AMD's RX 7900 Series Suffering A0 Stepping Issues and Releasing Unfinished RDNA 3 Silicon; Possible RDNA 3 Revisions Coming 2023

CommanderAlex
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,

UPDATE: On Tom's Hardware, an AMD spokesperson has made a statement in regard to the shader prefetch problem that has been going around on news outlets. 

Like previous hardware generations, shader pre-fetching is supported on RDNA 3 as per [gitlab link(opens in new tab)]. The code in question controls an experimental function which was not targeted for inclusion in these products and will not be enabled in this generation of product. This is a common industry practice to include experimental features to enable exploration and tuning for deployment in a future product generation.

The code that was cited in the original posts by Kepler_L2, whom @xAcid9 pointed out to me being months old,  (whom is quoted in the original post) was pertaining to an experimental function that was not intended for final RDNA 3 products, therefore is disabled for now. 

The original problem whether AMD used A0 stepping speculation doesn't appear to be true, although AMD has not replied to inquiries made by Tom's Hardware yet. 

My thoughts

This appears to be just growing pains that we've uncovered...yet unless AMD makes a statement in regards to the A0 stepping for clarification whether "unfinished" silicon was used to launch the 7900XTX/XT. I just want to keep you guys updated on where this story is going. 

AMD Addresses Controversy: RDNA 3 Shader Pre-Fetching Works Fine | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

AMD-Radeon-RX-7900-XTX_10.thumb.jpeg.e82f0c88762afc1aa5a425a4640fa4fd.jpeg

Summary

AMD's flagship Navi 31 GPUs on the A0 stepping appears to have some hardware issues that are affecting performance. This is believed to be the cause for Navi 31's delay by 1 year, resulting in unfinished silicon and a shader prefetch problem. Power issues are exhibited in different programs where the GPU clock varies from as low as 2.2GHz to as high as 2.9GHz. Early RDNA 3 will appear to have a non-working shader prefetch problem, resulting in software patches that hope to correct this until newer revised RDNA 3 silicon can be released next year.

Quotes

As discovered by Kepler_L2, it looks like early RDNA 3 silicon had a non-working shader prefetch HW. This was featured in three chips, the GFX1100 (Navi 31), GFX1102 (Navi 33), & GFX1103 (the APU lineup consisting of Phoenix chips). Now based on the latest GitHub submission. Kepler is also suggesting that Navi 32 GPUs are actually based on the 'GFX1103' IP whereas Navi 33 chips feature the 'GFX1102' IP. The same issues are found on every other chip besides Navi 32 which is going to be featured in several mainstream discrete GPUs on desktop and mobility platforms by early 2023.

Going off of this, this can result in months long delays until this can be fixed either partially by software through AMD's Adrenalin drivers or completely new silicon. 

According to Kepler, this is something that cannot be fixed or revised in a few weeks and will take several months if AMD even plans on fixing this. It would be a major blow if newer silicon with a fix comes out a few months later because the majority of gamers would already have bought the early revision of the Radeon RX 7900 series with the unfinished silicon. What's likely is that AMD may prepare a refresh a year later that would address these issues but for now, the Radeon RX 7900 series may have to depend massively on driver-level optimizations to address the unfinished GPU nature of their top RDNA 3 silicon.

As a result, users of new RDNA 3 GPUs are reporting strange GPU clock variations across different games/software, resulting in GPU clock speeds as low as 2.2GHz to as high as 2.9GHz. They are also stating that they're being treated as guinea pigs for AMD to launch a product this unrefined.

My thoughts

I'm pretty shocked that AMD would release RDNA 3 knowing there are issues with the silicon. AMD didn't want to come out of the gate and say that there were issues with performance and instead chose to say "up to 1.7x more performance" in certain games and it definitely shows in the slew of release videos showcasing the 7900XTX and 7900XT. I think if you are on the fence on buying one of these GPUs, it's best to wait or even skip this generation entirely until a refreshed RDNA 3 comes out or RDNA 4 (if that's coming next). 

Sources

AMD accused of treating consumers as 'guinea pigs' by shipping unfinished RX 7900 GPUs | TechRadar

AMD's flagship RX 7900 XTX GPUs discovered to integrate A0 silicon revision affected by serious hardware issues - NotebookCheck.net News

Rumors Allege AMD Shipped Unfinished RDNA 3 Navi 31 A0 GPU Silicon In Radeon RX 7900 Series (wccftech.com)

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

33 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Now based on the latest GitHub submission.

