BOINC Pentathlon 2023

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

So here are the winners of the LTTStore discount vouchers, these need to be entered during checkout: 

@Hyuumaru @QuantumSnow @texus @etv24 @OhBoy @blab blob @Lightwreather JfromN @Your_Stalker @UnauthorisedNoodle @miker07

The winners of the Stream giftcards are:

@Storm_007 @chaozbandit @Bruntosaurus

The Winner of the drawing from @Ithanul is:

@Cory74

To claim your prize you need to DM me here on the forum before 00:00 BST, May 30th, 2023, with a screengrab of your BOINCStats statistics showing you have points in the correct projects 

6 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Looking at the rankings on city-run we could cause an upset with a little more GPU power.

so here's a reminder for you all to push those GPUs to PrimeGrid, whatever you have we will take it. I have been told Apple Silicon supports primegrid on the GPUs so if you have AS get it crunching. 

Still need to get a lot more of our folders to move over heh, so much potential.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Questions:

• Are we happy with getting 4th-6th for the Javelin event?
  • Are we then also happy being that our counted score is likely to be around the current 1-1.2mil mark
  • If not what do we want to aim for? If 2mil or more then today's effort is basically moot and should save for next throw
  • This means the next 3 throws we must hit out target each time, no more and no less (exact as possible)
  • Would we rather focus on the Obstacle Run?

I can sort out some extra resources today maybe but really we need to look at Jav and accept what we did today and do that 2 more times or aim to do MUCH better which has the risk of not being able to do it and be wasted effort that would have gone to Obstacle Run

Yeah I'm bunkering jav, with that said, I think yoyo we are doing well, and we should at least try to maintain that. 

Will reach out to some of the folders and try to gain some more power for prime 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Questions:

• Are we happy with getting 4th-6th for the Javelin event?
  • Are we then also happy being that our counted score is likely to be around the current 1-1.2mil mark
  • If not what do we want to aim for? If 2mil or more then today's effort is basically moot and should save for next throw
  • This means the next 3 throws we must hit out target each time, no more and no less (exact as possible)
  • Would we rather focus on the Obstacle Run?

I can sort out some extra resources today maybe but really we need to look at Jav and accept what we did today and do that 2 more times or aim to do MUCH better which has the risk of not being able to do it and be wasted effort that would have gone to Obstacle Run

I think today's throw has to be our end target. With 3&4 back to back, I think we need to choose 1 of those, and then the final throw on the 5th attempt. I'm leaning towrads 4&5, but the other 2 disciplines could create issues. We still have 2 more disciplines that could happen during the 5th, but with 3&4 back to back, I don't see us being able to beat today's number consitently.

11 minutes ago, miker07 said:

I think today's throw has to be our end target. With 3&4 back to back, I think we need to choose 1 of those, and then the final throw on the 5th attempt. I'm leaning towrads 4&5, but the other 2 disciplines could create issues. We still have 2 more disciplines that could happen during the 5th, but with 3&4 back to back, I don't see us being able to beat today's number consitently.

I have "ways" to add a lot more CPU resource but my worry is mostly around how permanent I can do so, which actually makes it quite good for Jav. I just don't want to waste it heh.

Basically I can add about 60%-80% worth of 6x Dual EPYC 7443 servers, 5-6 dual Xeon 2690v3 100% dedicated, 4-5 dual Xeon 2667 100% dedicated

Actually looking at the points better 1-1.5mil will land us below 6th in Jav

@leadeater @GOTSpectrum - With how long the SRBase units take I would rather take the L on that event. Hold the score we have now, and concentrate on what we know we have the firepower for which is GPU. 

Overall Ranking aside I like the idea of 5th or 6th in YO-YO and 3-4 for Primegrid. Plus whatever these next two events throw at us. 

Looking at YO-YO if we can get a little more base load of people who want to set and forget I think we could really show progress. Hell last hour we had 4X the output of SETI.Germany. 

I can put together a post tonight for from zero BOINC experience to setup for YO-YO we could share? 

//an opinion\\
-Etv24

Check Out My F@H Stats HERE

Check Out My BOINC Stats HERE

Just now, etv24 said:

@leadeater @GOTSpectrum - With how long the SRBase units take I would rather take the L on that event. Hold the score we have now, and concentrate on what we know we have the firepower for which is GPU. 

Overall Ranking aside I like the idea of 5th or 6th in YO-YO and 3-4 for Primegrid. Plus whatever these next two events throw at us. 

Looking at YO-YO if we can get a little more base load of people who want to set and forget I think we could really show progress. Hell last hour we had 4X the output of SETI.Germany. 

I can put together a post tonight for from zero BOINC experience to setup for YO-YO we could share? 

//an opinion\\
-Etv24

Do it, I will reach out to my LMG contact and see if they have any suggestions to increase engagement 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Anyone else not getting SR WUs? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I've also reached out to @jakkuh_t to see of any of the old servers couple be brought into commission for the event 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

With Primegrid, should some bunkers be kept in reserve as a late surge, or just release them all at this point? I only released enough to avoid setting up anymore Boinc instances, but my pending and in progress qty's keep growing, so maybe holding on to them won't effect things. Judging by the pending, probably a lot of unreleased bunkers out there from other teams as well.

11 minutes ago, miker07 said:

With Primegrid, should some bunkers be kept in reserve as a late surge, or just release them all at this point? I only released enough to avoid setting up anymore Boinc instances, but my pending and in progress qty's keep growing, so maybe holding on to them won't effect things. Judging by the pending, probably a lot of unreleased bunkers out there from other teams as well.

I'm bunkering, but you do what you think is best, I would not leave it too late just in case 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

This laptop can't put more power into this... not enough cooling it seems... unfortunately I can only run this 14H a day 😞 the rest is work time....

image.thumb.png.1ecb83af53a05f9de5ee9d8553db2929.png

2 hours ago, etv24 said:

Kinda wish I put my VMs overnight on yoyo now lol, oh well. Yea seems doing a lot better in Jav is too hard an ask right now.

So who has gamer friends? Tell them about the event! We need those sweet sweet gaming rigs! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

After running PG on the M1 GPU, it seems pretty decent. It can chew through a task in about 1-2 hrs on the base model (on battery power saver, I might add, I was at a full charge, didn't want to wreck it) mba (so 7 gpu cores), however, unlike utilising the CPU, it does not heat the mba at all (on battery, it does heat up a bit on charger)

So, if anyone has the M1 Pro/Max/Ultra, it should perform much better.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Just signed up for the week after watching the WAN show, normally run F@H. Have set primegrid, is there anything else to do. Didn't get asked for a username but have joined the team so hopefully my stats will count 

3 hours ago, etv24 said:

Total noob to all of this but I did throw my home lab at YO-YO last night to bump up our base load- so far, it looks like LostMyTaco is pulling 4th place for # of points today 🙂 
I'll let the home lab cook on YO-YO most of the time, unless my compute is needed elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, ColinJ451 said:

Just signed up for the week after watching the WAN show, normally run F@H. Have set primegrid, is there anything else to do. Didn't get asked for a username but have joined the team so hopefully my stats will count 

YoYo running on the CPU would be nice too if you can manage it 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Let's see if the Czechs have more in the tank this time we pass them 

image.thumb.png.121c79912dca85927483b86dc4d47b4a.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Moooore, need more powerrr

image.thumb.png.eb3af822f05b1b47dc40adbe64dd39b7.png

More GIFs | Tenor

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Can PrimeGrid run on an Intel Iris gpu? I didnt see it in the gpu selection for the project.

Would it even be worth it?