Cancel Your Floatplane Subscription. Don't Buy Their Merch.

geokilla
30 minutes ago, dizmo said:

People who care about quality items. They're not the only company to make expensive screwdrivers.

You clearly have no grasp of how much it actually costs to bring products to market, especially in small batches.

Perhaps you should educate yourself a little more before spouting disinformation.

I think it was a tongue in cheek jab at Linus, because that is exactly what he said about the 700$ gpu waterblock, about how that was a stupid product that noone in their right mind should buy, meanwhile he sells the same kind of luxury items and has built PC-s before with same kind of luxury cases, waterblocks etc, drives a luxury car etc.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I'm a forum supporter and an OG Floatplane member. I'm very disappointed with the response from Linus, but at least for right now I'm not going to just run and cancel my subscriptions. I support the forum not because I completely agree with everything LMG (or Linus himself, for that matter) does, but rather because I enjoy using the forum, and I want it to continue to be a nice place online. I still have my Floatplane subscription after all these years because I like the idea of Floatplane and I do enjoy some of the content, not because I completely agree with everything LMG does. 

The thought of cancelling both of these subscriptions is something that's crossed my mind since the GN video went up (mostly because of the issue with Billet Labs), but I'm not just going to cancel right away. I'd like to give Linus and LMG as a whole a chance to somehow make this whole situation right and improve their content, and if nothing changes I'll reevaluate my decision to keep these subscriptions. Based on the reply from Linus yesterday I'm not entirely convinced that things will change, but I'll give it some time. Linus isn't the only person at LMG, and I'm hoping someone will be able to convince him to see just how wrong he is. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I have nothing to add except this is a pitchfork post and pitchfork thread and could've just been a reply to the megathread. Needless reaction and post altogether.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

2 minutes ago, mr cheese said:

I have nothing to add except this is a pitchfork post and pitchfork thread and could've just been a reply to the megathread. Needless reaction and post altogether.

I am going to make this real meta, but armchair moderation is aCtUAlLy not allowed, just like this whole thread could have been a single reply to the megathread, your whole reply could have been a single report. Needless reaction and reply altogether. :old-eyeroll:

Spoiler

But yeah you can just report the post and actual moderators take care of it rather quickly.

I think thats a going nuclar option without the need to just yet. The response from Linus was very bad however hopefully it was just he just hadnt put the time into his response that he needed too. What matters is how they handle it from now. We need a proper response, an appology, what they are doing to fix it/ make sure all this stuff doesnt happen again in the future. We as humans grow and learn whats important is that they take the right next steps.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

I am going to make this real meta, but armchair moderation is aCtUAlLy not allowed, just like this whole thread could have been a single reply to the megathread, your whole reply could have been a single report. Needless reaction and reply altogether. :old-eyeroll:

Reveal hidden contents

But yeah you can just report the post and actual moderators take care of it rather quickly.

The irony is real

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

Geesh, Steve makes a video giving LMG/Linus some constructive criticism and suddenly Linus the worst guy in the world...

(Well, Linus response didn't help, but still.)

I canceled my 2018 floatplane subscription. The 'reply' from Linus is everything he critised other companies for many times in the past. Nothing I want to support with my wallet tbh.

1 minute ago, TylerD321 said:

That is very clearly an extreme take. Sure, cancel your order. But you probably should get your girlfriend something for one. Even if Linus's response can be construed as distasteful, I would have a hard time believing that any rational person would/could actually believe that he is on any drug.

Thanks for your response! 

to clarify, while i actually dont really _know_ wether hes on drugs, i believe it as much as i do believe he's a lizardman from mars.

I'm his age, with ADHD as well, i can very much understand how this answer came to be. The feeling of "my life's work is at stake", the fear of being judged unfairly, and then quickly send out a response addressing the issues that are "low hanging fruits" from. I have faced (albeit at a much much smaller scale) so many similar things in my life... Until i learned to write but not SEND the response before sleeping over it. i think if he had done that, this would all play out much differently, and i sincerely believe that this would have been a genuine statement, just as this is one...

also, Im not saying i will "never order anything" or i would "never subscribe again". 

But, as much as i may understand the way this answer came to be, i think that actions should have consequences. Minor ones for him, that may be true, but it just didnt feel right. She watches GN as well, and that wouldnt have been a good present in this ... situation.

Just now, Davikar said:

Geesh, Steve makes a video giving LMG/Linus some constructive criticism and suddenly Linus the worst guy in the world...

i was said exactly the same. until linus posted this. im disappoint.

7 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

The irony is real

Yeah, if you missed the joke I armchair moderated the armchair moderator, making me the bigger rulebreaker of the 2, and now with this reply I just added nothing to the original discussion (as did you), so now I also derailed the topic, breaking a further rule.

