R/LinusTechTips Mods banning me when try to see how the community feels about the recent blanket topic bans.

glunday

I made a post on R/LinusTechTips after reading the State of the Subreddit post, I thought it was very heavy handed to be banning topics that are directly relevant to LMG and a slippery slope; so I made a post to see how the community felt about it. Looks like thats enough to get my post deleted and banned. Guess the opinions of those that think its to heavy handed dont matter.

Ban.thumb.PNG.a1d556a9a9eff572e14d86f3235e0d37.PNGpostt.PNG.b84df751c8b358fd42ebef0d7a947415.PNG

i7 6700k - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - assorted other stuff

OK?

What do you want anybody here to do about it?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

9 minutes ago, glunday said:

Guess the opinions of those that think its to heavy handed dont matter.

> Moderation gets too heavy handed

> Makes post about moderation being too heavy handed

> Gets banned

> Comes to another forum to talk about ban being heavy handed

Talk about making progress 

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

OK?

What do you want anybody here to do about it?

I didn't ask anyone to do anything about it, but when a sub starts going down the slippery slope of banning relevant topics and banning people that dont agree with that then you should let other people in the community know about it. So im letting the community know they can do with the information what they will.

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

> Moderation gets too heavy handed

> Makes post about moderation being too heavy handed

> Gets banned

> Comes to another forum to talk about moderation getting heavy handed

Talk about making progress 

I posted because while its different venues we are still a part of the same overall community. Just sharing information. People can do whatever they want with it.

34 minutes ago, glunday said:

People can do whatever they want with it.

Which is nothing because every LTT community platform is run by completely different moderation teams. Nothing said by the mods here will result in any changes, let alone community members. Reddit mods could care less as many of us probably aren't on there to begin with. 

It's not a well kept secret that Reddit mods in general for any Reddit community often power trip. It's just the nature of Reddit today.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

16 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Which is nothing because every LTT community platform is run by completely different moderation teams. Nothing said by the mods here will result in any changes, let alone community members. Reddit mods could care less as many of us probably aren't on there to begin with. 

It's not a well kept secret that Reddit mods in general for any Reddit community often power trip. It's just the nature of Reddit today.

They are different platforms but there's probably plenty of overlap of people on both the sub and the forum. its a bit ignorant to think that both platforms are completely isolated when we are the same community underneath. I tried to keep issues with the sub on the sub but a ban makes it a bit difficult to do that.

I dont expect posting here to go anywhere nor do I really care if it does but if I see part of our community as a whole going down a slippery slope then I want to share it; if its important to the community as a whole different platforms or not then the community will show it, im just posting what happened to me.

And since I am seeing plenty of posts and comments on there about how people aren't happy with the new policy and I have seen things being removed where should we talk about this stuff if not for the forum? what happens to the sub not completely unrelated to the forum. If the sub turns into a place that reflects negatively on LMG  then it hurts the community as a whole not just itself.

30 minutes ago, glunday said:

its a bit ignorant to think that both platforms are completely isolated when we are the same community underneath. 

It's not ignorant. The moderation staff do not share in between. Each platform, Forum, Discord, and Subreddit (more on that later) are run practically as completely different entities. In fact, the subreddit isn't even an "official" LTT subreddit. It's just recognized as one but doesn't mean LTT has any investment into it. 

30 minutes ago, glunday said:

If the sub turns into a place that reflects negatively on LMG  then it hurts the community as a whole not just itself.

We heard that a lot about the Discord sever on the forums with numerous posts of people getting banned there. Does it look like LTT cares? It was basically a project shoehorned by Jake and has effectively been abandoned and left to fester into whatever it is today. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

That just sounds like you basically asked, how do you feel about x topic being bannable? 

An example here would be making a post here about "how do you feel about politics being banned?"

