Cancel Your Floatplane Subscription. Don't Buy Their Merch.

geokilla
3 minutes ago, gonace said:

Sorry, but this seems idiotic, if you like Floatplane you should not unsubscribe and punish everyone on the Floatplane team just because LTT is doing something you don't like.

Yes Floatplane and LTT are run by LMG, but if you like the product you unsubbing will only make things worse for a product you like.

I'm not saying you should not be concerned about the LTT "incident", but to me, it seems weird to take your anger out on people that has little to do with Linus and/or LTT.

For me i Canceled Floatplane today, but that is different, i have been paying for it for the better part of 2+years but i watch like video every other month.  like for example i have not opened FP this summer, only now just to open up and cancel it. ill get it back when i have a reason, i have been just a supporter of it not user. 

As for merch, i mean i would order it but it is 2x ax expensive for me as people living North America, so for example to buy Northern Lights desk pad, and i wanted it because it has the right size, it cost me 80 euros. So yea not going to buy anything from there as long as they dont have EU warehouse, so that i dont need to additional to the product, i paid shipping witch was 30 eur + 20 customs fee + 30 eur for item. 

But this issue at large shows lack of proper management, it shows that people working there are still working the 10 people company where all is done differently. but in 120+ you ned proper managers, time and you can't be crunching all the time, because chain of production has so many people in there and for some reason LMG must release 10 videos a weeks or something....why. most of us would take quality over just a video that should be uploaded to the internet at all. 

feels like it is going to be buzzfeed of tech.... im sorry videos are getting shorter and more boring. and what happens to the videos that  are boring, the pacing seems a bit off in recent videos, facts are wrong, testing is off,  script is off and then the presenter is abit off, then you get the mic video, the last one, i mean that was wrong is so many ways that it was the first video over a long time i disliked before i ever thought the GN video. that video is just bad. 

2 hours ago, NubCak said:

I actually unsubbed to GN.

This video and the last video calling out Asus was it.

There are so many things he said in that video which was clearly fake news, such as Asus purposely labelling the bios as without warranty. This was not any foul play by Asus, as they've done that since forever for any beta bios. It's just legal jargon template. But GN portrayed it as they were doing it on purpose.

You living in some kind of alternate reality or something?

7 hours ago, batezippi said:

LMG is entirely Linus. No one else has money put into it (as far as we know). Everyone else is just a salary employee. It is not a public company. Any dollar lost OR earned goes directly into Linus' pocket. If a sale of LMG happens all money would go to Linus.

Do you consider the poor employees at Intel when you purchase an AMD CPU?

There are couple of wrong assumptions here. First, besides Linus, Yvonne, Luke and Edzell are founding members and have some amount invested. It's also speculated that other execs might have shares in the company. But as you do note, it's private company and details about share split or revenue are not public.

Linus has argued against listing publicly with possibility of hostile takeover. That could indicate that he's shares alone are not majority.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, Karl Mern said:

It's working. People have been unsubbing since the video dropped. Already lost 1k subs, and it is dropping every time you refresh.
image.thumb.png.e49210a26c8f880f4c43541049438f44.png

Would have been cheaper just to retest the cooler with the proper GPU instead lol

6 hours ago, Texbobcat said:

Linus calls out businesses all the time for shady business practices but when he's called out it's an issue?

"but he did it too mommy" never was an excuse to be proud of...

5 minutes ago, RazielKanos said:

"but he did it too mommy" never was an excuse to be proud of...

He potentially destroys a company with flawed testing, then you say you have to protect linus bottom line because he employs people, he fucks people, doesn't admit fault, triples down, is condescending towards the owners of said company, gaslights his community literally he's not better than eufy.

I think everyone needs to step off the gas a bit here. 
It is clear to me that Linus is stuck in survival mode and hopefully the new CEO can back him off that a bit.  

11 minutes ago, Texbobcat said:

He potentially destroys a company with flawed testing, then you say you have to protect linus bottom line because he employs people, he fucks people, doesn't admit fault, triples down, is condescending towards the owners of said company, gaslights his community literally he's not better than eufy.

You're obviously not getting my point, and I don't have any interest in a discussion with a person using your avatar - sorry, can't take you serious. Have a great life anyway...

