Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Just now, Dom1252 said:

no I just die in 50 degrees and I let my CPU throttle because I don't have cooler on it, because no one cares about temps and it was sold without one, so why would I bother

Yeah, I have seen people either choose a cooler or opt out in raspberry pis. Your intel/amd cpu is just a bit bigger. So get a cooler for okay performance. 

31 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Well, I am here out of passion for entertainment. Steve just took 1 week of entertainment in short form video forms from me. I never allowed that. Also, he should've atleast had the talent to fill up such gaps when he chose this path. 

I don't care about GN or LTT. I want my entertainment like I am used to, it was LTT, not GN. Now I have to find something akin to LTT because of GN. 

The majority of your posts seem to point towards quite a big of LTT bias, while I am also a fan of /entertainment/ I would like the entertainment I am watching and they are showing to be factional and not filled with egregious amount of errors when compared to other outlets. This is especially the case when Linus himself says that the results of labs should be reflecting what the industry on a whole is seeing. 

In that context Steve his video made sense to publish.
And lets be fair, if this helps LMG as a whole improve their processes your entertainment will have more abundant quality which is a win/win in my opinion. 

41 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

No you didn't. People had pitchforks out for LTT when they didn't want to reply. We asked for an apology, we got one. We never asked to hear their side of the story. 

There were no pitchforks to speak of until Linus came with his initial reaction which was to say the least from professional, the fallout happened shortly after that.
Even the e-mail they showed in the apology video shows how unprofessional Colton was with his remark that the cooler wasn't at least "sitting on a shelf collecting dust", it shows that they have no respect for small companies regardless whether there were communication errors about handling the cooler. 

I said it before and I said it again, they improperly tested the cooler even though Billit sent a 3090 with it that it fit with and was properly configured for. 
Any testing data or thermals that came out of that test were pointless to discuss or talk about, because the testing process behind it was non-existent. 

They pushed a startup under the bus, and while I'm sure Billit wasn't 100% transparant towards GN about the information it's not like they had a fair chance to showcase their product or deal with a company the size of LMG to begin with. 

I'm applying Ikea spelling, meaning you get most of the words and letters, then it's up to you to assemble them correctly! 👍

5 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Yeah, I have seen people either choose a cooler or opt out in raspberry pis. Your intel/amd cpu is just a bit bigger. So get a cooler for okay performance. 

bruh, even rpi can't cool itself in full blast, just because it's fine in idle doesn't mean you're not wasting potential if you don't have cooler 

also  this: 

"Does an ARM based die need the same amount of current as an x86 die for the same of of floating point operations? No, the number is almost half. The heat output is less than half. Needs lower cooling to keep up with the ambient. " 

is by far the most false thing in this thread, and there were a lot of weird takes and twists 

maybe start learning about architectures before commenting on some... or stick to just defending LTT 

11 hours ago, andreimj said:

I don't know dude, I wan't to believe that the assumption is not true. I still respect both of these guys and I want to believe that none of them want to distroy eachother's career. There is plenty space for the both of them

I originally thought about it because I don't agree with GNs way of communication, especially the second video. It's just not reported objectively and puts assumption about Linus's reasoning as a fact("this can ONLY be gaslighting, the ONLY part he cared about was saving 500$" etc..if you gonna compress a 10 minute stance to a single 5 second comment and call the rest "rambling" you are not being objective)

That being said, thinking that Steve got angry for that comment and executed his revenge one year later is ridiculous and noone should do so. That's why I made sure to only call it a funny coincidence.

Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?

1 minute ago, Avant of Eredon said:

That being said, thinking that Steve got angry for that comment and executed his revenge one year later is ridiculous and noone should do so. That's why I made sure to only call it a funny coincidence.

The coincidence is even more hilarious when you combine it with what steve said at the roast of Linus;
"I don't know what costs less your sandals or your integrity"

Aged like fine wine. 

