AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D - Micro Center Exclusive

MageTank

Had to do a double-take on this one. Looks like there is a new 5000 series processor launching and oddly enough, it's Micro Center exclusive. I saw the leaks about this one, but this seems to confirm it:

Exclusive to Micro Center, gamers can now access a limited-edition processor for an unparalleled gaming journey, combining exceptional performance and remarkable affordability.

"At Micro Center, we are thrilled to partner with AMD and introduce the limited-edition AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D processor to our valued customers," said Warren Beneson, Chief Merchandising Officer at Micro Center. "We are committed to delivering exceptional value to gamers, and the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D processor embodies that commitment. It offers an unparalleled gaming experience at an unbeatable price point. With this exclusive offering, gamers can push the boundaries of performance and elevate their gaming endeavors to new heights. We are thrilled to bring this extraordinary opportunity to our valued customers." 

My thoughts

I originally saw the processor listed on the Micro Center store page (was looking for something to throw in a new ITX build). My favorite spec from the processor has to be this one:

image.png.b30d17179e0e3ce7334edfafd5bc2ed2.png

Very curious as to why AMD is launching this so late in the game. Would be quite an upgrade for anyone on Zen 1 or 2, that's for sure, but I imagine this would be cutting into their potential 7000 series sales, especially since you can find AM4 boards and DDR4 boards much cheaper than AM5/DDR5.

Sources

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/13402/micro-center-unveils-exclusive-launch-of-amd-ryzen-5-5600x3d-processor

https://www.microcenter.com/product/667765/amd-ryzen-5-5600x3d-vermeer-am4-33ghz-6-core-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

Also, been a long time since I did a tech news post. Whoever did the template, high five.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

"Contains corers"

This probably was not feasible to release back then as price would be likely higher than what made any sense and now they can release it for a lot less... considering how much the price of 5800X3D dropped. That will make for some really nice upgrade.

Not sure why make it a Micro Center exclusive... sucks a lot for many people.

I kind of want one, NGL, even though I have a 7800x3d lol

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Micro Center will also sell a $329 bundle with the six-core 12-thread Ryzen 5 56003XD, an ASUS B550-Plus TUF motherboard, and 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 memory.

That bundle price seems pretty decent. Actually works out cheaper than buying the 5600X (non3D) + B550-Plus TUF and Ripjaws 16GB despite the 5600X (non3D) being significantly cheaper.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sYLTJf

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($143.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $342.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-30 09:52 EDT-0400

But with the 5600X (non3D) being $145 and the 5800X (non3D) $190 I think $229 for the 5600X3D standalone might be a tough sell.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

According to Gamers Nexus the 5600X3D CPUs are defective 5800X3D CPUs that have been locked down. Apparently the 5600X3D is just a one off run to get rid of the limited quantity of bad 5800X3D chips AMD had.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Could be limited number those that didn't end up being 8c.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

AM4 limps along, for some reason.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

According to Gamers Nexus the 5600X3D CPUs are defective 5800X3D CPUs that have been locked down. Apparently the 5600X3D is just a one off run to get rid of the limited quantity of bad 5800X3D chips AMD had.

This is pretty standard. IIRC in early intel core generations some i5s were just i7s that had bad cores that were disabled.

4 minutes ago, Anfros said:

This is pretty standard. IIRC in early intel core generations some i5s were just i7s that had bad cores that were disabled.

Yeah, that's pretty standard and both AMD and Intel do it. They usually plan the product stack well in advance though. What's unusual about this is that this is so late in the product cycle and in such limited quantities that it seems like AMD didn't originally intend to have a 5600X3D CPU. Either their 5800X3D yields were better than they expected so they cancelled whatever plans they had for the 5600X3D earlier in 5800X3D production cycle or they never expected to have a 5600X3D but their yields were lower than they expected so they ended up with more chips than they initially expected that couldn't pass validation.

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yeah, that's pretty standard and both AMD and Intel do it. They usually plan the product stack well in advance though. What's unusual about this is that this is so late in the product cycle and in such limited quantities that it seems like AMD didn't originally intend to have a 5600X3D CPU. Either their 5800X3D yields were better than they expected so they cancelled whatever plans they had for the 5600X3D earlier in 5800X3D production cycle or they never expected to have a 5600X3D but their yields were lower than they expected so they ended up with more chips than they initially expected that couldn't pass validation.

