Could the human body "water" cool a pc hypothetically?

*I don't know whether this belongs on the cooling section or not because its not a serious question 

So I was thinking that the human body if you think about it is just a glorified water loop with the heart/pulses being the pumps and veins being the loop, so I was wondering if hypothetically if someone was to hold there hands against a cpu with thermal paste applied imbeetween would it cool a pc, obviously ignoring burn pains and the obvious ethical issues would it cool a pc or atleast keep it in usable range before the system restarts, disregarding thermal throttling

as the skin burns I think a callous would form and the skin would thicken, reducing thermal transfer. Kind of morbid, don't go cooking someone's skin for your PC!

but maybe it will smell like bacon...

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Also, you don't want certain proteins in our body to reach 42 or above (I think....that was the temperature). I don't know too much about this, but this is basically why high fevers are so dangerous. 

It is kinda like cooking an egg in your blood (super oversimplified) and now you have chunks floating in your veins that eventually will cause a stroke or something along those lines. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

If it's holding the cpu's IHS's you'd get burns. You skin doesn't conduct heat as well as you think.

Plus, you can 100% boot a PC without a heatsink just to see if it works, no need to hold the IHS to "dissipate" the heat...

And if we're hooking a human to a watercooling loop... Well, for one thing, the human would die (no water, just blood from your own body going through the loop).

Bodies are regulated at very precises temperatures, plugging yourself up to a loop is just asking to get that blood temperature in the 40+ and then you're pretty much fcked. This is not even including the small molecules of junk that may be in the loop that's not floating in your bloodstream.

But technically, the heart, as a muscle, could work as a pump, yes. But... Not that good of a pump. Since it's more of a dosing/metering pump (at set intervals) and not a pump that's constantly pumping away at a quick pace like a centrifugal one. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

No, you should take a biology class.

However, if your hand was made of copper and your veins were at least 5/16" id and your heart was an impeller capable of continuous flow and your body was made of cooling fins then it would be possible. 

I like this question, as it actually makes a bit of sense.

The body is able to produce and dissipate a huge amount of heat. For example, when you go for a run, in 1 hour you'll burn almost 1000 kcal. 1 kcal equals 1.16 Wh. So that means in 1 hour you generate over 1 KWh of heat, for an average power of over 1 kW. That's more than two 3090 TIs. Or about the same heat as a space heater. And your body can maintain its temperature during all of that.

The problem then with your suggested application, is that this power is not concentrated in one part of your body. Your legs are working, your heart is pumping, your core is being exercised. Your body is quite efficient at removing internal heat, because it's the internal temperature it has to regulate. Putting hundreds of watts on your skin would insulate this heat from your internal organs, and instead of being transferred and dissipated, it would just burn your skin.

I don't think you could.  To transfer the heat from a PC into your body you'd also be decreasing the surface area available to dissipate the heat.  Think: getting into a bath-tub and having the water circulate in a watercooling loop.  My instinct is telling me the water would keep getting hotter and hotter and your head alone wouldn't be able to sweat enough to compete.  I'm sure someone has made a surface area evaporation vs. heat load calculator but I don't have time to look at it.

It'd be a mildly entertaining LTT video idea but I suspect you'd need a very low power build that would effectively be better off passively cooled anyways.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

17 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

So that means in 1 hour you generate over 1 KWh of heat

Nah, you generate over 1 KWh of energy. A good rule of thumb is jumping as high as you can uses about 750 watts of power during the jump part. But there is an easier way of looking at it. The "average" heart can move about 5 litres a minute, if we assume ~ 4200J/L/°C and only allow for a 1°C rise in temperature (something that can easily be dissipated by a human) we end up with 21000J/Min or 350J/s (watts), so anything under a 350w TDP would be fine (using the 1°C rise as a model). If you look at the surface area of your skin, and add sweating to the mix, you can dissipate a lot of heat, in fact the "average" person in modern clothing inside a house at 20°C emits about 100w of heat just by existing.