I'm applying Ikea spelling, meaning you get most of the words and letters, then it's up to you to assemble them correctly! 👍

13 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

And this is why Canuckastan can't have good things. 

but we do...lol

I advise people to go back to GN's video. Consider the language that was used, the choice of words that were used. Step back, remove emotion, and analyze every single word. You will realize a few things. The first thing is that GN didn't just report on their findings; they started an argument with their findings. Secondly, GN assumed they knew how LMG would respond by showing clips of past conversations.

How is this good reporting? Everyone, including LMG, has the right to change their mind about a past conversation. Anyone knows that things are said 'in a moment' that should not have been said.

The reality is that GN wanted to sink LMG. They had a lot of practice on this particular topic. They know how to create a narrative; they know how to deflect responsibility. We have seen this before. I cannot imagine anyone saying GN did a good job as a journalist.

However, this does not matter. Now let's consider the facts.

• No one can presume they know what someone else will say or what they are thinking, especially as a journalist.
  • GN created a narrative then reported on it, essentially creating 'the news.'
  • The language GN used is predatory. This should be recognized as part of their intent.
  • GN knew LMG was reforming and would have corrected itself, but they saw an opportunity to disrupt the process and cripple LMG.
  • GN should be held accountable for this. If not by LMG, then by the respective communities.
  • GN weaponized LMG's transparency and made assumptions about how they are going to respond.

I reiterate once again, I do not condone what LMG did. But I hope people realize that they have been manipulated by GN.

GN is a dangerous company, they should be treated and viewed as such. 

14 minutes ago, Vexenar said:

The majority of your posts seem to point towards quite a big of LTT bias, while I am also a fan of /entertainment/ I would like the entertainment I am watching and they are showing to be factional and not filled with egregious amount of errors when compared to other outlets. This is especially the case when Linus himself says that the results of labs should be reflecting what the industry on a whole is seeing. 

In that context Steve his video made sense to publish.
And lets be fair, if this helps LMG as a whole improve their processes your entertainment will have more abundant quality which is a win/win in my opinion. 

There were no pitchforks to speak of until Linus came with his initial reaction which was to say the least from professional, the fallout happened shortly after that.
Even the e-mail they showed in the apology video shows how unprofessional Colton was with his remark that the cooler wasn't at least "sitting on a shelf collecting dust", it shows that they have no respect for small companies regardless whether there were communication errors about handling the cooler. 

I said it before and I said it again, they improperly tested the cooler even though Billit sent a 3090 with it that it fit with and was properly configured for. 
Any testing data or thermals that came out of that test were pointless to discuss or talk about, because the testing process behind it was non-existent. 

They pushed a startup under the bus, and while I'm sure Billit wasn't 100% transparant towards GN about the information it's not like they had a fair chance to showcase their product or deal with a company the size of LMG to begin with. 

I do not agree the fall out happen after Linus post, it was all on before then... all the attacks personal and more against Linus and others... unfounded comments. with no time really to respond.  And to Linus who as we all know, heart on sleeve, came out, which was poor, and he said as much in his video.  So everything post before Linus and after and towards LMG is unfounded and not needed.   GN did wrong, and LMG have done so with regards not acting sooner.  SO yes they are going to fix things, and to that it was not because of GN, the community have been telling Linus and LMG for a while... and because of the fall out on here they have responded.  Yes LMG would have seen GN video, and they would have responded, but it was the fall out on the community that really pushed them.  GN just triggered some on here to go all out persoal

36 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

Wrong. Steve is an honest person. He's not a sellout like LMG, unlike them he cares about consumers and makes honest reviews while Linus company only cares about money and sponsors and doesn't even do their job properly and when they do, it's not done as professional way as Steve does and when LMG makes huge mistakes like we saw these days, they can't even man up about these mistakes and can't admit their flaws. It's just sad. Linus keeps embarassing him even more with these silly responds to be honest.

Steve is hypocritical - I used to like him but his actions betrayed him in the past. He's only honest on the surface but he has repeatedly taken things out of context to attack a company or brand. He acts as if he's this saviour of consumers sure, and he'll be liked for it I'm also sure but it's unethical the way he goes after companies and then pretends it's others who are unethical. 

