Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

I am focusing on what GN said, as people are shifting the blame onto GN, I personally believe GN has been professional and impartial with his videos.

1. People are only talking about the ethics as if its some concrete rule because Linus decided to deflect and gaslight people, there isn't any requirement for reaching out for comment. A lot of times in the media a reporter will say "we reached out for comment, but X company declined to make a statement" which usually means the company ignored them. Like I said GN has tried to talk to LMG before on things but Linus gets too emotional.

2. Linus talking about it on the WAN show isn't the same as making a video for the LTT channel that would make it a lot more clear to everyone, only the super fans sit through a 2-3 hour long WAN show. 

Also Linus talking about mouse issue doesn't change the comment they made in the video denying that the plastic was still on the mouse feet, when comments were pointing out the plastic was still on the mouse feet.

3. While a lot of youtubers can add text corrections in videos, only channels the size of LMG can edit or change a whole video video while still keeping all of the views and monetization of the initial video that was uploaded.

4. There is an inherent conflict of interest with Framework, LInus saying they have an investment with Framework doesn't change that they have a financial interest in Framework, and shouldn't be involved in laptop videos or reviews.

5.  GN isn't biased towards any sponsor though, there is nothing that needs a disclaimer as GN has given Asus fair criticisms for their faults. Meanwhile Linus went too easy on Asus while discussing the whole Asus motherboard BIOS problem, and went easy on the again by asking about something in a product manual because Asus is one of LMG's top sponsorships.

The only thing GN pointed out being a smaller channel is that they went into maknig the video knowing it would hurt them more than it would hurt LMG, LMG is a larger company and should be held to a higher standard because of the influence they have over the tech community.

There isn't anything objective by spinning the blame and blaming GN here, the pendantic nitpicking only show people want to attack GN because they think of Linus as a friend.

1. Steve specifically mention he did not want to contact Linus. Your wording if you defense on him. Not his actual wording in the video. And he started the video talking about ethic and proceed to shove it all away. He is the one bringing the conversation about his ethic not me.

2. Again you are jumping off point. I am only demanding Steve to do what he accuses LMG on. If he is not going to do what he is preaching about why bother? My point is based on his own video he should disclose that and he 'forgot' to do. Based on his own suggestion he should create an apology video to 'forgot' such an important fact. Again I am using Steve logic here

3. You are deflecting here. The issue again Steve DID NOT DISCLOSE that it is an industry standard practice to make text correction on mistake instead of reshoot. In fact it is very uncommon for creator to reshoot such a small mistake.

4. Again you are deflection. The issue is Steve does not disclose that LMG already disclose multiple time about framework and there is no evidence of bias provided at all. Only Steve insinuating bias without a spec of proof. As Steve want to be harbinger of ethics, in this instance LMG have done their ethical obligation while Steve clearly left ethics as just an excuse.

5. Again you are deflecting on this. Base on Steve own standard he should disclose his dispute with ASUS and his feeling on LMG due to ASUS issue. In which he did not.

It is funny that a valid critic to GN considered as an attack. All the point I made is factual and using Steve own standard in the video. All I ask is the disclosure that Steve clearly did not do. Based on the standard he propose he should be criticized 

4 hours ago, mikaelus said:

Holy fck, did you just say this? Seriously? Do you know ANYTHING about this case?

Do you?

You do understand despite later requesting to return it, it was originally GIVEN to them?

4 hours ago, mikaelus said:

They wanted to send it off to other outlets. But who am I talking to here? Some losers seeking validation by defending a bloke who wouldn't piss on them.

Oh, you don't. Got it.

Hard to send something off to other outlets when you originally gave it to LMG. 

8 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

they must all try to profit GREATLY on the fall of LMG...

I disagree that LMG is "falling" - companies make mistakes, LMG/LTT isn't immune from mistakes considering their size.

MKBHD makes mistakes all the time, they haven't fallen.

We like drama. We are at how many pages in this thread alone?

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

4 hours ago, SuperGnu said:

Because LMG stole their prototype. Can't send something that is stolen.

