Linus claims on twitter that he supports the freedom of employees talking against him on LTT but at the same time he puts fired employees under a NDA

Watanabe

Recently @LinusTech tweeted this:

image.png.3e9b70c6aa6e5aaee48d791f57df4ead.png

While when people like Madison was fired, he put she under a NDA where she couldn't tell anything about it or the company. So Linus basically follows the "Rules for thee but not for me"

So are you interested in actually having a discussion this time, or are you just going to declare anybody who has a different opinion than you "Linus fanboys" and ignore them and then disappear like the last time you started a thread? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

8 minutes ago, Watanabe said:

So Linus basically follows the "Rules for thee but not for me"

Name me someone who doesn't before we get this party started.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

1 hour ago, Watanabe said:

While when people like Madison was fired, he put she under a NDA where she couldn't tell anything about it or the company. So Linus basically follows the "Rules for thee but not for me"

What makes you think the NDA was even somewhat nefarious in the first place...?

This is likely the worlds average nothing-burger, realized on a daily basis.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

46 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

Pretty sure there are valid reasons to have an NDA in business that have nothing to do with general criticisms.

correct. hell am under a nda for a testing a product atm.

that all i can say atm!!!!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, Watanabe said:

As if you know why she was let go. Don't assume stuff.

3 hours ago, Watanabe said:

Recently @LinusTech

Probably for her protection. 

Young people don't always make the best decisions when losing jobs or taking criticism. 

Not to defame her character, I'm just saying young people sometimes do dumb stuff and he probably had a serious discussion with her to say "don't talk about it so you can get a new job." Presuming it was lmg saying goodbye and not the other way around. 

I know nothing realistic about her. Nor her employment day to day activity

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

So are you interested in actually having a discussion this time, or are you just going to declare anybody who has a different opinion than you "Linus fanboys" and ignore them and then disappear like the last time you started a thread? 

Gotta link?

Maybe just lock this potential bait thread if it's not real discussion. 

1 hour ago, dogwitch said:

correct. hell am under a nda for a testing a product atm.

that all i can say atm!!!!

Double check your agreement!

Just to be safe lol

42 minutes ago, fpo said:

Double check your agreement!

Just to be safe lol

i always do. i learn the hard way yars ago.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

48 minutes ago, fpo said:

Young people don't always make the best decisions when losing jobs or taking criticism. 

Not to defame her character, I'm just saying young people sometimes do dumb stuff and he probably had a serious discussion with her to say "don't talk about it so you can get a new job." Presuming it was lmg saying goodbye and not the other way around. 

I know nothing realistic about her. Nor her employment day to day activity

Gotta link?

Maybe just lock this potential bait thread if it's not real discussion. 

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1459074-a-case-against-clickbait-titles-that-linus-uses/

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

48 minutes ago, fpo said:

We will never know. There could be so many reasons, she could have been a lazy worker, her co-workers might not have liked her without her being at fault, she could have just not fit in, it could've been personal from LTT management side etc etc.

I get the NDA from the point of view where if she were to badmouth LMG, they would still have to stay silent, as they cannot spill the beans, they could only deny claims, but that would be it. This simply keeps things private, and prevents extra mess.

To be clear, things like sexual harassment does not fall under an NDA, even if your country has laws that would in theory have it fall under an NDA, this would not stay that way once you taking legal steps, since NDA's are not supposed to be used for that purpose.

Any responsible business has an employee NDA. It's for the protection of the business, its partners, and its employees.

Regardless of the exact terms, if there was anything bad happening here, you'd already know about it anyway because in Canada no NDA can restrict a complaint about unlawful behavior.

So the simple answer is that the law is working both ways as intended. It's preventing me from muzzling anyone with a real problem, and it's preventing anyone without a real problem from defaming me for lulz.

8 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Any responsible business has an employee NDA. It's for the protection of the business, its partners, and its employees.

Regardless of the exact terms, if there was anything bad happening here, you'd already know about it anyway because in Canada no NDA can restrict a complaint about unlawful behavior.

So the simple answer is that the law is working both ways as intended. It's preventing me from muzzling anyone with a real problem, and it's preventing anyone without a real problem from defaming me for lulz.

Yeah this is the same as we have here (Netherlands).

How much can a person still say with an NDA in place? I've always had NDA's in my work (social/youth work), but mine have always been about protecting the privacy of my clients, they don't restrict me to talk about work environment etc, obviously defamation without being able to back it up, will get me in hot water.
To be clear, I get why different companies keep different NDA's for obvious reasons.

40 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

CALLED IT!!

swag

Spoiler

Sorry for disrespect

You cannot make a thread in this fashion to make a claim of this nature if you do not understand how an NDA works, shows your ignorance.

