YouTube Tutorial Bricked My Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,

Well, each accident ends up with something positive : replace your trash DS3H mobo with something that's worth your 5900X 😛

3 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

I've only changed that platform key setting in the secure boot after disabling csm option in bios. Will CMOS battery trick restore all bios settings? For now I've unplugged everything from motherboard except the nvme storage and cpu. I'll wait for couple of hours before plugging everything back.

It should, it resets all the settings to the settings you would have right after you bought the motherboards

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I kinda feel like I derailed the topic a little too much already with that rant but for me, i'll just stick to the official tool with an easy to follow wizard. It just reliably works every time with little intervention needed. 

Again that was when helping others through discord and the like. Personal use, yeah all these other programs work fine. 

*edit*

Its about the simplest solution to the specific problem. 95% of the time its someone who's got no idea about anything computer related and they just spent an entire weekend on the struggle bus putting this PC together, probably asking where to plug each cable in along the way. 

They get to the end and then start asking about Windows and.. being able to just point them to an official MS page to download the the tool and put in a USB stick is as easy as it gets. 

Windows 11 installation sucks. First it nags about tpm and system requirements. Then it requires a internet connection. Also there are so many options one must uncheck to prevent unwanted data sharing to microsoft. I guess I will roll back to windows 10 once i get my pc up and running.

2 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

Windows 11 installation sucks. First it nags about tpm and system requirements. Then it requires a internet connection. Also there are so many options one must uncheck to prevent unwanted data sharing to microsoft. I guess I will roll back to windows 10 once i get my pc up and running.

Well, those are certainly personal issues you have. I don't have those issues and its been fine for me on multiple systems. 

17 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I know what I'm doing.

I will never, ever, recommend the people i'm helping in the LTT Discord use Rufus to make a bootable Windows installer. You really have to play to your audience when you're help extremely technically illiterate people and the Rufus interface is an absolute UX disaster. Understanding who you're talking to and how much effort will be required to exert on your part when answering questions is a skill many lack. 

Meanwhile, put in the USB stick and click next in the MCT and boom, their done. Little prompting maybe with a one or two questions it asks. 

I'll die on this hill. I've personally used both extensively and the main Rufus menu might as well be in Greek to some of these people. In fact I think I had someone tell me that specifically.

+1. Media Creation Tool "just works". I've never had it spit out a non-working flash drive.

Sometimes I feel like some tech enthusiasts snub their noses at tools like Media Creation Tool and Etcher and write them off as "not advanced enough" because they don't have a bunch of interface greebles to play with, like tick boxes and drop menus for every possible setting. (Because as we all know, complicated = advanced = powerful.)

MCT and my old-ass copy of Etcher get the job done for me most every time.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

38 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I will never, ever, recommend the people i'm helping in the LTT Discord use Rufus to make a bootable Windows installer. You really have to play to your audience when you're help extremely technically illiterate people and the Rufus interface is an absolute UX disaster. Understanding who you're talking to and how much effort will be required to exert on your part when answering questions is a skill many lack. 

i didn't say it's the best tool for completely illiterate people. however, i think you can recommend it in a video or written tutorial if you post screenshots of what to do. 

regardless you have to agree with me that it's more reliable than the MCT, even though it has a UI from 1992

She/Her

14 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

if this is your view why did you want Windows 11 to begin with? doesn't make sense to me... 

She/Her

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

A couple things I've noticed 20 seconds into the video.

image.png.55de9bb07e5280747ce2b23c78a9a6d5.png

And why would you have to use Rufus to make a W11 installer? Windows has the download to create that on their site. Not through Rufus. 

oh rufus allow you to customize your windows install, like disabling tmp 2.0 check or the microsoft account requirement

Just now, Natsukashii said:

oh rufus allow you to customize your windows install, like disabling tmp 2.0 check or the microsoft account requirement

it does? that's really cool, i didn't know that. very pog

She/Her

yeah, mediacreation tool is fine and for my main computer I used it but for officially unsupported hardware it can be a good alternative, i wouldn't recommend it to tech illiterate tho as ppl said here, its interface is kind of shit.

23 minutes ago, keshavcolonel said:

Why did you try to upgrade to 11 at all? I'm staying on 10 until Microsoft releases Windows 12. Windows releases are like the original six Star Trek movies. Every other one sucks. Windows 11 is like Star Trek V.