No joke I didn't watch the GN video because I thought it was clickbait and my only hint that it was an actual "drama" is there being 300 pages of thread here.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, BigFatTeddy said:

No, he doesn't ask them to stop because they wouldn't. It's the internet, dude. Toxic people will do toxic things and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Besides blocking them.

Not telling the toxic people to stop is a problem when LMG is a large company, yet Linus still acts like they're working out of a garage, they need to act like they have a business with massive influence on the tech community, refusing to even try to distance themselves from the toxic part of the community is the problem.

Has nothing to do with age, rage and toxic behavior is gender- and age-neutral. You can be an asshole at every age.

It does when LMG attracts a younger audience, I notice a lot of new posters are just blindly raging at GN, the gaslighting LMG did worked especially on the audience they want to appeal to.

Being on the LTT-forum and assuming people don't care about the LTT content is...irrational. At best.

A lot of people here didn't care about the content at least when I joined the forum, however a lot of people have left the forum because they've been disappointed with the direction the forum has been going, and I've noticed a lot of people have only been coming here to fanclub for Linus while attacking GN. The toxic community rushing to defend Linus as if they are their friend happened with the "trust me bro" issue which could have easily been avoided entirely and it happened again with LMG attacking GN and HW Unboxed, which also could've been avoided with Linus putting out an apology or getting GN and HW Unboxed in a video to discuss things, but instead he decided to spin it around and blame GN for issues that LMG has needed to improve on for a long time.

1 minute ago, dragonuck76 said:

And to Linus who as we all know, heart on sleeve, came out, which was poor, and he said as much in his video. 

Linus his apology was mostly deflecting the key issues and taking valid criticism about the poor quality of LTT videos as personal. 
Did we read the same apology on the forums? 

Most of the comments on reddit and the forums said that they were going to take what Steve said with a grain of sand and wait for Linus or LMG's initial reaction to the criticism raised. All hell broke loose after Linus posted his initial thoughts on the forums and he started deflecting the issues and calling Steve out for not reaching out to him personally, which Steve was not entitled to do to begin with. 

4 minutes ago, dragonuck76 said:

SO yes they are going to fix things, and to that it was not because of GN, the community have been telling Linus and LMG for a while... and because of the fall out on here they have responded.

The fact that they are taking a week-long break to restructure their processes and work on producing more quality content shows you that most of the issues that were addressed (and the admitted to in the apology video) were mostly baind-aid fixes. As egrerious errors were still being released on most of their videos with caveat edits post production. Even their apology video had errors like failing to blurr Colton's actual work e-mail which he is no doubt getting blasted with e-mails on now. 

The GN video was needed for LMG to improve their processes and realize the scope of the problem. 
It's not like LMG is a small company now, manufacturers take them seriously and as far as tech is concerned they are now amongst the industry giants when reporting on it, as such their content should be treated as such, especially when they have a labs department that should be releasing content that is tested properly and in-line with industry standards. So far it hasn't. 

I am 100% certain that if the video was not posted by Steve these issues would not be addressed at the scope they are currently being addressed at. 

1 minute ago, dragonuck76 said:

I do not agree the fall out happen after Linus post, it was all on before then... all the attacks personal and more against Linus and others... unfounded comments. with no time really to respond.  And to Linus who as we all know, heart on sleeve, came out, which was poor, and he said as much in his video.  So everything post before Linus and after and towards LMG is unfounded and not needed.   GN did wrong, and LMG have done so with regards not acting sooner.  SO yes they are going to fix things, and to that it was not because of GN, the community have been telling Linus and LMG for a while... and because of the fall out on here they have responded.  Yes LMG would have seen GN video, and they would have responded, but it was the fall out on the community that really pushed them.  GN just triggered some on here to go all out persoal

This is the alarming aspect: GN weaponized Linus's shortcomings in this scenario. If you examine their videos closely, you'll notice that both were anticipating a negative response. GN was banking on this anticipation. They possess a personal understanding of Linus that goes beyond what the public knows; anyone familiar with LMG's videos recognizes that Linus can get emotional. I believe Linus was grappling internally. He held a deep respect for GN and Steve. That must have been painful, and it's important to acknowledge the human element in this situation.

