BOINC Pentathlon 2023

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

So here are the winners of the LTTStore discount vouchers, these need to be entered during checkout: 

@Hyuumaru @QuantumSnow @texus @etv24 @OhBoy @blab blob @Lightwreather JfromN @Your_Stalker @UnauthorisedNoodle @miker07

The winners of the Stream giftcards are:

@Storm_007 @chaozbandit @Bruntosaurus

The Winner of the drawing from @Ithanul is:

@Cory74

To claim your prize you need to DM me here on the forum before 00:00 BST, May 30th, 2023, with a screengrab of your BOINCStats statistics showing you have points in the correct projects 

p2-ram.thumb.png.73cd7a828dc1d4ae9ea79c57ce7fa175.png

Nice to see my ram being used! Is it the P2 units that are ram heavy? Think it was mentioned before.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

p2-ram.thumb.png.73cd7a828dc1d4ae9ea79c57ce7fa175.png

Nice to see my ram being used! Is it the P2 units that are ram heavy? Think it was mentioned before.

yep, thats p2 for you 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, porina said:

Yep, they are murder for my two higher core count low memory servers lol. Was going fine until yoyo servers died and broke my clients so had to remove and re-add the project. Got almost all P2 projects and it got so ram starved the OS hard reset haha. After a while it sorts itself out though. What a pain, think I lost quite a lot of points plus down time, on a bonus day grrr.

2 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

right can I get a tally? who is doing what?

I'm running YoYo and PG at the moment but was going to spin up SRBase later on.

2 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

5 CPUs on YoYo

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Ideas on why Prime has decided to not use my GPU at all and instead is eating up all the CPU on multiple items?

2 minutes ago, Captainmarino said:

Ideas on why Prime has decided to not use my GPU at all and instead is eating up all the CPU on multiple items?

Did you set the right project and also told it to use/not use CPU and GPU? The subproject doesn't run badly on CPU so can still be worth it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

Did you set the right project and also told it to use/not use CPU and GPU? The subproject doesn't run badly on CPU so can still be worth it.

You know, I may have errantly checked off CPU? SMH

1 hour ago, Brave Waffle said:

First time doing this. Got a question. I seem to have done some WU's already but i cant find myself in LinusTechTips_Team. How long does it take for me to show up?

I would say don't worry about it as long as you've chosen the team in your profile page, check back a couple of days later if you want - I didn't even know that page existed until now!

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

Boy! Those P2 items really DO eat up the memory! And those P1s really eat up the time. Decided to push P2s only so I could get more of them done. The P1s were taking around 11-12h each while the P2 take 1-3h.

6 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Yoyo on 4vCPU

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Just a tip for those bunkering PrimeGrid and not being able to get enough tasks downloaded.

You can edit the <duration_correction_factor> for each project within client_state.xml which is found (on windows 11 default install anyway) at C:\ProgramData\BOINC

I had a default value of ~.9 which gave day long estimated times despite the <5min runtime. I reduced it to 0.01 which let me get a good amount of tasks downloaded

I am having issues with yoyo@home reporting. Seems like it stopped reporting tasks at some point last night and I can't figure out why.

image.thumb.png.a12ef5708ff390ec156b15efd4c90dae.png

Computing Preferences:

image.png.569be728636d35761aa04a2aad0b2cfe.png

Network Preferences:

image.png.033af2c386196d0c540f0314a4d96f97.png

24 minutes ago, gmshipo said:

I am having issues with yoyo@home reporting. Seems like it stopped reporting tasks at some point last night and I can't figure out why.

Go to 'C:\ProgramData\BOINC' and edit 'cc_config.xml'. Make it look like below

<!--
This is a minimal configuration file cc_config.xml of the BOINC core client.
For a complete list of all available options and logging flags and their
meaning see: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/client_configuration
-->
<cc_config>
  <log_flags>
    <task>1</task>
    <file_xfer>1</file_xfer>
    <sched_ops>1</sched_ops>
  </log_flags>
  <options>
    <max_tasks_reported>1</max_tasks_reported>
  </options>
</cc_config>

Then reload the config by doing

image.png.e578f5290f9d72c9cce8ab71068463e4.png

After this select the yoyo project in the list and click update. Monitor the log file which can be found under the Tools menu and 'Event log..'

Keep clicking update and watching the log and the 'Ready to report' tasks reducing. Once the tasks stop reducing and you only get errors in the log remove the yoyo@home project and re-add it.

There was a problem with their servers over night and project tasks got reported but not fully and stayed in your BOINC client and now get rejected due to being already reported but they don't get removed. I had the same problem and that's how I got around it.

Change the cc_config.xml back to original or change the value from 1 to 1000 for 'max_tasks_reported'.

32 minutes ago, n0xlf said:

I threw 82C at this..My 9980XE are all at 4.3GHz so it's doing pretty good.

image.png.5cbe70d8752a7c3636fcf172d9e6835f.png

I'm planning a 22 core upgrade for my x99 board, currently running a 5960x 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

can anyone switch over to SRBase for tomorrows throw?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'm all setup on 3 computers and I'm trying to get this working on my old cellphone (Samsung S9) I downloaded the app and got the projects signed up but I'm not getting any WUs. is this just not appropriate for a phone?

Can I crunch on this /s

9821b9a3-af88-4d68-ba49-696157afb11a.jpg

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

So I take it were going to try and throw for this second javelin?

Check Out My F@H Stats HERE

Check Out My BOINC Stats HERE

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

<!--
-->
<cc_config>
  <log_flags>
    <task>1</task>
    <file_xfer>1</file_xfer>
    <sched_ops>1</sched_ops>
  </log_flags>
  <options>
  </options>
</cc_config>

After this select the yoyo project in the list and click update. Monitor the log file which can be found under the Tools menu and 'Event log..'

Keep clicking update and watching the log and the 'Ready to report' tasks reducing. Once the tasks stop reducing and you only get errors in the log remove the yoyo@home project and re-add it.

There was a problem with their servers over night and project tasks got reported but not fully and stayed in your BOINC client and now get rejected due to being already reported but they don't get removed. I had the same problem and that's how I got around it.

Change the cc_config.xml back to original or change the value from 1 to 1000 for 'max_tasks_reported'.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

<!--
-->
<cc_config>
  <log_flags>
    <task>1</task>
    <file_xfer>1</file_xfer>
    <sched_ops>1</sched_ops>
  </log_flags>
  <options>
  </options>
</cc_config>

This solution worked perfectly. For anyone else with this issue first make sure you ProgramData directory isn't hidden and know you might need to create the cc_config.xml file.

How are points calculated? Take a look at the team points for Yoyo. I am 13th but the person above me should be 3rd?? I've seen these weird points before for Folding@home projects. (also Michael and Leadeater DANG way to go!)

image.thumb.png.16139276b7a9c18ddf4c8e2f342a0201.png

Separate question. What should I do to help out? Keep working on Yoyo for the bonus points or bunker for Primegrid?