Cancel Your Floatplane Subscription. Don't Buy Their Merch.

geokilla
2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Same here. When did you sign up for Floatplane?

No long after it was offered. I wanted to support them to an extent. Plus the behind the scenes stuff is kinda cool. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

i really like his content so actually I would sing up to FP if it weren't so expensive given how Brazilian currency sucks right now.

maybe if theres a good Black Friday sale.

1 minute ago, WillHeard said:

Sorry but if you think holding a 100M $ company accountable for their actions and decisions is “disgusting”, that is some serious bootlicker shit

The thread starter did call out a single person's action. Lose your job because some idiot in the company you work for did something wrong, I'm pretty sure the moment you get the letter you will take a dance and be SO happy to be unemployed... Pretty sure that WONT happen, and you would be pretty pissed...

6 hours ago, geokilla said:

Since Linus only cares about money, the obvious thing to do is to cancel your Floatplane subscription. Also don't buy their merch. Who in their right mind is going to pay $250 USD or $70 USD for a backpack and screwdriver respectively?

I've seen the drop of what? 2000 subs on floatplane and the wife and I cannot understand people. You're virtue signaling in response to either inaccuracies (shit happens) and believe you're doing what's right in the name of billet labs by... threatening the jobs of how many people? Who does this teach? Linus stepped down already. I'm no fan, but a supporter. I've bought shit to support the people I genuinely like and have met from LTT and it sure had nothing to do with Linus. LMG is bigger than him now.

He fucks up. Steve fucks up. I highly doubt you're perfect and guarantee you fuck up in your day to day life. The attempt to hurt a creator like this hurts the entire tech space. We need HU, GN, LTT, J2C, HC among so many others.

You need to allow people to right their wrongs. Linus didn't kill a child and brag about it. The corporate ladder with failed communication screwed a small business and Tim, someone who isn't in public relations said something he's passionate about that he probably shouldn't have said. So many people ready to tear down Steve for reporting or LMG for fucking up.

Respectfully, grow up and stop. Labs was a mistake and Linus grew his company too big, too fast before the foundation settled. Burning LMG to the ground will hurt all of us in the tech industry. Give him his lashing.

Just my 2 cents

6 hours ago, Karl Mern said:

It's working. People have been unsubbing since the video dropped. Already lost 1k subs, and it is dropping every time you refresh.
image.thumb.png.e49210a26c8f880f4c43541049438f44.png

Oh no... 1k subscribers...

6 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

I am going to make this real meta, but armchair moderation is aCtUAlLy not allowed, just like this whole thread could have been a single reply to the megathread, your whole reply could have been a single report. Needless reaction and reply altogether. :old-eyeroll:

Reveal hidden contents

But yeah you can just report the post and actual moderators take care of it rather quickly.

valid however ratio

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

I don't think it's constructive to open several threads about how they screwed up. Let them make a response. Fueling the fire is a troll's game.

15 minutes ago, RazielKanos said:

The thread starter did call out a single person's action. Lose your job because some idiot in the company you work for did something wrong, I'm pretty sure the moment you get the letter you will take a dance and be SO happy to be unemployed... Pretty sure that WONT happen, and you would be pretty pissed...

Linus calls out businesses all the time for shady business practices but when he's called out it's an issue?

4 minutes ago, kendirect said:

Oh no... 1k subscribers...

Ignoring the few remaining OG ($3) subscribers, 1K lost is at least $5,000/month lost. The number of people leaving Floatplane has dropped by close to 2K from what I can tell, so that's a lot of people voting with their wallets. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Reference: 

so I may have lied about cancelling my subscription, the content was good.

Heres proof I have this time. https://linuxbad.com/Lgi1ETHS9T.mp4

btw that was way too many steps to go through to cancel. not even amazon is that bad.

I'm not sure if somebody else has posted this or not so I apologize in advance if that is the case. Somebody posted this on Reddit, for those interested in how this has affected their Floatplane subscriptions: https://floatplane.wtf/

Just a simple visual for those who don't feel like hitting F5 on the Floatpane page.

7 hours ago, geokilla said:

Since Linus only cares about money, the obvious thing to do is to cancel your Floatplane subscription. Also don't buy their merch. Who in their right mind is going to pay $250 USD or $70 USD for a backpack and screwdriver respectively?

If he cares so much about money why would he refuses to sell his company for 100 000 000$ ?

9 minutes ago, azertu said:

If he cares so much about money why would he refuses to sell his company for 100 000 000$ ?

because it wasnt worth that much. at the time it was worth way more. now its worth less. bet he feels dumb.

I love the stuff i've gotten from the LTTstore. I wore the shirts i got when I got my tech job every day for 4 years, and they still look like the day i got them and their new polos are the only shirts I've found for my now office job that don't make me pour sweat, Best quality i have ever had.  As for cancelling Flotplane, Why their content might have inaccuracies, but It's still entertaining. I hope this is a kick in the but they need to fix the shit they need to fix, but I'm going to give them a chance to do that

I canceled my floatplane sub, I already didn't trust their reporting on non-tech topics after their horrible lack of effort in the comments about Elon Musk on the Wan shows in April 2022, but I didn't realize their tech reporting was also this bad until now, part of my decision to purchase my 4090 was that exact cyberpunk graph which showed the 4090 beating the 3090 by 300% (I had a 3090 before I purchased my 4090). I may return once they get their shit together, but not wanting to spend $100-500 on fixing a video has just cost them at least $120. 

