Cancel Your Floatplane Subscription. Don't Buy Their Merch.

geokilla
5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

While true I am more of the mind that you should always look at multiple outlets before making a judgments on products performance because not everyone tests the same thing and in the same way so of you go off of one outlets data you miss something. Depending on the testing method a product could look way better than it actually is so good to look at multiple different places for info. 

I fully agree and I always do but we can't expect everyone too or pretend like everyone does. LTT is the leading tech channel and a lot of people will only look at them and although mistakes will happen and not all pc hardware is exactly the same from the same model it doesnt excuse the lack of process and fixes that happen to those mistakes. Its not ok when you are made aware of a mistake you dont actively fix it.

5 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Oh absolutely, and I don't want it to come across as me giving Linus an exception here. I'm just willing to wait a bit longer for a more levelheaded response before making my decision. Cancelling my subscriptions isn't off the table, though to be entirely fair LMG hardly makes anything from my Floatplane subscription since I only pay $3/month. 

Yep. I haven't been here as long as you have, but I've been watching LTT for around a decade and I've had a forum account since January 2016 (not this account, obviously, but my old account). I joined Floatplane when it was still a section here on the forum, and I've enjoyed seeing it grow into something more mature over the years. I'm thoroughly disappointed by Linus right now, but I've been here long enough to know that there's still a chance he'll come around and see how wrong he is, and I'm willing to give him that chance. Now I just hope he takes it and turns things around. 

I am in the same exact boat. My 3 bucks a month was a subscription cost I willingly paid (even tho I watch LMG content on YouTube…. With my YouTube premium account…… it’s just easier to chromecast YouTube and watch all my different content creators on one platform) simply to help support a community and brand I enjoy consuming content from. To me, it’s a simple way to help signal my support and signal I want them to keep doing what they are doing. 

Right now, my confidence has been slightly shook. I am not going anywhere anytime soon, but I would like to see a more well thought out response to this. I think Linus missed a huge part of this in his response yesterday, that being we are just looking for confirmation they see the issues and will address them. I am a defendant of trust me bro, because over the 14 years I have seen him make the right call and do the right thing. But in order to uphold trust me bro, you have to continue to do the right thing.

Personally, all I want is them to actually address this on WAN, and commit to addressing the issues presented. That’s all anyone can ask for of anyone else, or any company for that matter. Take the blows when they come your way so you can be trusted when you claim something as a win or when you throw blows towards someone else. 

I have a feeling Luke will bring it up on WAN regardless… been around here long enough to anticipate that. If he doesn’t, I’d be even more shocked. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Looks like people aren't happy with everything and it's starting to have an effect on things.

Here is what the numbers were from an hour ago.

image.thumb.png.47dd251290fb1572201391d4e979738a.png

Here is what they are now.

image.thumb.png.c85b42de8a3a0cb882806ae707fcc16b.png

I wonder how low it'll go...

1 hour ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Sure you did. 😉

You and your brand new profile.

So new accounts don't have right to speak?

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Looks like people aren't happy with everything and it's starting to have an effect on things.

I don't think 300 subs will affect LMG's point of view on this but it is a change in direction and they should acknowledge it

That's just my take

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

People should continue to watch LTT content, only difference: Use adblock.

He called out users of Adblock as pirates in the past, Ironic because not a few weeks ago, he was okay with reviewing bootleg consoles containing stolen videogames.

1 minute ago, filpo said:

I don't think 300 subs will affect LMG's point of view on this but it is a change in direction and they should acknowledge it

That's just my take

It's dropped by over a thousand in the last day and relatively for the size of floatplane that is a substantial amount.

1 minute ago, Texbobcat said:

It's dropped by over a thousand in the last day and relatively for the size of floatplane that is a substantial amount.

Still won't affect too much. When it gets to 2k call me (Don't actually call me since i'll be under a rock anyways)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

5 minutes ago, filpo said:

Still won't affect too much. When it gets to 2k call me (Don't actually call me since i'll be under a rock anyways)

@imreloadin

We were at 41.2K before this entire thing started.

We're down 1.7k so far

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Also keep in mind that there is the "I signed up for a single month of floatplane for the LTX digital pass access for merch" and it's coming up on a month since LTX merch access, and is likely a month since some people signed up to be able to get it. 

I imagine their subscriptions will be fine overall but until they address and resolve the current slew of issues brought forth, I am sure there will be dent made. This is expected, though - even when the channel on the receiving end is entirely innocent. Drama causes a lot of rash and drastic reactions from some folks in the community. This is why it's important to not just post a quick forum message but rather get out in front of the allegations and address them head-on and resolve anything that needs to be resolved.

Some of Linus's comments are very disheartening. I'm not surprised at all people decide "nope you don't deserve my money".