I have just had my water bottle arrive after 3 weeks shipping to the UK. What great timing 🙄

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

People who care about quality items. They're not the only company to make expensive screwdrivers.

You clearly have no grasp of how much it actually costs to bring products to market, especially in small batches.

Perhaps you should educate yourself a little more before spouting disinformation.

Linus himself said that lttstore is a huge part of their profits 

You don't make profits by having no margins 

I don't disagree that some LMG products are good quality, I disagree that they are good option if you're shopping for quality items, they are YT merch... Of you want actually good backpack, there are far better options out there, just because this one is the best youtuber backpack doesn't mean it doesn't include youtubers tax and isn't overpriced... 

These items for sure have they market... And that is LMG fans, but don't pretend they even want to compete with established brands and non-merch items out there

9 minutes ago, Dom1252 said:

I don't disagree that some LMG products are good quality, I disagree that they are good option if you're shopping for quality items, they are YT merch... Of you want actually good backpack, there are far better options out there, just because this one is the best youtuber backpack doesn't mean it doesn't include youtubers tax and isn't overpriced... 

These items for sure have they market... And that is LMG fans, but don't pretend they even want to compete with established brands and non-merch items out there

I disagree with their products not being a good option when shopping for quality items, I do a bit of freelance IT work on the side, and one of my clients is a company that does a decent amount of manufacturing, I used my LTT screwdriver while there, and one of the managers there tried the screwdriver, while he is aware of what Linus Tech Tips is, he probably would never have considered buying merch, but after trying the screwdriver he bought a bunch of them for use company use.

In the tools market, I think LTT's screwdriver holds up to the competition within the price range it sits in. 

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

You living in some kind of alternate reality or something?

Not at all. 

I've built computers since like 2002. I have first hand experience with Asus on multiple occasions and I'm looking at things through an objective perspective where I have no affiliation with any of the brands. My take on it is Steve is not the holy saint of a reporter or journalist as he keeps trying to brand himself as. 

He has his own motivations and biases. 

Rig 1                                                              Rig 2

DeepCool Macube 550                                  ThermalTake View 31 TG RGB

DeepCool Castle 360mm AIO RGB               FractalDesign Celsius S36 360mm AIO

R9-3900x oc'ed to 4.3ghz all core                  i7-970 oc'ed to 4.4ghz

ASUS X570 TUF                                            ASUS Sabertooth TUF X58

32GB G.Skill Tridentz RGB                            12gb Corsair

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC                      ASUS ROG STRIX RX480

Corsair RM850X                                            Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W RGB

Corsair MP600 NVME                                    Samsung 850 EVO

Adata SX8200 PRO NVME                            Intel 320

Seagate Barracuda                                        Seagate Barracuda x 3

Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue                          Western Digital Black x 1
Logitech G903 Lightspeed                             Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue 

MSI Optix 34" Ultrawide oc'ed to 120hz         Razer Mamba

Benq 28" oc'ed to 85hz

1 hour ago, Dom1252 said:

I'm not sure about all their products...but their screwdriver is definitely up there.

I've used fap-off, mac, jet etc, you name it, i've probably used it.

The LTT screwdriver is amongst the best. 

Rig 1                                                              Rig 2

DeepCool Macube 550                                  ThermalTake View 31 TG RGB

DeepCool Castle 360mm AIO RGB               FractalDesign Celsius S36 360mm AIO

R9-3900x oc'ed to 4.3ghz all core                  i7-970 oc'ed to 4.4ghz

ASUS X570 TUF                                            ASUS Sabertooth TUF X58

32GB G.Skill Tridentz RGB                            12gb Corsair

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC                      ASUS ROG STRIX RX480

Corsair RM850X                                            Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W RGB

Corsair MP600 NVME                                    Samsung 850 EVO

Adata SX8200 PRO NVME                            Intel 320

Seagate Barracuda                                        Seagate Barracuda x 3

Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue                          Western Digital Black x 1
Logitech G903 Lightspeed                             Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue 

MSI Optix 34" Ultrawide oc'ed to 120hz         Razer Mamba

Benq 28" oc'ed to 85hz

I have cancelled my OG 2018 FP subscription while I wait to see how this pans out. I am "voting with my wallet" to have a decent company structural change occur and prevent this kind of unnecessary self-inflicted drama. Hoping I can come back once there's some actual change in attitude.