Cannot steal something that was originally given prior to June 23rd. They later (in late June) requested its return when Linus started trashing it.

13 minutes ago, kewtz said:

Hardware Unboxed launched a podcast on the heels of LTT/GN conflict and accusations.

Clearly they are trying to steal from the competition of both LTT/GN.

Some of you are claiming / stating utterly ridiculous things as fact.

Again, you're not going to get an internet loyalty badge from Linus for defending him.

Hardware Unboxed will take viewers away from GN. Thats the deal, their space is kinda similar.

4 minutes ago, kewtz said:

An impressive amount.

2 minutes ago, Loopers said:

Cannot steal something that was originally given prior to June 23rd. They later (in late June) requested its return when Linus started trashing it.

It does become stealing when it's later sold after a prior agreement to send it back, though. 

I'm applying Ikea spelling, meaning you get most of the words and letters, then it's up to you to assemble them correctly! 👍

6 minutes ago, Loopers said:

Do you?

You do understand despite later requesting to return it, it was originally GIVEN to them?

Where's the proof it was given? Did you see the agreement between the parties?

LMG is a corporate entity, there was paperwork / an agreement tied to this.

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

15 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

do you have any connections he could talk with? maybe he would be interested... he also do factory tour videos etc.

I don't think even my company will be interested to work with him. You see marketing people can be intelligent, yet at the same time can be asses. They will look at the 2 mill number and roll their eyes, its either linus sized, or TV media with atleast 9 tvr or print/digital media at similar rating points.

Heck you can even see that squarespace will have reservations in their dv360 campaigns, plain and simple.

Booking.com, smaller tech companies such as gigabyte, asus do blanket tech reviewer youtube campaigns.

How many squarespace ads have hampered your viewing of Steve speaking all around the globe?

32 minutes ago, Vexenar said:

Do you have proof other than hearsay? 

If not then people regurgitating this is just as bad as the people who are on the LMG hate bandwagon. 

The previous videos GN did about LMG was about the "Trust me bro" incident which were honestly warranted. 
After gigantic community backlash Linus finally relented and added a warrantee to a 250$ backpack while he still thought it didn't need one, that's extremely bad for a company who claims to support the rights of consumers. 

Nothing GN has done in real terms was warranted, other than to call out that they need to get their act together with mis-information.  THat is it.  The trust me bro, etc are all things they have learnt.  The trust me bro if anyone listen and watched their WAN shows will know that they even asked for feed back as the trust me bros step was all new to them; and as they say let them know so they can correct it... which the community did....  But do not claim that GN where the good guy in all this with their video on LMG now, as it is very obivious ill intent was made, covered in facts which the community have been pester LMG about for a while...    GN should just left out everything bar saying Linus, LMG come on listen to your community and here is the data where you made mistakes, and leave it at 15mins or so, not full on 44min video with ill intent on it as stated

6 minutes ago, kewtz said:

I disagree that LMG is "falling" - companies make mistakes, LMG/LTT isn't immune from mistakes considering their size.

MKBHD makes mistakes all the time, they haven't fallen.

r/whooooosh guess you missed the thick sarcasm... you didn't read the "while rubbing their hands"? 😉

and no they are not falling they just need to readjust... but put on the "with a grain of salt glasses" and read it again

1 minute ago, kewtz said:

2023-08-16 12_11_05-Window.png

3 minutes ago, kewtz said:

image.thumb.png.c1ca9067441bc754edc2e87a84c2cfe9.png

The above image pretty much confirms that they initially gave it to LTT for whatever they wanted to use it for. 
Edit: I see they actually blurred the price now on the video. Great job LMG!

I'm applying Ikea spelling, meaning you get most of the words and letters, then it's up to you to assemble them correctly! 👍

Just now, Loopers said:

Thank you.

Potato Revamp

1 hour ago, Cooldoe said:

Nope. The issues is more not making a courtesy call about the issue. Which usually the ethical thing to do as well.

