Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

11 minutes ago, NorKris said:

all that he wants to collab with...? 

I'm pretty sure he's insinuating LTT will throw their weight around to dissuade their sponsers from dealing with GN. 

Next, Steve should take a jab at MKBHD or Unbox Therapy, they do pseudo tech reviews I guess. What else can Steve at this point?

With LTT labs coming, his options are strapped in the Media industry. 

Just now, ImpliedSilence said:

I'm pretty sure he's insinuating LTT will throw their weight around to dissuade their sponser from dealing with GN. 

out mean like:

GN:  LTT are showing numbers wrong
sponor: oh oh we dont like this dude showing the numbers correct...

Just now, ImpliedSilence said:

I'm pretty sure he's insinuating LTT will throw their weight around to dissuade their sponser from dealing with GN. 

No, the companies aren't braindead, and they don't really take advice from Reviewers that much. Companies are evil by construct. They can make their own choices. 

If its good for business, they will do it, if its bad, they will pull a billet labs

27 minutes ago, Cooldoe said:

The issue with your statement is you only hear the issue from GN side without any consideration some of the other side valid critics on his video.

Steve want to be the harbinger of ethics so let's talk about the ethics.

1. Journalism 101 ethic. For critic the normal journalist courtesy is to reach out to the other party foe comment. Steve clearly disregard this.

2. Steve talk about accuracy but he somehow 'forgot' to mention that Linus did talk about the inaccurate result in the video and looking for ways to solve the issue. This is in the same Wan show that Linus talked about the mouse issue. So he is addressing it but somehow GN 'forgot'

3. Another thing that GN forgot to mention is text revision on the video is standard for most youtube creator. So he is holding lmg in much higher standard than normal. This should be disclosed.

4. Similar thing with framework bias issue. GN fail to inform that Linus already address this issue multiple times and have properly disclose this issue. Again this is industry standard on how to deal with it and Steve 'forgot' to mention

5. In regards to ASUS, using the same standard GN use on LMG they should disclose that thecreator some spat with ASUS and have issue with LMG not dropping ASUS as their sponsor

The biggest critic of the video is how GN try to frame the issue as small creator vs big company but as they claimed in their own video they choose to be small.

I think we should be objectively point out the mistake in GN videos withoutbe characterized as attack.

I am focusing on what GN said, as people are shifting the blame onto GN, I personally believe GN has been professional and impartial with his videos.

1. People are only talking about the ethics as if its some concrete rule because Linus decided to deflect and gaslight people, there isn't any requirement for reaching out for comment. A lot of times in the media a reporter will say "we reached out for comment, but X company declined to make a statement" which usually means the company ignored them. Like I said GN has tried to talk to LMG before on things but Linus gets too emotional.

2. Linus talking about it on the WAN show isn't the same as making a video for the LTT channel that would make it a lot more clear to everyone, only the super fans sit through a 2-3 hour long WAN show. 

Also Linus talking about the mouse issue doesn't change the comment they made in the video denying that the plastic was still on the mouse feet, when comments were pointing out the plastic was still on the mouse feet.

3. While a lot of youtubers can add text corrections in videos, only channels the size of LTT can edit or change a whole video while still keeping all of the views and monetization of the initial video that was uploaded.

4. There is an inherent conflict of interest with Framework, Linus saying they have an investment with Framework doesn't change that they have a financial interest in Framework, and shouldn't be involved in laptop videos or reviews.

5.  GN isn't biased towards any sponsor though, there is nothing that needs a disclaimer as GN has given Asus fair criticisms for their faults. Meanwhile Linus went too easy on Asus while discussing the whole Asus motherboard BIOS problem, and went easy on them again by asking about something in a product manual because Asus is one of LMG's top sponsorships.

The only thing GN pointed out being a smaller channel is that they went into making the video knowing it would hurt them more than it would hurt LMG because angry LMG/LTT fans will go after them, LMG is a larger company and should be held to a higher standard because of the influence they have over the tech community.

There isn't anything objective by spinning the blame and blaming GN here, the pendantic nitpicking only shows people want to attack GN because they think of Linus as a friend.

2 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Everybody is making the assumption that they are exclusively in the tech review space, forgetting the fact they are under an overarching media space.

That matters, its media, entertainment. Steve isn't competing as well as LTT in that space, fair and simple.

In fairness, MKBHD and Unbox Therapy are even doing better in that space considering their company size and effort level.