I think AMD did plan on a 5600x3d, but had better yields than expected on the 5800x3d.

Remember back at the AM5 announcement they had even said AM4 wasn't done yet.

https://www.neowin.net/news/computex-2022-amd-ceo-lisa-su-confirms-socket-am4-is-far-from-dead-yet/

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

limited limited edition, very limited at micro center for micro limited deals now! Get it, before its too limited!

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

"Contains corers"

This probably was not feasible to release back then as price would be likely higher than what made any sense and now they can release it for a lot less... considering how much the price of 5800X3D dropped. That will make for some really nice upgrade.

Not sure why make it a Micro Center exclusive... sucks a lot for many people.

Probably also just a huge stockpile of failed 5800X3D that work as 5600X3D also. Feels like a lemonade situation.

Edit:

oh, haha should read the thread first.

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

limited limited edition, very limited at micro center for micro limited deals now! Get it, before its too limited!

but act before the limitation is limited again!!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

With how limited these limited limits are, I want to buy one and delid it, but if I kill it, someone somewhere in the world is gonna yell at me.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

With how limited these limited limits are, I want to buy one and delid it, but if I kill it, someone somewhere in the world is gonna yell at me.

Pretty pointless to delid these, there just isnt performance to be gained from that. AM4 CPU's didnt have issues with thermals because of the IHS and TIM, AM5 Does because of the thickness and the location of the CCD's. Thus there is 0 point in doing so.

Surprised they launched this product, but hey support is support and they at least did something with the failed cpus.

14 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Pretty pointless to delid these, there just isnt performance to be gained from that. AM4 CPU's didnt have issues with thermals because of the IHS and TIM, AM5 Does because of the thickness and the location of the CCD's. Thus there is 0 point in doing so.

Surprised they launched this product, but hey support is support and they at least did something with the failed cpus.

the point of delidding is always for enthusiast fun. 

11 minutes ago, starsmine said:

the point of delidding is always for enthusiast fun. 

No not really. Its done for a reason, often times because the TIM that was used wasnt the best because Intel used crap for years before swapping back, or other issues. You dont Delid For fun as the risk for damage is too great just for shits and giggles. Its known AM4 does not benefit from delidding. Do it with other cpus that actually benefit from it for fun 😛 Dont make dumb decisions because you can with things that have 0 benefit. 

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

No not really. Its done for a reason, often times because the TIM that was used wasnt the best because Intel used crap for years before swapping back, or other issues. You dont Delid For fun as the risk for damage is too great just for shits and giggles. Its known AM4 does not benefit from delidding. Do it with other cpus that actually benefit from it for fun 😛 Dont make dumb decisions because you can with things that have 0 benefit. 

The reason is for the fun of the enthusiast, How you justify it is on you. 

Like there is no reason to overclock Celeron to over 6ghz, but it is done anyways.

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

but act before the limitation is limited again!!

The more you buy, the more you save

8 hours ago, MageTank said:

If you break it you can make a limited key chain edition

What's next? The eBay exclusive Ryzen 9 5950X3D?

We knew there's at least one somewhere in an AMD lab...

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

On 6/30/2023 at 5:36 PM, Shimejii said:

Oh, I wasn't gonna delid for performance. I just genuinely want to see the CCD configuration to confirm these match a 5800X3D. Nobody else is dumb enough to delid a limited edition processor, so someone has to do it.

On 7/1/2023 at 12:29 AM, WereCat said:

If you break it you can make a limited key chain edition

I am about 99% confident I'll break it. My last Ryzen delid didn't go so well, lol.

6 hours ago, MageTank said:

Oh, I wasn't gonna delid for performance. I just genuinely want to see the CCD configuration to confirm these match a 5800X3D. Nobody else is dumb enough to delid a limited edition processor, so someone has to do it.

I am about 99% confident I'll break it. My last Ryzen delid didn't go so well, lol.

Just dont. Its just recycled defective 5800x3D, you arent gaining any new knowledge about them. Derbaur may delid it, but again we know exactly what they are so what exactly is the point? Its quite transparent what they are lol

Just now, Shimejii said:

Just dont. Its just recycled defective 5800x3D, you arent gaining any new knowledge about them. Derbaur may delid it, but again we know exactly what they are so what exactly is the point? Its quite transparent what they are lol

You ain't my dad. I am gonna delid two now just because.