what would you ever do if bitcoin went negative price?

aqarwaen29

hypothetically what would you do,if bitcoin somwhow went negative price below 0 dollars.

it dosent matter why or how it happened.

do you think this would be bitcoin if that ever would happen actually.

It makes no real sense, I mean if ever a banknote had negative value you'll just dump it..

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

16 minutes ago, aqarwaen29 said:

hypothetically what would you do,if bitcoin somwhow went negative price below 0 dollars.

Can it even happen?

Asking about things that can't happen makes no sense, even hypothetically.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Can't really go negative, but could go down to pennies.

People would stop mining it and temporarily move to other coins, so no new coins being created means the demand for coins will increase and prices should go up a bit.

The mining difficulty will also decrease a lot, as it's tied directly to the amount of miners mining the coins, and you need new coins being mined to do transactions (a bunch of transactions are "attached" to the creation of each new coin and that gets stuck into the blockchain, making the transactions irreversible) 

If not enough people need it for trading or buying things, it will end up delisted from exchanges, the value will go to 0, and will no longer be used by people. 

Negative value was thought to be impossible until the 2020 pandemic.

US oil prices turn negative as demand dries up - BBC News

Causation was physical laws of storage, too much supply and not enough places where to store them.

If another negative value dip is to happen, it certainly won't be to crypto. Doubt there is a way to recreate a lack of storage to keep around a crypto currency + oil can be used to create further value as a resource. As for cypto, cryto itself can't be used to create further wealth, merely a token of value like currency itself.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

It can only go negative if its cost to keep running goes over the revenue it generates. Since its all digital bs and basically just a mathematical formula thats near impossible to happen.

FML if only housing prices went negative. Current prices are next-level stupid. -_____-;

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I would do nothing, it's nothing.  Crypto is dead.  It's going to take a long time before anyone jumps on that bandwagon again.

People still gonna hodl that crap until its worth .000000000000001 rupees. 

2 hours ago, aqarwaen29 said:

What would you do if USD went negative price?

6c5241e4c3b8f385e28c7076abd19b40.jpg

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, venomtail said:

Causation was physical laws of storage, too much supply and not enough places where to store them.

And that makes a pretty fundamental difference in this case. Since someone has to put the oil somewhere, the cost of holding becomes higher than the value of keeping and if that cost value ratio shrinks enough, it becomes more valuable to free up your ships or other resources than to hold it. 

Another key difference is that you cannot just really destroy the oil.

If these companies had the ability to snap their fingers and make that oil disappear they would do that before they would would pay for someone to take it.

Since the cost to hold/maintain bitcoin, especially on a cold wallet is effectively zero, a situation like that can't really happen. There is no reason to pay someone to take your bitcoin because there is no cost of upkeep or maintenance. and even if you really really really didn't want it anymore literally all you need to do to accomplish that is just forget your encryption keys, the bitcoin is effectively destroyed and the burden of 'storing' it is gone. there is no value at all in paying to give someone it.

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

What would you do if USD went negative price?

Even this is not the same scenario. Since dollar bills or coins could actually end up with a negative practical value.

In a hyper inflation scenario, lets say that over the course of a month, the value of USD to EUR went to 100,000USD = 1 EUR.

In this scenario a penny becomes a physical burden, there is no longer a practical use for it outside of its material value (the metal it is made of). There is however a burden of storage, just like the oil, you have to put it somewhere or process it.

If you were a bank, and you had a certain amount of physical space to store items. You would not want to fill that space with something worth nothing, and that does not generate value. The cost to maintain the space, pay rent, or whatever else, means a net loss.

So in that scenario you may consider selling the pennies to a company that can melt them down, or maybe a place in the middle of nowhere where that space is less valuable, that way you can fill the space with gold, larger denominations, or other items of value.

But if noone wants to buy them, you may consider paying a certain amount to get rid of them, so that way you can free that space up.

So you pay $1 million dollars for someone to take the pennies, but you fill that space back up with something that generates $1million and 1 dollars.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

If you would cost money to sell something, why would you sell it?  Same reason I'm not going to list something on Ebay if the fees and shipping cost more than what I can sell it for.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

That is impossible. You can't lose money by having bitcoin. Now, if you're mining bitcoin with really inefficient hardware, you could lose money doing so, but the actual value of a currency will not drop below 0.

1 minute ago, ewitte said:

If you would cost money to sell something, why would you sell it?  Same reason I'm not going to list something on Ebay if the fees and shipping cost more than what I can sell it for.

The same reason people pay for garbage collection.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

1 hour ago, Takumidesh said:

Even this is not the same scenario. Since dollar bills or coins could actually end up with a negative practical value.

In a hyper inflation scenario, lets say that over the course of a month, the value of USD to EUR went to 100,000USD = 1 EUR.

In this scenario a penny becomes a physical burden, there is no longer a practical use for it outside of its material value (the metal it is made of). There is however a burden of storage, just like the oil, you have to put it somewhere or process it.

If you were a bank, and you had a certain amount of physical space to store items. You would not want to fill that space with something worth nothing, and that does not generate value. The cost to maintain the space, pay rent, or whatever else, means a net loss.

So in that scenario you may consider selling the pennies to a company that can melt them down, or maybe a place in the middle of nowhere where that space is less valuable, that way you can fill the space with gold, larger denominations, or other items of value.

But if noone wants to buy them, you may consider paying a certain amount to get rid of them, so that way you can free that space up.