Lets forget about Pewdiepie

Nobody should make assumptions. This whole mess was because of assumptions. If you ask the wrong questions you might get bad answers

1 minute ago, hmfaysal said:

With LTT labs coming, his options are strapped in the Media industry. 

do you think GN did fear the LTT labs?  😂

Everybody is making the assumption that they are exclusively in the tech review space, forgetting the fact they are under an overarching media space.

That matters, its media, entertainment. Steve isn't competing as well as LTT in that space, fair and simple.

In fairness, MKBHD and Unbox Therapy are even doing better in that space considering their company size and effort level.

Lets forget about Pewdiepie

Go ask steve is he makes videos for "entertainment" or for "knowledge/accurate reviews" and tell me which one he picks.

8 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Yeah, in youtube scale, they are not large, they still do have 1 contact person at youtube. Heck, even with 50k spend or earning/month, even in Asia, Google assigns you a KAM. Its disingenuous. Do they get red carpet service? Maybe not. But they do have a key account manager assigned by Google.

Google is a behemoth with excellent customer care. What can you do.

Its a narrative point, making Google look bad. Steve should put the money where his mouth is

And yet he claim that he did not have any channel into youtube in the video to sell the small guy vs big guy narrative.

It is especially funny how he mention that LMG can edit without doing any takedown using 'internal connection' and the in the next instance mention LMG doing a trip to do it without any takedown 😅

Make you wonder doesn't it?

Firstly for those of you that wish to correct my spelling and grammar. English is literally my second language. I try my best to be as accurate and as clear as possible.

Back to the topic at hand.

I will reiterate that GN knew exactly what they were doing. They want LMG gone. They want them out. They want to take over the space. This social media uproar was engineered by them. As for LMG, they did a lot wrong. This is true and they should answer for that. However, the employer-employee dispute must be carefully handled. 

I don't know Canadian law but I do know that most governments protect the employee against all kinds of abuse. I am sure there are systems that the employee could have used. Why now? Why on social media? What is the intent? Why was this not mentioned prior? Why were the responsible authorities not approached? 

One cannot predicate on conjecture alone. Facts are of utmost importance as is intent.

I believe we must wait and allow for due process and allow for the investigations to conclude. I am sure both LMG and the employee will make statements afterwards. You cannot just take one person's word for it. This goes for both LMG and the employee.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

I am focusing on what GN said, as people shifting the blame onto GN, I personally believe GN has been professional and impartial with his videos.

1. People are only talking about the ethics as if its some concrete rule because Linus decided to deflect and gaslight people, there isn't any requirement for reaching out for comment. A lot of times in the media a reporter will say "we reached out for comment, but X company declined to make a statement" which usually means the company ignored them. Like I said GN has tried to talk to LMG before on things but Linus gets too emotional.

2. Linus talking about it on the WAN show isn't the same as making a video for the LTT channel that would make it a lot more clear to everyone, only the super fans sit through a 2-3 hour long WAN show. 

Also Linus talking about mouse issue doesn't change the comment they made in the video denying that the plastic was still on the mouse feet, when comments were pointing out the plastic was still on the mouse feet.

3. While a lot of youtubers can add text corrections in videos, only channels the size of LMG can edit or change a whole video video while still keeping all of the views and monetization of the initial video that was uploaded.

4. There is an inherent conflict of interest with Framework, LInus saying they have an investment with Framework doesn't change that they have a financial interest in Framework, and shouldn't be involved in laptop videos or reviews.

5.  GN isn't biased towards any sponsor though, there is nothing that needs a disclaimer as GN has given Asus fair criticisms for their faults. Meanwhile Linus went too easy on Asus while discussing the whole Asus motherboard BIOS problem, and went easy on the again by asking about something in a product manual because Asus is one of LMG's top sponsorships.

The only thing GN pointed out being a smaller channel is that they went into maknig the video knowing it would hurt them more than it would hurt LMG, LMG is a larger company and should be held to a higher standard because of the influence they have over the tech community.

There isn't anything objective by spinning the blame and blaming GN here, the pendantic nitpicking only show people want to attack GN because they think of Linus as a friend.

Asus in the bigger picture of things, that big enough. Its Intel, AMD, Nvidia who are behemoths in that space. Heck even Huawei, Samsung. Asus is like a line in their balance sheet.

Its Intel, AMD, NVidia that Steve wants. The 5k challenges. Those usually come with upwards of 200k paid promotions each

1 minute ago, Cooldoe said:

And yet he claim that he did not have any channel into youtube in the video to sell the small guy vs big guy narrative.