9 hours ago, geokilla said:

What a dumb take. Get over it. The water block is a dumb product. And the errors are hopefully being taken care of.

4 minutes ago, Hunter.exe said:

What a dumb take. Get over it. The water block is a dumb product. And the errors are hopefully being taken care of.

Oh I'm over it. Linus lost a viewer and a customer. But I'm over it now.

3 hours ago, WillHeard said:

Sorry but if you think holding a 100M $ company accountable for their actions and decisions is “disgusting”, that is some serious bootlicker shit

they don’t deserve your money bro. they aren’t entitled to it. They earn it and you give it to them after they’ve earned your trust. which they have squandered for many, and even more with the terrible nothingburger linus laid

A potentially $100M company, though even though they are likely not that they are still quite valuable. I'm going to copy what I said in the other thread. 

This is tangential to the rest of the thread but it seems some people have a mistaken idea about how company valuation works and how it is different for publicly traded companies, Apple for example, and privately owned companies like LMG.

For publicly traded companies like Apple it is very easy to get a valuation of the company or more specifically the Market Capitalization. For companies like that it is basically just the share price multiplied by the amount of shares. That is how people can say with confidence that Apple is a trillion dollar company, everyday people buy and sell chunks of Apple agree that is what it is worth, so that is what it is.

LMG being a private company makes valuation a lot harder. The fact that someone offered to buy LMG for a 100 million dollars does not make it worth a 100 million dollars, only that someone at some point of time thought it was worth that. For private companies you will only ever get a guesstimate of the companies worth and it is often not reflective of reality. That is why even after analyst go through all the information on a company before an IPO, the actual share prices can rapidly go in ether direction when it is listed on an exchange if the market thinks the company is worth something else. To demonstrate why calling LMG a 100 million dollar company off the back of that 1 rejected offer is ridiculous, suppose for example if someone offered GN the same amount and Steve refused, it doesn't make GN a 100 million dollar company not does it have any bearing on any future offer for the company.

That said, Linus needs to come up with a better response than what is pinned.  

Aaaand it keeps on dropping lmao

image.thumb.png.e869920a64ae233acbff244981ab18d5.png

From 41.2K to 38.4, closing in on three thousand unsubs.

10 hours ago, geokilla said:

1) That's long term not gonna do nearly as much damage as you'd think: Smaller operations have recovered from worst scandals, this will die down within a week tops and he'll stop bleeding subs and merch buyers. He might even start growing back up with a single popular video of say, covering a popular product launch.

2) Let's assume that I'm dead wrong about everything in 1) I still think that while Linus deserves every bit of backlash he has coming to him, most of his employees do not. In fact they flat out told him he's wrong, repeatedly, strongly and he still overwrites them.

So the better action people should encourage is to reach out to all LTT employees and encourage them to pick back up that Unionizing effort Linus tried to illegally kill. At the very least they should be organized to find other job offers and support each other while being able to organize a walk off and stop producing content or maintaining anything for LMG until they make actual substantial promises where pretty much Linus steps down and loses editorial control and is barred from making any public statements or appearances not previously vetted and agreed upon (That means previously scripted) by all pertinent and affected employees.

An actual strike would actually get things done and teach this little man some humility. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Extreme much.  Geez, kneejerk reactions. 

I mean i cancelled mine to send a message. Ill happily reinstate it once their second response comes out and is actually good.

10 hours ago, Davikar said:

Geesh, Steve makes a video giving LMG/Linus some constructive criticism and suddenly Linus the worst guy in the world...

(Well, Linus response didn't help, but still.)

In my view Linus's response just tossed more fuel on the fire. He needs to accept full responsibility, stop deflecting, and sincerely work to fix the problems.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. (Jeremy Clarkson)

I actually unsubbed to GN.

This video and the last video calling out Asus was it.

There are so many things he said in that video which was clearly fake news, such as Asus purposely labelling the bios as without warranty. This was not any foul play by Asus, as they've done that since forever for any beta bios. It's just legal jargon template. But GN portrayed it as they were doing it on purpose.

Rig 1                                                              Rig 2

DeepCool Macube 550                                  ThermalTake View 31 TG RGB

DeepCool Castle 360mm AIO RGB               FractalDesign Celsius S36 360mm AIO

R9-3900x oc'ed to 4.3ghz all core                  i7-970 oc'ed to 4.4ghz

ASUS X570 TUF                                            ASUS Sabertooth TUF X58

32GB G.Skill Tridentz RGB                            12gb Corsair

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC                      ASUS ROG STRIX RX480

Corsair RM850X                                            Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W RGB

Corsair MP600 NVME                                    Samsung 850 EVO

Adata SX8200 PRO NVME                            Intel 320

Seagate Barracuda                                        Seagate Barracuda x 3

Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue                          Western Digital Black x 1
Logitech G903 Lightspeed                             Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue 

MSI Optix 34" Ultrawide oc'ed to 120hz         Razer Mamba

Benq 28" oc'ed to 85hz

Sorry, but this seems idiotic, if you like Floatplane you should not unsubscribe and punish everyone on the Floatplane team just because LTT is doing something you don't like.

Yes Floatplane and LTT are run by LMG, but if you like the product you unsubbing will only make things worse for a product you like.

I'm not saying you should not be concerned about the LTT "incident", but to me, it seems weird to take your anger out on people that has little to do with Linus and/or LTT.