AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D - Micro Center Exclusive

MageTank

@ShimejiiI did in fact learn something from delidding this processor. Too much heat = bad time.

image.thumb.png.2f17caf1e64d32547a6c4ef6354b7fd1.png

image.thumb.png.687c78644cca60a338ea5d5a1fa5d05b.png

I did manage to get some testing done before I did the deed. Very impressed with it, would make a good ITX chip for sure. I didn't see a "limit 1 per customer" thing on the website so... brb.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

@ShimejiiI did in fact learn something from delidding this processor. Too much heat = bad time.

image.thumb.png.2f17caf1e64d32547a6c4ef6354b7fd1.png

image.thumb.png.687c78644cca60a338ea5d5a1fa5d05b.png

I did manage to get some testing done before I did the deed. Very impressed with it, would make a good ITX chip for sure. I didn't see a "limit 1 per customer" thing on the website so... brb.

How did you manage to fuck up the one thing you shouldnt have fucked up if you did it properly lol. did you not have a pin guard while delidding? Most of the change for damage is cracking die and such but it seemed to survive, but holy mangled pins.

4 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

How did you manage to fuck up the one thing you shouldnt have fucked up if you did it properly lol. did you not have a pin guard while delidding? Most of the change for damage is cracking die and such but it seemed to survive, but holy mangled pins.

Buddy, that was heat that made the pins fall off, the processor was completely suspended lol. The cheap heatgun we have doesn't have temperature control, it's simply a twisty nob that says "warm" and "hot". Used a thermal couple to measure surface temps to roughly 314F or 156C (melting point of indium) but it turns out that either the probe was inaccurate or the surface temp didn't reflect actual temp of the substrate. Pins started to fall off, en masse, lol.

I am quite experienced with delidding. I'd wager that I've delidded more processors than most people in this world, this is just the consequences of rushing for the sake of science. I'll still bask in its crispy glory any day of the week.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

Buddy, that was heat that made the pins fall off, the processor was completely suspended lol. The cheap heatgun we have doesn't have temperature control, it's simply a twisty nob that says "warm" and "hot". Used a thermal couple to measure surface temps to roughly 314F or 156C (melting point of indium) but it turns out that either the probe was inaccurate or the surface temp didn't reflect actual temp of the substrate. Pins started to fall off, en masse, lol.

I am quite experienced with delidding. I'd wager that I've delidded more processors than most people in this world, this is just the consequences of rushing for the sake of science. I'll still bask in its crispy glory any day of the week.

Oh you did the full on melt everything method lol, hindsight is hindsight. I have only done Delidding twice, so you would have much more experience with it. I did the heatgun being mounted at a certain height  with two pry tools at different sides and it usually took  a few minutes then it popped. since sneaking a sharp tool to cut the glue and stuff was a bit easier when its hot, then it pops off.

Other then that you could probably get the pins to go back on with enough effort, but that would be a lot of time lol

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Oh you did the full on melt everything method lol, hindsight is hindsight. I have only done Delidding twice, so you would have much more experience with it. I did the heatgun being mounted at a certain height  with two pry tools at different sides and it usually took  a few minutes then it popped. since sneaking a sharp tool to cut the glue and stuff was a bit easier when its hot, then it pops off.

Other then that you could probably get the pins to go back on with enough effort, but that would be a lot of time lol

I normally use a heating element or heating iron and sit the processor on top of it, but those tools are in my home lab, not my work lab, lol.

Ryzen in general is a little trickier to delid compared to Intel and it just isn't worth it thermally speaking. Having to use a thin razer to break the adhesion without scratching the substrate, making sure not to move the die too far to avoid SMDs and making sure it's warm enough to avoid cracking the die as you mentioned previously.

I know people that skip the heating step, but I've only had about an 80% success rate without heat, and (aside from this hilariously botched job) a near 100% success rate with some heat. Just don't use a cheap $20 heat gun and handheld thermocouples lol.

As for fixing the pins, I am strongly considering it. None of them are actually "bent", they are hanging freely. The solder pads still look very clean, I imagine if I heat the rest, completely remove them and find myself a jig to line up the pins, I could probably fix this.

3 hours ago, MageTank said:

Always worth a second try 😉

I was keeping up with this thread at work today, gave me a few good laughs. Thank you for your sacrifice @MageTank

Consider listening to any music from Love Live! You'll enjoy it.

Browsing too much and not posting enough. Feel free to PM!

Just picked one of these up with the motherboard, RAM combo to upgrade my x99 system. Definitely curious to see more from @MageTank 

When I picked it up the store was pretty empty, I don't even think I was there for more than 5min and last I checked they still have 25+ in stock here at the Denver location 

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City