Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Just now, Spotty said:

To clarify; all proceeds of the auction at LTX were donated to charity (Extra Life I believe). I am not saying this excuses what happened, but it's not fair to say that the reason it happened was greed.

Swap greed with Ego then.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

1 minute ago, Rysters Tech said:

Geez, i agree with GN but my god is that extreme. Could you imagine how scarring that would be for his children, how that would affect them, especially at their age? Good god have you gone too far.

what, they would get to experience something millions of kids around the world do? would be a life lesson, a better life lesson than begin forced to say please every second word

6 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

It doesn't matter if it's Linus' "own money", he owns LMG/has direct say in what occurs at the company.  There is a conflict of interest at that stage, and the ones where he hosts the videos is even more of a conflict of interest.

Because it's personal money, not company money invested. The company itself is not invested so it's not a conflict from a company standpoint. 

Disclaimer: I have yet to watch the video as I am at work yet and am in no way defending Linus.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Slizzo said:

No, many here are saying there should have been private notification about this current video.

Understood. Is there evidence that this didn't happen?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

9 minutes ago, FadedSpark said:

Pardon?

He offered anyone unhappy with a correction set a refund. How better could that possibly have been handled?

Product recall. Refund or exchange go get all the mislabeled products out of the wild.

The moment Linus indirectly called GN out on WAN show about the backpack situation I knew a GN video is coming. Steve takes extreme pride in his journalistic integrity, it's the entire back bone of his channel and getting "called out" for trying to be as objective as possible is gonna lit the fuse immediately. As far as my opinion goes, I think it's safe to say that spreading your attention thin between multiple channels and multiple business venture is bound to yield lower quality results and that's what LTT has felt like in the last 5-6 months to a year.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 4080 Super Gaming OC
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

Just now, Skipple said:

Understood. Is there evidence that this didn't happen?

No, there isn't. I was just adding that detail to call out the ones saying that a public video shouldn't have been posted at all.

2 minutes ago, SAUVE76 said:

I spent 5mins on Steves video then stopped...I don't use just one source for anything I intend to buy or review just to know about that item of interest.  LTT even state viewers to do so.  I enjoy LTT videos for info as it is done with a bit of fun...to add if I am interested in what ever it is in that video, i review the site of the manufacturer and other reviews.  Yes maybe some fixes at LTT are needed and even Linus and others there state this is needed.  So what was the point of the video bar an attack.  I believe as LTT are spending as they are on the lab as being the reasoning and for me that is poor on GN part.  That for me is disturbing as it's against the approach of having more than one source for such things, so the LTT Lab should be welcomed by GN, not a reason to attack. GN need to retract the video and approach differently or they lose credibility for me.  

You should watch the whole video

2 minutes ago, Rysters Tech said:

Geez, i agree with GN but my god is that extreme. Could you imagine how scarring that would be for his children, how that would affect them, especially at their age? Good god have you gone too far.

Don't worry, that won't happen 🙂 the worst thing that can happen to LMG or Linus is a few million dollar settlement

7 minutes ago, jamaniek said:

Unfortunately that's not going to happen. Whoever bought it bought it fair and square. Even if it's a competitor I'm not sure whether it's allowed to publicize such information without permission. The fault falls solely on LMG in this case.

it is fun the law maybe different in Canada, but here, if you buy stolen goods, you can be punished as hard as the thief..

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

To clarify; all proceeds of the auction at LTX were donated to charity (Extra Life I believe). I am not saying this excuses what happened, but it's not fair to say that the reason it happened was greed.

Might be a little malicious though. At the very least it's ineptitude that allowed a 1 of a kind prototype that a company requested to be returned be sold instead. The amount of levels that would have to pass through to happen is either too many to say oops, or not nearly enough for a company this size.

Many people have already pointed out, but yeah the Billet Labs story is a big fuck-up on Linus's part. It's quite ironic that they got mad about one of the Wan Show  LTT Backpacks prototypes ending up in someone else's hands at the same time they were auctioning the Billet Labs block.

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Because it's personal money, not company money invested. The company itself is not invested so it's not a conflict from a company standpoint. 

It is though, as Linus is the owner of LMG and essentially has all the influence over LMG itself.  It doesn't matter if it's "his money"; as he has the controlling interest in a company that is reviewing competitors laptops.  If the whole "private money" was true, people would just create tons of shell corporations and have each one run to limit the amount of disclosures needed.

