AMD have improved performance with OpenGL up to 55%.

Unedited_Mind

Summary

So for anyone in the know, when we describe AMD's performance with OpenGL we are met with "Just use Vulkan", this however dismisses games such as Wolfenstein: The New Order or anyone wanting to do PS2 emulation with the most accurate emulation, since PCSX2 now relies heavily on OpenGL.

Unigine-Heaven-UWP.jpg

fEdFvTP7yAScwDNvik5RC5-970-80.png

Quotes

After giving a major performance boost in the DirectX 11 API, AMD seems to be gearing up to deliver a similar boost to OpenGL applications with the upcoming Windows 11 22H2 GPU driver aimed at Radeon graphics solutions.

My thoughts

I personally I am ecstatic that I can now consider buying Radeon again because for the money they are often better value and if it means solid performance in PCSX2 and games that use OpenGL, I am much more pushed to consider team red now.

Sources

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-gpus-opengl-windows-11-22h2-drivers-signficant-graphics-performance-boost/

Cash Dump: 5800X. 32GB Ram. x570 motherboard. RTX 3070. 1440P screen.

Parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RJhfPX

shame they gave up on updating the r9 290, this would have been nice to have as a free boost

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

Might just try Dolphin again. Ran "mostly" smoothly before on my 480, excited to see if it improves to happily playable

16 minutes ago, StephanTW said:

shame they gave up on updating the r9 290, this would have been nice to have as a free boost

I weirdly miss the 2xx series Radeon cards. For no real reason, I just liked them.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

29 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I weirdly miss the 2xx series Radeon cards. For no real reason, I just liked them.

The 290 Sapphire Vapor X blue. I got it used and eventually sold it but still one of my favorite cards. Matter of fact I know I've brought this up before on this forum.

1 hour ago, Unedited_Mind said:

since PCSX2 now relies heavily on OpenGL

Besides the DX11 backend that has been there for years, PCSX2 has recently gotten both a DX12 and Vulkan renderer.

29 minutes ago, BachChain said:

Besides the DX11 backend that has been there for years, PCSX2 has recently gotten both a DX12 and Vulkan renderer.

Not officially. No release.

https://pcsx2.net/

And by the way the DX11 backend is inferior to the OpenGL one.

Cash Dump: 5800X. 32GB Ram. x570 motherboard. RTX 3070. 1440P screen.

Parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RJhfPX

31 minutes ago, Unedited_Mind said:

Not officially. No release.

You really shouldn't use stable releases. Not only are they years out of date, but they tend to be less - uhh - stable. Dolphin stopped doing them entirely when they realized it wasn't worth the effort.

5 hours ago, Orcblood said:

The 290 Sapphire Vapor X blue. I got it used and eventually sold it but still one of my favorite cards. Matter of fact I know I've brought this up before on this forum.

That was a beautiful card. Sapphire had some special ones, pity they never made Nvidia cards.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

7 hours ago, Unedited_Mind said:

Unigine-Heaven-UWP.jpg

What am i looking at here? After the "55%" improvement in OpenGL, Radeon OpenGL performance is 70% behind DX11? Wut?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

9 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

What am i looking at here? After the "55%" improvement in OpenGL, Radeon OpenGL performance is 70% behind DX11? Wut?

It seems like they forgot to post the other images:

Unigine Valley:

Spoiler

Before

unigine-valley-22-5-2

After

unigine-valley-uwp

Unigine Superposition:

Spoiler

Before

unigine-superposition-22-5-2

After

unigine-superposition-uwp

Unigine Heaven(apparently had a performance regression):

Spoiler

Before

unigine-heaven-22-5-2

After

unigine-heaven-uwp

I have tried these drivers, Valley went from 90fps to 107fps on my 5700XT, and Wolfenstein new order was smoother than the older drivers, still capped at 60fps. 

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

10 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That was a beautiful card. Sapphire had some special ones, pity they never made Nvidia cards.

I'm still sad they don't make vapor x models anymore. Their current lineup is decent, but I really liked their 200 series designs.

4 hours ago, Unedited_Mind said:

It seems people don't know what links are too which was provided.

Well it would be more useful to provide before and after of the same test and graphics API with the performance increase being talked about 🤷‍♂️

Decades late, and old cards are not even get the performance benefit because they were dropped from drivers updates.

21 hours ago, StephanTW said:

Doesn't the 290 have a super similar architecture as the 300 series? Couldn't you use the same fix for both?

I mean cool though.

I still hope we see games with DX12/Vulkan only, so many devs slack.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

44 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Doesn't the 290 have a super similar architecture as the 300 series? Couldn't you use the same fix for both?

Not similar, near the exact same. R9 300 series were just refreshes of the R9 200 series. Only real noteworthy change was the 380/380X got bumped from GCN1 to GCN3, otherwise everything else stayed mostly the same like the 390 & 290 cards were both still GCN2.

59 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Not similar, near the exact same. R9 300 series were just refreshes of the R9 200 series. Only real noteworthy change was the 380/380X got bumped from GCN1 to GCN3, otherwise everything else stayed mostly the same like the 390 & 290 cards were both still GCN2.

Then wouldn't they be able to easily make this fix for the r9 290 as well?

30 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I don't know, can the new driver not actually be installed with a 290? I still have my 290's but too lazy to try lol

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I don't know, can the new driver not actually be installed with a 290? I still have my 290's but too lazy to try lol

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Wasn't it possible for 290 to be able to be flashed with 390 Bios? Or was that some other set of AMD cards? 390 -> 390x? 290 -> 290x? or 480 -> 580? I can't believe I forgot.