NDA's do not stop employees from speaking out against their company for poor treatment or unlawful practices. NDA are there to stop employees from giving out trade secrets, business contact that wish to remain anonymous and about a hundred other reasons. For example, I still have NDA's from previous employers that are still in effect, a few of them are good until the day I die. Some things are considered to be confidential and are expected to remain that way.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

NDA's do not stop employees from speaking out against their company for poor treatment or unlawful practices

I think the poor treatment bit might depend where you live, and NDA can cover pretty much anything that was done lawfully.  NDA's (not employees) against unlawful practices could be a bit of a sketchy area, an example I can think of is the families that signed NDA's regarding some of the out of court settlements with car companies that effectively covered stuff up...but that's a very stretched case.

I do agree though, the original poster doesn't really know what a NDA is.

If anything, instead of going after things like NDA's which have no argument, I think a better approach would have been trying to argue the limits of free speech.  In general I always think of free speech when talked about by Musk as a way of censorship.  Not necessarily speaking without fear of retaliation, but rather that if you want to speak your voice should not be gagged.

e.g. I do think that there shouldn't be full censorship of material just because a party doesn't like it, but also recognizing there must be limits to such a thing.

Just in regards to the tweet itself, the guy literally painted a target on his back.  You don't go talking to the exec like that, especially when you are claiming to be part of the group of people who made the App that is being complained about.  You also don't just say, "You're wrong", you say "no you're wrong because xyz".  Also keep in mind that the team had told Elon the number that was wrong.

The simpler way of putting it:

Elon: Complains about Twitter App being slow when having high latency, people tell him a reason (which might have slightly been miscommunicated...but it still seems as the heart of the issue was all those sub-calls)

Person B: Claims they are wrong, because they have 6 years of experience (working on the App that is being criticized).

Elon: Asks for the right number

Person B: "Gives a number"...but also talks about having worked on improving the performance

In general it's never a good thing to tell someone their wrong, when they are criticizing the performance of the app (especially if there are other engineers signing a different tune) and if you claim you were on a team trying to improve performance.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

12 hours ago, Watanabe said:

That's standard protocol when leaving positions for most workplaces in private and public. You can't go around disclosing workflows, procedures, any internal workplace information of your former workplaces after leaving. But as far as general experiences and not specifics, that's up to the individual to device if they want to share. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

@Middcore.... I think you made the OP ran..., again :<

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

now i know i work in a big company and NDA´s is part of normal work culture, so i don´t see the problem with an NDA..

So you run a company, you run it with a LOT of business partners, that shares with you technology and information before launch, which also is trusted to you (with NDA of their own) because your company or your employees leaking this information will create ripples..

For instance if Linus fired an employee that got mad, and leaked ATI benchmarks of the new GPU 2 weeks ahead of time, then suddenly ATI would not trust you anymore, and they could sue you for loss of control, and also all the other Hardware sites will be mad at you, because you "removed" the agreement of a shared scoop.

even inside product development ideas, some might never become something, angry employees tend to "be a bit loose" with information..

Se the large SLEW of information being shared by former and even current twitter engineers, and the giant backlash it actually has. an NDA is not a solution, but it is the only containment solution you have, trust of course is another, we can trust people with information however it can be a weak link. 

Of course companies also use this to get out of tough spots, that are ethically wrong, as you can see in the giant incidents in the gaming industry, where lots of "ugly cases" has been paid off, with a NDA as an outcome..

so yes it can be a "good" and a "bad" tool, but for many businesses it is the only "protection" you have when sharing critical information, with people that you have not yet had the time to either build enough trust with, or at least you can use it towards the people that has been hurt by a leak and say.. "hey we did sign an NDA with that person, we as a company did ALL we could do to NOT leak information, that would create issues for you" and then you have a case towards a person, and the company is fairly free from accusations.

This is not the same thing at all, lol

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

OP hasn't visited the forum since he posted this yesterday, surprising nobody.

Will we ever see him again? Not until the next time he comes up with an ill-informed idea for a drive-by attack on Linus, I expect. 

I'm sure there's a big difference between publicly disagreeing on something and publicly sharing confidential information. If I worked for Nintendo or any other game developer and my employment ended before the release of the game, I'm pretty sure I'd still be under the NDA.

4 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

I'm sure there's a big difference between publicly disagreeing on something and publicly sharing confidential information. If I worked for Nintendo or any other game developer and my employment ended before the release of the game, I'm pretty sure I'd still be under the NDA.

Agreed, although I do think there is also a difference between "disagreeing"/"correcting" and being fired (which people act like it's the full story)

and

painting a target on your back by disagreeing and subsequently stating you were one of the people who tried improving performance (when the thing you are "correcting" is a criticism of the app's performance).

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef