HP Printers requiring Ink for the scanner to function

Rysters Tech

Summary

HP All in one printers (which is a printer, fax machine, scanner all built into one unit) requiring ink to scan or fax, even though the only reason the ink is needed is that HP says so.

Quotes

[Source: Associated Press]

On Aug. 10, a federal judge ruled that HP Inc. must face a class-action lawsuit claiming that the company designs its “all-in-one” inkjet printers to disable scanning and faxing functions whenever a single printer ink cartridge runs low. The company had sought — for the second time — to dismiss the lawsuit on technical legal grounds.

“It is well-documented that ink is not required in order to scan or to fax a document, and it is certainly possible to manufacture an all-in-one printer that scans or faxes when the device is out of ink,” the plaintiffs wrote in their complaint. “Indeed, HP designs its all-in-one printer products so they will not work without ink. Yet HP does not disclose this fact to consumers.”

My thoughts

The fact that HP requires ink to be present for the scanner part of the printer to work is unbelievably anti-consumer, because anyone who even has a rough idea of how a scanner functions will know that it does not need ink to scan a document and convert it to a digital file (usually a .png) for viewing and transmission on a computer, phone or whatever it is. Standalone scanners which do not contain a printer have existed for a long time and still do to some extent, but not one of them even has a way to feed the machine an ink cartridge, as the machine couldn't do anything with it. 

To be very clear here, HP is not the only one to pull this kind of a stunt, but it the most recently covered and notable. It seems that HP is trying to force users of their products to buy ink from them even if there is no actual need for it, and if you are only scanning pages, there is no need. The excuse of this being a bug doesn't hold any water, if it was a bug, well HP has had years to fix it, and so far it seems they havent. 

Sources

https://apnews.com/article/hp-printers-scanner-disabled-low-ink-9d8a0e3b5b49bb408467f7f75735ab0a https://www.courthousenews.com/class-action-against-hp-over-all-in-one-printers-survives-motion-to-dismiss/ https://www.classaction.org/blog/design-flaw-hp-printers-wont-scan-fax-when-ink-is-low-class-action-alleges

2 minutes ago, Rysters Tech said:

but it the most recent and notable

Recent? My 2006 hp does this too 😛

Granted just a strip of aluminium foil to connect the pins makes it happy and work

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Recent? My 2006 hp does this too 😛

Granted just a strip of aluminium foil to connect the pins makes it happy and work

I meant most recently covered by news, and the article has been adjusted to convey that, but either way i wish that were surprising.

Corps gonna corp, more news at 11

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

What is a "good" printer brand nowadays? It seems like all of them have practices or history of doing stuff like this. I don't know what to recommend to people any more

HP tends make their products like this. Kind of ridiculous right?

I like computers. And watching them blow up while playing GTA 5. Remember to update to Windows 11! 😁 

Forum Member

Spoiler

Brroooooo spiders are the only web developers that enjoy finding bugs.

Forum Member Definition:

A person who participates on an internet forum. Also called a forumite. So why does the word forumite remind me of a species of mites?

Wait, seriously?

I have an HP printer and I can scan with it, despite my ink being empty. Is this a new thing? An old thing? Something that only happens in certain regions?

Knowing how frivolous some lawsuits are, and how technologically illiterate a lot of people can be, I honestly question if this lawsuit is accurate.

I mean, one of the articles claims HP "bricks scanners" which I think is a very big stretch. Disable the function? Yes. But when I hear "brick"  used as a verb I think of irreversible damage, not just temporarily shutting something off. I wouldn't say "Microsoft bricked by computer" if they inactivated my Windows license for example.

There are a lot of reasons we can hate on printers, but this seems a bit too cartoonishly evil, and it doesn't align with my experience so I will withhold judgment until some more evidence is presented.

Apparently, Canon was sued for the same thing two years ago and settled outside of court. I wonder what happened with that.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, seriously?

