Massive quad-slot cooler for unreleased 900W GeForce RTX 40 series GPU has been pictured

Summary

In a Chiphell post it was explained that this cooler was supposed to be used for an RTX 40 series card with a peak power of 900W; since that’s of course peak power, the actual TDP could be much lower. The leaker has other photos apparently, but only some were published. In the released pictures you can see a massive four slot cooler frame, and heatsink for a supposedly unreleased Ada Lovelace GPU.

NVIDIA-RTX-40-900W-COOLER-3.thumb.jpg.3c86e2bf0b0c48c3494ecf8f39dbfff7.jpg

NVIDIA-RTX-40-900W-COOLER-1.thumb.jpg.623a8dcef7a1147f1950398b16b5e442.jpg

NVIDIA-RTX-40-900W-COOLER-2.thumb.jpg.6f66a929615be126f6eba670933dddbd.jpg

Quotes

There were rumors that NVIDIA could be working on 800W Ada GPUs, but thus far nothing has confirmed those rumors. Until now, it seems.

With the number of X-shaped frames made, one can assume that this is not a troll post, but a real quad-slot design that was considered at some point.

It looks like the 900W cooler would have a different heatsink altogether. Interestingly, the fins would not be angled but straight, parallel to the card PCB. Furthermore, the cold plate is placed on a side. There were claims the people working on the potential card in the labs they mounted the motherboard to the side of the card instead of the other way around. 

It looks a lot like the massive vapor chamber cooling array actually mounted vertically on top of the PCB and GPU rather than horizontally. If you see where the actual mounting plates for the GPU and VRM are, they appear to be positioned on what is traditionally the edge of a graphics card cooler. 

My thoughts

Now it's obvious this cooler was meant for what was described as "The Beast" or the Ada Titan. But many news outlets have since claimed that card has been cancelled and there will be no Ada Titan. MLID claimed the reason the Ada Titan was cancelled was because it was "melting power supplies, and sometimes melting itself." I'm wondering if this cooler will be repurposed for the 4090 Ti, as the 4090 is not the full fat AD102 die; so there's still room to release a fully enabled AD102. Utilizing this cooler would definitely keep the temps in check like the 4090 cooler does. As the 4090 is not thermally limited by any means. We will probably have to see what RDNA 3 brings to the table before we see NVIDIA make a move on releasing a more powerful card though. 

Sources

https://videocardz.com/newz/massive-quad-slot-cooler-for-unreleased-900w-geforce-rtx-40-gpu-has-been-pictured

https://www.pcgamer.com/look-the-laurel-and-hardy-of-nvidia-graphics-card-coolers/

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2452314-1-1.html

Saw this this morning all over twitter. Call me when its an actual product.

Just now, starsmine said:

Its an actual prototype of a product. 

Didn't think I needed to specify but a product is something announced with a price and on sale date.

Just goes to show how much of a dumbass Huang truly is along with many of his other bits such as cooking GPUs in kitchen with a leather suit. He deserves a good ole beating with a leather clad in the back. Might as well attach AIOs on these cards, like AMD has done with the Vega. But I presume cost cutting.

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Didn't think I needed to specify but a product is something announced with a price and on sale date.

its not that you had to, its just a weird tone to take.

5 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Just goes to show how much of a dumbass Huang truly is along with many of his other bits such as cooking GPUs in kitchen with a leather suit. He deserves a good ole beating with a leather clad in the back. Might as well attach AIOs on these cards, like AMD has done with the Vega. But I presume cost cutting.

Or this is fake...

If it's true, I wonder how much it'll sag after 6 months.

And, if it's true, I guess RTX50xx will be 5 slot one?
Goddamn, we'll run out of PCIE bracket slot soon.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

NVIDIA-RTX-40-900W-COOLER-3.thumb.jpg.3c86e2bf0b0c48c3494ecf8f39dbfff7.jpg

looks 3d printed 😕

sure is leaning hard to being fake

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Poinkachu said:

If it's true, I wonder how much it'll sag after 6 months.

And, if it's true, I guess RTX50xx will be 5 slot one?
Goddamn, we'll run out of PCIE bracket slot soon.

GPU's should have never gotten big enough to take 3 slots in the first place.

If GPU's are going to be this big, they may as well be sold as a complete system, because no tower chassis can fit this. It's bad enough that 3-slot cards risk warping the PCIe slot in shipping, never mind use.

11 minutes ago, Arika S said:

looks 3d printed 😕

I mean, thats what a prototype batch would be before you design tooling.

Could be fake, we know 600W+ SKUs were internally tested. Dont know why the leak called it 900W. It is just interesting to visualize how massive those prototypes would have been. 

17 minutes ago, Arika S said:

looks 3d printed 😕

Don't aluminum extrusions look like this before sandblasting/anodization? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

GPU's should have never gotten big enough to take 3 slots in the first place.

