will USB-C replace USB-A?

Dragonwinged

So I'm actually curious as to whether or not there's anything you can do with USB-A that can't be done with USB-C. USB-C is smaller, you don't have to worry about which side is up, and as far as I can tell, USB-C has a higher tolerance for delivering high wattage through its cable. Plus the fact that new USB-C ports support plugging in an external GPU. Unless there is something USB-A can do that USB-C can't, how long do you expect everything to switch to using USB-C as standard?

38 minutes ago, Dragonwinged said:

Plus the fact that new USB-C ports support plugging in an external GPU. 

That would be Thunderbolt over USB-C, not USB-C itself.

So I'm actually curious as to whether or not there's anything you can do with USB-A that can't be done with USB-C. USB-C is smaller, you don't have to worry about which side is up, and as far as I can tell, USB-C has a higher tolerance for delivering high wattage through its cable. 

At this point it is the same as long as it is USB-A 3.0 + its the same more or less. As for USB-A slowly being replaced ... yes you are correct it is happening but slowly. USB-C is becoming [finally] the USB that USB was supposed to be years ago imo.

how long do you expect everything to switch to using USB-C as standard?

Very hard to say, companies like to linger on with older standards for liability and other reasons. DVI anyone... really?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

59 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Very hard to say, companies like to linger on with older standards for liability and other reasons. DVI anyone... really?

It’s funny sometimes where business use is ahead and behind in some ways

A lot of older office machines at the dawn of DisplayPort were the first to start using it. It’s this oddball thing where you have Dell optiplex towers from 2009 that have DisplayPort and came with 4:3 1280x1024 monitors that have DisplayPort inputs 

Meanwhile DisplayPort is only just in the last few years becoming a consumer norm, just a few years back hdmi was the dominant standard and only recently is DisplayPort becoming more commonly used 

but then the other side of the coin, here’s the 2019 Sony Vaio SX14 that has a 4k display, and a vga output

5A3B1834-32A4-4CA7-8C0C-99AFC26D0299.thumb.webp.47e4d1b99e246d17a2fb2e363f3d651a.webp

Because every office projector is still vga 

so usb C taking over? Not a chance in hell

theres too much stuff that’s already usb type A, you’ll see type A ports on everything for at least another 10 years 

edit: I’d like to note the vga port is from 1987, originally introduced on the 8086 based IBM PS/2 computers (also where you get the ps/2 port)

both of these ports can still be found on modern hardware 

35 years between the first vga and ps/2 ports to this Asus H610 board which has both on a ddr5 platform

065F53E6-B194-4DA4-B8BC-924D7C2E13F9.thumb.png.2411765f6e14d9c5795dd48ea20e1a19.png

Oh and that’s a pci slot, from 1992, on a ddr5 platform

3 hours ago, Dragonwinged said:

So I'm actually curious as to whether or not there's anything you can do with USB-A that can't be done with USB-C. USB-C is smaller, you don't have to worry about which side is up, and as far as I can tell, USB-C has a higher tolerance for delivering high wattage through its cable. Plus the fact that new USB-C ports support plugging in an external GPU. Unless there is something USB-A can do that USB-C can't, how long do you expect everything to switch to using USB-C as standard?

not until manufacturing of USB-C can be automated. 
USB-C costs 10x more the manufacture then USB-A because shockingly, each plug is still done by hand. 

It will be considered "replaced" once mice and keyboards are terminated with usb-c

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It will, eventually. 

It depends on how people's old micro-B, or even older mini-USB devices are consumed, and depends on how often people re-route their desks/workbench.

Lenovo Thinkstation P410

xeon e5 2666v3

4x8g ddr4 2133 RECC

nvidia RTX A4000 16g

micron BX500 480g

intel P4501 4TB

10 hours ago, Dragonwinged said:

The goal, yes, is to replace USB-A with Type-C. There is however no urgency to do so, because it's not like there is any energy saving in doing so. The only compelling reason to have a computer with all Type-C ports is to fit more of them on the motherboard, or to make the (laptop or smartphone) device smaller.

I don't see desktop's removing Type-A any time soon, and you can still get PS2 ports on some motherboards because some people are willing to die on the n-key-rollover hill. ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 APEX has PS2 ports on it and that is a PCIe5 chipset.

The most likely scenario is that Intel will drop "Type-A" ports in favor of Type-C as it makes more type-C ports available at full bandwidth. Right now you only see motherboards with one or two type-C ports, because each type-C port when running in USB4/TB mode requires 4 PCIe lanes. Of which Intel doesn't have any to spare, but the PCH can share DMI bandwidth with M2 SSD's, 1x/4x PCIe slots, and other ports on the PCH to claim they do.

So until Intel starts offering more lanes on the CPU or just more bandwidth to the PCH, you'll likely not see more than 2 Type-C ports. For now.

Also, let's just put it out there that "Type-C" USB 2.0 ports is a bad idea, and will result in adding a dongle-hell to the already confusing mess. Yes, you can run a USB 2.0 device via adapter on a 3.x type-C port. But if you don't know which type C ports support USB 2, 3 or 4 it's just now going to be even more confusing. So what should be happening is all "type-C" ports being USB 4 (or later) that are backwards compatible with USB 3 and USB2 signalling/power when an adapter is used, and not permit manufacturers to make "USB 2.0" type-C ports.

I think A, B and C will coexist.

I think B will go eventually too but as its pretty uncommon I am not bothered by it like I am Micro and Mini USB which need to go ASAP!

Also, lightening has had its time, not that it was bad, it just is time to phase out.

As others had said, there is no rush to replace A with C, this would create way too much e-waste. (USB Micro and Mini devices are e-waste already due to the flimsy ports)

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

8 hours ago, starsmine said:

not until manufacturing of USB-C can be automated. 
USB-C costs 10x more the manufacture then USB-A because shockingly, each plug is still done by hand. 