If I am in GN shoe I will call Linus informing him I will publish this video and see if he have any comment.

That would be the ethical and bro thing to do.

Calling Linus does not prevent GN to publish the video. It show that he really want to solve the issue instead of looking to create controversies

Courtesy and Ethics are two different things...

If somebody did not act with courtesy it is uncourteous, but can still be ethical...

Initially, I was a little bit torn about GN not contacting Linus first, but after thinking about it and seeing his response I think it was the right call.

IF GN would have contacted Linus first I bet there would have been a huge gaslighting going on, a fast video turning the narrative in Linus favor, Linus trying to spin the narrative around the Billet Labs problem and the conflicts of interests with Asus and Intel...

We have seen that occasionally in WAN shows (see trust me bro etc.). Not to mention that Linus also would most likely not have had the courtesy to JUST reply or give an interview, but ( at least in my opinion) would have striked back to deflect, taking the momentum from GNs Video and making it look like its just a salty reply to Linus' video.

LTT and Linus had been approached multiple times about quality , well now it fell on their feet....

9 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

I don't think even my company will be interested to work with him. You see marketing people can be intelligent, yet at the same time can be asses. They will look at the 2 mill number and roll their eyes, its either linus sized, or TV media with atleast 9 tvr or print/digital media at similar rating points.

Heck you can even see that squarespace will have reservations in their dv360 campaigns, plain and simple.

Booking.com, smaller tech companies such as gigabyte, asus do blanket tech reviewer youtube campaigns.

How many squarespace ads have hampered your viewing of Steve speaking all around the globe?

funny because they have done factory tours on some rather big companies (like AMD) and does in depth interviews with the hardcore companies going into how they make their products etc. like Noctua
and made extremely good videos where you could learn a lot

so either your "company" must be super high on itself of extremely gigantic if they are better/bigger than AMD...

4 minutes ago, Loopers said:

I've reposted this picture so many times with no results. People will believe what they want to believe man...facts don't matter in this discussion....

Just now, Godiwa said:

funny because they have done factory tours on some rather big companies (like AMD) and does in depth interviews with the hardcore companies going into how they make their products etc. like Noctua
and made extremely good videos where you could learn a lot

so either your "company" but be super high on itself of extremely gigantic if they are better/bigger than AMD...

Nah, of course, we don't hold a candle to AMD, but you know marketing departments. Engineering don't have much say there.

But anyways, lets see in 6 months time, which companies choose to work with Steve.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but it seems somewhat related. Does anyone know if WAN show is happening tonight? It seems like they may have to break the streak. Would probably get a huge amount of viewers if they do it. But with the whole "we're shutting down video", I'm assuming there won't be one. I don't think they specifically mentioned WAN show. I'd imagine Linus is doing major damage control right now, and is a little afraid of facing his audience right now. I personally think the whole thing is a little bad, but I think it's got blown way put of proportion. If you Google LTT, there are tons of articles. I don't beleive that the most aggressive haters on this forum, actually want LTT canceled. I would imagine the vast majority of them will continue to watch LTT no matter how bad they say it is.

Just now, Owsleygarcia95 said:

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but it seems somewhat related. Does anyone know if WAN show is happening tonight? It seems like they may have to break the streak. Would probably get a huge amount of viewers if they do it. But with the whole "we're shutting down video", I'm assuming there won't be one. I don't think they specifically mentioned WAN show. I'd imagine Linus is doing major damage control right now, and is a little afraid of facing his audience right now. I personally think the whole thing is a little bad, but I think it's got blown way put of proportion. If you Google LTT, there are tons of articles. I don't beleive that the most aggressive haters on this forum, actually want LTT canceled. I would imagine the vast majority of them will continue to watch LTT no matter how bad they say it is.

My guess is, there won't be anything from LTT till thursday. So there will be no WAN show tonight. 

My wild guess, but keep your eyes peeled I guess.

I am not going to pretend I know the motives behind GN's videos. I am not going to pretend that LTT is innocent. I am not going to pretend that I have more information than others.

