BOINC Pentathlon 2023

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

So here are the winners of the LTTStore discount vouchers, these need to be entered during checkout: 

@Hyuumaru @QuantumSnow @texus @etv24 @OhBoy @blab blob @Lightwreather JfromN @Your_Stalker @UnauthorisedNoodle @miker07

The winners of the Stream giftcards are:

@Storm_007 @chaozbandit @Bruntosaurus

The Winner of the drawing from @Ithanul is:

@Cory74

To claim your prize you need to DM me here on the forum before 00:00 BST, May 30th, 2023, with a screengrab of your BOINCStats statistics showing you have points in the correct projects 

8 minutes ago, D. Price said:

What should I do to help out? Keep working on Yoyo for the bonus points or bunker for Primegrid?

Depends on what you have more firepower for. CPU - I would keep on YoYo for now and hopefully we can catch GPU users. GPU - I would get some primegrids rolling.

Check Out My F@H Stats HERE

Check Out My BOINC Stats HERE

18 minutes ago, D. Price said:

How are points calculated? Take a look at the team points for Yoyo. I am 13th but the person above me should be 3rd?? I've seen these weird points before for Folding@home projects. (also Michael and Leadeater DANG way to go!)

image.thumb.png.16139276b7a9c18ddf4c8e2f342a0201.png

the list is sorted by "Recent average credit" by default, you can click on the total credit to see it sorted by that instead if you want.

11 minutes ago, Findu said:

the list is sorted by "Recent average credit" by default, you can click on the total credit to see it sorted by that instead if you want.

facepalm-picard.gif

8 minutes ago, etv24 said:

Depends on what you have more firepower for. CPU - I would keep on YoYo for now and hopefully we can catch GPU users. GPU - I would get some primegrids rolling.

CPU- 5950x

GPU - 3080ti

Both are stupid-level water-cooled. Only have this computer. No compute servers (Yet). Not sure where I would be more powerful in.

2 minutes ago, D. Price said:

Not sure where I would be more powerful in

I would do Primegrid, if you have the cooling though you can absolutely do both. Just make sure on the primegrid settings page you don't have CPU selected (if you already have CPU units downloaded you might need to reset project to clear them out, and then run YOYO on remaining cores. If you need help @ me, I am more then happy to help.

So @etv24 I have already been doing both because why not but not been bunkering Primegrid so Yoyo will still upload/download WUs. Below is what I have done so far. I made sure that Primegrid is only using GPU.

image.png.836e2a3b0bd0917d70905d15a9a1a23c.png

I tried some methods, involving firewalls and my router, to keep PrimeGrid from uploading but I need their IP Address. For the life of me, I can not find it. They block pings and nslookup.

image.png.1eb2cf95e2729448b11983640f094a82.png

I even did a domain lookup on them but the only IP Address I can find is:

primegrid.com

A records - IPv4 address:    185.193.25.77

AAAA records -  IPv6 address:    2a01:41a0::9a

I can ping it but when I try and connect to it through a browser, it should just bring me to primegrid.com. Instead it cant connect.

Not sure what to do here to Bunker PrimeGrid while running yoyo for the extra points.

4 minutes ago, D. Price said:

Not sure what to do here to Bunker PrimeGrid while running yoyo for the extra points.

For right now I would just run em! Event starts here in just like 2 hours... Usually I set my YoYo to download 4 days of work and then disable all communication through the BOINC client. (activity -> suspend network activity).

Blocking the IP address is a really interesting thought though for bunkering! Something we should absolutely see if we can make work. @GOTSpectrum @leadeater

7 minutes ago, etv24 said:

Blocking the IP address is a really interesting thought though for bunkering! Something we should absolutely see if we can make work. @GOTSpectrum @leadeater

It does, just edit host file and the project won't be able to upload

6 minutes ago, etv24 said:

For right now I would just run em! Event starts here in just like 2 hours... Usually I set my YoYo to download 4 days of work and then disable all communication through the BOINC client. (activity -> suspend network activity).