July 11 submission is latest?

Judging from weird power consumption and leaked rumor about silicon problem before release day, I think they're onto something.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

July 11 submission is latest?

It appears AMD have been having this problems with RDNA 3 since then...and apparently cannot resolve these issues since. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Hardware problems are nothing new, and even if we take this at face value, they still seem to give decent performance. Assuming it requires a hardware fix, this could lead to an interesting refresh down the line.

I fell for a trap at launch. I was so focused on what it didn't do, I didn't see what it could. Regardless if this bug exists or not, you're still getting the performance it is offering today.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I have been saying it for a while now but, AMDs graphics card division and software division is in need of major change.

It is baffling to something like this get to production. AMD seriously needs to improve the quality of their products, be it hardware or software.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

25 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

It appears AMD have been having this problems with RDNA 3 since then...and apparently cannot resolve these issues since. 

Yeah. The entry still not change since August. 

Also if you check XTX BIOSes from TechPowerUp, you can see the naming have A0 in it for reference and XFX Merc card.

AMD Reference

image.png

XFX Merc

image.png.c44ed41492c4d5ef3c8ffdf6f89b519c.png

Asus TUF

image.png.c21121eabd0ade1ead1a533639965827.png

But how do you actually check the chip naming? GFX1100, GFX1102, GFX1103

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I wonder how much it is effecting performance. If it is 5% or less I don’t care, but if it is more then I would be wanting to know when the revision comes. I was about to buy a 7900 xtx that came is stock 30 minutes ago but decide to wait and get more information on this. I may just get a used last gen card and upgrade to the revised hardware if it is significant. 

According to MLID, AMD didn't want to release RDNA3 this year. Nvidia forced them to by launching 40 series this year.

2 hours ago, Levent said:

I have been saying it for a while now but, AMDs graphics card division and software division is in need of major change.

Management at the GPU Hardware division of AMD has changed. Not sure if a change is needed in the rank and file of the hardware division.

Their software division on the other hand needs serious help.

With respect to RDNA3, MLID's sources indicated that the performance level the 7900XTX was targeting was not communicated properly in AMD and ultimately AMD as a whole were surprised to see 7900XTX perform the way it did. They expected it to be as fast as they claimed in their presentation it would be, 50-70% faster than a 6950XT.

2 hours ago, Levent said:

It is baffling to something like this get to production. AMD seriously needs to improve the quality of their products, be it hardware or software.

I suspect people at AMD had to know about this issue but ultimately concluded that they couldn't fix it in time for release.

AMD didn't want to release RDNA3 this year according to MLID. They only released it this year cos Nvidia released the 40 series this year. If Nvidia hadn't released it then AMD wouldn't have released RDNA3 this year.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, Dietrichw said:

I wonder how much it is effecting performance. If it is 5% or less I don’t care, but if it is more then I would be wanting to know when the revision comes. I was about to buy a 7900 xtx that came is stock 30 minutes ago but decide to wait and get more information on this. I may just get a used last gen card and upgrade to the revised hardware if it is significant. 

If you're happy with either 6800XT or 6900XT performance and you can find a 6800XT for $500 ish or a 6900XT for $700 then I would suggest grabbing that instead. If not, waiting this out is an option.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

AMD didn't want to release RDNA3 this year according to MLID. They only released it this year cos Nvidia released the 40 series this year. If Nvidia hadn't released it then AMD wouldn't have released RDNA3 this year.

WOW.. MLID read my mind. I think i should make a YT video as well... but i don't have any anonymous source.. 🤔

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Source notwithstanding, I'm not sure I buy that and struggling to process that.

Generation launch dates:

May 2016 Pascal
Aug 2017 Vega
Sep 2018 Turing
Jul 2019 RDNA
Sep 2020 Ampere
Nov 2020 RDNA2
Oct 2022 Ada
Dec 2022 RDNA3

Nvidia have been on a more or less 2 year cycle though these generations. AMD are more variable. While past performance is no guarantee of future behaviour, if AMD really did want to have a product going against nvidia close to launch then planning for an nvidia 2 year-ish cycle would seem to be the way to go. Or did they expect delays from nvidia for some reason? I'm not aware of a technical reason, and the only reasons are more woolly like macroeconomic conditions and shifting the old products, which I'd argue would be less clear back when AMD would have had to make those decisions. Is AMD not confident enough to release their product when it is ready, as opposed to being "forced" by a competitor doing business as normal?