1 minute ago, morgium said:

Thanks for your response! 

to clarify, while i actually dont really _know_ wether hes on drugs, i believe it as much as i do believe he's a lizardman from mars.

I'm his age, with ADHD as well, i can very much understand how this answer came to be. The feeling of "my life's work is at stake", the fear of being judged unfairly, and then quickly send out a response addressing the issues that are "low hanging fruits" from. I have faced (albeit at a much much smaller scale) so many similar things in my life... Until i learned to write but not SEND the response before sleeping over it. i think if he had done that, this would all play out much differently, and i sincerely believe that this would have been a genuine statement, just as this is one...

also, Im not saying i will "never order anything" or i would "never subscribe again". 

But, as much as i may understand the way this answer came to be, i think that actions should have consequences. Minor ones for him, that may be true, but it just didnt feel right. She watches GN as well, and that wouldnt have been a good present in this ... situation.

I was joking about the statement that you should still get your girlfriend something. I meant literally "something" as in not necessarily from LTTstore. I will say that of the what I will consider "nay sayers" these have been of the most level headed responses I have seen. I think the true issue is that cancel culture is real, and is a problem. I don't think that I personally would've responded any better. Regardless of the truth of any of these situations, and not to put words in linus's mouth, but I know I would feel backed into a corner in this situation.

Main Gaming Machine

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah, if you missed the joke I armchair moderated the armchair moderator, making me the bigger rulebreaker of the 2, and now with this reply I just added nothing to the original discussion (as did you), so now I also derailed the topic, breaking a further rule.

Hey we were generally discussing 😠 but yes I said that to point it out, not because I thought you didn't realize it. But that there are alot of new people on these forums that I thought would enjoy the joke if they realized as well. A little bit of positivity should even out this generally negative thread I would think!

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Back when I first started on this forum I received warning points because I was in an multiplayer game so I gave many short answers to peoples questions, instead of combining them all together into a single reply, so at least I currently didn't break that rule I guess.

Fuck I just broke this rule lmao

Main Gaming Machine

8 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

I'm a forum supporter and an OG Floatplane member. I'm very disappointed with the response from Linus, but at least for right now I'm not going to just run and cancel my subscriptions. I support the forum not because I completely agree with everything LMG (or Linus himself, for that matter) does, but rather because I enjoy using the forum, and I want it to continue to be a nice place online. I still have my Floatplane subscription after all these years because I like the idea of Floatplane and I do enjoy some of the content, not because I completely agree with everything LMG does. 

The thought of cancelling both of these subscriptions is something that's crossed my mind since the GN video went up (mostly because of the issue with Billet Labs), but I'm not just going to cancel right away. I'd like to give Linus and LMG as a whole a chance to somehow make this whole situation right and improve their content, and if nothing changes I'll reevaluate my decision to keep these subscriptions. Based on the reply from Linus yesterday I'm not entirely convinced that things will change, but I'll give it some time. Linus isn't the only person at LMG, and I'm hoping someone will be able to convince him to see just how wrong he is. 

I’m right here with you. Been a viewer since 2009, OG forum member (don’t throw USB sticks across the room, may hit a SATA cable….. OG for real), and I am not going to just abandon ship over this. But I am surprised by the response, and I demand better. The community demands better. But I also understand mistakes happen, it’s a young eager team, and they need to work on process and follow through. Hopefully they address this on WAN…

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

6 minutes ago, Davikar said:

(Well, Linus response didn't help, but still.)

Nobody is saying that Linus is the worst guy in the world or anything of the sort but the community is very valid to be upset with both the lack of care and the lack of understanding that has been given to all of this. Some people will leave and not return but most of us just want the situation to be handled correctly so that we can go back to supporting the content that we love.

If Linus is just gonna lie and say that they've made a deal with billet when they have not, where is the transparency and honesty ltt has "built"?

8 minutes ago, Lyre said:

If Linus is just gonna lie and say that they've made a deal with billet when they have not, where is the transparency and honesty ltt has "built"?

There is some misinformation with that, they have said they would pay whatever it costs but they just havent paid yet as billet hasnt actaully sent a cost of it yet because to them it was more than just the money you know.

I was disappointed when watching Steve's first video. But wasn't going to cancel anything or that over it.

I have now cancelled my Floatplane subscription fully based on Linus' reply.

1 minute ago, Calzz said:

There is some misinformation with that, they have said they would pay whatever it costs but they just havent paid yet as billet hasnt actaully sent a cost of it yet because to them it was more than just the money you know.

11 minutes ago, Lyre said:

It is my understanding that this is incorrect. Here is what linus said:

Billet sent us a quote. I don't know or care how they arrived at the value. If they're good, I'm good.

