Germany: Right to "fast" internet law has gone into effect.

Senzelian
1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

That is absolutely not allowed. If there's a contract with Vodafone, then they need to obey that contract. If there's a defect, they need to get it repaired. If they're not allowed to repair it, then they need to make sure that whoever owns it repairs it. It's that easy. I would've complained to the consumer protection agency.

Sadly i couldn't do anything about it. I only got wind of all that after my mother (who is the contractual partner with the internet provider) already entered the new contract with Telekom. At that point it was already too late and all they said was that she knew the terms and agreed to the contract when i called them about all that BS after the fact.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher.

I think gTranslate might be having a stroke, unless this is what actually what it means:

image.thumb.png.412a9d9b741e5d221c8f230ce04414ea.png

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

8 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

I think gTranslate might be having a stroke, unless this is what actually what it means:

That is honestly pretty good.
But honestly such a word makes no sense. What this referes to is a device that cuts an egg open.

But a "Sollbruchstelle" is a part of an item that is supposed to break in case of severe stress, to make sure it doesn't cause any additional damage.

I guess you call that a "breaking point".

On capacitors you can clearly see that breaking point in form of thin engraved lines on top of the cap:
Sollbruchstelle – Wikipedia

So the word really makes no sense.

17 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Deepl got you covered:

image.thumb.png.eb3fc8556fff607bae9f4b22ff0607ee.png

10MB/s down and 1.7MB/s up isn't a lot and I think the German gov't knows, but they're playing ignorance here. IMHO there just using this "upgrade" as a tactic into forcing the ISP to upgrade their equipments, so that in the future consumers can actually get fast internet, if another ISP is in the area or the current ISP decides to offer better speeds.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

That's suprisingly accurate.

If you're interested enough to google it a short tutorial in broken english might be what you need next: (as a bonus you can hear what the word actually sounds like)

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

But honestly such a word makes no sense. What this referes to is a device that cuts an egg open.

But that's actually what it's called 😄

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Meh, the German government is the only one to blame here. Govs should stop using public money to fund private businesses. It never ends well.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

39 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Meh, the German government is the only one to blame here. Govs should stop using public money to fund private businesses. It never ends well.

The German Telekom was part of the German postal service many many years ago and the postal service was a government run entity.

The German postal service is the prime example of it working out well. They went private, bought DHL and created the largest logistics company on the planet. 

The German Telekom also went private and well... I mean they're also a massive company but they are assholes. Massive assholes. 

A lot of ISPs are also working to create a better infrastructure with the help of the government, but that would replace the infrastructure that belongs to the Telekom and so of course they are trying to stop them as best as they can. It's competition... But competition that doesn't favor the consumer and that is something the government can't really do anything about because of all the mistakes that were made in the past. Vectoring for example. 

12 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I don't know anyone living in Germany and NOT having access to much faster connections. Just another law to exist because of reasons.

I know people in Germany that don't even get 10mbit and they live in the Rhein-Main area... . So I can imagine how some people in more rural areas like Mecklenburg, Pfalz or so have to deal with even lower speeds.

11 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Germans literally just mashing words together trying to outdo their latin ancestors while simultaneously breaking records for longest words. 

German isn't an italic language so from the linguistic point Latin isn't a predecessor of German.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

Out of experience in Finland where same kind of project has been ongoing for closer to a decade now with even bump in the speed (from 10Mbit to 100Mbit): Read the small prints very carefully and multiple times.

At least here "everyone" meant "everyone who wants and is ready to pay", like pretty much always seems to be the case with these kinds of things. Government gave in and operators have 6 month exclusivity to areas they are building before and even then the rest of them need to pull in their own coppers or glasses to the ground. This has meant the fiber network and cable network have spread to cover a lot of area but the prices are just terrible.

For example my parents live around couple clicks from major city and couple years ago they build fiber network to the area and everyone had possibility to get fiber connection for "decreased" price of only around 1500€ installation and 40-50€/month for the connection and "free choosing" (from the fiber operators partners) for the operator which will deliver the connection and their monthly fees (around 30-150€/month), so 1500€ right now and afterwards 70-200€/month for 100Mbit-1Gbit connection, for comparison I live in an apartment with condominium cable connection and I pay 9,99€/month for 100Mbit connection. In the end I had pretty much open budget to get 4G connection and upgrade my parents house network and their 4G connection (I don't remember do they have 200 or 300 Mbit) costs just around 30€/month. Now after couple years the backbone has probably opened fully and there has been actually very good offers for fiber connections with the latest being free installation and internet belongs to the fiber fee which was around 40-50€/month, so waiting is pretty good tactic.

There has been rumors and news about the prices in more rural areas and they are way in the territory of "sell your house for internet" as in tens of thousands for installation isn't rare or even the highest prices. So the government ended up bending and changing the wording of the law so mobile connections do count in and now we have 99% coverage with 4G and 5G being already around 50% of the population.

21 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Completely off-topic, but my favourite German word is Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher.

What in the god damn fuck (Deadpool Edit) by Spooky-Kitteh on DeviantArt

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25