Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

2 minutes ago, Orthusaku said:

How does one "unintentionally sold it at auction for charity" like you have to take it out of storage, get it approved to be auctioned, verify it wasn't to be sent back, take it to LTX, put it on the table.

Like multiple steps were taken to get it auctioned.

Yup Im sure there were many steps, but if the person who knew it had to go back wasnt in that workflow, um yeah, bye bye.  Think if you were just some employee who was told "grab 10 items from teh shelf of misfit toys" for the auction, you can't blame them for grabbing it.  

LMG needs to better account for the equipment they have and establish chain of custody best practices so shit can be accounted for from receipt to discharge.

1 minute ago, RevengeofProfKatz said:

He actually did explain it at the start of the first video covering this entire mess. Steve literally said:

Steve followed that up with:

Expecting people to not selectively forget pieces of the video that don’t align with their latest argument?? You’re asking for disappointment 

4 minutes ago, kalleth said:

Thank you for acknowledging that. Your original post said it was required, and I just wanted to correct that it wasn't required. I agree that your sources point out that there are guidelines that state that in general, it is good practice to ask for comment before running a story on an individual or organisation.

My reference to the legal requirement is that it acts as a defense against claims of libel, by preserving the neutral tone of the outlet.

If this were Steve’s justification, he would have mentioned it. He didn’t acknowledge a request for comment until called out, so his reasoning may or may not be honorable. Since he knows the standard and says he applies it, my thinking is that the omission here is fishy. 

However, there are exceptions to that (if, for example, as @aka473 points out, if that would lead to the story changing). My personal opinion is that this story was appropriate to run without comment (but with the right to reply - which Linus did, very poorly, and which Steve then covered on the same channel as the original claim). I don't see Steve/GN as doing anything wrong here.

The omission, including the omission of any explanation until called on it, is wrong. It’s either incompetence or malice, and it’s ironic given the subject matter.

I'd point out that @Amaninacity is posting US sources (NPR, etc) and you're posting UK sources, just to make sure people don't talk past each other. But in general terms, I've seen comment before in this thread that matches the IPSO's interpretation in other countries -- I just can't find the post right now.

That IPSO source also pretty clearly specifies that serious allegations not in the public record (the issue with the dispute over the water block, for instance) DO require comment. These were allegations made by the block manufacturer in reference to their dealings with Linus that Steve reported as fact without getting the other side.

Even if the facts of the story were fully correct, it was a bad journalistic practice to neither offer the chance for LMG to comment nor to explain why they didn’t in the original piece.

@aka473 isn’t reading his own sources to verify they say what he wants them to.

Maybe a certain couple of people can take their personal attacks on each other somewhere else. It's hard enough keeping up with this thread.

3 minutes ago, jooroth18 said:

I dont think its exactly how it happened. Here is what i think

The writer sets it up thinking he grabbed a 3090 but it was a 4090, as per shown in the beginning of the video

This implies that the 3090 billet sent was lost at logistics, which was pointed out by linus in an upcoming video exploring different lmg processes.

The writer asked Billet if it would work on a 4090. Billet says its possible. 

They make the video, and afterward when performance is revealed, the writer asks if they can use a 3090 because thats what billet said was compatible with.

Linus determines that the cost of sending someone out to the labs place to pick up a 3090, and the time to install would cost too much, and decides to move on.

I sounds about right. Either way it wasn't malice. It was incompetence, and miscommunication.

1 minute ago, PandaSasquatch said:

Stolen? That's a poor choice of words. Stolen implies intent, and is a brain dead take.

After agreeing to return the product in email to the company and then selling it, That constitutes Theft by Canadian Criminal Code. Hows that for a "brain dead take"... 