As for what steps we're taking, you're talking about an outlier issue that has happened once in 10+ years of operation. There won't be a new SOP to ensure we don't accidentally auction stuff. We just need to tighten up some documentation.

Main Gaming Machine

39 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

I mean I'm capable of independent thought, so I have noticed these quality issues for years. I am still around because I get enough value watching LTT for entertainment instead of technical information. That continues to be the case, though I do hope they improve those quality issues. The "main thread" has further insights for those who care.

Honestly I watch Linustechtips for entertainment as well and it seems like they moved in that direction a long time ago with alot of their over the top videos. There are plenty of really technical channels that I go to for more in depth info. I feel like linustechtips has a place and so does gamers nexus. If I need in depth testing info gamers nexus is a very good option but if I want to find fun tech related videos then LTT is a good option. Honestly though nobody is perfect so I don't think it's fair to try and ruin a company because one of the founders does something people find questionable. Honestly what I watch the most out of LTT is the WAN show which I always find entertaining even if sometimes Linus gives so horrible hot takes at times. 

32 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

This was how I felt prior to Linus’ forum comments. Now, I feel obligated, not only to vote with my wallet, but to encourage others to do so. Holding company’s accountable with your dollar is Linus’ fundamental principle for consumer advice. It would be the absolute wrong thing to do to give him/the company an exception to that.

☮️

I7-13700k |MSI Z790 Carbon |Gigabyte RX 6800 XT |32GB DDR5 6000 Crucial |1TB M.2 Crucial |Fractal North |Deepcool AK400 |Seasonic Prime GX 850w

Youtube Sub since Febuary 2017

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I watch Linustechtips for entertainment as well and it seems like they moved in that direction a long time ago with alot of their over the top videos. There are plenty of really technical channels that I go to for more in depth info. I feel like linustechtips has a place and so does gamers nexus. If I need in depth testing info gamers nexus is a very good option but if I want to find fun tech related videos then LTT is a good option. Honestly though nobody is perfect so I don't think it's fair to try and ruin a company because one of the founders does something people find questionable. Honestly what I watch the most out of LTT is the WAN show which I always find entertaining even if sometimes Linus gives so horrible hot takes at times. 

I get your point that they are an entertainment channel but they also do reviews and recommend people what products to buy or not so we cant just pretend that it doesnt matter if there stuff isnt right. You are correct that mistakes happen and that the company shouldnt be ruined because of it but the response was very upsetting to a lot of us and hopefully they will take the time and fix there response.

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

lol I don't think anyone is trying to ruin a company, GN doesn't have that kind of reach, and the LTT audience doesn't care enough about the issues raised for that to happen. I DO think it's a good thing to call out their technical issues now that labs is being marketed in almost every video as a solution to those problems

that being said, I am still satisfied with my status quo of "ignore or at least don't take technical data at face value", and just enjoying the content as entertainment

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1 minute ago, Calzz said:

I get your point that they are an entertainment channel but they also do reviews and recommend people what products to buy or not so we cant just pretend that it doesnt matter if there stuff isnt right. You are correct that mistakes happen and that the company shouldnt be ruined because of it but the response was very upsetting to a lot of us and hopefully they will take the time and fix there response.

While true I am more of the mind that you should always look at multiple outlets before making a judgments on products performance because not everyone tests the same thing and in the same way so of you go off of one outlets data you miss something. Depending on the testing method a product could look way better than it actually is so good to look at multiple different places for info. 

4 minutes ago, WillHeard said:

This was how I felt prior to Linus’ forum comments. Now, I feel obligated, not only to vote with my wallet, but to encourage others to do so. Holding company’s accountable with your dollar is Linus’ fundamental principle for consumer advice. It would be the absolute wrong thing to do to give him/the company an exception to that.

Oh absolutely, and I don't want it to come across as me giving Linus an exception here. I'm just willing to wait a bit longer for a more levelheaded response before making my decision. Cancelling my subscriptions isn't off the table, though to be entirely fair LMG hardly makes anything from my Floatplane subscription since I only pay $3/month. 

28 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I’m right here with you. Been a viewer since 2009, OG forum member (don’t throw USB sticks across the room, may hit a SATA cable….. OG for real), and I am not going to just abandon ship over this. But I am surprised by the response, and I demand better. The community demands better. But I also understand mistakes happen, it’s a young eager team, and they need to work on process and follow through. Hopefully they address this on WAN…

Yep. I haven't been here as long as you have, but I've been watching LTT for around a decade and I've had a forum account since January 2016 (not this account, obviously, but my old account). I joined Floatplane when it was still a section here on the forum, and I've enjoyed seeing it grow into something more mature over the years. I'm thoroughly disappointed by Linus right now, but I've been here long enough to know that there's still a chance he'll come around and see how wrong he is, and I'm willing to give him that chance. Now I just hope he takes it and turns things around. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)