Cancel Your Floatplane Subscription. Don't Buy Their Merch.

geokilla
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 11:14 AM, imreloadin said:

It looks like things are slowly trickling off now as they went from 35,490 down to 34,972 which equates to a loss of 518 subscribers in the last week and a half. This results in an additional loss of between $1,554 and $5,180 in monthly revenue since my last update or a loss of between $18,648 and $62,160 annually if those subscribers never re-sub. From the start of everything they went from ~41,200 subscribers down to their current number of 34,972 which equals a total loss of around 6,228 subscribers. This translates to a monthly loss in revenue of between $18,684 and $62,280 or an annual loss in revenue of between $224,208 and $747,360 if those subscribers never re-sub.

image.thumb.png.fbf405a588f15edba717e108a1205497.png

Time for my 6 week update! The current number of subscribers to the LTT Floatplane channel stands at 33,865. This means that during my 6 week update hiatus the channel lost another 1,107 subscribers or an average of 185 subs lost a week. This loss makes for an additional revenue loss of between $3,321 and $11,070 a month or an additional loss of between $39,852 and $132,840. This makes the total loss from before everything started of ~41,200 down to what it is today or a loss of 7,335 subscribers. This total loss equates out to a monthly revenue loss of between $22,005 and $73,350 a month or between $264,060 and $880,200 loss in revenue annually if those subscribers never come back. While I do believe that LTT has made an honest effort to change things and things do seem to be better regarding recently released content it seems that people just can't justify staying subscribed to them on Floatplane anymore. Time will tell if the slide continues or if things finally taper off and they start gaining subscribers back.

image.thumb.png.8af69132c9aff2293106a876350e31e9.png

29 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Time for my 6 week update! The current number of subscribers to the LTT Floatplane channel stands at 33,865. This means that during my 6 week update hiatus the channel lost another 1,107 subscribers or an average of 185 subs lost a week. This loss makes for an additional revenue loss of between $3,321 and $11,070 a month or an additional loss of between $39,852 and $132,840. This makes the total loss from before everything started of ~41,200 down to what it is today or a loss of 7,335 subscribers. This total loss equates out to a monthly revenue loss of between $22,005 and $73,350 a month or between $264,060 and $880,200 loss in revenue annually if those subscribers never come back. While I do believe that LTT has made an honest effort to change things and things do seem to be better regarding recently released content it seems that people just can't justify staying subscribed to them on Floatplane anymore. Time will tell if the slide continues or if things finally taper off and they start gaining subscribers back.

image.thumb.png.8af69132c9aff2293106a876350e31e9.png

Im still subbed as its the only way I can watch their content. With Youtube being Youtube Ive give up on that platform all together.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.聽

11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Im still subbed as its the only way I can watch their content. With Youtube being Youtube Ive give up on that platform all together.

Fair point, YouTube does seem to be going through a rough time of enshittification currently.

14 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Snip

That's assuming that the primary reason for the sub drop is still the fallout of the bad info and Madison stuff and not just people getting bored/finding new interests/subscription fatigue.

馃尣馃尣馃尣

鈼捖犫棐聽

14 hours ago, Arika said:

That's assuming that the primary reason for the sub drop is still the fallout of the bad info and Madison stuff and not just people getting bored/finding new interests/subscription fatigue.

Normal attrition could definitely be playing a part as well.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:08 AM, Arika said:

Also the fact you had to be subscribed to floatplane for any of the specialty merch from LtX聽

so I鈥檓 betting at least some of it was the people canceling after that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 8:22 PM, imreloadin said:

Time for my 6 week update! *snipped*

Let's be honest here man. 75% of the people on this site and subscribed to the floatplane are fanboys. Many of them are extremely young (it's very easy to tell, especially on the forum with posts like "Let's do a timespy drag race".) I wouldn't be surprised if the age demographics for the LMG channels are like... 75% 13-21 year old males.聽

These people don't care how inaccurate LTT is. They're subscribed because Linus is an influencer and they're like "Oh he's a geek, like me!"

There are much better channels for tech news and benchmarking and what not. LMG's channels have gone the way of being pure entertainment. And that's fine, they ARE entertaining. But the thing is, they don't need to be accurate to be entertaining.聽

6 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Let's be honest here man. 75% of the people on this site and subscribed to the floatplane are fanboys. Many of them are extremely young (it's very easy to tell, especially on the forum with posts like "Let's do a timespy drag race".) I wouldn't be surprised if the age demographics for the LMG channels are like... 75% 13-21 year old males.聽

These people don't care how inaccurate LTT is. They're subscribed because Linus is an influencer and they're like "Oh he's a geek, like me!"

There are much better channels for tech news and benchmarking and what not. LMG's channels have gone the way of being pure entertainment. And that's fine, they ARE entertaining. But the thing is, they don't need to be accurate to be entertaining.聽

I think, and I鈥檝e been here for a long time. That this is factually incorrect. I don鈥檛 think LMG has the same pull with Gen Z as they did with us now 30-40 something crowed. I鈥檝e been watching for 10+ years. Mostly for the hijinks hardly ever for the straight reviews. But anyone I鈥檝e ever met in the wild (15 personally) who recognize my water bottle are 25-35 area. Not to say that there are not fan boys & children subscribed. And not to defend the at times awful fanboys in the LTT community. I just think your assessment of the demographic for LTT is flawed.聽

-- When you have more than what you need, build a bigger table, not a bigger fence --