1 minute ago, Gianluca Angeli said:

Dude are you insane? Do you expect people to read 155 pages of replies? Bruh

I expect people to read something, before they start shitting all over the place like they have. They've been here a half-hour and have only posted vitriol.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Seems like Linus had a real "Don't you guys have phones?"-moment with that statement.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard: B550 AORUS PRO AC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @3600MT/s | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 1TB & Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB | PSU: Cooler Master V-Series V750 Gold V2 750W | Display(s): MSI Optix MAG342CQR - 1440p144 & 2x 1080p60 | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 | Keyboard: Logitech G815 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Sound: Logitech Z906 5.1 Sound System | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Leksi T said:

Maybe a certain couple of people can take their personal attacks on each other somewhere else. It's hard enough keeping up with this thread.

i gave up replying on it. same goes for reddit threads to. not woth the snipe attacks etc anymore.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

3 minutes ago, Abraxaz said:

Exactly, my bet is this was hidden from Linus.

I bet if Steve had contacted Linus about it, Linus wouldn't have even known about it.

But since the nzxt fire issue that hasn't been Steve's style, outrage gets views see his monetisation of the latest video 

I wasnt talking about Steve, he has done the right thing. the LMG employee that was in charge of the prototype is at wrong and there is no way that he didnt tell Linus about that.

you need to stop thinking that Linus is a saint that cant to wrong.

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

That's not the issue here, Steve made his own standards and pats himself on the back for them constantly, he's diverged from them to make this video. I am calling out that divergence, for standards he made for him/GN. I am not at all concerned about what some guidelines for journalists say, that's not the discussion here. I am discussing a person sticking to their own ethos consistently, which Steve isn't doing here.

You claim that he is violating his standards, when it is clear he isn't.

10 minutes ago, K4shira said:

After LMG realized they've stolen a multi thousand dollar prototype you'd think they'd immediately call Linus and/or the CEO to get this issue fixed ASAP, and with ASAP I mean within the hour.

Why would you wait one business day to solve this? It would be the right thing to fix this immediately, also it would be good to not be known in the community for stealing prototypes/review samples, and you'd think they'd do everything they can to avert being charged for theft... They realized that they potentially commited a crime (theft), so why would they wait? That is something that warrants calling the boss even if he's on vacation to fix it immediately. The fact that they thought this can wait until next week just proves the questionable ethics of LMG.

People keep using that word stolen. Nothing was "stolen." The block was effectively lost and wrongly sold at a charity auction. Get a grip.

Just now, daydreamfaze said:

After agreeing to return the product in email to the company and then selling it, That constitutes Theft by Canadian Criminal Code. Hows that for a "brain dead take"... 

Ignorance of the law does not make one immune to it... You dont take something you KNOW is not yours and sell it....or auction it even... Its not YOUR property... 

1 minute ago, Jai_2501 said:

I feel like that's the thing. I dunno what goes on at lmg but the team has gotten so huge so quickly that their communication system (whatever it was) is either not cutting it or needs to be changed. How tf do you mess up so bad? And we know this isn't singular because as Steve pointed out there are so many issues.

Right?

So who is accountable?

Linus/whoever was directly in contact with billet? Definitely. First failure in the chain.

Logistics? Above Should have told logistics to send it back then.

Promotions/PR for auctioning it? Well if logistics knew, then why did they allow P/PR to auction it? If they didn't know, how do you account for non company property? Do you at all?

Who told you it was missing? It's a good question. Did you scroll through your old emails and go "oh shit I have that one of a kind prototype to send back!" Then start asking questions? Or did someone else go "hey, trying to send back that billet labs prototype and I've got some bad news.." how did you handle that?

There's a completely lack of accountability and so many holes in the responsibility and communication between different departments as evidenced by this happening in the first place.

I guarantee that Linus himself wasn't responsible for sending this back, he allowed it to snowball by expecting it to be taken care of by someone else. If it was his responsibility, he deserves every bit of shade getting thrown his way.

And if I'm right, he still deserves it, but he can also still make it better moving forward.

I don't believe Linus even had that response seen by anyone (or not enough people) before posting it.

12 minutes ago, Abraxaz said:

So many people that don't seem to understand how LMG works. It's not a small company it has 100 people working in it.

