For those of you who have parts laying about unused...

Radium_Angel

How much more money would it take to complete a full system from your spare parts? (Monitor, mouse and keyboard aside)

I was rummaging around my spare parts bin and realized I am a motherboard and case away from another full system build. Not that I need another system, I have far too many as it stands, but a 50$ x99 2011-3 mobo, and a 30$ used case and poof! New system.

How about you guys?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

How much more money would it take to complete a full system from your spare parts? (Monitor, mouse and keyboard aside)

I was rummaging around my spare parts bin and realized I am a motherboard and case away from another full system build. Not that I need another system, I have far too many as it stands, but a 50$ x99 2011-3 mobo, and a 30$ used case and poof! New system.

How about you guys?

I have one extra case fan, thats it.  I sell all my used parts asap after upgrading to get as much money back as possible.

Well I got a spare R3 3100, GTX970 and a really nice overclocking pair of 8G dimms. I kind of wanted to build an ITX system that I could sneak into company server cabinet as an offsite backup but fucks sake ITX tax is still insane.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

About $165.  I have a Ryzen 5 2600, a GTX 1050ti and my spare 650w Evga PSU around.  Even more parts, but they've been distributed to other PCs in the house as I've upgraded my system and are in use daily.

This is ignoring the multitude of old RAM and CPUs I have in some boxes.. lol

I only have a R9 3900X on hand so I would have to get a whole system. I usually sell old parts when I get something new to cover the cost a bit, I'm trying to do the same with 3900X but nobody except scammers react to my listing so I'm kind of considering just to give up and replace the old R3 1200 in my dads PC, not that he will notice any difference though.

I'm a power supply and SSD away from being able to run a second PC.

If I did run a second PC, it'd likely be because I bought that Commodore 64 mint in box I saw on Craigslist. My gosh, that's tempting...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I could build numerous computers for $0. Considering I repair, sell, and scrap computers from ewaste, I have tons of spare parts laying around. Heck, I've got two desk drawers full to the brim of hard drives and SSDs. Could build a full custom system from 486 to Ryzen in 30 mins, and I could stick some ram in an old prebuilt ProDesk or ThinkCentre or Optiplex and have a fully functioning systme.

I’m a power supply away from far too many computers. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I sold most of my stuff when I moved house end of last year but I have quite some random bits left over. I think I'd only need a mobo and cooler to build a system. However I'd have no need for that system.

The problem is the two CPUs I have are i3 7300k and E5 2683 v3 ES. The first is a dual core Skylake. It might only be good if I want to try and set dual core overclocking records, which is the reason I got it in the first place. The other is kinda worthless now, unless you need ECC ram maybe? 14 core low clock Haswell. You could probably beat it with a modern 6 core.

I know I have a micro-ATX case, assorted PSUs with the best one being high tier 850W. A variety of DDR4 ram around 3200 mark. Various GPUs, best could be either 2070 or 1080 Ti depending on use case. Thinking more, I'm not sure they would fit in the case I mentioned, so I'd have to go older like a 1650 or 980 Ti. I got spare 2TB of SATA SSDs on my desk right now, pulled as I transition to NVMe.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm pretty sure I could get 5 systems setup instantly out of the spare parts I've got. Off the top of my head I've got 5 motherboards spare, 6-7 PSUs (one might be dead, I need to check), 5 cases, 6 working GPUs, 7 different cases, 4 different SSDs, too many spare HDDs, 6 different CPU coolers, 7 total CPUs, and way too much RAM (I think it's 20+ sticks of DDR3, 4 sticks of DDR4, and 2 sticks of DDR5), and that's not counting the heap of dead hardware I've got as well. Pretty sure the only things missing would be the cost of screws (most of my cases are missing parts), so the cost would be the $10 for a kit of screws. 

I think I've got too much hardware. 

EDIT: I forgot about my working AM3+ gear. Make it 6 systems after the cost of another case. 

I got a FX-8350 and a GTX 970 that doesn't fit in the chassis. So would cost nothing apart from some metal work. Oh right it doesn't have a CPU cooler or hard drives but I got plenty of drives.

Honestly, I stopped doing this (hoarding parts). Usually when I upgrade my PC, I pass parts along, upgrade family members or friends PCs. Recently built a gaming PC for friend of my son for their family, all they had to do was buy a keyboard and monitor. Their just isn't a reason for me to hoard parts that I'm realistically never going to use. I'd rather see them go to use.  I donated a bunch of cases to the local electronics surplus store recently. When I asked if I could bring in donations, he said yeah, he would recycle whatever he couldn't use. I think he was surprised when I brought in a bunch of things like Meshfiy 2s, and Silverstone cases (actually useful stuff).

Don't get me wrong I keep a few things, but keeping tons of stuff just takes up unnecessary room. I've even started going through my car parts, and getting rid of stuff I'm never going to use again.

2 hours ago, Hinjima said:

I have one extra case fan, thats it.  I sell all my used parts asap after upgrading to get as much money back as possible.

