LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

2 minutes ago, HoldSquat said:

Ive set my computer to finish it's WUs since we have come to the end of the month and it's almost midnight here! It's been a pleasure to fold with you all and can't wait to actually not miss signup next time!

It’s not over till the 6th 😉

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

sadly i had to scale down my production aswell, the machines i borrowed from work had to be returned before the end of the month.

I also set my main PC to finish its last WU today and will run the rest of the event on just my main F@H server and a VM on my NAS that's running on 80 threads.

4 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Hey now, the event doesn't end until December 6th 😞 

3 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

It’s not over till the 6th 😉

THE 6TH??? Well NVM LETS FOLD ON!!!

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

15 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Hey now, the event doesn't end until December 6th 😞 

300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

Me, having just installed a new OS onto the SSD I got from black fraud

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 hour ago, Mxyzptlk said:

So much for Living in Ignorance!!!

IMG_0781.thumb.jpeg.22cf9e95f6fd01169a9d2bb9db19e90d.jpeg

Is that all? 😉

You know we did keep telling you to stop. 😛

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Calling in some reinforcements for these last few days of the folding month...

image.png.7f4c394af2551599bd2147be1681c8a2.png

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Alright guys, I'm a little behind schedule but we are on it, and by we I mean me cause we flying solo tonight 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

28 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Alright guys, I'm a little behind schedule but we are on it, and by we I mean me cause we flying solo tonight 

I think it is time for ME to get some extra sleep this time (though you should definitely get some extra as well with your extra COVID run-in), I had to read that no less than 5 times for me to not jumble the words into some magical word soup.

3 hours ago, Imakuni said:

300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

Me, having just installed a new OS onto the SSD I got from black fraud

Grrrrrrr... this just reminds me of my responsibilities involving reinstalling my Linux operating system to upgrade Debian from 11 to 12 (my servers are all running 12, and my poor laptop is currently on 11 despite being the most powerful system in my home)...

2 minutes ago, soccermomisqueen said:

I think it is time for ME to get some extra sleep this time (though you should definitely get some extra as well with your extra COVID run-in), I had to read that no less than 5 times for me to not jumble the words into some magical word soup.

sweet dreams

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

13 minutes ago, soccermomisqueen said:

Grrrrrrr... this just reminds me of my responsibilities involving reinstalling my Linux operating system to upgrade Debian from 11 to 12 (my servers are all running 12, and my poor laptop is currently on 11 despite being the most powerful system in my home)...

This is why for home use I stick to Fedora.  I upgraded several of my machines yesterday and the only caveat was the NVIDIA driver broke so I had manually run depmod to fix it.  I didn't do a clean install for about 5 years on my home server and only then because I built a new system with NVME when I was using SATA before.

The only problem with that was Foldbox2 refused to boot until I added nomodeset=1, then depmod and reboot - which meant hooking up a monitor.  Of course once you've isolated the issue with one box, the others are a lot easier to deal with.

I finally relented and ordered an AURGA Viewer which will hopefully make this less of a hassle.  Remote servers ironically would be easier as I wouldn't need to use the GPU in graphical mode to begin with, plus KVM/IPMI.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

well i did not move in rank. but i had to call isp and demand a tech. internet been worst now after getting  replacement gateway

i had both pc not getting any work due to  Internet issue.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Just now, dogwitch said:

well i did not move in rank. but i had to call isp and demand a tech. internet been worst now after getting  replacement gateway

i had both pc not getting any work due to  Internet issue.

That's when it really sucks, when you have everything sat there ready and no connectivity.

I do everything I can to avoid that with 5G failover, though its possible if it was an actual fibre break it could take both out as they both presumably go back to the same telephone exchange though taking slightly different routes.

i was looking at folding.lar.systems and the CPU numbers don't make sense to me. Does anyone know why the 12600k shows nearly 6 million PPD, more than all other CPUs and most GPUs as well?

AMD Ryzen 5600x, NVIDIA 3090 FE, 2 x 16 DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB 860 EVO, Dual 24" 1080p, RM1000x, Noctua NH-U12S, 220T RGB

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

This is why for home use I stick to Fedora.  I upgraded several of my machines yesterday and the only caveat was the NVIDIA driver broke so I had manually run depmod to fix it.  I didn't do a clean install for about 5 years on my home server and only then because I built a new system with NVME when I was using SATA before.

The only problem with that was Foldbox2 refused to boot until I added nomodeset=1, then depmod and reboot - which meant hooking up a monitor.  Of course once you've isolated the issue with one box, the others are a lot easier to deal with.