The only thing that makes gives me support this claim has any truth is the FSR 3 announcement. The way it was given and the timing of it just made it sound like they panicked and felt they had to match nvidia.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

48 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

According to MLID, AMD didn't want to release RDNA3 this year. Nvidia forced them to by launching 40 series this year.

Nvidia's schedule has been stable with a release every 2 years for the past decade or so, not like they would have been surprised by it... so that's a BS take. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

This prefetch problem is a major issue

Management at the GPU Hardware division of AMD has changed. Not sure if a change is needed in the rank and file of the hardware division.

Their software division on the other hand needs serious help.

With respect to RDNA3, MLID's sources indicated that the performance level the 7900XTX was targeting was not communicated properly in AMD and ultimately AMD as a whole were surprised to see 7900XTX perform the way it did. They expected it to be as fast as they claimed in their presentation it would be, 50-70% faster than a 6950XT.

I suspect people at AMD had to know about this issue but ultimately concluded that they couldn't fix it in time for release.

That's what I've been seeing too from MLID on his coverage the other day on RDNA 3. 

1 hour ago, porina said:

Source notwithstanding, I'm not sure I buy that and struggling to process that.

Generation launch dates:

May 2016 Pascal
Aug 2017 Vega
Sep 2018 Turing
Jul 2019 RDNA
Sep 2020 Ampere
Nov 2020 RDNA2
Oct 2022 Ada
Dec 2022 RDNA3

Nvidia have been on a more or less 2 year cycle though these generations. AMD are more variable. While past performance is no guarantee of future behaviour, if AMD really did want to have a product going against nvidia close to launch then planning for an nvidia 2 year-ish cycle would seem to be the way to go.

They wanted to release RDNA3 in 2023. Once Nvidia announced Ada Lovelace AMD couldn't help but launch early compared to their plan to launch in 2023.

1 hour ago, porina said:

Or did they expect delays from nvidia for some reason? I'm not aware of a technical reason, and the only reasons are more woolly like macroeconomic conditions and shifting the old products, which I'd argue would be less clear back when AMD would have had to make those decisions. Is AMD not confident enough to release their product when it is ready, as opposed to being "forced" by a competitor doing business as normal?

I think part of it is they wanted to be sure that they could offload all their RX 6000 parts before RX 7000.

Another part is that they may have wanted more time to push 7900XTX harder in clockspeeds and power.

It would make sense if AMD expected Nvidia to be delayed for one reason or another but obviously Nvidia weren't delayed.

1 hour ago, porina said:

The only thing that makes gives me support this claim has any truth is the FSR 3 announcement. The way it was given and the timing of it just made it sound like they panicked and felt they had to match nvidia.

16 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It takes month in prep work to get a new GPU on the shelves. AMD launching RDNA3 is not a reaction to Nvidia. In comparison to Intel, AMD is relying on board partners to make graphics cards and they cannot afford to produce 10 million units and put them in a warehouse.

I was curious about this the first time we heard it. Now as I'm in no rush and wanted to see custom cards anyway, I didn't get one. So revised chip could get a decent uplift it seems, especially if rumored much higher clocks are true. Hopefully new revision doesn't take too long. Few months won't be a big deal, year would be. 

Same how I wait to see new X3D chips which is a good idea.

Some extra info:

AMD Addresses Controversy: RDNA 3 Shader Pre-Fetching Works Fine | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

To expand on that, basically shipping A0 means everything worked well enough to ship product. It's not a bad thing. That's not to say there wont be potential for future improvement. This puts the claim that AMD didn't want to ship until next year into further doubt. Maybe that was based on a contingency AMD had in reserve in case further work was indeed needed to get a shipping product.

It is good know it doesn’t mean much. I guess I am back in the hunt for a card then. 

On 12/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, AluminiumTech said:

that wasnt MLID's take on it. I have went back and watched his previous videos. 

MLID never said AMD was forced to launch this year because Nvidia.

Just that they announced launching it this year, CONSIDIDERED delaying it a few months back and decided it was not worth the reputational damage to delay to next year for the reasons of

Delays look bad to investors
Card works well enough
Ironing out all the bugs could take anywhere from 2 months to 6 months if at all.

RDNA 1 stock is low, would be handing over market and mind share to nvidia.

Bringing up that there was talks and consideration does not mean AMD did not want to release it this year, just that it was considered. 

This is a big reason why you have to be careful with leaks, and why companies dislike leaks. Because internal talks of considering things gets misunderstood as a want/desire/promise to people on the outside when its not.