We can discern GN's intention from their own words: 'They know how Linus will respond.' This is why I assert that they weaponized LMG's transparency, honesty, and faith that people would view their shortcomings positively. GN managed to turn this into a net negative, tapping into Linus's personal emotions, and they achieved the response they sought.

If you cannot perceive this, it might be helpful to take a step back and consider the extensive history. Psychological manipulation is challenging to detect, but with the right insight, it becomes evident.

13 minutes ago, 3m3m said:

I advise people to go back to GN's video. Consider the language that was used, the choice of words that were used. Step back, remove emotion, and analyze every single word. You will realize a few things. The first thing is that GN didn't just report on their findings; they started an argument with their findings. Secondly, GN assumed they knew how LMG would respond by showing clips of past conversations.

How is this good reporting? Everyone, including LMG, has the right to change their mind about a past conversation. Anyone knows that things are said 'in a moment' that should not have been said.

The reality is that GN wanted to sink LMG. They had a lot of practice on this particular topic. They know how to create a narrative; they know how to deflect responsibility. We have seen this before. I cannot imagine anyone saying GN did a good job as a journalist.

However, this does not matter. Now let's consider the facts.

• No one can presume they know what someone else will say or what they are thinking, especially as a journalist.
  • GN created a narrative then reported on it, essentially creating 'the news.'
  • The language GN used is predatory. This should be recognized as part of their intent.
  • GN knew LMG was reforming and would have corrected itself, but they saw an opportunity to disrupt the process and cripple LMG.
  • GN should be held accountable for this. If not by LMG, then by the respective communities.
  • GN weaponized LMG's transparency and made assumptions about how they are going to respond.

I reiterate once again, I do not condone what LMG did. But I hope people realize that they have been manipulated by GN.

GN is a dangerous company, they should be treated and viewed as such. 

Completely agreed. GN is a dangerous company, but given their size, 6 employees, one of which is a consultant, I think its okay to say Steve is a dangerous and cunning individual, and should be recognized as such. I don't think we should be vilifying the 6 people working for him for this. 

1 minute ago, hmfaysal said:

Completely agreed. GN is a dangerous company, but given their size, 6 employees, one of which is a consultant, I think its okay to say Steve is a dangerous and cunning individual, and should be recognized as such. I don't think we should be vilifying the 6 people working for him for this. 

I agree and the same goes for LTT staff, they shouldn't be paying the price yet they are. LMG took one hell of a hit. I don't know if they will be able to recover. GN had no respect for any of the employees at LTT. Steve as GN made the choice and did what he believed was the right call. He did not care what this will do to the people that work at LMG.

1 minute ago, Vexenar said:

Linus his apology was mostly deflecting the key issues and taking valid criticism about the poor quality of LTT videos as personal. 
Did we read the same apology on the forums? 

Most of the comments on reddit and the forums said that they were going to take what Steve said with a grain of sand and wait for Linus or LMG's initial reaction to the criticism raised. All hell broke loose after Linus posted his initial thoughts on the forums and he started deflecting the issues and calling Steve out for not reaching out to him personally, which Steve was not entitled to do to begin with. 

The fact that they are taking a week-long break to restructure their processes and work on producing more quality content shows you that most of the issues that were addressed (and the admitted to in the apology video) were mostly baind-aid fixes. As egrerious errors were still being released on most of their videos with caveat edits post production. Even their apology video had errors like failing to blurr Colton's actual work e-mail which he is no doubt getting blasted with e-mails on now. 

The GN video was needed for LMG to improve their processes and realize the scope of the problem. 
It's not like LMG is a small company now, manufacturers take them seriously and as far as tech is concerned they are now amongst the industry giants when reporting on it, as such their content should be treated as such, especially when they have a labs department that should be releasing content that is tested properly and in-line with industry standards. So far it hasn't. 

I am 100% certain that if the video was not posted by Steve these issues would not be addressed at the scope they are currently being addressed at. 