Posting in the hopes that LMG see that people (at least myself) aren't just abandoning them. We just want to see the company grow up internally to match it's size.

to all the people saying that this is going away. I will assure you, its not. much worse stuff is going to start coming out.

19 hours ago, Cash said:

Maybe this isn't the best answer, but I do think that the response so far was clearly a bad, bad move, and LTT needs to come up with a more sincere, less 'playing the victim' sort of response. I'd really like to see Linus respond to this by actually apologizing and not going back to a "but we were totally right because blah blah blah" kind of response after apologizing. Linus is clearly very bad at taking constructive criticism, but he really just needs to 'get good'.

This is the problem with non PR team answers. They are personal and not perfect. Some of you act like every answer needs to be 100% perfect as some big companies would come to you and say something is beautiful words that end up meaning nothing.

Linus is not perfect and his PR skills aren't either. But you get transparency, what is in his mind. You may not agree with it or you might. But if you cut this direct line, then you'll get some PR article and actual feelings and mindset is cut from there.

I do agree, that Linus didn't manage everything perfect and to be fair, he is trying to get away from this responsibility (therefore new CEO). And timing with LTX perhaps also didn't help manners of addressing issues and having people overworked.

So give them time to work this through, this is a lot to handle. They are not faceless entity, they are people there and even Linus is a person. If you have your life work in the line, it fogs your judgement.

Try to stay reasonable and understanding. This is not an easy matter. And don't judge Linus for being open, since one day we may lose this privilege and we only start hearing nicely worded PR letters.

20 hours ago, geokilla said:

Since Linus only cares about money, the obvious thing to do is to cancel your Floatplane subscription. Also don't buy their merch. 

Did that about a year ago, also unsubscribed on youtube, but that was a personal thing, I just couldn't watch the video anymore. Never expected this kind of drama but thinking about it I would say the signs were there.

I didn't really give that much of a shit about the GN drama, that stuff is helpful to make LTT better, but the Madison situation just earned my unsubs from all LMG channels.

I will stand on this hill to the end: The LTT Screwdriver is an excellent tool and is well worth the purchase. Regardless of company subterfuge, saying a good quality tool 'isn't worth' $70 is a subjective opinion; Cheap tools you have to replace multiple times are not better than buying a quality tool once.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Looks like we're at 37,578 subs 2 hours post "Apology video". Time will tell what happens next.

image.thumb.png.7a3929803a92895599163fa5df706a94.png

For those keeping score at home LTT's Floatplane subs went from ~41,200 down to 37,578 or a loss of around 3,622. Assuming that the sub price breakdown went 50% - $5, 25% - $3, 25% - $10 that make their total monthly loss of about $20,826 but it could be anywhere between $10,866 and $36,220.

21 hours ago, geokilla said:

Since Linus only cares about money, the obvious thing to do is to cancel your Floatplane subscription. Also don't buy their merch. Who in their right mind is going to pay $250 USD or $70 USD for a backpack and screwdriver respectively?

No thanks, If I decide to support a content channel, a small controversy won't stop me from doing so even if twitter is in outrage.

There are a lot of ways that LTT could actually become a money grab business, for a channel with their reach the easiest thing would be to take sponsor money without any restrictions.

That is not the issue here nor what was raised in GN video, so crawl back to twitter or reddit with this nonsense. I don't get why people love to pile on hate

43 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Looks like we're at 37,578 subs 2 hours post "Apology video". Time will tell what happens next.

image.thumb.png.7a3929803a92895599163fa5df706a94.png

For those keeping score at home LTT's Floatplane subs went from ~41,200 down to 37,578 or a loss of around 3,622. Assuming that the sub price breakdown went 50% - $5, 25% - $3, 25% - $10 that make their total monthly loss of about $20,826 but it could be anywhere between $10,866 and $36,220.

Kylo Ren's "More, More!" | Know Your Meme

15 minutes ago, mixo said:

No thanks, If I decide to support a content channel, a small controversy won't stop me from doing so even if twitter is in outrage.

There are a lot of ways that LTT could actually become a money grab business, for a channel with their reach the easiest thing would be to take sponsor money without any restrictions.

That is not the issue here nor what was raised in GN video, so crawl back to twitter or reddit with this nonsense. I don't get why people love to pile on hate

its the internet