It is especially funny how he mention that LMG can edit without doing any takedown using 'internal connection' and the in the next instance mention LMG doing a trip to do it without any takedown 😅

Make you wonder doesn't it?

Yeah I wonder, these are youtubers, not Holier than Thou saints. They are celebrities, all of them lie.

But keep Google out of this, its an evil corporation with impeccable customer service. Steve's narrative won't change that. Well, they provide Steve paychecks, on time

1 minute ago, hmfaysal said:

No, the companies aren't braindead, and they don't really take advice from Reviewers that much. Companies are evil by construct. They can make their own choices. 

If its good for business, they will do it, if its bad, they will pull a billet labs

apparently more than you think, both HUB, GN, Jayz etc. have stated so... There are stubborn companies, but most of them can listen to reason and often they have made changes etc. (especially when they have been at shows and have visited companies in the suites and seen there "maybe future products" and comments have been listened to, to improve products etc. is it 100% of the time? no absolutely not... but most companies aren't mindless and getting opinions from big persons in the space that know what moves etc. is valuable information

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The only thing GN pointed out being a smaller channel is that they went into making the video knowing it would hurt them more than it would hurt LMG because angry LMG/LTT fans will go after them, LMG is a larger company and should be held to a higher standard because of the influence they have over the tech community.

There isn't anything objective by spinning the blame and blaming GN here, the pendantic nitpicking only shows people want to attack GN because they think of Linus as a friend.

I guess in this sense Gamers Nexus was objectively wrong. Because there seems to be far more damage than LMG have received. 

38 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Isn't any brand survive with its super fans? With regular fans, they get the breathing room to expand, which isn't necessary but fun to have.

So, if the core consumer group is intact, how is everything destroyed? Makes you kinda sad right?

Its just blind, misplaced, delusional love.

AMD R9 5900X @ PBO | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12 V2
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, TL-B14, TY-143

What is happening lmao

What is this idea what GN owes any million dollar company a heads up before reporting anything?? 

What is this "I don't agree with how GN reported blah blah??" At what point did GN report something that was left up for conjecture?? He reported facts, immediately backed up with evidence... Like... Who cares if you disagree.. What does that even mean in this context?? 🤣

Stop giving LMG special treatment here lol they will fix this or go irrelevant.

It's like some people expected GN to just throw on screen text in comic sans saying "LTT did a boo boo." Lmao 

8 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

If you watch GN you see loads of snide remarks - these are a clear sign of jealousy if you read between the lines. No it's not written in stone for obvious reasons but Steve obviously doesn't like (and he has even outright said this even if slightly veiled) how LMG can be so big & popular when GN does things more fastidiously. Steve often disguises it as "other tech channels" but it's often very obvious he's talking about LMG.

That's a fair analogy, I can see how you would come to that conclusion. 

I'm applying Ikea spelling, meaning you get most of the words and letters, then it's up to you to assemble them correctly! 👍

Just now, freeagent said:

Its just blind, misplaced, delusional love.

I would counter, yours is just lustful rage

Linus is well settled, 120 employees not so much

Asus in the bigger picture of things, that big enough. Its Intel, AMD, Nvidia who are behemoths in that space. Heck even Huawei, Samsung. Asus is like a line in their balance sheet.

Its Intel, AMD, NVidia that Steve wants. The 5k challenges. Those usually come with upwards of 200k paid promotions each

really? is that why he base his income off of his store and say that finances most of the stuff they do? sponsors aren't a big thing... the viewers pay for the show... and they can get information that isn't tainted by Intel and Nvidia etc. since they most definetly have their own narrative (easily seen on LGM and other channels)

Hardware Unboxed launched a podcast on the heels of LTT/GN conflict and accusations.

Clearly they are trying to steal from the competition of both LTT/GN.

Some of you are claiming / stating utterly ridiculous things as fact.

Again, you're not going to get an internet loyalty badge from Linus for defending him.

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

4 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

really? is that why he base his income off of his store and say that finances most of the stuff they do? sponsors aren't a big thing... the viewers pay for the show... and they can get information that isn't tainted by Intel and Nvidia etc. since they most definetly have their own narrative (easily seen on LGM and other channels)

Its already kind of bad we only have two choices to choose from, and their obscure product verticals, I am pointing fingers both at Intel and AMD.