So you pay $1 million dollars for someone to take the pennies, but you fill that space back up with something that generates $1million and 1 dollars.

What is practical value?

2 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

What is practical value?

in a hyper inflation scenario like i described, a penny would still technically have a value as a currency. However, that value would be so extremely low that it would be impractical to store or use it, since you would need 10 million physical pennies to buy a stick of gum.

since the actual value of the penny becomes lower than value of the actual space it consumes, it has an effective negative value. basically it becomes a drain on the owner of the penny.

-> Moved to Off Topic

This subject is both theoretical and about finance, not tech.

If value of something is negative, it means seller is paying you to buy something they are selling. So when it's currency, doesn't really happen. Of physical items (example of oil prices), possible.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Well, I guess in the unlikely event that someone is going to pay me to take their bitcoin, I'd probably stop releasing ransomware.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

21 hours ago, venomtail said:

Doubt there is a way to recreate a lack of storage to keep around a crypto currency

well, digital storage has a cost and so does transfering btc, so if it's worth less than the storage space it occupies you might be willing to pay someone the transfer fee to get rid of it

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

laugh until the end of time and wonder why so many people were so deep into such a bullshit scam that is cryptocurrency.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

well, digital storage has a cost and so does transfering btc, so if it's worth less than the storage space it occupies you might be willing to pay someone the transfer fee to get rid of it

right, but there is no cost of disposal. e.g. with oil or something, it costs money to get rid of it. so the negative value is not really a traditional sale, its more of a disposal handling fee / short term storage fee (until the price recovers)

with crypto the cost to get rid of it is zero, you don't have to do anything. the worst case scenario is deleting a wallet.dat or forgetting encryption keys.

so even if the value goes to absolute zero, never to ever recover again. freeing up the resources is as easy hitting the delete key. it would be more work to pay someone and give them the crypto.

there is no case where paying someone to get rid of it is beneficial (outside of weird and specific criminal/laundering scenarios)

so there is really no reason to pay someone to 'take it off your hands' because the cost to do so yourself is 0.

26 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

right, but there is no cost of disposal. e.g. with oil or something, it costs money to get rid of it. so the negative value is not really a traditional sale, its more of a disposal handling fee / short term storage fee (until the price recovers)

If you really want to split hairs even deletion takes some time and energy as well as flash write cycles or hard disk wear 😛 although you wouldn't need to pay anyone to do it, you'd just take that loss yourself.

31 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

there is no case where paying someone to get rid of it is beneficial (outside of weird and specific criminal/laundering scenarios)

I guess maybe if you're an exchange holding customers' btc you wouldn't be allowed to just delete it? though at that point you obviously have bigger issues to worry about

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If you really want to split hairs even deletion takes some time and energy as well as flash write cycles or hard disk wear 😛 although you wouldn't need to pay anyone to do it, you'd just take that loss yourself.

I guess maybe if you're an exchange holding customers' btc you wouldn't be allowed to just delete it? though at that point you obviously have bigger issues to worry about

That is a good point. though in theory, the actual crypto doesn't really need anything. a cold wallet doesn't need to change for long term storage. But yea, the difference is that the cost is already incurred right, you already wrote the bytes, so no benefit to paying someone to delete it (since the bytes can just be naturally overwritten over time). and the process of deleting the keys makes it a non transferable event, so there is no way to 'fairly' offload the cost.

Though to get even deeper down the hole. There is no reason to have a wallet.dat at all. ALL YOU NEED is the private keys, there is no reason they cannot be stored in your head, which means you can effectively transfer all of your bitcoin to someone else with zero cost, by giving them your keys, no transaction fees or penalties or whatever, no wear and tear on a flash chip or hard disk. just the caloric expense of moving your vocal cords, I don't know how much cheaper something can get lol.

I think the exchange issue would only be a real problem with the conversions.

and even an exchange in that scenario, would be required to give it to the clients (because it isn't theirs to hold) and therefore isn't making a value transaction with the crypto (as in they aren't selling it) so the costs incurred to transfer it back to the client are somewhat isolated from the value of currency itself, its a separate business or legal cost to make the client whole.  similar to how you don't count the value of the check you are writing as part of the bill. ( i know not a perfect analogy)

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

laugh until the end of time and wonder why so many people were so deep into such a bullshit scam that is cryptocurrency.

Was going to say the same thing because I too would laugh my ass off over it.

If you're foolish enough to fall for it, you get what you deserve....
Esp when others are telling you point-blank what the real deal is about it and you ignore them.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

25 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

just the caloric expense of moving your vocal cords, I don't know how much cheaper something can get lol.

well, if your time could be better spent than calling or messaging the other person and that person would also rather be doing something else... not to mention if they need to be doing this for multiple wallets or merging them for better handling or whatever. you'd incur in some expense if you couldn't just delete everything, that's for sure. whether that expense would be part of "selling" the tokens depends on how you actually solve the problem.

31 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

and even an exchange in that scenario, would be required to give it to the clients (because it isn't theirs to hold) and therefore isn't making a value transaction with the crypto (as in they aren't selling it) so the costs incurred to transfer it back to the client are somewhat isolated from the value of currency itself, its a separate business or legal cost to make the client whole.

what if the customers absolutely don't want to have the crypto back and pay the exchange to "buy" it from them and keep or destroy it 🤔

also there's L salvador which has declared it legal tender so people probably can't just destroy it there even if it belongs to them

sudo chmod -R 000 /*