GN know their motives I can only judge them on their videos.

GN know their desired outcome, again I can only judge them on their reasoning within those videos.

LMG know what processes are broken.

LMG know why they needed restructuring.

It is miss-ingenious to presume that we know all the facts. The truth is we don't. I would suggest this conversation be halted until new evidence is presented.

The question all of you must ask is why we needed 310 pages to explain the exact situation over and over again.

It is time to put this topic to rest.

2 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Nah, of course, we don't hold a candle to AMD, but you know marketing departments. Engineering don't have much say there.

But anyways, lets see in 6 months time, which companies choose to work with Steve.

6 months won't change anything... he has gone after companies that rip their customers a new one for years... this is just another one in the line... nothing new here and changes nothing

3 minutes ago, andreimj said:

I've reposted this picture so many times with no results. People will believe what they want to believe man...facts don't matter in this discussion....

I legit missed it, 300+ pages, I haven't gotten through all the content.

I see it, I believe it, it's factual.

Potato Revamp

2 hours ago, Majestic12 said:

If you watch GN you see loads of snide remarks - these are a clear sign of jealousy if you read between the lines. No it's not written in stone for obvious reasons but Steve obviously doesn't like (and he has even outright said this even if slightly veiled) how LMG can be so big & popular when GN does things more fastidiously. Steve often disguises it as "other tech channels" but it's often very obvious he's talking about LMG.

If you think the manner in which Steve makes videos means he's jealous then you clearly don't watch any of Steve's videos. Him being a bit snarky or sarcastic is just how he makes video, its dry humor at times.

Also saying "other tech channels" doesn't mean anything really, if he is hinting at LMG, then its because of the inaccuracies in videos, which do deserve to be pointed out.

4 hours ago, Majestic12 said:

You're missing the point - I outright said that while GN raises valid concerns but it's the WAY they do it that I take issue with. They misrepresented more than one fact to drum up drama and on purpose made certain things seem worse than they were. Linus has shown Steve was wrong on some accounts while admitting work needs to be done on others and Steve then went after Linus saying "See, he's deflecting!". You can NOT ever win this way!

And Linus admitted the Billet Labs thing was a mistake from the start - he only took offense at the fact Steve insinuated he was being malicious by selling it on purpose. He neglected to mention Billet Labs had told LMG could keep it at first AND neglected to mention it was auctioned off for charity and not sold for profit. This alone shows where Steve's interests lie and it's NOT, as you and GN pretend, to wake LMG up. Why would they do it in such a malicious way if that were true?

It seems like you have concerns with GN because you don't like how he makes videos, he isn't to blame for the facts he brings up in both videos.

Also Linus is deflecting, he shifted the blame to GN in a very corporate sounding way rather than just taking the accountability for it,Linus has the reputation for not wanting to accept any blame.

As for the Billet labs mistake, LMG didn't pay Billet labs until GN published their video, LMG screwed up and sent the email to the wrong address, and while the intention may not have been malicious the intent seems that way because Linus says they didn't sell it they auctioned it as if that made it any less of a mistake, and the email said "it wasn't sitting on the shelf" which does imply they didn't intend on sending it back.

The block being sold for charity doesn't make it any better either when it shouldn't have been sold in the first place because the Billet labs block was a one off prototype that could have ended up in the hands of a competing company.

Also Billet labs said LMG could keep it if they did more videos on it, then Linus said it was crap and refused to test it again claiming it was too expensive to retest it, but doesn't have any problem with reviewing other expensive hardware when sponsorship money is involved.  People have pointed out the facts with the Billet labs mistake, but people keep blaming GN for it even though GN isn't to blame for anything here.

5 minutes ago, andreimj said:

10 minutes ago, Loopers said:

If we ask ourselves why these people don't accept facts we'll find out that it's because Steve chose to be biased. Their arguments are Steve's and not theirs. We can't rationally convince otherwise people that irrationally made up their mind. That's why this forum has 310 pages talking over and over about the same matters.....