I would go with another operating system, but I just enjoy the (relative) stability of Debian with it still being a debian-based (duh) operating system. it is also nice to have the EXACT same packages available on my laptop for development purposes before I screw something up on my server that may be actively serving requests for clients (I have had one too many things mentioning that something broke due to me being an idiot) XD

The only problem I have ever had with the NVIDIA drivers have been when I did not use the ones from the Debian repos, and the installer yelled at me (then my OS said "you little $#!T, dont use the one from NVIDIA, use ours that will get updated in a few months.").

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I finally relented and ordered an AURGA Viewer which will hopefully make this less of a hassle.  Remote servers ironically would be easier as I wouldn't need to use the GPU in graphical mode to begin with, plus KVM/IPMI.

The push came from having Ubuntu 16.04 installed on a couple of servers, and I wanted my operating system to not be as bloated (and less advertising built in), especially since one is a Core 2 DUO, and another is a 4-gen Core i5.

The AUGRA viewer seems really cool and sort of reminds me of the wireless GTX 460 that was looked at on LTT (video link: https://youtu.be/_cLsK2YZwDU), just without the GPU... the most comparable thing to it is probably the PiKVM though...

6 minutes ago, SpaceRazor said:

i was looking at folding.lar.systems and the CPU numbers don't make sense to me. Does anyone know why the 12600k shows nearly 6 million PPD, more than all other CPUs and most GPUs as well?

Looking at the details page for the 12600k, it is either the servers (and/or clients) had a brain fart and used the GPU and CPU combined numbers, or the CPUs that were used for the numbers just hit a massive batch of workloads that were perfectly optimized for CPU folding since the top 4 in the ranking chart are the only ones that are above the "average performance of the CPU"

image.thumb.png.ac078e3a62eb49af620ddaf8a97016e2.png

image.thumb.png.948fa4d594d0966043f3ff88004ad4ea.png

Another thing that is interesting as well is that the CPU folding times are very low and seem to be very GPU-like (I am basing that off of a i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz taking about 8 hours on 8 cores to complete 1 WU).

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's when it really sucks, when you have everything sat there ready and no connectivity.

I do everything I can to avoid that with 5G failover, though its possible if it was an actual fibre break it could take both out as they both presumably go back to the same telephone exchange though taking slightly different routes.

yeah i have a 5g hot spot data like 100gb a year worth. per year it refill really slow.

after the hurricane last year i empty it  all out i had saved up with my roll over data.(cell phone provider)

i mean i did get ride of 1 bad wire that was a issue in my  home network. i also found out 1 device cannot take any erroe what so ever in data(that also been taken off ).

every other wiring and the gate way itself are working correctly.

i pay for 800 mb plan  and getting 89 mb odd hours and even worst in peak hours.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

9 minutes ago, da na said:

Been messing around with some old ATi Catalyst drivers lately, many of them actually have an option to install F@H right from the driver installer. Pretty neat!

image.thumb.png.51d6c3f60e43ed0bdb706a8a2ca17eb1.png

Oh my god! I forgot all about that! I used to run ATI back in the day and remember seeing that. It stuck with me because I used to run SETI@Home back in college. Anyone else?

As the November 30th numbers are in, and as I'm not even part of the event, I'm finishing up on 3 of 4 systems. I'm happy with today's sprint, although I did observe some Fallout 76 and Genshin Impact daily's going on, that have hurt my results:

image.png.d4d9cf7fbf4d3edd662420ccab29ceeb.png

It's been fun folding with the big dogs for a couple of days. (Points Today, #14 on the team.)

My goal on Saturday was to get back into the team top 1,500, but if I keep my main PC Folding, I can probably make it into the team top 1,000 within the next 3 days.

A takeaway from this experience is that the Ryzen 7950X3D seem to fold at a very high and consistent frequency. The 5950X and 5900X frequencies appear to bounce around a lot. The 3800X seems stable enough, just with a much lower clock speed. Quite surprising to see just how much more Folding grunt a RTX 3080 Ti (10,240 shaders) has over a RTX 3080 (8,704 shaders), given how you don't see a comparable uplift in gaming FPS. However, the 4070 Ti seems to be the big winner for Folding efficiency.

As I sit here, my electrical rate is CAD $0.141 per kWh, high enough to not maintain today's sprint level (~48 kWh for the day) for any significant amount of time. For the hard core Folders here who don't have your own solar power system, your ongoing financial commitment to Folding must be considerable 😉

Happy Folding!

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

aiming at end of event to have hit 750 million points total.