't have to write the blogs and handle the data we get to work together as a team against other communities 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

36 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

In some ways, I prefer the BOINC pent because I don't have to write the blogs and handle the data we get to work together as a team against other communities 

Yeah BOINC is such better piece of software, it's so much better to use... it's only a shame it never took off like Folding did.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Yeah BOINC is such better piece of software, it's so much better to use... it's only a shame it never took off like Folding did.

Interesting, as BOINC looked more complicated to me, it put me off the event as it seemed a chore to compete in.

F@H you turn it on and just leave it alone for the whole event.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

I feel folding is more straight forward tbh, get a name and passkey by signing up, enter those with your team number and is basically it. Also BOINC may not be as big as folding(I'm not sure on the user counts) but it is in no means a small fry and is still a massive amazing project 

I do really think there needs to be more media coverage of these things though 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

53 minutes ago, Captainmarino said:

I just enjoy tech and ALSO like to see numbers go up... except for cancer numbers because F*#$ cancer!

I eat Cancer for breakfast:

image.thumb.png.f2f94ed8a89be63797b738f8e417afa1.png

Seriously though, I've had family members with Breast, Lung and Stomach Cancer - so I do have a vested interest.

If only all those people during the mining boom had been Folding instead though.  I found it hard not to be angry at all that energy effectively wasted for nothing, especially when you consider the pollution from it will lead to more Lung and Skin Cancer risk, even ignoring climate change.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

12 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I eat Cancer for breakfast:

Seriously though, I've had family members with Breast, Lung and Stomach Cancer - so I do have a vested interest.

If only all those people during the mining boom had been Folding instead though.  I found it hard not to be angry at all that energy effectively wasted for nothing, especially when you consider the pollution from it will lead to more Lung and Skin Cancer risk, even ignoring climate change.

Take solace in the fact that some of us bought those ex-mining cards from eBay to fight cancer now.

image.png.3777b3c4a3ef58f3059872d54d1f3a1c.png

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

parkinson,hungiton i been wu on.

a large amount of wu are cancer.

so i opted for less wu that dont get as much compute time

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

... F@H you turn it on and just leave it alone for the whole event.

Now you've gone and cursed yourself

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

12 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

Now you've gone and cursed yourself

All five machines can't all fail at the same time, right?  RIGHT?

Desert Tumbleweed GIF - Desert Tumbleweed Windy - Discover ...

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I feel folding is more straight forward tbh, get a name and passkey by signing up, enter those with your team number and is basically it. Also BOINC may not be as big as folding(I'm not sure on the user counts) but it is in no means a small fry and is still a massive amazing project 

I do really think there needs to be more media coverage of these things though 

Agree, I've never heard of BOINC until I was looking around the forums. I've known about FOH since 2006ish and just finally started.

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

5 minutes ago, HoldSquat said:

Agree, I've never heard of BOINC until I was looking around the forums. I've known about FOH since 2006ish and just finally started.

Welcome to the family, it's never too late to join distributed computing.

Just beware of the PPD bug. If it bytes you, you might find yourself investing a lot more on hardware than before.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Just beware of the PPD bug. If it bytes you, you might find yourself investing a lot more on hardware than before.

PPD Bug?    

Never heard of it…..

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

5 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

PPD Bug?    

Never heard of it…..

It was a joke. "Bug" as in, an actual insect, not a software failure. I figure the "if it bytes you" would give it away, it was a joke about getting addicted to trying to get more points at all costs.

5 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

It was a joke. "Bug" as in, an actual insect, not a software failure. I figure the "if it bytes you" would give it away, it was a joke about getting addicted to trying to get more points at all costs.

oh he knew what you meant 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

oh he knew what you meant 

...right, I just now noticed the username. Ofc.

25 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

All five machines can't all fail at the same time, right?  RIGHT?

Desert Tumbleweed GIF - Desert Tumbleweed Windy - Discover ...

come on linus curse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

19 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

come on linus curse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why I have no plan to pick any of them up, so I can't drop them.

Also only one of them is water cooled.

1 hour ago, Imakuni said:

...right, I just now noticed the username. Ofc.

Guilty as charged....

Mxy Crack.jpg

(had to go back and give GOTSpectrum's meme more facetime)

Edited by Mxyzptlk
context and credit where credit is due.

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

15 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

Guilty as charged....

Mxy Crack.jpg

(had to go back and give this meme more facetime)

Could have at least credited me jeez

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

18 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

Guilty as charged....

Mxy Crack.jpg

(had to go back and give this meme more facetime)

Well I DO in fact have a 1050 stored in my closet that I could put to use...

Nah, never mind. Efficiency is more important, the grid is struggling due to a heat wave right now. It's so bad, we had to fire up the thermal power plants for the first time in 3 years.

17 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Could have at least credited me jeez

✅

16 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Well I DO in fact have a 1050 stored in my closet that I could put to use...

Nah, never mind. Efficiency is more important, the grid is struggling due to a heat wave right now. It's so bad, we had to fire up the thermal power plants for the first time in 3 years.

Heck.. I'm even overclocking a 1050ti to give me all it's worth 🙂

I haven't had to turn on the heat in my house since the 31st.... actually I leave a few windows open at night to keep the house in the 70oF range (+/- 20oC).

7 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

Heck.. I'm even overclocking a 1050ti to give me all it's worth 🙂

I haven't had to turn on the heat in my house since the 31st.... actually I leave a few windows open at night to keep the house in the 70oF range (+/- 20oC).

I wish I could leave the window open.  Mum has a phobia about flying insects and to be fair there's a big issue with people getting bedbugs this year (I think from birds) so it may for once be a legitimate point to keep the windows closed.

Its annoying the UK doesn't have the kinds of windows you can put a screen over, they are largely ones that open outwards and I think she would feel claustrophobic with a screen anyway.

13 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

Oh man, please get me back to winter. Summer is approaching, and yet we're already struggling with max temps of 37/98.6 on Sun, 30/86 on Wed, yesterday was 35/95, and today we're on 33/91.4.