30 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's not ignorant. The moderation staff do not share in between. Each platform, Forum, Discord, and Subreddit (more on that later) are run practically as completely different entities. In fact, the subreddit isn't even an "official" LTT subreddit. It's just recognized as one but doesn't mean LTT has any investment into it. 

We heard that a lot about the Discord sever on the forums with numerous posts of people getting banned there. Does it look like LTT cares? It was basically a project shoehorned by Jake and has effectively been abandoned and left to fester into whatever it is today. 

You could just not comment on my post instead of trying to actively crap on me for posting my experience on a different platform actively connected to this community. 

4 minutes ago, glunday said:

You could just not comment on my post instead of trying to actively crap on me for posting my experience on a different platform actively connected to this community. 

Sounds like you're trying to ban chinchilla from posting in your thread because you don't like what they're saying. seems a bit heavy handed to me....

Nothing they have said is "actively crapping on you", both posts are essentially saying "all the LMG community platforms are separate, Discord, Reddit, this forum, all run by different teams with different rules" and even to add onto this, i would say they are different communities, just because it's LTT related, doens't mean it's all the same.

Maybe i'm bias but the communities on the subreddit and discord are trash compared to here. i left the subreddit after 2 days, the discord after 5 days. and yet here i still am on this forum with 8.5k posts.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

It's not actively connected to this community. Starting to see why you were banned.

so your saying a community about LMG is not connected to another community about LMG? official or not the "officially recognized" part seems to actively connect it to the community as a whole to me.

This is the official LTT community. 

Whatever they do on discord is their business, but I'm the admin here and if you ever have a similar problem, you can DM me to sort it out. 

Welcome, and plz follow our rules 🙂

Oh wow I brain farted this so hard. It was supposed to say REDDIT.... not discord... 

58 minutes ago, glunday said:

I never solo'ed you out... if anything you called me ignorant and I just brushed it off. But now that you're actively bringing it up... "either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain".

37 minutes ago, glunday said:

so your saying a community about LMG is not connected to another community about LMG? official or not the "officially recognized" part seems to actively connect it to the community as a whole to me.

Put it this way... there is no mention of the Subreddit on Linus Media Group's website. The Forum and the Discord are the only communities they had committed resources to build up. And even though they committed resources to build up those two communities, they're still each managed by a completely different group of volunteers.

image.thumb.png.f67d6e657c92eb37025ab4453d72c8d2.png

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I never solo'ed you out... if anything you called me ignorant and I just brushed it off. But now that you're actively bringing it up... "either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain".

Put it this way... there is no mention of the Subreddit on Linus Media Group's website. The Forum and the Discord are the only communities they had committed resources to build up. 

image.thumb.png.f67d6e657c92eb37025ab4453d72c8d2.png

I apologize if you did not intend your responses as negative but they read that way to me and I replied in kind; its already been a bit of a day and I have received alot of hateful messages outside of the forum when all I was trying to do was point what I saw as a worrying trend. I did not expect something to be fixed by posting here I just posted here to share information.

Anyone using Reddit in 2022 deserves what they get for using Reddit in 2022.

Any time I hear the word “Reddit” in the real world I am conditioned at this point to urionically, physically cringe.

Not even the humorous “lol cringe” sort of reaction to harass someone, but the real immediate desire to leave, like I am in some form of discomfort being around that person.

I'm not commenting on whether or not you should have been banned for what you posted because it really isn't my place to say, but I think it would have likely been avoided if you had voiced your concerns in reply to the post you were addressing instead of starting a new post. The "State of the subreddit" post is currently open to comments and is currently pinned to the top of the subreddit. Since it's pinned I don't think it's necessary to create new posts to bring attention to it, and I could understand why creating posts like those could be perceived as trying to stir up drama and discourse. Again, I'm not saying that is the reason you were banned or if that justifies a ban - I'm not part of the Reddit moderation team so I can't comment on that - But from my outside observations I do think that likely played some part in it.

