YouTube Tutorial Bricked My Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,

Well, each accident ends up with something positive : replace your trash DS3H mobo with something that's worth your 5900X 😛

I want to sue YouTube for my Bricked motherboard. I was watching a tutorial on YouTube for enabling TPM 2.0 and installing Windows 11 on a Gigabyte B450m DS3H board.

I wanted to upgrade to Windows 11 on my PC, but the setup kept telling me my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements. The guy in tutorial changed the TPM setting to enable and also changed secure boot platform key settings, so I followed the steps and behold, my motherboard is now bricked!

I wish I could've seen the dislikes on that tutorial or read the description before attempt.

Tell me how do I reach YouTube to get my motherboard's worth of money back or you guys give me good motherboard recommendations for micro ATX form factor pc.

My current PC specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce AMD RX580 8GB OC

Cooler: Silverstone PF 240mm AIO ARGB

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (8x4) DDR4 3000Mhz

Storage: Crucial P2 500GB m.2 nvme SSD, WD Green 240GB Sata SSD

PSU: Corsair RM1000X

Case: Silverstone Fara H1M

1 minute ago, keshavcolonel said:

I want to sue YouTube for my Bricked motherboard.

You can't, at least not successfully. People have done much more destructive things than ruin a computer part because they were following what they saw on YouTube and YouTube still can't be held responsible for it. YouTube does not and cannot police the accuracy of "advice" provided on their platform for free, and no guarantees or warranties are expressed or implied. You follow any advice you get there at your own risk. Same would go for recommendations you get on this forum - if something goes wrong, you can't sue LMG. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

This is an irritating and immature outlook. First of all, obviously the problem stems mainly from the content, if that is what caused the issue in the first place.

Of course I'd argue it wasn't, because there are a number of things you need to do before you confirm that your motherboard is "bricked". Have you checked the manual for your motherboard on how to reset the BIOS? Have you tried any recovery steps that would typically get the system to post?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If you guys don't believe me, then watch this tutorial 

How is your motherboard "bricked" from enabling TPM? Did you clear CMOS or try any steps to recover? What steps did you do that lead to it being bricked?

Also you're not going to sue anyone for something you did without doing due diligence to see its impact, blindly following a tutorial is your fault nobody else's.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Good luck with that.

Try unplugging your PC from the wall and removing the coin cell battery from its holder on the motherboard, then leaving it for 10-15 minutes. Once that time's up, put the battery back in, plug it back in, and try powering it up. That should clear all BIOS user settings back to the factory defaults. Unless you did something like flash a "patched" or "unofficial" BIOS, that should revive a soft-bricked PC.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

This is an irritating and immature outlook. First of all, obviously the problem stems mainly from the content, if that is what caused the issue in the first place.

Of course I'd argue it wasn't, because there are a number of things you need to do before you confirm that your motherboard is "bricked". Have you checked the manual for your motherboard on how to reset the BIOS? Have you tried any recovery steps that would typically get the system to post?

I've tried every possible methods but there is no post on my PC. I've removed ram, changed ram and tried different slots, removed the CMOS battery and reseated it. I've also removed GPU and reseated it just in case. I've also changed monitors and their hdmi, display port cables. There is no post on screen. The RGBs in AIO lights up, but keyboard numlock won't light up. There is no signal from motherboard.

48 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

I'm sorry, but I stopped right here. I can't help you beyond saying that if you plan to sue YouTube, good luck. If someone shows you the best way to burn down a house then you go out and burn your own house down by giving it a try, you don't get to sue them either.

Have you tried resetting CMOS? Pulling the CMOS battery? Anything else that will definitely fix it? It's really, really hard to get a motherboard to let you brick it in the stock BIOS. If you have done so, I mean, good thing it's Prime Day.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

10 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Good luck with that.

Try unplugging your PC from the wall and removing the coin cell battery from its holder on the motherboard, then leaving it for 10-15 minutes. Once that time's up, put the battery back in, plug it back in, and try powering it up. That should clear all BIOS user settings back to the factory defaults. Unless you did something like flash a "patched" or "unofficial" BIOS, that should revive a soft-bricked PC.

I simply updated the platform key under the secure boot menu in bios as mentioned in that tutorial then suddenly my screen went black and there was no signal afterwards. I tried all the possible methods and now waiting for a miracle to un-brick my motherboard.

Well, each accident ends up with something positive : replace your trash DS3H mobo with something that's worth your 5900X 😛

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Cant you go back into BIOS and do a reset to default settings?