How many times do you guys email your ceo in your day to day emails. I bet Linus didn't even know about this until the GN video went live. The fact it's been resolved so quickly most likely means that Linus/CEO didn't know about this.

If Steve had contacted Linus directly this probably wouldn't have been such a issue and resolved very quietly. 

Linus needs to fire the member of staff as a example and let everyone know the person has been fired due to Steve's diligent investigation. 

I mentioned this elsewhere, but Linus just doesn’t seem to know what’s going on at all. It’s gotten so big, he has to ask others for context when a video is made and he’s not in it. I can’t imagine he’s doing much of the prep work for the videos since he’s running around to be in each video since I assume multiple are shot at once.

4 minutes ago, Gianluca Angeli said:

Dude are you insane? Do you expect people to read 155 pages of replies? Bruh

I think their continuing to engage with a troll speaks for itself.

3 minutes ago, RevengeofProfKatz said:

He actually did explain it at the start of the first video covering this entire mess. Steve literally said:

Steve followed that up with:

Notice how this is a preemptive martyring of himself, and not an acknowledgement/explanation related to his failure to request comment. He doesn’t mention the fact that he didn’t bother to request comment at all. This is not a personal relationship thing, it’s a professional ethics thing.

4 minutes ago, Retire said:

its weird how you resort to petty insults while i correctly called you out on your stupid responses and literal dickriding of Linus, he won't be your daddy, he's not gonna get in bed with you, he wont read out segways to their sponsors in the middle of the night, Santa Claus isn't real, The Earth is not Flat, Water is not Wet, and peoples online aren't your friends

You have absolutely zero room to comment about 'petty insults', your posts have been nothing but them. It's not my fault you're so new here, that you haven't even read many posts before vomiting your garbage at people.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

3 minutes ago, just yellow said:

I don't believe Linus even had that response seen by anyone (or not enough people) before posting it.

This is why he NEEDS to talk about this at least for a little bit on WAN. Luke needs to be there to pull the foot out of his mouth 🙂

6 minutes ago, PandaSasquatch said:

Yeah, I mean, you can't expect "Tech Jesus" to have consistent ethical standards on monetization can you? /s

The recap and additional info on the Billet issue probably wasn't worth doing another video on, putting a recap of something he discusses is what GN usually does. Also bringing up ethics is quite ironic when it took GN going public about Billet for LMG to compensate for selling the block. 

Just now, Drazil100 said:

I sounds about right. Either way it wasn't malice. It was incompetence, and miscommunication.

That wasn’t the malicious part though. What was malicious was Linus totally ignoring the specifications of the product, rating it based on incorrect usage then trashing on it. He could have just said it doesn’t work for a 4090 and left it at that but he didn’t. This is one of the few times where not reading the instructions and doing “jank for entertainment” was malicious from the get go.

I didn't like GNs video. It was too overdramatised and didn't reach for comment. Most of the issues have already been highlighted in the comments, so I won't bother repeating it. GNs coverage of the matter has been kind of motivated.

However, the issue is kind of clear now. LTT has grown too large too quickly and you guys don't have the tools to deal with more than a 100 people. Couple that with the rapid expansion of the labs stuff, you can see how such frequent comms breakdowns start taking place. 

As for the Billet labs stuff, I seriously don't think that LTT wouldve sold the waterblock out of malice as some talking heads on the internet suggest. They aren't that stupid, especially after they faced that massive blowup over issues with licensing of some software. It seems more likely that someone sent someone an email, that wasn't read and someone accidentally put on a wrong tag that let to the thing being sold. 

The main thing that ltt needs to do is to figure out how to actually grow up and transition away from the company of a few people to that of a few hundred, or else these issues won't be mitigated.

4 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I expect people to read something, before they start shitting all over the place like they have. They've been here a half-hour and have only posted vitriol.

There is nothing to read here that add more info to the conversation. 

People are coming here because they are mad at LTT/Linus, they don't care about what random user 1422312 wrote 3 hours ago LMAO