I have an HP printer and I can scan with it, despite my ink being empty. Is this a new thing? An old thing? Something that only happens in certain regions?

Knowing how frivolous some lawsuits are, and how technologically illiterate a lot of people can be, I honestly question if this lawsuit is accurate.

I mean, one of the articles claims HP "bricks scanners" which I think is a very big stretch. Disable the function? Yes. But when I hear "brick"  used as a verb I think of irreversible damage, not just temporarily shutting something off. I wouldn't say "Microsoft bricked by computer" if they inactivated my Windows license for example.

There are a lot of reasons we can hate on printers, but this seems a bit too cartoonishly evil, and it doesn't align with my experience so I will withhold judgment until some more evidence is presented.

Apparently, Canon was sued for the same thing two years ago and settled outside of court. I wonder what happened with that.

It's complicated, it really depends on who made it. Like some of the bigger HP cutting plotters are actually rebadged units from Summa, etc. HP also bought Samsung's printer division a couple of years ago, so some of their products are in fact rebadged old Samsung units that have exactly zero-DRM and will accept anything that smells even remotely like a toner. Which is to say, it's a minefield and you really got to check online what you're getting if you buy HP printers, because some of them have "legendary" DRM. (I especially like the part where it locks up your printer permanently if you ever subscribe to the ink refill program for example.)

All of which is to say, HP Inc. is cartoonishly evil, and as far as I'm concerned the real HP legacy is carried on by Keysight. The only thing HP has going for them is that they're not quite as evil as Nestle, Oracle, or Lexmark, but I'm sure they're working on it.

51 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Usually an oversight or you paid for a ultra deluxe one or a yearly refresh throwaway.

A lot have this feature of no work till ink but a good few were basically forgotten.

Unfortunatly consumer printers (Especially HP) are notoriously known for pulling this sort of things with limiting functionality due to a lack of ink.

Some printers have even been known to have this "feature" added via a firmware update so if you have a printer that doesn't have this "feature" then I would research the firmware updates before applying them.

Needless to say printers continue to be one of the worst consumer devices. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

18 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

Unfortunatly consumer printers (Especially HP) are notoriously known for pulling this sort of things with limiting functionality due to a lack of ink.

Some printers have even been known to have this "feature" added via a firmware update so if you have a printer that doesn't have this "feature" then I would research the firmware updates before applying them.

Needless to say printers continue to be one of the worst consumer devices. 

As a general rule, unless if they're network connected or have issues, never update printer firmware.

5 hours ago, Rysters Tech said:

Quotes

My thoughts

The fact that HP requires ink to be present for the scanner part of the printer to work is unbelievably anti-consumer,

IMO, given HP (and Canon)'s previous behavior in regards to inkjets, this comes as no surprise. 

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/11/23067867/canon-hp-class-action-lawsuit-scan-without-ink-settlement

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2022/1/11/22878850/canon-printer-ink-toner-break-drm-chip-shortage-fake

Benefit of the doubt, the printer probably only uses one logic board for both the scanner and printer. So having no ink probably raises an error to "resolve" before the multifunction printer sends an "OK" to the driver.

But no, HP, Canon, Epson, etc have all been pulling this since the '90's where first it was the expensive ink, then they started putting chips in the ink tanks so you couldn't refill them. So I'm pretty confident in saying this was deliberate.

Jokes on them, I have a separate scanner. The multi-function printer I have is at least 18 years old. The scanner is newer. I would suggest to people to eliminate the printer, and if you need to print something badly, take it to work (if you work in an office) or go to the UPS/Fedex store/Staples/Public Library to print it.

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with HP printers. My next printer will be an Epson most likely.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. (Jeremy Clarkson)

2 minutes ago, Mrtoyou said:

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with HP printers. My next printer will be an Epson most likely.

Epson ain't much better, look into getting a Brother printer if you really need one. Brother mostly seems to have stayed away from the really sketchy stuff.

Edit: But do check for the specific model you wish to get, they're not all good.

