Nintendo to use denuvo in future titles

Lightning

Summary

Denuvo protection software is now available for game developers of the nintendo switch. This is mainly to combat switch emulation on the PC. This is likely done to combat the early leakage of high profile games such has Zelda TOTK.

Quotes

The firm claims that its solution integrates "seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience" in order to block emulators, preventing games from being pirated and emulated on PC so that "studios are able to increase their revenue during the game launch window, which is the most important period for monetization".

My thoughts

This news might impact those who bought the steam deck to use as a switch emulator and also game preservation. The real question is, would this have any affect in combating piracy anyway? Since denuvo will get cracked eventually. 

Sources

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/08/denuvos-switch-emulator-protection-is-now-available-via-nintendos-official-dev-portal#:~:text=Denuvo protection software is now,now available (via VGC).

Oh just what the switch needs something else to slow it down... Not like Denuvo is ever known for causing performance issues in games. Nor is it known for being cracked immediately and doing nothing to stop pirates anyways... Pretty sure I don't even need to post sources for any of those statements...

Denuvo is a joke to experienced crackers. It seems to be taken down now and then. The issue is especially this. Knowing it causes performance issues on Windows, and considering that the switch is using dated hardware, it will hurt gamer experience more than it can hurt revenue from sales. This will lead to more people emulating once cracks are available and denuvo completly removed from games...

5 minutes ago, imPaTT said:

This will lead to more people emulating once cracks are available and denuvo completly removed from games...

I'm going to laugh if it actually leads to some easier / better method to emulate in the end. That would be the ironic twist this story deserves.

Apparently selling 10 million copies of ToTK within 3 days after launch is not enough eh.

It will get cracked sooner or later. And if they really do implement denuvo on switch, then some bright peoples in emu world will have a big reason to get into denuvo cracking as well.

It will help with slowing down the speed of illegal roms being published/shared. Although I'm not sure whether people who rip legit roms for personal use (like to use emu on high end PC for more fps or something) will like the implementation or not.

And yeah, if it makes games runs like shit, there will be a heavy backlash.

I heard it's quite either a miracle or an astounding display of sheer willpower, that ToTK can be played in emu as nicely as it is in a pretty short time.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I remember their old anti piracy methods, can’t wait to see how these go…

Spoiler

Sad to see anti piracy screens on Youtube disappear. 😭

I like computers. And watching them blow up while playing GTA 5. Remember to update to Windows 11! 😁 

Forum Member

Spoiler

Brroooooo spiders are the only web developers that enjoy finding bugs.

Forum Member Definition:

A person who participates on an internet forum. Also called a forumite. So why does the word forumite remind me of a species of mites?

knowing nintendo's online services, this will crash and not connect correctly in its dial-up system

2 hours ago, emosun said:

hey shout out to the 3 people on earth who're doing that

I belong to a Steam Deck group on Facebook. There's a hell of a lot more than 3 people doing it. Half the posts are about emulation. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I belong to a Steam Deck group on Facebook. There's a hell of a lot more than 3 people doing it. Half the posts are about emulation. 

oh really? 3 wasn't an accurate  count? no way

2 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

It will help with slowing down the speed of illegal roms being published/shared.

Problem is the game being widely available before even being released. 

I don't think ripping your own games is an issue. 

3 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

don't think ripping your own games is an issue.

In the eyes of Nintendo is a big fucking issue. They dont care if you bought it or not, you will only play it on their hardware. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

In the eyes of Nintendo is a big fucking issue. They dont care if you bought it or not, you will only play it on their hardware. 

Well, not sure about you guys, but I'm not expecting the switch sucessor to be nearly as successful as it was. If they do that, I doubt they will gain much. 

3 hours ago, Lightning said:

Denuvo protection software is now available

And the story should've ended there with bankruptcy afterwards. Sadly here we are.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 hours ago, Lightning said:

The real question is, would this have any affect in combating piracy anyway? Since denuvo will get cracked eventually. 

Well on a PC, "cracking" it is basically just stripping it out of the working game binary. Something that is trivially easy to do, and people do it because it imposes a unwarranted performance load on the device.

But on a Switch? I think it won't do a thing. The point of emulating anything is that it emulates the device perfectly, and I don't see how it would prevent dumping and emulating it. It might only prevent creating counterfeit cartridges (made in china/HK, Korea) because that's been a problem for Nintendo with every cartridge console.

A lot of those counterfeit-playing consoles tend to come out of Korea and China as well. I'm not going point any fingers, but when even LMG seems to think these pirate consoles are things to review on the channel, it shows a lack of care about the legalities of even being in possession of these devices.

I love how Denuvo changed their selling point to that they keep the game uncracked long enough for most of the sales to come in.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Or, you know, Nintendo could just publish their games for the PC too.

Why they're hellbent on excluding themselves from other markets is beyond me. Some people aren't interested in buying a console.

Meh, like that will do anything. Denuvo games still get cracked like anything else before....

Edited by jagdtigger

33 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I love how Denuvo changed their selling point to that they keep the game uncracked long enough for most of the sales to come in.

Not surprising, given that gamers are historically impatient. They pre-order games time and time again, even though people have been advising against it for years and implored them to wait for reviews and reports of quality and performance. So when the choice is to buy the game to play it now and be part of the conversation, which is arguably a more important reason to some than actually enjoying the game on its own merits, or wait for a couple of days/weeks for a cracked version and the difference between the two is a couple of million sales, the choice is already made. No amount of complaining, even from actual paying customers, will convince publishers and developers to not include DRM when its inclusion is the very reason, at least in their eyes, of those sales over piracy from day 1. 

I think that's the important bit that people who see this, shrug and say "so what, it'll be cracked eventually anyway" miss. Every type of DRM has the potential to be circumvented in the future, it's just a matter of how long that time window is and how many people are willing to dedicate themselves to that task. But the window for actual large-scale profit is fairly narrow, barring any future resurgence in popularity. That's what this type of DRM exists to protect.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

7 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Problem is the game being widely available before even being released.

Then IMHO the question Nintendo should ask themselves instead of Denuvo-ing is : Who could leak the rom before launch date.

Because... what's next ? a rom leak before Denuvo get baked into it ? 🤣 . That'd be funny tho.

I don't think ripping your own games is an issue. 

For me, it's not an issue. For Nintendo it's a big issue.

Anyway, I meant that putting denuvo in will greatly hinder peoples who wants rip their own cartridge for personal use too.
then they gonna have to rely on pirate version, and that means they are already 1 full step into the world of pirated roms.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

8 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Well, not sure about you guys, but I'm not expecting the switch sucessor to be nearly as successful as it was. If they do that, I doubt they will gain much. 

If people want the first party titles they will buy the console. Any way you slice it Nintendo will be successful. I do agree it might not take off like the switch as there are more devices in the space like the Steam Deck and the ROG Ally that put up stiff competition. But the competition can't legally play Nintendo games, thats why Nintendo will be successful because the have their catalog of games you can't get anywhere else. 

17 hours ago, imPaTT said:

Denuvo is a joke to experienced crackers. It seems to be taken down now and then.

Um... no. More precisely, it depends on what level of Denuvo they're using. The full Monty, while crackable, takes a shitload of time. However, given this statement "seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience" the Switch games will be using the lowest level possible, which is easily crackable.

Strange. They're gonna reduce profit margins... for paying De Nuvo?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