The idea came from Tony Coleman's youtube channel. He has a 4 part series on how to set up BOINC. In total, it's about a 30 min watch. He doesn't have the greatest quality but has some good info.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

It does, just edit host file and the project won't be able to upload

I tried that and PrimeGrid was still uploading...

1 minute ago, D. Price said:

I tried that and PrimeGrid was still uploading...

To be clear I tried adding:
127.0.0.1 www.primegrid.com

and it was still uploading. Not sure If I am doing it right for the host file.

1 minute ago, D. Price said:

To be clear I tried adding:
127.0.0.1 www.primegrid.com

and it was still uploading. Not sure If I am doing it right for the host file.

You need the actual project dns/hostname. Go to add a new project in the boinc client and look at the project url and use that address in your host file

17 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

We just can't compete on raw CPU, I'm blaming @leadeater. Anyway, let's hope the folding team comes through and we can throw our weight around 

I'm hoping I can get a few more of my CPU spun up.  Though....maybe I can manage the heat.  So far the beginning of this year been mild for the heat here in Florida nutland.  Still doing a number on me garden plants though.  I really need to setup a watering system.  My bell pepper loves to be a drama queen in the heat.

Anyway, since I'm back from drill, 3080Ti crank up and crunching PrimeGrid.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Did some say "if you have the cooling you can do both"?  One of the few times I get to use 18 cores @ 4.3GHz, 128 GB of memory, and a 2080Ti @ 2070MHz.  All on liquid!

Sad part is a more modern air cooled system would stomp on it, but such is life in the computing world...

image.thumb.jpeg.40ee5f2c0871e00516f4f0cd82f26b09.jpeg

4 minutes ago, n0xlf said:

Did some say "if you have the cooling you can do both"?  One of the few times I get to use 18 cores @ 4.3GHz, 128 GB of memory, and a 2080Ti @ 2070MHz.  All on liquid!

Sad part is a more modern air cooled system would stomp on it, but such is life in the computing world...

Dead Sexy GIFs | Tenor

motion navy GIF

Way to go everyone who is helping with YOYO.

Daily outputs have gone from 1.8M -> 2.1M -> 6.1M! We really cooked today!

(Even before the bonus (green) we generated some heat!)

image.thumb.png.7a8b35e6ce3e23c3db423abb105e5f96.png

Me, I just yolo with big air coolers.  

Heat ya say?

Used to live in Florida and this so true, reason why I left. | Funny meme  pictures, Florida funny, Funny memes

Now to see how bad it gets with the 3080Ti running its butt off.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

You need the actual project dns/hostname. Go to add a new project in the boinc client and look at the project url and use that address in your host file

Tried that. Doesnt work which is weird to me.

Very nice.

image.thumb.png.171b2240b03fae433f4fe58663ee0da2.png

Looks like I had about 640k bunkered for srbase. Way more than what I was expecting based on the limited release I did for throw 1 with expiring work units. I might start bunkering early for throw 3 depending on how our position is doing.

We got past GPU users group in Obstacle run!! Great work everyone!

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

34 minutes ago, n0xlf said:

O ya. You think you're so cool with you awesome pretty looking water cooling!!

I present to you a semi-ugly, I am not hard-lining, sorta rainbow puke / sorta based on temp rgb, duel sided water cooled gpu, mono-block, 4 radiators (2x- 360- 55mm / 1x- 360x30mm / 1x- 120x30mm), 16 fan machine!

This bad boy will go 0-60 instantly while staying at a cool 70ish C on both cpu and gpu under heavy loads.

(Help my small apartment is getting really hot)
Also before anyone asks Why? My answer is try and buy a house in this market or super water cool my machine. We all know what we choose here.

PXL_20230508_010310966.jpg

Edited by D. Price

I didn't bunker hardly anything for SRBase... Are there work units I can select that are faster then others? Looking like they are going to take 12ish hours so I'll likely only get this one chunk of them out.

2 hours ago, n0xlf said:

Ah I see you choose ram water cooling too, nice. Useless and annoying but still nice. Removed mine when I had ram channel dropping issue and not put it back, 3 years later lol