4 hours ago, post_screen said:

What is a "good" printer brand nowadays? It seems like all of them have practices or history of doing stuff like this. I don't know what to recommend to people any more

Brother

7 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:
12 hours ago, post_screen said:

Brother

This, takes third party parts like nobody's business.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Went over an pulled my toner out and the scanner worked. Must be limited to certain models.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

For those wondering what printers are specifically mentioned in the complaint that have the issue:

• HP Deskjet 2755e
  • HP DeskJet 3755
  • HP DeskJet 4155e
  • HP ENVY 6055e
  • HP ENVY 6075
  • HP ENVY 6455e
  • HP ENVY Pro 6475
  • HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 8025
  • HP DeskJet 2622
  • HP DeskJet 2655

PDF: https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/hp-all-in-one-amended-complaint.pdf

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Figured it was certain models.

Possibly its a firmware bug or possibly intentional thing, hard to make a copy from a scan if there is no ink. But I understand the frustration if our only scanning to pc and that ends up stopping you from the scan. /shrug.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 8/17/2023 at 2:34 PM, post_screen said:

Brother is the only printer brand I'll willingly buy unless I have a very specific reason to get something else. I've owned multiple Brother printers over the years, and my current inkjet is an all-in-one Brother unit that is several years old. It just sits on my home network and works like a charm (as long as the ink cartridges are fine), and it doesn't even require extra drivers for at least Windows and macOS. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

the funny thing is this could just be a product of lazy programming. 

"if there's an error dont do anything"

instead of using some logic to determine if the error is even related to/interferes with a certain function.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

50 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

the funny thing is this could just be a product of lazy programming. 

"if there's an error dont do anything"

instead of using some logic to determine if the error is even related to/interferes with a certain function.

Nah, that's their excuse in court, plausible deniability etc. I've seen assholes at work propose similar things for other devices, and some folks just go along with it instead of pointing out it breaks the universal first rule.

On 8/18/2023 at 12:21 AM, Kisai said:

Benefit of the doubt, the printer probably only uses one logic board for both the scanner and printer. So having no ink probably raises an error to "resolve" before the multifunction printer sends an "OK" to the driver.

that's exactly what happens. the only thing that is "malice" here in the "do not ascribe to malice" thing, is that HP's enterprise gear allows you to "nope" the errors and continue printing after you agree that doing so might degrade print quality.

also - this is a news thing every other month, when yet another news outlet's freelance writer has this with their preferred flavour of home scan/print combo. at thsi point i wonder if any of them owns a brother printer, or if all of them just go to the big box store, and buy the shiniest box..

as for the ink cartridge chip thing.. it's such a garbage thing to do, but so is what the 3rd party ink guys are doing.. there is at least one "cheap ink screw big corpo" vendor here who will sell you a HP printer, sell you their aftermarket cartridges for said printer, and then when their shit-ass ink makes a mess on their shit-ass paper blame HP for the problem... yet they do not sell brother printers that do not have this problem to begin with. it really is a case of "everyone in this argument is wrong, and either way the consumer is screwed."

On 8/19/2023 at 5:00 PM, DildorTheDecent said:

For those wondering what printers are specifically mentioned in the complaint that have the issue:

• HP Deskjet 2755e
  • HP DeskJet 3755
  • HP DeskJet 4155e
  • HP ENVY 6055e
  • HP ENVY 6075
  • HP ENVY 6455e
  • HP ENVY Pro 6475
  • HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 8025
  • HP DeskJet 2622
  • HP DeskJet 2655

PDF: https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/hp-all-in-one-amended-complaint.pdf

Thank you. I remember as I watched Louis's video on this and read a story about it, no where did anyone mention what printers this was about. In fairness I was thinking that HP does sell some models cheaper that require a subscription to their ink service. For example the laser printer on my desk has a model like that. I paid more and got a version that didn't have that restriction. So when I heard this story, I was wondering if this was one of those kind of deals?