Linus is sensitive to criticism because LTT is his baby, he feels responsible and the guy is a workaholic. This level of criticism (even if most of it is at least partially warranted) comes very hard especially when some of it was portrayed by GN in a needlessly negative light. GN then attacked him for Linus being disappointed that they didn't come to him first while he had good points to make (about selling for profit vs auctioning for charity). Then GN attacked him AGAIN by twisting his reply to be something it was not.

And you're surprised he took this personally? GN for all their "it's not personal" nonsense DID make it personal. They went after Linus himself more than once.

Having said all this, Linus needs to learn to shut up in this case because it's not helping his case no matter how unfair some of the accusations are. GN is an expert in this by now - they're great at twisting the knife in the wound they created. Even a minor screw up is enough reason for GN to make yet another follow up video.

6 minutes ago, 3m3m said:

This is the alarming aspect: GN weaponized Linus's shortcomings in this scenario. If you examine their videos closely, you'll notice that both were anticipating a negative response. GN was banking on this anticipation. They possess a personal understanding of Linus that goes beyond what the public knows; anyone familiar with LMG's videos recognizes that Linus can get emotional. I believe Linus was grappling internally. He held a deep respect for GN and Steve. That must have been painful, and it's important to acknowledge the human element in this situation.

We can discern GN's intention from their own words: 'They know how Linus will respond.' This is why I assert that they weaponized LMG's transparency, honesty, and faith that people would view their shortcomings positively. GN managed to turn this into a net negative, tapping into Linus's personal emotions, and they achieved the response they sought.

If you cannot perceive this, it might be helpful to take a step back and consider the extensive history. Psychological manipulation is challenging to detect, but with the right insight, it becomes evident.

This is exactly what I thought as well. They even outright said they didn't bother asking for his opinion "because he'd deflect anyway". Considering they claimed this wasn't personal, they sure made an effort to make it personal after all.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Not telling the toxic people to stop is a problem when LMG is a large company, yet Linus still acts like they're working out of a garage, they need to act like they have a business with massive influence on the tech community, refusing to even try to distance themselves from the toxic part of the community is the problem.

I'm not disagreeing with this. But I do get why he doesn't do it because there is "only" moral responsibility for the behavior of his fanboy and no real accountability. Your framing this as a problem, but I don't think that any corp would do the same. As a corp, you're not responsible for your customers' behavior. So why risk business by fiddling around with this. It's still the internet, and as long as you don't have to deal with any liability, the mob will march on and people will forget.

12 hours ago, Godiwa said:

Yes it is possible... varying from channel to channel it ranges from 60-90% that isn't subbed but still view 😉

his LTT video 4,03 million views.... subs 2,03.... that is 2 million more views than subs... and I doubt 100% of his subs watched that video... a wild guess maybe 50% so that leaves 3 million "strangers" that aren't subbed

true,  im only subbed to like two channels. Which i don't even watch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

This is exactly what I thought as well. They even outright said they didn't bother asking for his opinion "because he'd deflect anyway". Considering they claimed this wasn't personal, they sure made an effort to make it personal after all.

That and they seem to forget the fact they can still publish the video event if Linus deflect. That is normally what most journalist do btw.

Steve GN is clearly looking to ambush Linus as he know that he will be hothead enough to make stupid comment without clearly explaining his opinion seeing that WAN show is so far away as Steve choose to publish on Monday knowing full well Linus forced to either make text comment (which he did stupidly) or create an apology video that he can create another content to attack.

And he conveniently forget that Linus already want to address the mistake issue on the previous WAN show

12 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

Linus is sensitive to criticism because LTT is his baby, he feels responsible and the guy is a workaholic.

Linus is also the face of the company, and him lashing out and deflecting criticism that's raised at his company when the crisicism is warranted is bad. 
It doesn't matter whether he is a workaholic or feels responsible, he should not be responding like that when running a company. 

This level of criticism (even if most of it is at least partially warranted) comes very hard especially when some of it was portrayed by GN in a needlessly negative light. GN then attacked him for Linus being disappointed that they didn't come to him first while he had good points to make (about selling for profit vs auctioning for charity). Then GN attacked him AGAIN by twisting his reply to be something it was not.