Do you have a source for this?

At least to me it seems very simple to automate when you can make motherboards automatically with pick and place machines

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

Do you have a source for this?

At least to me it seems very simple to automate when you can make motherboards automatically with pick and place machines

I think this will happen as USB-C is just a better connector. Just its reversibility alone makes it better, not to mention a smaller footprint on the device. It would take a while though, as USB-A has become extremely intertwined into all electronics made. 

25 minutes ago, starsmine said:

That’s… 3 years old?

hell, it’s nearly 4 years (uploaded march of 2019) old a lot of stuff changes in that time in manufacturing 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I still use a pcmcia card almost daily. 

Connectors and standards never really die, they just become niche.

I am a big fan of usbc but usba will be around for a long time still.  

On 12/31/2022 at 4:07 PM, SansVarnic said:

I still use VGA.     Some monitors a just a place to store tools and icons, no need ot buy a new one for that.  Also my video array is all VGA and I'm not rich enough to replace it with anything better.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

I still use VGA.     Some monitors a just a place to store tools and icons, no need ot buy a new one for that.  Also my video array is all VGA and I'm not rich enough to replace it with anything better.

Yes there are reasons to keep certain standards like vga, which I have no issue with.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I imagine USB-A will disappear about the same time JPEG disappears. 😛

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

While Jay was getting ready for the RDNA 3 launch they made a really cool video with Viewsonic's portable monitor. We are living in a time where a whole monitor could be powered AND display 1080p @144Hz with a single cable.

USB-C is slowly but surely becoming the new standard. It takes time because of the vast number of machines that need to adopt it. USB A has been setting standards for over 20 years now, so it will take some time to flush everything out. The last to go will probably be the flash drives. 

As for how useful it is, i'm actually shocked it took us this long to adopt a single standard interface. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

20 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Yes there are reasons to keep certain standards like vga, which I have no issue with.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't exactly defending keeping old standards, I just can't afford to upgrade my stage display and the desktop shit is of little consequence.  I thought it was amusing that I might be one of those people that cause companies to keep producing old shit.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I will be very clear: In my opinion, USB A cannot go away fast enough.

I typically don't jump on the 'new stuff' bandwagon as fast as others, and I did resist USB C for a while. However, after having dealt with USB C on several phones, and now on several peripherals, I very much prefer it over USB A. If I'm looking at a product and it supports USB A only, I'm more likely to hold off on getting it, compared to USB C.

To quote myself: USB Ass.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On 12/31/2022 at 5:56 AM, 8tg said:

It’s funny sometimes where business use is ahead and behind in some ways

A lot of older office machines at the dawn of DisplayPort were the first to start using it. It’s this oddball thing where you have Dell optiplex towers from 2009 that have DisplayPort and came with 4:3 1280x1024 monitors that have DisplayPort inputs 

Meanwhile DisplayPort is only just in the last few years becoming a consumer norm, just a few years back hdmi was the dominant standard and only recently is DisplayPort becoming more commonly used 

but then the other side of the coin, here’s the 2019 Sony Vaio SX14 that has a 4k display, and a vga output

5A3B1834-32A4-4CA7-8C0C-99AFC26D0299.thumb.webp.47e4d1b99e246d17a2fb2e363f3d651a.webp

Because every office projector is still vga 

so usb C taking over? Not a chance in hell

theres too much stuff that’s already usb type A, you’ll see type A ports on everything for at least another 10 years 

edit: I’d like to note the vga port is from 1987, originally introduced on the 8086 based IBM PS/2 computers (also where you get the ps/2 port)

both of these ports can still be found on modern hardware 

35 years between the first vga and ps/2 ports to this Asus H610 board which has both on a ddr5 platform

065F53E6-B194-4DA4-B8BC-924D7C2E13F9.thumb.png.2411765f6e14d9c5795dd48ea20e1a19.png

Oh and that’s a pci slot, from 1992, on a ddr5 platform

You're only seeing certain legacy ports and slots on that board because it's designed for industrial use and as such require legacy items like a PCI slot and a 9 pin serial port which will never be seen on a general consumer motherboard nowadays.

Also, wasn't the type C port mostly replacing the unreliable mini and micro b ports that small devices had because it was more robust and it didn't matter which way you plugged the cable in.

On 12/31/2022 at 3:29 PM, Dragonwinged said:

So I'm actually curious as to whether or not there's anything you can do with USB-A that can't be done with USB-C. 

You can connect and/or charge literally billions of existing devices without fuss or an extra adapter (or cable).

USB A has been around as a 'common denominator' USB socket (plug) since the dawn of USB with OS support for it starting with Windows 95 OSR2. Even if we count Windows 98 as the its moment to shine, that's well over 20 years of devices and cables out there. Replaced easily? Nah.

I would rank USB C as replacing USB A on the same level as redesigning the RJ45 ethernet plug/socket and hoping things catch on. Or maybe Blu-ray completely replacing DVD.

I think co-existence is happening and will continue. We will always see boutique and small devices with USB C only but USB A will be extremely useful well into the future. At least another 20 years.

I don't like the USB A design and the plug can bend easily if stepped on and it can scratch devices easily if accidents happen. I have seen far better designs of plugs on older phones and consoles but you can't argue with its popularity.

On the device side as a replacement for the various horrible micro/mini/standard USB "B" connectors, its already happened largely, and thankfully!

On the host side, especially PC, it will take longer, mostly because of the huge installed body of USB-A devices, and the ease of using an A-C cable.

I'd like to see more C ports showing up on PC's though, it seems even on brand new stuff your lucky to get one C port.