I disagree, give us options

Those who doesn't want big GPU can buy smaller ones, those who want more performance can buy big ones

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

I disagree, give us options

Those who doesn't want big GPU can buy smaller ones, those who want more performance can buy big ones

AMD, NVIDIA and INTEL should have met privately to agree on a new ATX TDP spec where the GPU wider than 2 slots is no longer plugged directly into the x16 slot on the motherboard. But as with everything, people are going to complain about saving pennies when they should be thinking about saving thousands of dollars in buying new chassis every year because the manufacturers can't be bothered to stick to the spec they agreed to the last time.

All this whine about forcing apple to use USB-C, and meanwhile NVIDIA and AMD are forcing you to buy a new MB and tower chassis with every upgrade because the GPU no longer fits last years model unless you want to downgrade to the lowest end part.

2028 NVIDIA will be releasing GPU's that take up 8 slots worth of space and 1200w TDP , and you'll still be saying "I want options"

48 minutes ago, Kisai said:

All this whine about forcing apple to use USB-C, and meanwhile NVIDIA and AMD are forcing you to buy a new MB and tower chassis with every upgrade because the GPU no longer fits last years model unless you want to downgrade to the lowest end part.

2028 NVIDIA will be releasing GPU's that take up 8 slots worth of space and 1200w TDP , and you'll still be saying "I want options"

Let's be honest, the GPU of the same size will still be an upgrade over the last generation

You have more upgrade path, a costlier one for way more performance, or just change to a more modern GPU for, I believe, still a substantial upgrade

46 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Let's be honest, the GPU of the same size will still be an upgrade over the last generation

You have more upgrade path, a costlier one for way more performance, or just change to a more modern GPU for, I believe, still a substantial upgrade

But the 4090 FE is smaller and less power than the 3090 Ti, the 4090 Ti FE probably will be the same cooler. It's legit only the AIB fault for the size of cards this generation, the RTX 40 series uses less power than RTX 30 series.

The problem is people believe these unrealistic rumors like 900W GPUs and massive 4+ slot reference coolers that couldn't ever be safe to ship in a built PC so would have to be boxed as an accessory part.

Self driven outrage at a non issue that isn't really happening, at least not how it's being portrayed anyway.

Good god that's a THICC card.

At what point should it be mandatory to use liquid cooling for a reference card? 4 slots is insane!

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

massive 4+ slot reference coolers that couldn't ever be safe to ship in a built PC

They pretend as if prebuilt never had SLI configs before

I'd argue the more slots GPUs get, the less likely they are to cause damage in transit or suffer from sag. When we have "thin" GPUs, the PCB is the main structure. As they get thicker, by necessity the metal parts would become more structural and the PCB is now just hitching a ride on the cooling. Also with more slots worth of case attachment, there's less room for it to move as long as the case itself is strong enough in that area.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

They pretend as of prebuilt never had SLI configs before

Prebuilt systems from Dell and HP have large mounting brackets on both sides of the GPU, even on Quadro 4000 parts.

X5R5K BRKT, HOLDER, RTX3070, PG142

687474703a2f2f686f7468617264776172652e63

(bottom image is an Alienware)

That is how they survive shipping. Take note how the proprietary brackets only fit the GPU's that came with it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/newegg-up-charging-pre-built-4090-by-520

Meanwhile.

Again, the problem here is that they should never have scaled past two slots. An ATX board is 12" by 9.6" An RTX 4090 FE is 12" long. See the problem?

The AIB 4090's will no doubt be thicker than a 3-slot card, because they always are bigger than the FE's, The ASUS cards are 14.1" long and 4 slots thick. 

Don't worry guys, the RTX 5080 Pro Titan Max Ultra (or as the older model number would have gone, RTX 6090. Nvidia ran out of numbers after 5080 so they need to recycle) will be only 2-slot GPU with AIO.

The AIO for it:

Spoiler

ekocoil_hjv5425.jpg

For info: That is data center cooler, those fans are about 1m in diameter.

Why would someone buy a 900W heatblower if not in the arctics?

The power limits of modern GPUs are going insane. And so are electricity prices here in Europe.

I edit my posts more often than not

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

But the 4090 FE is smaller and less power than the 3090 Ti, the 4090 Ti FE probably will be the same cooler. It's legit only the AIB fault for the size of cards this generation, the RTX 40 series uses less power than RTX 30 series.

The problem is people believe these unrealistic rumors like 900W GPUs and massive 4+ slot reference coolers that couldn't ever be safe to ship in a built PC so would have to be boxed as an accessory part.

Self driven outrage at a non issue that isn't really happening, at least not how it's being portrayed anyway.

Just my 2cents on this... May not be accurate conclusion but... 

Der8auer OCd the 4090. He found that just few extra mV (50mV to 100mV) increases the power usage drastically to the point that even 600W power limit is easily reached. 

Looking at some of the PCB analysis of the chapter cards by Buildzoid, some of them have such a bad voltage spikes that they may vary by 100mV or more meaning you can have massive power swings. It's not the same as sustained power but it still affects the PSU requirements even if the avg power may be lower than last gen.

So the funny thing about all of this is that if you get a "cheap" 4090 you need to spend more on a PSU even if you don't OC.