Regarding the section in that Reddit post about censoring posts critical of LMG, I know Linus has already addressed this on the WAN show but I can ensure you that LMG has always been receptive of criticism. I've never seen Linus or anybody else at LMG remove posts that have criticised them, and unless there are some other clear violations of the rules it's not something the moderation team removes either. I've made a few posts myself complaining about issues I've had with videos so being able to provide that criticism is something I personally value and respect.

That said, if there's 50 different posts discussing the same thing then we will try to consolidate that in to one discussion as best we can with as minimal disruption as possible. Looking at what is taking place on the reddit I believe that is what the moderator(s) are trying to do and they have assigned a 'megathread' for the warranty discussion that is still open, and it appears they are directing discussion to that post. It does help with regards to moderation as it makes it much easier to keep track of any potential issues, but really it just makes for a much more productive and healthy discussion. With 50 threads it often just ends up with the same people going over the same points and crossposting back and forth between threads, which makes the discussions extremely difficult to follow. You also don't want the entire subreddit overtaken by one topic as that just annoys everybody.

In the State of the subreddit post the moderator states that any new posts about the backpack issue will be removed, unless they are discussing new developments. I think the key there is that they don't want people continuing to make new threads about the issue. The "Megathread: Concerns about recent LTTStore.com shipping/pricing/warranty" they have for the backpack warranty discussion is still open to comments, and I'm sure they would be happy for you to continue the discussion in that topic. I think it probably would have been better for them to emphasise the point of "You can still discuss it but please do so here..." and direct people to the thread, as I can understand where you are coming from and why you would read that comment and be concerned they were shutting the discussion down entirely.

For what it's worth we get essentially zero complaints about the Reddit moderation team, so I'm sure the moderator(s) over there must be doing a pretty good job. If it is largely moderated by one person then that's even more impressive. To the Reddit moderator(s); keep up the good work. Much love ❤️

If you do still want to discuss the backpack warranty there are some discussions in the LTTstore Merch subforum you can check out. This one seems to be where most of the discussion has taken place, feel free to have a read through some of the comments or add your own opinions.

PS. Don't make a new Reddit account to bypass the ban, like somebody above suggested. That's an awful idea and you'll likely just end up banned from Reddit entirely. Your ban is temporary so just wait it out, you are welcome to discuss the backpack warranty issue on the forum in the meantime as long as you follow the rules. If you really feel that the ban was unjustified, or even if you feel it was justified but would still like to appeal the ban, I believe Reddit offers a way to appeal bans (I'm not sure if that applies to temp bans) so maybe try that.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

36 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I'm not commenting on whether or not you should have been banned for what you posted because it really isn't my place to say, but I think it would have likely been avoided if you had voiced your concerns in reply to the post you were addressing instead of starting a new post. The "State of the subreddit" post is currently open to comments and is currently pinned to the top of the subreddit. Since it's pinned I don't think it's necessary to create new posts to bring attention to it, and I could understand why creating posts like those could be perceived as trying to stir up drama and discourse. Again, I'm not saying that is the reason you were banned or if that justifies a ban - I'm not part of the Reddit moderation team so I can't comment on that - But from my outside observations I do think that likely played some part in it.

Regarding the section in that Reddit post about censoring posts critical of LMG, I know Linus has already addressed this on the WAN show but I can ensure you that LMG has always been receptive of criticism. I've never seen Linus or anybody else at LMG remove posts that have criticised them, and unless there are some other clear violations of the rules it's not something the moderation team removes either. I've made a few posts myself complaining about issues I've had with videos so being able to provide that criticism is something I personally value and respect.

That said, if there's 50 different posts discussing the same thing then we will try to consolidate that in to one discussion as best we can with as minimal disruption as possible. Looking at what is taking place on the reddit I believe that is what the moderator(s) are trying to do and they have assigned a 'megathread' for the warranty discussion that is still open, and it appears they are directing discussion to that post. It does help with regards to moderation as it makes it much easier to keep track of any potential issues, but really it just makes for a much more productive and healthy discussion. With 50 threads it often just ends up with the same people going over the same points and crossposting back and forth between threads, which makes the discussions extremely difficult to follow. You also don't want the entire subreddit overtaken by one topic as that just annoys everybody.