These companies lie. They don't fall under anti trust laws, these are slippery companies. So many stories how smaller fabs making custom chips for telco companies get swallowed up by mid sized companies owned by 4 semiconductor manufacturers. These smaller companies usually have dreams to expand their research and production to general purpose chipsets, like Intel or AMD

Will Steve ever talk about that? Or is he too good for it?

Just now, kewtz said:

Hardware Unboxed launched a podcast on the heels of LTT/GN conflict and accusations.

Clearly they are trying to steal from the competition of both LTT/GN.

Some of you are claiming / stating utterly ridiculous things as fact.

Again, you're not going to get an internet loyalty badge from Linus for defending him.

like 20 channels have brought up the issue most in the tech space but also outside... some have just had a "short news segment" others have gone through all the stuff... some focused on some of it... Tech Deals had it in his livestream and went through all the SA claim posts etc. etc.

they must all try to profit GREATLY on the fall of LMG... while rubbing their hands of course...
or could it be that when news break out everyone covers it? doesn't matter if it is the tech space or the "red lollipop space" then lots of the channels bring it up because guess what it also interest their viewers.

3 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Its already kind of bad we only have two choices to choose from, and their obscure product verticals, I am pointing fingers both at Intel and AMD.

These companies lie. They don't fall under anti trust laws, these are slippery companies. So many stories how smaller fabs making custom chips for telco companies get swallowed up by mid sized companies owned by 4 semiconductor manufacturers. These smaller companies usually have dreams to expand their research and production to general purpose chipsets, like Intel or AMD

Will Steve ever talk about that? Or is he too good for it?

do you have any connections he could talk with? maybe he would be interested... he also do factory tour videos etc.

On 8/16/2023 at 3:03 PM, VeryScary said:

What does it being two months ago have to do with anything? 

The way they made it seem to everyone was they need this specific prototype back. Even GN said something along the lines of this prototype being one of a kind.

Prototype by definition is one of the kind. It was a bit exaggerated with that they were actually OK to leave the prototype with LTT if they would use it again for the sake of publicity, in which case they would have had another one built -- but it does take time and money. When they didn't even care to test it properly, obviously Billet wanted it back. The screwup with auctioning it off was a big one, on multiple levels as they knew for a long time by then that Billet wanted it back and they should have shipped it back alongside 3090 Ti (which they didn't even care to use for the test) long time ago.

If Billet knew straight away they won't get it back, they would have ordered another one, so in some ways Steve's criticism that it impedes work at Billet is true -- cause if I recall right it was more than a month before they found out it was sold and then they even still didn't hear back for days after asking if they will be compensated.

As about Steve's second response, I think it was deservingly smug because instead of addressing the valid criticisms, Linus went his usual emo gaslight route -- his response was so full of shit, there wasn't really much to add.

As about the apology video, it seems to be exactly the thing that was needed but somehow it doesn't sit well for me. It was plain, it was explaining what was done, it featured many team members.. and still, I guess there was something non-genuinely awkward about it, the whole corporate feel and the dumb jokes that didn't fit. I think that perhaps by splitting the narrative into these explanatory chunks didn't work well. Time will tell. I trust Linus has best intentions but you know how they say, road to hell is paved with best intentions. You shouldn't become arrogant and lose track of essentials with your grand plans.

Still got to see how the Madison affair plays out. From what information is out there now, it seems that she wasn't up to the level to work at Linus, still she wasn't treated well and especially the bits of sexual harassment, if true, are unacceptable, heads may have to roll.

34 minutes ago, NullValid said:

I guess in this sense Gamers Nexus was objectively wrong. Because there seems to be far more damage than LMG have received. 

I'm not sure what you mean, LMG is going to be fine, his fans will forget about this and keep watching, they forgot about the whole bad "adblock users are pirates" take, the "trust me bro"  warranty with Linus doubling down on it then acting upset like how dare people not trust him and their backpack sold out anyway despite being $250.

I've seen plenty of comments of people excusing all the inaccuracies being fine as they like LMG content for entertainment, so GN is the one at risk for taking the hit even though the videos are necessary.

37 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

I dobut Steve would want a promotional sponsorship from a company like Asus, those sort of sponsorships mean having to constantly use the brand of products which causes conflict with benchmark testing accuracy,  and not being able to be impartial to the brand even with product issues.

For the people that actually watch GN's videos he often buys products for review, or doesn't care if the company decides to not send him product samples because the review wasn't glaringly positive.