I respectfully disagree, the level of criticism was needed because Linus has a track record of also spinning his own story about it. 
Linus completely dug his heels in the sand and doubled down while he knew he was wrong and should have just taken the L and gracefully taken the valid criticism, had he done that the community would have applauded him as a hero and GN would have had no ammunition to create that second video.

Rather than focussing on GN their video we should focus on Linus and his systemic track record of not being able to see why what he thinks is wrong, I'd like to point towards the "trust me bro" incident where he was obviously wrong, called out for it and decided to double and triple down until the community backlash was so big he **HAD** to change his stance. 

And even then he still thought the community was wrong rather than his own views on warrantee. 

And you're surprised he took this personally? GN for all their "it's not personal" nonsense DID make it personal. They went after Linus himself more than once.

As I've stated above this quote, Linus 100% deserves that stance from GN and any other tech outlet because of his systemic track record of shifting the blame and deflecting responsibility. 

I love the guy as a personality, truly, but he needs to deal with his ego and start admitting when he is wrong. 
It's getting to the point where it can actually do damage to LMG as a whole. 

3 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

Yes, Linus got played in the worst possible way. He got played by someone that knew him intimately, and that have spend a lot of time with them publicly as GN. This changed the way I view GN. GN like LMG have good people working for the channel. No one wants to see them get hurt. I just wish Steve saw LMG in the same light. Good people are working hard to do the very best they can do.

But weaponizing a friendship in this way, manipulating a person in this way. That is beyond terrifying. If I was friends with Steve from GN I would reevaluate that friendship carefully. Analyze every conversation and be very selective of what I share in future. Thankfully I am not but those who are should be careful. The old saying "with friends like this, who needs enemies" rings true here. 

2 minutes ago, 3m3m said:

But weaponizing a friendship in this way, manipulating a person in this way. That is beyond terrifying. If I was friends with Steve from GN I would reevaluate that friendship carefully. Analyze every conversation and be very selective of what I share in future. Thankfully I am not but those who are should be careful. The old saying "with friends like this, who needs enemies" rings true here. 

Let's be real here, Steve and Linus have not been buddy buddy for years and Steve made it abundantly clear that they were going to treat LMG like any other big company about a year ago. 

Expecting Steve to take the friendship route after he made it clear he wouldn't is silly. 

Just now, Vexenar said:

Let's be real here, Steve and Linus have not been buddy buddy for years and Steve made it abundantly clear that they were going to treat LMG like any other big company about a year ago. 

Expecting Steve to take the friendship route after he made it clear he wouldn't is silly. 

Yes let's be real, Steve and Linus's friendship on camera goes way back. Can you confidently say you know of every conversation they ever had? I doubt you can. I suspect they actually had a back-and-forth a few times on many subjects. However, Linus is an open book. Most of us know this. If we can say this how much more does someone know about Linus that spend time with him off camera?

As you said, let's be realistic.

1 hour ago, Majestic12 said:

This is a perfect example of what I wrote earlier - Steve didn't care about this because it didn't fit in his hit piece. He pretends to be all "I don't want to do this" but then leaves out anything that might be in LMG's defence. It's utter bullshit and I can't believe people can't see through this. Steve knows that subscribers gained are more important than the views on a single video so this whole "We have no horse in this race" attitude is pure lies. Let's face it: LMG has flaws but at least they're going to work on them. GN acts as if they're anointed by god.

Claiming Steve only made the video as a "hit piece" or that he "acts as if the'yre anointed by god" is complete nonsense.

The reasons are very obvious why Steve didn't want to have to make the video but it is well justified as he reported on things out in the open in videos, when someone can point out mistakes being made for a long time then the call out needs to be done.

2 hours ago, Majestic12 said:

I've been subscribed to GN and to LTT for many many years and I was surprised to see the original video pop up on GN. I mean, I knew GN has gone after some big brands in the past but this was not just a brand, this was a competing Youtube channel and "conflict of interest" immediately sprung to mind.

I watched the video with all my attention and while I agreed with what was said, I didn't agree with the severity they treated each "problem". For example taking down the video because a single benchmark of a single test that is only on-screen for all of 1 second that doesn't really impact the overall view of the product is just silly. I know GN are patron saints of numbers but that's not being realistic. A footnote in the video is more than enough to rectify this.

BUT. I've noticed a pattern with GN and have so for quite some time and I'm surprised so few people have caught on. GN have become more and more vicious when tackling a problem to the point where they often turn them into witch hunts. For all their posturing, it feels disingenuous to me how they act as if the LTT video would be bad for them, how they didn't want to do it, how they would turn off monetization, etc. but in reality their subscriber count is up 200.000 and that of LTT is down 200.000.

Steve and GN in general have been milking each case to the bone in the past - the riser card issue, the PSU issue, the ASUS BIOS issue, etc. and often they'd wilfully misinterpret what was going on to drum up the drama. The ASUS BIOS issue where AMD CPUs received too high a voltage was a good example Steve acted as if the BIOS disclaimer (that installing the update would void the warranty) was added specifically to shirk responsibility which was utter nonsense. It was a standard disclaimer that was added to ALL BIOS updates and had been for many many many years. Linus pointed this out on the WAN show.

There's more examples of this like them stripping paint off the riser card AND PC case to force an issue they claimed would happen because of bad riser card design. Since they couldn't reproduce it in normal circumstances, they started to force the issue and then used the footage of sparks and flames in half of their videos going forward in a very disingenuous way.

The problem isn't with GN being right or wrong, it's with how they tackle the issue and how they handle it. They're now doing exactly the same with LMG as they did with ASUS and others before them: they misrepresent facts by exaggerating them and then when the companies respond, they also twist what was said to make more content. For example, they implied that the cooling block was sold for profit, making big deal out of that and when Linus said "Actually it was auctioned off for charity, we didn't make any money off of it" they called it "JUSTIFYING". No Steve, I know you're better with numbers than people but this wasn't justifying. It's called correcting you for implying something worse.

While LMG does need to dial down the amount of videos & focus on quality and accuracy, GN should also stop acting as if they're some charity and as if they do all this out of the goodness of their heart. If it was, why go out of your way to portray a situation in their worst light?

If you don't like the style in how Steve does videos thats fine but attacking GN in order to defend Linus and LMG is wrong in my opinion.

All of the companies that Steve has called out for anti-consumer things were right of them to do, these companies are selling things to the consumer that are a fire hazard, or can ruin a CPU then deny warranty or even admit they did anything wrong.

I'd like to see more tech youtubers call out companies for bullshit, but many of them don't want to risk upsetting sponsors, or care more about the money as LMG clearly does, and more about the money than getting basic testing in a review right.

The thing with the PCI-e riser is that the paint could be easily scratched off by installing and  removing it just a few times, and the company admitted it was an issue and tried to fix it, before anyone buying it risked ruining their PC or worse setting their house on fire.

As for the PSU, those were also dangerous and should've been fully recalled by Newegg, Newegg as a company has also been going downhill with terrible support and allowing marketplace sellers to sell junk so buyers have to be careful when buying that an item comes from a reputable seller or directly from Newegg.

And as for the Asus motherboard issue, Asus chose to put that disclaimer in a BIOS when the BIOS was causing the motherboard to break the CPU, no other manufacturer was denying warranty even if others had the same problem.

Also for the whole Billet labs issue, that is on LMG, they sold it, then claimed it was fine because "at least it wasn't sitting on a shelf" then Linus said it wasn't sold it was auctioned, it being for charity also makes it worse as the charity is involved in the probelm.

And no the whole issue is on LMG to improve, GN only brought up the mistakes LMG has been for years now, GN tried to contact them with the "trust me bro" issue but Linus ignored them and took it personally instead something they need to resolve as a company. Steve decided to treat LMG like every other company he's done a video on after that and I think that is justified when Linus takes everything personally instead of admitting they made a mistake.

Edited by Blademaster91
spelling