Like he claimed they have arranged with Billet Lab about compensation. But GN found out that Billet lab claims LMG didn't respond to Billet Lab's request to get reimbursement, only AFTER GN published the video. Billet Lab didn't even respond with a quote when GN asked about it...

Come on...  Dude...

28 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Merged to previous thread about same subject.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

@imreloadin

We were at 41.2K before this entire thing started.

We're down 1.7k so far

Yep, and considering that the lowest subscription level is $5 that is quite the chunk of change...

I’m going to buy the thinner backpack they’re releasing later, need a replacement for my old MOS Blackpack.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

5 minutes ago, codemak said:

This thread topic is kind of disgusting.  LTT has improved tons of peoples lives with entertainment, and contributed to many others by getting them involved in tech and the PC space (i'm sure even many of them are even the commenting pitch forks).

Linus is not 'the man'.  He is just not a kid anymore as much as the he puts on that hat for many of his videos.  Give the company a chance to react to the criticism.  LTT can say all the words they want, but it's not going to change LTTs goals to be the best company they can be.  The company is changing for sure as it's growing and has a new CEO, but that doesn't mean they lost their heart.  I can't imagine the challenge to make that step.  There are going to be problems along the way.  The current ones are relatively small problems in the grand scheme of what the company can be, bringing more youth into the tech world and teaching them about computers other than how to touch smart screens.

It's okay to be unhappy with LTT, but this is not the right reaction.

A culture where pointing out mistakes is this problematic needs to be criticized. LMG should be held to a higher standard because it’s an industry leading and inspirational company, not let off the hook. 

LMG is by definition, the man. It’s the single most important outlet covering consumer tech, full stop. You don’t need to defend a 100,000,000 dollar company, you need to ask them to do better, because they have the agency to do so and their conduct has consequences. Go watch 5 videos from 2018 and tell me LTT main channel videos haven’t taken a step back. 

☮️

I7-13700k |MSI Z790 Carbon |Gigabyte RX 6800 XT |32GB DDR5 6000 Crucial |1TB M.2 Crucial |Fractal North |Deepcool AK400 |Seasonic Prime GX 850w

Youtube Sub since Febuary 2017

11 minutes ago, codemak said:

It's okay to be unhappy with LTT, but this is not the right reaction.

Linus has made it abundantly clear that the only thing he cares about at this point is money so not buying merch/cancelling subscriptions is the only way people can voice their disdain with him regarding these controversies in a way that he will understand. Vote with your wallet and all that.

42 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Yep, and considering that the lowest subscription level is $5 that is quite the chunk of change...

With 1.7K lost that is about $100K a year lost on the low end, it also seems to still be continuing to lose members. Still hoping linus doesn't leave it like that and come back with something a bit better.

1 hour ago, TylerD321 said:

It is my understanding that this is incorrect. Here is what linus said:

And he didn't call Billet until 2 hours after the GN video went live, and then he wordsmithed it to look like they had an in-place deal already. He misled again.

3 hours ago, geokilla said:

Since Linus only cares about money, the obvious thing to do is to cancel your Floatplane subscription. Also don't buy their merch. Who in their right mind is going to pay $250 USD or $70 USD for a backpack and screwdriver respectively?

Don't tell me what to do.

3 hours ago, geokilla said:

Who in their right mind is going to pay $250 USD or $70 USD for a backpack and screwdriver respectively?

Floatplane subscription sure, merch I think is slightly different. At the end of the day, the Merch is still extremely high quality, and that probably won't really change regardless of what Linus did now, 5 years ago or 5 years earlier. Kinda like if the CEO of Newegg did something bad, doesn't mean everything on Newegg (or even Newegg itself) is automatically complete garbage. 

I personally never really bought the merch because it was supporting LTT or whatever, I bought it because it's genuinely good stuff, far better than what other companies sell, and that's good enough for me.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

I unsubscribed. Been a youtube watcher since the start, floatplane since I could justify the cost - unfortunately with everything that has happened means I can not actively support Linus until the head of LMG takes on board everything that has happened, makes a statement and Linus also.

It is unfortunate that Luke and his team are going to take a hit. He always seems to be more professional and able to process that he might have made a mistake.

Terran - you need to sort this out, in a public facing manner. Linus - my advice is to suck it up, listen to what Luke and Terran advise.

After that - my subscription and future purchases may restart.

2 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Considering the size of the LTT community, this is barely a drop in the ocean. 

People like yourself may want LTT to fail, but the community wont suddenly disappear

Few people are saying that they want LTT to fail. People simply want to send a message. The way LTT has acted throughout this entire debacle is terrible and change needs to happen. So the best way to send that message is to vote with our wallets. If change happens then people can go back