Unless it was a failed BIOS flash, I have no idea what can you do to a motherboard in settings to brick it, assuming you didnt overclock anything drastically.

A couple things I've noticed 20 seconds into the video.

image.png.55de9bb07e5280747ce2b23c78a9a6d5.png

And why would you have to use Rufus to make a W11 installer? Windows has the download to create that on their site. Not through Rufus. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

A couple things I've noticed 20 seconds into the video.

image.png.55de9bb07e5280747ce2b23c78a9a6d5.png

And why would you have to use Rufus to make a W11 installer? Windows has the download to create that on their site. Not through Rufus. 

As I've mentioned before, i didn't read his description during the attempted bios settings tweak. I noticed the description just a couple of seconds before my bios screen turned black and no signal appeared on my monitor.

Just now, keshavcolonel said:

As I've mentioned before, i didn't read his description during the attempted bios settings tweak.

Sorry, still your fault. You can't even claim your stuff was damaged by following his instructions, your stuff broke while you were explicitly not following them because he told you not to use this method on your board. 

I understand you're frustrated, but take it as a learning experience and move on. Your exact model of board costs all of $65 on Newegg right now. Consider it a sign it's time for an upgrade. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

10 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

That's a positive i can get from this disaster

16 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

That's a positive i can get from this disaster

Yeah ! 

I still wonder why you wanted so bad getting that W11 TPM crap, on my rig that's perfectly compatible I took care of *never* install that ! 😂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

35 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

rufus actually is valid, the media creation tool is trash. it's often more reliable to make a windows installer using rufus and a .iso if you know what you're doing. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

rufus actually is valid, the media creation tool is trash. it's often more reliable to make a windows installer using rufus and a .iso if you know what you're doing. 

I know what I'm doing.

I will never, ever, recommend the people i'm helping in the LTT Discord use Rufus to make a bootable Windows installer. You really have to play to your audience when you're help extremely technically illiterate people and the Rufus interface is an absolute UX disaster. Understanding who you're talking to and how much effort will be required to exert on your part when answering questions is a skill many lack. 

Meanwhile, put in the USB stick and click next in the MCT and boom, their done. Little prompting maybe with a one or two questions it asks. 

I'll die on this hill. I've personally used both extensively and the main Rufus menu might as well be in Greek to some of these people. In fact I think I had someone tell me that specifically.

39 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

Will you be watching Youtube reviews to choose your next motherboard?

Never. Unless, the youtuber is trusted and verified like our LTT, GamersNexus, JayZ2cents, Hardware unboxed etc.

That tutorial did everything right it seems from a quick look at it

You just need to reset the bios to stock settings.

You need to remove this battery from the motherboard

image.png.0194e06b811d1650cab36346d59fd2a3.png

then you need to unplug the power supply from the wall

now wait for about 5-10 minutes, and go back to your pc
plug it back in, and put the battery back.
It should boot

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

How about Ventoy?

I will say, ventoy is the easiest option, just run the exe, press install, it takes like 2 seconds, and put the iso in the usb drive

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

How about Ventoy?

I kinda feel like I derailed the topic a little too much already with that rant but for me, i'll just stick to the official tool with an easy to follow wizard. It just reliably works every time with little intervention needed. 

Again that was when helping others through discord and the like. Personal use, yeah all these other programs work fine. 

*edit*

Its about the simplest solution to the specific problem. 95% of the time its someone who's got no idea about anything computer related and they just spent an entire weekend on the struggle bus putting this PC together, probably asking where to plug each cable in along the way. 

They get to the end and then start asking about Windows and.. being able to just point them to an official MS page to download the the tool and put in a USB stick is as easy as it gets. 

Ventoy for example, the website is a little basic, going to downloads takes you to Github (scary for these people), no clear and specific Download button, you need to direct them to the specific Windows installer.. THEN you need to explain extracting ZIP files. 

These are all extremely basic things we all take for granted but these are massive hurdles when doing remote tech support that need to be taken into account. 

3 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

That tutorial did everything right it seems from a quick look at it

You just need to reset the bios to stock settings.

You need to remove this battery from the motherboard

image.png.0194e06b811d1650cab36346d59fd2a3.png

then you need to unplug the power supply from the wall

now wait for about 5-10 minutes, and go back to your pc
plug it back in, and put the battery back.
It should boot

I've only changed that platform key setting in the secure boot after disabling csm option in bios. Will CMOS battery trick restore all bios settings? For now I've unplugged everything from motherboard except the nvme storage and cpu. I'll wait for couple of hours before plugging everything back.