But beyond that, if we can just assume an 80kg person, heating that by 1 degree would take a 350w TDP processor 16 minutes, so even without dissipation, you could mine monero for ~25% of the time 😛

1 hour ago, Louiespitfire said:

*I don't know whether this belongs on the cooling section or not because its not a serious question 

So I was thinking that the human body if you think about it is just a glorified water loop with the heart/pulses being the pumps and veins being the loop, so I was wondering if hypothetically if someone was to hold there hands against a cpu with thermal paste applied imbeetween would it cool a pc, obviously ignoring burn pains and the obvious ethical issues would it cool a pc or atleast keep it in usable range before the system restarts, disregarding thermal throttling

That part turns a silly question into complete nonsense. That's not how skin works.

If you want to even remotely discuss this you should talk about maybe hooking a waterblock tube into your veins.

I /have/ burned a print of a CPU onto my finger before.

No you're not watercooling with a human body.

Your skin will not be able to withstand those temperatures. Your body won't be able to dissipate the added heat effectively.

Messing with your internal temperature will not end well. Not to mention the damage to the skin and the underlying tissue.

How could grabbing a piece of metal that's almost hot enough to boil water at sea level possibly go wrong?

(Many ways. Don't do something that boneheaded.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 5/31/2022 at 3:44 PM, Louiespitfire said:

The body is above ambient, so would perform worse than an air cooler. 

On 5/31/2022 at 7:17 PM, danomicar said:

Oh looky here, man-made (hypothetical) horrors beyond my comprehension.

Coming in 2030. The Razer HumanCentiCooler. Now with integrated RGB!

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, SkenderTV said:

The body is above ambient, so would perform worse than an air cooler. 

Probably not the best calculation set to use.
Sure, the human body is around 10C above "room temperature" but the inside of a computer case is often hotter than that still.
Even then the fact that a computer part would "stabilize" well over 100C with no temperature controls means that there's still a sufficient temperature gradient means that thermal capacity and conductivity would dominate.

There's a bunch of other reasons why dumping 200-1000W of heat into a human body, that normally dissipates 100W, is a bad idea though. Like death.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

20 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Coming in 2030. The Razer HumanCentiCooler. Now with integrated RGB!

"Reduce your carbon footprint and save on your food bill by warming your body with SkinHeat by Meta. Now with blood tracking technology!"

I see you skipped biology and physics. Human temperature is 35-40C. Skin is used as passive cooling surface and is bit cooler. CPU, after being actively cooled with massive heatsink and fan, is already double that under the load. So no, using human body as passive cooling loop would not work at all.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The closest thing would probably be bong-cooling a PC which is more or less cooling the PC by sweating.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:22 PM, cmndr said:

Probably not the best calculation set to use.
Sure, the human body is around 10C above "room temperature" but the inside of a computer case is often hotter than that still.
Even then the fact that a computer part would "stabilize" well over 100C with no temperature controls means that there's still a sufficient temperature gradient means that thermal capacity and conductivity would dominate.

There's a bunch of other reasons why dumping 200-1000W of heat into a human body, that normally dissipates 100W, is a bad idea though. Like death.

As compared to drawing ambient air across a aluminum heatsink?

3 hours ago, SkenderTV said:

As compared to drawing ambient air across a aluminum heatsink?

If you get enough airflow, the temperature delta matters less than you think.

The general formula for heat transfer is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_cooling

heat transfer ~ (coefficient of heat transfer) * (temp of object - temp of environment)

If you 2x the airflow you'd basically double the coefficient of heat transfer (at a molecular level you can think of it as how quickly passing by atoms absorb the kinetic energy of atoms in the object being cooled, so if you 2x the atoms making contact, BAM improvement; yes there's friction involved but it's so small an issue it's removed from the formula).

A heatsink with a fan on it would get a lot more airflow than a human body (that's already 32C) and this might make up for the fact that a computer case is 40C.

Keep in mind the "baseline" temperature for a processor is something like 100C or higher. The delta is 60+

Full disclosure, it's been... 10 years since I took a course on partial differential equations.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 5/31/2022 at 9:44 PM, Louiespitfire said:

obviously ignoring burn pains and the obvious ethical issues would it cool a pc or atleast keep it in usable range before the system restarts, disregarding thermal throttling

That's torture... of humans and machines alike.

Both the human and the CPU will die since you are ignoring the mechanisms that protect them from high temperatures,

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 6/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, For Science! said:

The closest thing would probably be bong-cooling a PC which is more or less cooling the PC by sweating.

Sweat can solidify and create a blockage.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566