In the State of the subreddit post the moderator states that any new posts about the backpack issue will be removed, unless they are discussing new developments. I think the key there is that they don't want people continuing to make new threads about the issue. The "Megathread: Concerns about recent LTTStore.com shipping/pricing/warranty" they have for the backpack warranty discussion is still open to comments, and I'm sure they would be happy for you to continue the discussion in that topic. I think it probably would have been better for them to emphasise the point of "You can still discuss it but please do so here..." and direct people to the thread, as I can understand where you are coming from and why you would read that comment and be concerned they were shutting the discussion down entirely.

For what it's worth we get essentially zero complaints about the Reddit moderation team, so I'm sure the moderator(s) over there must be doing a pretty good job. If it is largely moderated by one person then that's even more impressive. To the Reddit moderator(s); keep up the good work. Much love ❤️

If you do still want to discuss the backpack warranty there are some discussions in the LTTstore Merch subforum you can check out. This one seems to be where most of the discussion has taken place, feel free to have a read through some of the comments or add your own opinions.

PS. Don't make a new Reddit account to bypass the ban, like somebody above suggested. That's an awful idea and you'll likely just end up banned from Reddit entirely. Your ban is temporary so just wait it out, you are welcome to discuss the backpack warranty issue on the forum in the meantime as long as you follow the rules. If you really feel that the ban was unjustified, or even if you feel it was justified but would still like to appeal the ban, I believe Reddit offers a way to appeal bans (I'm not sure if that applies to temp bans) so maybe try that.

I also replied in the comments of the post

Itself but as it discussed a lot of different things I thought it would be helpful to have a separate post, but I see how that could be seen as stiring the pot.

Didn't even know there was a megathread on it as it's not on my feed at all so knowing that helps and could be communicated better. My main concern is the Naomie Wu part (not the topic itself but how it's being handled), I also could not find a megathread for that but kept finding posts that seemed to have new information (at least to me) and they kept being taken down. That seems more like an issue then wanting to limit new posts about a topic. locking topics and pointing to the megathread would be a better alternative to outright deleting posts.

As far as LMG I didn't at any point think that they were or would condone silencing criticism at all, in fact from what I have seen it's been the opposite: that's part of why it seemed so importantant to share this with the rest of the LMG community to me because wether they had good intentions or not this gives a bad impression of LMG as a whole.

Honestly I don't care about any of the banned issues at all, from what I have seen they seem solved to me. All I cared about was heavyhanded moderation that could ultimately end up hurting the community. 

I know it's not official over there but that sub reddit is a public unofficial face of sorts for LMG discussion and if it seems like criticism against Linus or LMG is being silenced (even if it's not and just seems like it is) then that can blowback on the rest of the community.

Ultimately if it becomes a big enough problem Linus will probably just publicly pull support for the sub but that's definitely a nuclear scenario, I would rather the issue be nipped in the bud now and if posting it to the forum gets some extra visibility on the issue that's all I wanted.

4 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Start a new account.

Rather don't. Thats worst decision to make on any ban ever. Most bans are not permanent, even if the dictation says so. Most can be appealed and removed. But as soon as ban is not respected for the effect it should give, as in going around it by new account, it will remove any respect towards user the moderation might have had. Any avenues of pleading or appealing ban will be removed and main account as well as any alts are really perma-banned. This applies to all communities I've been part of or have heard of. Ban is tool to give final chance, don't disrespect it.

1 hour ago, glunday said:

As far as LMG I didn't at any point think that they were or would condone silencing criticism at all, in fact from what I have seen it's been the opposite: that's part of why it seemed so importantant to share this with the rest of the LMG community to me because wether they had good intentions or not this gives a bad impression of LMG as a whole.