4 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

what, they would get to experience something millions of kids around the world do? would be a life lesson, a better life lesson than begin forced to say please every second word

If what GN said was true, then Linus essentially highly disparaged a company and effectively destroyed their prime candidate sample.  They should be entitled to fair compensation if that's true.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

3 minutes ago, Lyre said:

The point isn't that they're not entertainment the point is that they're selling themselves as the next big 3rd Party auditor and having obviously wrong info

I agree 100%. In my mind, it’s either them admitting that labs is not the best source of info at this moment and might never be or making sure to put in a lot more work hours in making sure that data and all of the processes reflect what Linus is selling to the audience. Either way, they have to be very careful about what they say next and this is going to be a fun WAN show

5 minutes ago, SAUVE76 said:

I spent 5mins on Steves video then stopped...I don't use just one source for anything I intend to buy or review just to know about that item of interest.  LTT even state viewers to do so.  I enjoy LTT videos for info as it is done with a bit of fun...to add if I am interested in what ever it is in that video, i review the site of the manufacturer and other reviews.  Yes maybe some fixes at LTT are needed and even Linus and others there state this is needed.  So what was the point of the video bar an attack.  I believe as LTT are spending as they are on the lab as being the reasoning and for me that is poor on GN part.  That for me is disturbing as it's against the approach of having more than one source for such things, so the LTT Lab should be welcomed by GN, not a reason to attack. GN need to retract the video and approach differently or they lose credibility for me.  

You missed the entire premise and core content of the video.

You should watch the whole thing.

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

And Linus doesn't write all the laptop reviews for example he didn't write the M2 Macbook review he hosted. So I tend to not think too much about the framework investment.

Unless he writes the video directly which isn't usually the case now a days.

2 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

it is fun the law maybe different in Canada, but here, if you buy stolen goods, you can be punished as hard as the thief..

Even unknowingly/without proof of prior knowledge? Seems unlikely but I'm genuinely curious.

13 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

Edit: Linus oldest son is actually 11, not 7.

Your argument would be true if his children were older, from what i learned when watching the LTX 2023 wan show, Linus' oldest son is 11 years old, he very likely is not mature enough to be able to properly process that and draw his own actual conclusions. Also the reason he asks that his kids are respectful is so they wont disrespect you. Someone in my family put up with their child being disrespectful to them, im not going to say who it is, but now the child is so disrespectful that its actually beyond just a manners problem and treats others not just their parents like garbage, like they are beholden to him. Linus' oldest son is roughly the same than this individual, but this disrespect was a thing long ago, ive witnessed some of it firsthand.

20 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

However, if he’s so adamant about standing behind your own data, and that variations in opinions are good, why is he tip-toeing around Linus at all? I would now say pick a lane, but evidently he has.

Tiptoeing, being careful how to present his data and word his critique against LTT or products highly endorsed by LTT.

If Steve was anywhere, before this, to go "LTT is completely wrong", there would have been huge backslash from the LTT fanboys, the biggest tech channel that mainly goes for the entertainment and so caters less media literate people who have hard time understanding that their messiah/idol/bro Linus would lie to them.

Like you remember when the today sports drink seller and boxer cracked jokes about people who had ended their lives while walking around a forest where many people go to end their lives?

Before the main media started to call him asshole for it, a lot of his fans went completely frenzy against YT channels and people calling that guy an asshole and demanding shift response from YouTube. That's how, kind of, "retarded" people can be and why GN has needed to word his critique carefully. Like there is probably a ton of people right now writing how "evil" and "wrong" GN is for publishing that video and we can probably see from socialblade or somewhere how many of those people are unsubbing GN for calling Linus out. Like this forum taking mainly the more mature stand and even joining calling Linus out isn't something exceptional, but go and look at Twitter and YT and you can find those who are calling GN out for dirtying LTT.

For the most part, Steve kinda points out something I've seen myself watching the videos and a disconnect between what's said and what's being done. They say they want more accuracy, but I've noticed inaccuracies and corrections in pretty much every video, sometimes it's pretty bad.

It doesn't really matter when it happens on one of those lighthearted filler videos about watercooling a PC with a car or silly tech gadgets from Ali Express, but the actual reviews of legitimate products being done in Labs NEED to be combed over for inaccuracies and NEEDS to be retested when ones are found. Otherwise what's the point of building Labs in the first place?

And the Billet Labs thing is just unacceptable across the board, I don't care where the money went, they quite possibly the company before it even had a chance. And that "I didn't want to spend $500 to get accurate data" response always sat wrong with me.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Disclaimer: I have yet to watch the video as I am at work yet and am in no way defending Linus.

As someone who has a significant ownership of the business I work at, I consider the money that I invested to be my personal money and act accordingly. I work at my business, just because the stocks are not cash in my bank account it's still mine. Same goes for all the different investments I have. I don't consider it money spent and gone.

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

3 minutes ago, Lyre said:

You should watch the whole video

I love how they stated they watched 5 mins only to then go on prove all of Steve's points perfectly....

spacer.png

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I will purposely wait for LMG's disclaimer, in regards to the prototype mishap. As always, there are 2 sides to every story, to say the least. What I will say, is that I am fairly certain that Billet Labs, would have already taken legal action, especially that a prototype of a great magnitude for the company, is in discussion. And no, I don't think that anyone from LMG, would be so daft to sanction a sale/auction that was illegal. Immoral, who knows... Illegal, most probably not. Like every company out there, LMG doesn't have any friends. Their sole purpose is to expand and to make more money. Who thinks otherwise, is definitely mistaken. The only aspect if what they are doing is legal or not. Sadly, morals/ethics do not matter, as long as the company can not be held accountable because they did not break any laws. 

2 minutes ago, Troutofdoom said:

Remember like...3 days ago when Linus complained about a prototype backpack showing up a thrift store?