Same

3 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Honestly, I stopped doing this (hoarding parts). Usually when I upgrade my PC, I pass parts along, upgrade family members or friends PCs.

This is usually how I do it, too.

Ihave a small collection consisting a few things I'm never going to get rid of, things to tinker with, some novelties, and of course my current rig. I like to send my old hardware to people I know will use it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I put a lot of my older (but good) parts to use building a work + light gaming computer for my mom just over a year ago. We put an EVGA 750 Ti SC and an old AIO water cooler in there, even though we were only using a Ryzen 3 1200 for the CPU. The AIO was a bit too beat up to sell but it worked just fine - better than having it sit in my closet. That computer is still going strong and does everything my mom wants to use it for.

I don't have many other spare parts laying around, at least nothing I could make a good computer out of. The Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, Nvidia 7300LE, and DDR2 RAM from my first desktop are still sitting in my tech drawer. Most of the stuff I have just laying around are microcontrollers since I work with them pretty often - ESP8266s, Arduinos, stuff like that.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I have currently  2x z270i motherboards, 6600k, 7600k, 2x Ncase M1 V5 cases (one black one silver) GTX 1070, RTX 2060 & a Noctua L9i cooler. All sitting here spare..

There's also a Ryzen 2600G, motherboard, ram & 2x M.2 SSD's waiting for a home. But I want to use those. Am thinking of getting an NFC Skyreach Mini 4 & getting a HDPLEX AC to DC PSU & going super tiny build for funsies as well.

I'm thinking of selling the 2 cases as a bundle with the CPUs & motherboards because that kind of makes sense.

The RTX2060, trying to find the right sandwhich style ITX case so I can just have a random decent portable 1080P system if I so wish. The 1070, may be dead sadly..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

As much as it costs to buy a new computer, all the parts. I don't have any unused parts.

Well, that is a lie, i think I have 2 fans, but nothing else.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I'm rather ashamed to admit I have 9 complete systems around my house

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm rather ashamed to admit I have 9 complete systems around my house

no shame at all...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I have some ddr4 I'm trying to sell on eBay and a Quadro gpu from 2006.

Uh....

If I sell the ram then an entire 2006 computer setup haha. 

Let me make a list (underlined in active use):

Main rig, Win95 rig and mostly WinXP rig (missing DVD drives) complete.

A laptop that would need a new power supply, another laptop that requires new battery and MacBook Air.

- WinXP rig (FX-8350, 8GB, GTX 770) that could use my old main rig case but would still require PSU and CPU cooler (NH-D15 for that garbage to make it tolerable 5Ghz easily, the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX MB has fucked up thermal sensoring but with Fan Control it will be fine)

- Basicly my backup rig (R7 1700X, 16GB, GTX 1070) from which GTX 1070 is still in my main rig with RTX 3060 because "reasons" that I don't know (mostly I am too lazy to take it out and it basicly does nothing except work as PhysX card), that does have the CPU cooler from my R7 3700X but would need a case and PSU.

In summary that would be 2 cases (depending what I can fit in my old Nexus Caterpillar -case), 2 PSUs and 1 CPU cooler away from having 5 desktop rigs ready to go. Everything as new is around 50-100€ so in total probably something like 300€ in total for all that. And both of them would need storage so something like 150€ for 2 SSDs ending up with 450€.

For my defense as they are nothing is worth selling, the couple belts I would get selling them aren't worth the time to make the listings and then start going through the contacts and whatever. Even less worth it to build them up and sell as whole because I would probably end up spending more to build up that WinXp rig than I would get from selling both of the WinXP rigs together. The backup rig would have some value still but probably it has more use value than sell value even if completed because I like the feeling that I have something I can quickly and cheaply whip together or at least have something to troubleshoot with.

Not much I guess, but all of the parts unused are very old and low-end so it would be good for basic browsing at most. I have two late 2000s GPUs, some cases, fans, coolers, PSUs. Few dying HDDs with broken sectors, so yeah, pretty much just need a motherboard, RAM and a processor but you wouldn't be doing anything but check your email with it.

Wouldn't be worth the hassle selling these for a couple of euros, my time is worth than what I would get from making the ads and meeting buyers etc, so it's all just sitting in the attic in case I would need a temporary hard drive or other spare parts.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

I only need a case and a quad channel memory kit to resurrect my X99 rig. So probably a couple hundred canadian pesos.

I could throw in a GTX 980 or 1080 along with a 5820k, my old intel SSD, and a corsair AX860I PSU. Corsair H80i cooler.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I can build one, doesn't mine I would like to use it though

CPU: i7 2700K

RAM: 2x8GB DDR3

Mobo: MSI Z77IA-E5

GPU: Asus ATi HD4870 1GB

SSD: OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB SATA2

HDD: Bunch of 1TB drives from various manufacturers

PSU: Seasonic 760W

I can add a case but, my main rig is caseless so... eh.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"