But the problem really is that moderation of different communities is handled by mainly different people, and most aren't controlled or endorsed by LMG. So as seen in Reddit, it might be controlled by die-hard fans who have one opinion only, theirs. Here, none of the moderators is die-hard Linus fan. Which is why you see us criticizing him actively, keeping discussions alive as long as they stay civil towards LMG staff and other member of the forums (harassment is not criticism!)

The subreddit is pretty much non-existant to me. It gets occasionally mentioned on the forums, and shown in LMG videos very rarely, usually as some of the staff is seen browsing it. So would greater part of community care of its downfall? Probably not.

I know it's not official over there but that sub reddit is a public unofficial face of sorts for LMG discussion and if it seems like criticism against Linus or LMG is being silenced (even if it's not and just seems like it is) then that can blowback on the rest of the community.

Thats bit twisted way of seeing things. Just because something of any subject is discussed somewhere, doesn't make it "face" of the subject discussed. Say you discuss LMG things at your school/workplace and get slapped by teachers/boss about it. Should Linus send email to them telling its ok to criticize him? The discussion is happening in public and with your logic is "face" for him. So the entity that has no ties to LMG not allowing discussion on LMG is hurting them? Not really how things work.

Ultimately if it becomes a big enough problem Linus will probably just publicly pull support for the sub but that's definitely a nuclear scenario, I would rather the issue be nipped in the bud now and if posting it to the forum gets some extra visibility on the issue that's all I wanted.

Support he never has even given them?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I know the Subreddit is not run by LMG, and they don't promote it.

However, this is not the case with the WAN Show. While LMG refuses to step in, and even allows transphobia to go on there by the mods (multiple attempts were made to get @jakkuh_t or @LinusTech involved), they still promote it to this very day.

If they can't be bothered to do anything there, at least stop promoting it, because they absolutely make it seem like it's still an LMG run channel.

Screenshot_20220814-130309.thumb.jpg.75411ea3ef696228b60cbeb2231df5ca.jpg

2 hours ago, Neroon said:

I know the Subreddit is not run by LMG, and they don't promote it.

However, this is not the case with the WAN Show. While LMG refuses to step in, and even allows transphobia to go on there by the mods (multiple attempts were made to get @jakkuh_t or @LinusTech involved), they still promote it to this very day.

If they can't be bothered to do anything there, at least stop promoting it, because they absolutely make it seem like it's still an LMG run channel.

Linus goofed earlier and accidentally said Discord when he meant Reddit. The only 2 official communities LMG operates are Discord and the Forums. Anything else is unofficial and not affiliated with LMG/LTT in any way. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

The only 2 official communities LMG operates are Discord and the Forums.

This should be expanded to say that only 4 communities where LMG does somewhat oversee moderation are MC, forums, Discord and Twitch. IIRC from non-public sources.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, glunday said:

I made a post on R/LinusTechTips after reading the State of the Subreddit post, I thought it was very heavy handed to be banning topics that are directly relevant to LMG and a slippery slope; so I made a post to see how the community felt about it. Looks like thats enough to get my post deleted and banned. Guess the opinions of those that think its to heavy handed dont matter.

You do realize that literally every moderated subreddit will ban you for posting about how the moderators suck, right?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Linus goofed earlier and accidentally said Discord when he meant Reddit. The only 2 official communities LMG operates are Discord and the Forums. Anything else is unofficial and not affiliated with LMG/LTT in any way. 

I saw he goofed up before I posted, but I wasn't referring to that. My point was that the Discord is promoted by LMG, yet they don't bother to actually moderate it properly, instead afaik it's more like the wild west.

So the whole argument that LMG is not responsible for the subreddit is true, because they don't run it. But even when they claim to run something, they still don't. So my point is that they need to be consistent, either they run the Discord and promote it, or they stop promoting it and only call it like a 'fan' channel.