Its not that leaks are false, its that things change.

5 hours ago, starsmine said:

that wasnt MLID's take on it. I have went back and watched his previous videos. 

MLID never said AMD was forced to launch this year because Nvidia.

Pretty sure he did previously although his latest video today walked that back. I guess that's what you watched.

Just that they announced launching it this year, CONSIDIDERED delaying it a few months back and decided it was not worth the reputational damage to delay to next year for the reasons of

Delays look bad to investors
Card works well enough
Ironing out all the bugs could take anywhere from 2 months to 6 months if at all.

RDNA 1 stock is low, would be handing over market and mind share to nvidia.

*RDNA2

Bringing up that there was talks and consideration does not mean AMD did not want to release it this year, just that it was considered. 

This is a big reason why you have to be careful with leaks, and why companies dislike leaks. Because internal talks of considering things gets misunderstood as a want/desire/promise to people on the outside when its not.

Its not that leaks are false, its that things change.

Agreed.

UPDATE: On Tom's Hardware, an AMD spokesperson has made a statement in regard to the shader prefetch problem that has been going around on news outlets. 

Like previous hardware generations, shader pre-fetching is supported on RDNA 3 as per [gitlab link(opens in new tab)]. The code in question controls an experimental function which was not targeted for inclusion in these products and will not be enabled in this generation of product. This is a common industry practice to include experimental features to enable exploration and tuning for deployment in a future product generation.

The code that was cited in the original posts by Kepler_L2, whom @xAcid9 pointed out to me being months old,  (whom is quoted in the original post) was pertaining to an experimental function that was not intended for final RDNA 3 products, therefore is disabled for now. 

The original problem whether AMD used A0 stepping speculation doesn't appear to be true, although AMD has not replied to inquiries made by Tom's Hardware yet. 

My thoughts

This appears to be just growing pains that we've uncovered...yet unless AMD makes a statement in regards to the A0 stepping for clarification whether "unfinished" silicon was used to launch the 7900XTX/XT. I just want to keep you guys updated on where this story is going. 

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Pretty sure he did previously although his latest video today walked that back. I guess that's what you watched.

No I watched his previous two videos first before commenting that. If he said it ealier then that, I missed it.

9 hours ago, porina said:

To expand on that, basically shipping A0 means everything worked well enough to ship product. It's not a bad thing. That's not to say there wont be potential for future improvement. This puts the claim that AMD didn't want to ship until next year into further doubt. Maybe that was based on a contingency AMD had in reserve in case further work was indeed needed to get a shipping product.

-snip-

I'd 100% agree with his statement if 7900 series don't have weird power consumption problem. AMD need to fix it a.s.a.p with driver/BIOS update.

What? MLID was wrong? Again? Oh my god... *sweep under the rug*

He rarely wrong. 

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

I'd 100% agree with his statement if 7900 series don't have weird power consumption problem. AMD need to fix it a.s.a.p with driver/BIOS update.

What? MLID was wrong? Again? Oh my god... *sweep under the rug*

He rarely wrong. 

MLID was wrong how? (in this case)
Not that he cant get his analysis wrong, he has, but saying AMD had internal talks about delaying to next year is not wrong. Saying that his sources at AMD expected x number two months ago is not him being wrong. You can only do analysis on the data you have, and sometimes the data is wrong. That does not make the analysis wrong, the analysis would still be correct based on the data.

Simplified logic. 

2+2 = 4

but you go, "but the initial conditions were 2+3, so it wasn't 4, you were wrong..."

like no, the data was wrong, the analysis is still correct.

And even then, it could very well HAVE been 2+2, 3 months ago, but things changed because things were not finalized yet, so was the data actually wrong? no.

AMD went, our simulations show this, our targets show this. product is made, oh shit it does not match the simulations or targets. BUT, its also still a generational leap. Its still good enough, people buying day 1 enthusiast hardware don't care about idle power much. 

There are talks about RDNA3+ apparently existing, whatever that means, dont know, not enough has leaked out. Hard to analize, could just be mobile, could be more.
They have stated some of the known pipeline issues in RDNA3 have already been fixed for future chips, meaning RDNA4 for sure, does that mean 3+ again, dont know.

7970 HD was A0, 7970 GHZ edition was B0. 

They may also be banking on drivers allowing the cards to be rebenchmarked/"refreshed" when the full Navi 31 cards come out with the 7950 xtx next year, and being closer to their performance targets for the cards.