14 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

+1. Media Creation Tool "just works". I've never had it spit out a non-working flash drive.

Same here.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, keshavcolonel said:

w11 doesnt nag if you have them on
windows 10 naggs a lot if you dont have internet when you installk
and w10 has all the same checkboxes to tick

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Why did you try to upgrade to 11 at all? I'm staying on 10 until Microsoft releases Windows 12. Windows releases are like the original six Star Trek movies. Every other one sucks. Windows 11 is like Star Trek V.

Same here.

w11 definitely doesnt suck
its just as mediocre as windows 10 honestly

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

w11 definitely doesnt suck
its just as mediocre as windows 10 honestly

Pretty sure every release of windows is bad, but then about a year or so after it's release it's perfectly usable, contrary to what some people may say, but those people are still on W7 and probably haven't used W10 since it first came out.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, keshavcolonel said:

If you guys don't believe me, then watch this tutorial 

absolutely nothing there would brick the board.

At least nothing beyond what a clearing the CMOS would fix.

14 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Pretty sure every release of windows is bad, but then about a year or so after it's release it's perfectly usable, contrary to what some people may say, but those people are still on W7 and probably haven't used W10 since it first came out.

I like 11 more in these first couple of months than i ever did Windows 10 in the first couple of months.  But i hated the start menu in 10 also.  even after years of using 10 i was always using Openshell with it.  Haven't felt the need to with 11 and i even like all my icons in the middle of the taskbar too

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

6 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

A couple things I've noticed 20 seconds into the video.

image.png.55de9bb07e5280747ce2b23c78a9a6d5.png

And why would you have to use Rufus to make a W11 installer? Windows has the download to create that on their site. Not through Rufus. 

Rufus does have a feature to disable hardware requirements in the Windows 11 installer. I've for example tried installing Windows 11 on a Pentium D system by making the install media with Rufus... and while it did allow me to "install" Windows. Can't say it ever booted into Windows. It just sort sat there spinning for about half an hour until I called it off. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Update to the situation: I need an AMD APU to post into bios. This soft brick thing somehow disabled the pci slots and it won't post unless you have a cpu with integrated GPU. After this, I'm never ever gonna play into bios.

Since I don't have an APU with me, I officially declare this motherboard bricked. Now I want to buy a good motherboard mATX with many m.2 and sata ports. Is there any good X570 boards out there in mATX form factor?

Final update: it has been decided that I am going to get a new motherboard (B550 probably) and keep the old one as a retro tech collection.

1 hour ago, keshavcolonel said:

Update to the situation: I need an AMD APU to post into bios. This soft brick thing somehow disabled the pci slots and it won't post unless you have a cpu with integrated GPU. After this, I'm never ever gonna play into bios.

Since I don't have an APU with me, I officially declare this motherboard bricked. Now I want to buy a good motherboard mATX with many m.2 and sata ports. Is there any good X570 boards out there in mATX form factor?

A cmos clear should fix any pcie slot disabling
i suspect that theres something you did wrong honestly, either you did something in the bios on accident, or you didnt do something right with the cmos clear

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

A cmos clear should fix any pcie slot disabling
i suspect that theres something you did wrong honestly, either you did something in the bios on accident, or you didnt do something right with the cmos clear

I actually unplugged my cmos battery for 5 hours then reseated it. My pc was also not connected to wall and i ensured that there's no electricity left in the board. The only thing I didn't try is to jump the circuit using screw driver. But anyways, I'm tired and now on my way to get a B550 board for my 5900X.

14 hours ago, Middcore said:

People have done much more destructive things than ruin a computer part because they were following what they saw on YouTube and YouTube still can't be held responsible for it.

Hell, there are even quite a few deaths caused by YouTube videos (with the most recent one being fractal woodburning) and YouTube is doing nothing about it. Hell, it even removed one video explaining why is it so dangerous.

22 hours ago, keshavcolonel said:

Never. Unless, the youtuber is trusted and verified like our LTT, GamersNexus, JayZ2cents, Hardware unboxed etc.

Get a good B550 boards, there's a vid from Hardware Unboxed  on it 🙂 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones