Why is Linus talking about Elon Musk on every Wan show?

BaidDSB
On 4/24/2022 at 7:44 PM, Imbadatnames said:

Are you forgetting PayPal? He didn’t start at Tesla

The hard work at both had already been done, the product was successful literally all he did was provide backing, oust the founders then in teslas case essentially ruin that product. 

You might want to read what I wrote earlier about PayPal.

To say that PayPal had already "done the hard work" and Elon just came in with money is completely and utterly false. When X.Com and Confinity merged, "PayPal" was not at all like what PayPal would become. And as I said earlier, a lot of the very iconic things we know PayPal for today, like sending money to someone's email address, came from Elon's company x.com.

Please, don't be a blind hater. Elon has done quite a few bad things, and he gets credit for things he shouldn't be credit for all the time. There is no need to make up bad things to say about him.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Quote edited

48 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You might want to read what I wrote earlier about PayPal.

To say that PayPal had already "done the hard work" and Elon just came in with money is completely and utterly false. When X.Com and Confinity merged, "PayPal" was not at all like what PayPal would become. And as I said earlier, a lot of the very iconic things we know PayPal for today, like sending money to someone's email address, came from Elon's company x.com.

Please, don't be a blind hater. Elon has done quite a few bad things, and he gets credit for things he shouldn't be credit for all the time. There is no need to make up bad things to say about him.

He literally had nothing to do with it, he was literally just an investor, the same as he always is. He’s not an engineer, he’s not a rocket scientist, he’s a rich kid who got rich using daddies blood gem money and got Lucky with a couple of investments. Onto of that he’s a prick and a shit tier human being 

He didn’t start at Tesla

As others have mentioned regarding PayPal. Please at least use more than 2 brain cells of thought before responding.  He didn't do what you claimed there either.

He didn't ruin the product...Telsa started becoming successful after 2008 which was when Musk was running the company and the other founders were already booted out.

The EQS also does 780KM supposedly, 100 more than Tesla can supposedly do. 

listed the  EPA ranges.  That 770 km range is WLTP range.  Two different measurements.  You are trying to compare apples to oranges. 

Battery size is governed by the design, a larger battery also provided more longevity. Plus you don’t know how much of each is being held in reserve as a buffer. 

Not really.  If you have 2 vehicles that could travel 100km on a single charge but one has a 100kwh battery and the other has 200kwh battery you will degrade them the same.  Size only matters if you say could travel 200km on a 200kwh battery vs 100km with 100kwh battery.  You will degrade the 200kwh battery less...because there is less cycles.

I'm writing this on my phone and am getting carsick so I'll clarify things better later

Edited by LogicalDrm
Needless bashing removed, next time report

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

34 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

He literally had nothing to do with it, he was literally just an investor, the same as he always is. He’s not an engineer, he’s not a rocket scientist, he’s a rich kid who got rich using daddies blood gem money and got Lucky with a couple of investments. Onto of that he’s a prick and a shit tier human being 

He was not an investor in PayPal...

PayPal was created when X.com (a company Elon founded) and Confinity merged. 

Again, most of the things we know PayPal for today were actually created at X.com. Musk had experience working with online banking because he used to work for Bank of Nova Scotia when he was 18. He actually proposed an online strategy for the bank but it got rejected by the CEO. That's why he left and founded X.com.

Also, he got multiple bachelors degrees. So saying that he is just a rich kid who got lucky with a couple of investments is just silly. I get that you have an irrational hatred for the guy, but again, we don't have to make up stuff to be able to talk shit about him. There is plenty of real and true things we can say about him.

On 4/23/2022 at 3:53 PM, LAwLz said:

I feel like hating on Edison has become a meme. One of those things people like to go "ackchually" about to seem smart.

Yes, Edison did not invent the incandescent light bulb. He did however invent the first practical version of it by pooling together ideas and knowledge from other people. 

The light bulbs before Edison were for example made of platinum and thus were extremely expensive, or in other cases only lasted like 10 hours before breaking.

Edison's light bulb on the other hand, was relatively cheap and lasted well above 1000 hours.

Edison also invented and innovative on a ton of other things. I have no idea how people think calling someone an "Edison" is an insult, yet people seem to use it that way.

he also made them last only 10,000 hours instead of the 100,000 it could have...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

45 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

he also made them last only 10,000 hours instead of the 100,000 it could have...

That reminds me of a video from Veritasium, Edison didn't make lightbulbs only last 10,000 hours instead of 100,000, light bulb companies worked together to make light bulbs fail because they thought bulbs lasted too long.  A reason I don't like Tesla because there is planned obsolesce in their vehicles, things like a coolant fitting can fail and then Tesla wants to replace the entire battery instead of repairing the coolant fitting, Tesla refuses to sell replacement parts to vehicle owners,and too many things run from the infotainment display like the heating,cooling, mirror adjustments, and radio which should have dedicated knobs and buttons in case the display fails.

However SpaceX has done fantastic things, like create a reusable rocket system, and has been much more efficient than other space programs.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

That reminds me of a video from Veritasium, Edison didn't make lightbulbs only last 10,000 hours instead of 100,000, light bulb companies worked together to make light bulbs fail because they thought bulbs lasted too long.  A reason I don't like Tesla because there is planned obsolesce in their vehicles, things like a coolant fitting can fail and then Tesla wants to replace the entire battery instead of repairing the coolant fitting, Tesla refuses to sell replacement parts to vehicle owners,and too many things run from the infotainment display like the heating,cooling, mirror adjustments, and radio which should have dedicated knobs and buttons in case the display fails.

However SpaceX has done fantastic things, like create a reusable rocket system, and has been much more efficient than other space programs.

ya that's the one i watched im getting old and small details are not there but the point was it could have lasted longer. same with the single use flash for photos..

if we could have made it last 100,000 hours in w/e it was invented emiagen what we can do today.. 100 years...

your right about teck to day its going to get interesting... so that's why i spent $120 for a laptop just for an alarm clock app... and love it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 4/23/2022 at 7:26 AM, Heliian said:

He does have cult of personality though. 

So does Linus if we're honest. It's a match made in heaven. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

A reason I don't like Tesla because there is planned obsolesce in their vehicles, things like a coolant fitting can fail and then Tesla wants to replace the entire battery instead of repairing the coolant fitting, Tesla refuses to sell replacement parts to vehicle owners,and too many things run from the infotainment display like the heating,cooling, mirror adjustments, and radio which should have dedicated knobs and buttons in case the display fails.

Honestly, not sure if it's really planned obsolesce.  I think they just are adapting and changing so much that they end up not really has much parts available as needed.  Even the dedicated repair shops for Tesla are having a hard time getting parts...which is why I feel that it's mostly because they are focused on scaling and getting the finesse completed before starting to do full on parts for everyone thing.  This is just a guess though.

In regards to the coolant fitting issue as an example, they already redesigned the undercarriage to have that part less likely to be damaged.  The coolant fitting is also something where I think the story needs to be looked into.  He leased the vehicle from Tesla; where the lease agreement required a certain comprehensive coverage...which he didn't do.  From there the shop told him that they weren't capable of doing the repair to the battery pack (which it's the high voltage system...they very well might need a special technician to actually deal with it...as the components inside that pack can be very deadly.  The piece that was broken, actually would have been replaceable if the battery pack was opened as well...but the general point is they expected him to cover the cost of what would have been covered had he not messed up his insurance policy.

As for physical buttons...yea I sort of agree...but also disagree.  The biggest design issue is that the blinker buttons should have physical tactile buttons.  For myself it was a bad design choice doing touch sensors for those.  The horn should be pretty all the media button or a physical horn button (instead of touch).  If the screen fails, it does suck but pretty much the essential features are still all there.  The mirror adjustments might not be there...but honestly those shouldn't be played around with too often anyways.

Physical buttons can fail as well.  Issues I've had over time.  Gear stock broken, blinker stock broken, a/c button nearly broken (hard weird press), speedometer cable broken, and brake issues (abs sensor broke causing abs to activate when it shouldn't).  While I don't agree with everything Tesla has done in terms of eliminating the buttons or making it a few clicks away...I feel the reliance on the physical can sometimes be a nostalgia thing.

Slightly related to physical knobs...which engineer in their right mind thought it was a good idea making a puck shifter and putting it right next to/near the volume.  In one of the vehicles (I can't remember which Fiat maybe?) they even had the knob the same size.  Man, I saw so many people reaching for the volume and touching the shifter instead.  Sometimes physical isn't always better.

12 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Mercedes has been granted level 3 self driving in Europe, Tesla has level 2. 

Getting approval for level 3 does not make it more advanced or better than FSD Beta (since it's an unreleased, comparing to the beta).  Did you happen to see what situations you can actually utlize it in.  It's pretty much, just rushhour traffic for the Mercedes one.

It's like BlueCruise or SuperCruise or whichever one it was that was being touted as hands free...then you realize it can't handle tighter highway corners (which autopilot handles without an issue for years).  Having approval in limited scenarios means nothing.

It's akin to saying Bezos was successful because he beat Elon to sending private individuals to space (while ignoring the fact that Bezos took the easy, space but not really orbit approach)

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So does Linus if we're honest. It's a match made in heaven. 

It really bothered me when Linus started talking shit about Elon during the WAN show 2 weeks ago and this week.

Partially because Linus got a bunch of stuff wrong (and then brushed it over by going "it's not really important" when called out). 

But mostly because in my eyes, pretty much everything Linus said about Elon also applies to him as well, except he doesn't seem to realize it. 

It wasn't that long ago Linus was sitting in front of his camera crying about how he missed his kids childhood because he worked too much... And yet in this WAN show he talks about how he does not respect Elon because he wasn't with his kids during the first couple of weeks? 

Does Linus not have any self insight whatsoever?

23 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It really bothered me when Linus started talking shit about Elon during the WAN show 2 weeks ago and this week.

Partially because Linus got a bunch of stuff wrong (and then brushed it over by going "it's not really important" when called out). 

But mostly because in my eyes, pretty much everything Linus said about Elon also applies to him as well, except he doesn't seem to realize it. 

It wasn't that long ago Linus was sitting in front of his camera crying about how he missed his kids childhood because he worked too much... And yet in this WAN show he talks about how he does not respect Elon because he wasn't with his kids during the first couple of weeks? 

Yea I have also been getting the feeling that he's more willing to be combative with his audience on stream lately. And a lot of the time that just comes out as arrogant and Luke stays quiet and nods. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

He was not an investor in PayPal...

PayPal was created when X.com (a company Elon founded) and Confinity merged.

He was a cofounder and again literally was the investor he really didn’t do anything outside of that.

Again, most of the things we know PayPal for today were actually created at X.com. Musk had experience working with online banking because he used to work for Bank of Nova Scotia when he was 18. He actually proposed an online strategy for the bank but it got rejected by the CEO. That's why he left and founded X.com.

He didn’t work at the bank he was an intern. He did fuck all. 

Also, he got multiple bachelors degrees. So saying that he is just a rich kid who got lucky with a couple of investments is just silly. I get that you have an irrational hatred for the guy, but again, we don't have to make up stuff to be able to talk shit about him. There is plenty of real and true things we can say about him.

A bachelors means FA dude, especially when you have the money for private tutors. You’re not really doing work for yourself until you get to doing a PhD. 

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yea I have also been getting the feeling that he's more willing to be combative with his audience on stream lately. And a lot of the time that just comes out as arrogant and Luke stays quiet and nods. 

I think Luke did alright during this week. I feel like he is often a yes man that just agrees and tries too hard to make everyone like him, but he did in fact challenge Linus on some points. 

He folded when Linus countered, even though his counter arguments were not that great, but at least Luke challenged him a bit. 

2 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

He was a cofounder and again literally was the investor he really didn’t do anything outside of that.

[Citation Needed] 

He didn’t work at the bank he was an intern. He did fuck all. 

What do you mean?

He did work there as an intern.

He did have a presentation with the CEO about an online strategy that got rejected. 

A bachelors means FA dude, especially when you have the money for private tutors. You’re not really doing work for yourself until you get to doing a PhD. 

Lol, sure dude. 

On 4/23/2022 at 10:26 AM, Heliian said:

the guy is good at shuffling money and conning investors.

So...... The edison of today, got it.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

To be fair to Linus though, the way he talk, interacts and his mentality of family life is wildly different from what Elon Musk is.  My assumption is that he spends time with them after work, and on weekends and tries being very active in their lives.  Elon Musk on the other hand, from what I gather has the mentality of raising the kids with a nanny.  With that said, there isn't enough really to come to a conclusion regarding his parenting.

With that said, I think Linus often doesn't see other peoples points of view in controversial topics such as these or can often lack empathy towards people having opposing opinions.  Parenting is one of those ones where if you sit 10 parents down and have a stranger analyze each parent the stranger will find "faults" and "strengths" and you will have some that list someone else's "fault" as a "strength".  My parents got complaints when I was growing up (for letting me do what I did...like climbing to the tops of trees), but looking back at my life they trusted I knew my limits and it overall benefits me....but I'm fairly certain a lot of parents would scoff and call my parents bad parents for it.

*I don't presume to know either Elon's or Linus' true parenting concepts but since it's a topic that Linus seemed to bring up as an argument against Elon Musk figure I'd do the overarching generalization.*

I've grown up with people who grew up with Elon's parenting technique who are perfectly content and don't have issues with how they grew up.  Then again, I know their siblings who grew up exactly the same who would disagree.  The same is true regarding the way I've seen Linus parent...I've grown up with people who grew up like that.  It's the same thing, some thought their childhood great others thought it wasn't.

The tl;dr the way Elon and Linus parent are wildly different.  I think most people would agree that Linus' style of parenting is better than Elon's style.  The point I would like to make to Linus if he happens to read this is that we can't really know what type of parent he truly is because we only see him through glimpses of media coverage, where an off-hand comment can be twisted.  By no mean should people idolize Elon, but to flatly assume all negative things isn't right either.

20 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

You have to backtrack his life, when he was only 12 he programmed a game that he sold to some magazine back in 1983. Later he only use $28k of his father's money to start a company Zip2, which he literally done the early code, and sold it to compaq. With that money he start x.com which later became paypal, which sold to ebay for 1.5 billion. Smart people with that kind of money would buy smaller companies, rather than starting from scratch, that suits he's vision, and make them golden, which he did.

$28k is nothing, peanuts, compared to how much money his family own. Yes he was brought up as a rich kid, but i don't think he obtained the success he had today by spending his family fortune. You are too caught up with the "blood money" issue, he got nothing to do with it, he doesn't have any involvement with his father's business, as his parents are divorced way back when he was 10. He's controversial, yes, but shit? really bro?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

To be fair to Linus though, the way he talk, interacts and his mentality of family life is wildly different from what Elon Musk is.  My assumption is that he spends time with them after work, and on weekends and tries being very active in their lives.  Elon Musk on the other hand, from what I gather has the mentality of raising the kids with a nanny.  With that said, there isn't enough really to come to a conclusion regarding his parenting.

Well you see, I have a different view. Of course, I don't know how neither Elon nor Linus raises their kids, but this is what Linus has said about how he raises his kids:

All I could see in the photo album was my kids... The whole thing made me question why I'm doing this (running a company).  

So I told myself in the beginning, well, it's about supporting my family, right? Like, why do you do anything, why do you do a job. But it's pretty obvious to me it's about something else now.

Every time my wife would ask me, "hey, how long do we need to keep doing these kinds of hours?" "how long do we need to keep pushing like this before we can just back off and have a life?"

-snip-

I would always just move the goal posts on her. I started with:

"I am going to slow down when we have kids"

then I said

"hey, thanks for basically soloing our first kid in spite of your postpartum depression and all that. Good job. I'll slow down when we have a second one"

and then I said:

"I will slow down when they're old enough to remember that daddy was always working"

and then I said:

"I'll slow down when they are at the age where they really need parent involvement to help them with their homework or their sports club or whatever else"

and it's kind of funny because the whole thing actually sort of reminds me of Walter's character in Breaking Bad. It starts out as a way to pay a bill, and then it moves on to him telling himself that it's about supporting his family and giving them a better life, and eventually he realizes that the only reason he was doing it was because he wanted to for himself. 

Those are Linus' own words when he describes himself as a father. 

That does not sound like someone who spends a lot of time with his family. He basically says that he left raising the kids to his wife despite her being depressed, because he wanted to work instead, when he doesn't even have to.

In a recent WAN show he also said that his wife and he often argue with each other in the shower, because that's basically the only time they have time together that isn't work (or something along those lines).

When he bought a Tesla model Y for his in-laws he said that they had taken care of his children so much that they had basically paid for the car in hours of child sitting.

To me, it sounds like Linus is EXACTLY the same type of person as Elon when it comes to being a father. The father that always works and spends very little time with his family.

Who knows, the videos I am quoting are about 2 years old, and maybe Linus has changed during this time. But that does not really change the other ~8 previous years.

Especially not when he is telling people that "fathers who behave this way do not deserve any respect" (paraphrasing).

Edit:

I just want to make it absolutely clear that I am not trying to lecture people on how to "properly raise a kid" or whatever. I completely agree with you that if you took 100 parents you could point out "issues" with all of them.

I am just annoyed that Linus seems very harsh on Elon while it seems like he is guilty of the exact same things.

Then has the audacity to talk about how we should pick our role models better (to a bunch of people who glorifies him and has him as a role model), and never mentioning "hey, I am a terrible father by my standards as well, so don't have me as a role model either".

Because Elon is always in the news, like I am sure on Friday he is going to talk about how Elon now owns Twitter and what could happen

It is quite amusing, I see waaaay more people complaining about Musk and complaining about the Musk fanboys than i see actual Musk fanboys.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 4/23/2022 at 7:42 PM, SupaKomputa said:

because he's the edison of today.

so Memelord Muskatart is gonna make an analog to the electrocuting torture chair ? he bought twotter, so I guess that's checked off the list now ?

I just don't get the facination with Musk.

NASA abandoned manned LEO because the shuttle was an overly complex POS that was too expansive to maintain and commercial competitors would inevitably be able to pump smaller payloads into orbit at much less cost. The shuttle did it's main mission objectives and retired. Hubble....ISS...check. 

Take away the manned aspect of SpaceX and it's a lot less glamorous, and a lot less profitable. Well, unless you think shooting a Tesla with a mannequin past the asteroid belt is a great accomplishment for the human race. Could have spent those resources having some college kids design some probes to land on Europa or something. But, a Tesla is cooler, right?

Back in the 70's at the end of Apollo von Braun already had the basic bullet points laid out for a manned mission to Mars. Only issue was money. Apollo was expensive, and congress wasn't going to write the check for a project to put a man on Mars with 70's post vietnam inflation even though von Braun would have accomplished the task. Side bar, but the only reason Yuri Gagarin got his place in history was von Braun was quietly dragging his feet, and after dealing with Hitler knew how to play politics and play the long game to get a much bigger prize.

So, I'm simply not impressed at Musk doing stuff that a bunch of engineers did in the 60's with crew cuts and slide rules. Any fool can do something more efficient than the government. Manned LEO missions have almost zero engineering benefit. They are now purely vanity projects with low grav engineering being more efficiencly accomplished with computer simulations. NASA knew this.

Starlink satellites have a lifespan of what, 5 years? The goal is like 30,000 of them, and currently Starlink is running at a big loss. I've had D-link routers last longer than that. That's a lot of orbital flights to replace space junk. 

I have several friends with Teslas. Cool cars and Musk did a great job pushing the EV envelope and making them more practical. Nobody can afford a home to park them in the driveway, but that's OK. Musk can buy Twitter because he doesn't like their censorship policies, and that will of course better the human race, right? Meanwhile Bill Gates is helping fund Thorium reactor research. Hopefully that will help power all those Teslas.

I don't hate Musk, but there's more productive things he could be doing with his wealth. 

1 hour ago, wseaton said:

Take away the manned aspect of SpaceX and it's a lot less glamorous, and a lot less profitable. Well, unless you think shooting a Tesla with a mannequin past the asteroid belt is a great accomplishment for the human race. Could have spent those resources having some college kids design some probes to land on Europa or something. But, a Tesla is cooler, right?

Well I mean it's also about the publicity.  A major thing that I think is often overlooked is that they made space flight "cool" again.

I'd actually imagine the dragon capsules, while still really profitable...the other sat. missions actually make a bulk of the money for SpaceX (along with military contracts).

So, I'm simply not impressed at Musk doing stuff that a bunch of engineers did in the 60's with crew cuts and slide rules. Any fool can do something more efficient than the government. Manned LEO missions have almost zero engineering benefit. They are now purely vanity projects with low grav engineering being more efficiencly accomplished with computer simulations. NASA knew this.

Not really.  There is a bunch of tech and engineer that goes into making a reusable rocket and one that can do things as precisely as it does.  There are still a decent amount of experiments that are still done in zero gravity that can't realistically be done in simulations.   Also no, not any fool can do something like what SpaceX has done.  Bezos has failed pretty hard (hasn't achieved orbit).  Astra has had issues, firefly has had issues, Boeing is billions in overages.  So I'd argue that space flight is rather hard and it's pretty amazing how much SpaceX has managed to do.  They had 31 successful flights in 2021, and are allowing for new companies to come in and do ride-sharing with their sat deployments.

I don't hate Musk, but there's more productive things he could be doing with his wealth. 

People say that, but I don't think people realize how difficult it actually is to use wealth to help.  Donate to the starving children...then you realize 50% of the donation lined the pockets of other people.  At least with Tesla and SpaceX he is doing things that are changing the world

I have several friends with Teslas. Cool cars and Musk did a great job pushing the EV envelope and making them more practical. Nobody can afford a home to park them in the driveway, but that's OK. Musk can buy Twitter because he doesn't like their censorship policies, and that will of course better the human race, right? Meanwhile Bill Gates is helping fund Thorium reactor research. Hopefully that will help power all those Teslas.

Bill Gates might not be the best person to bring up at the moment...given that it's heavily looking as though he shorted Tesla stock to the tune of $500 million.  Actually the "leaked" texts are pretty interesting (Musk claims the leaks are true but didn't come from him), given Gates asked to talk about philanthropy while still holding a short in the biggest EV maker.

He's in the news, makes sense he'd be talked about.

There's an argument to be made for it not really being tech news, because he doesn't actually do any "tech", but then the WAN show has always talked about financial decisions regarding tech-adjacent companies...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 4/26/2022 at 1:53 AM, Justaphysicsnerd said:

so Memelord Muskatart is gonna make an analog to the electrocuting torture chair ? he bought twotter, so I guess that's checked off the list now ?

No no, you were right the first time.

Twitter is a hive of scum and villainy that unfortunately became a load-bearing component of Web 2.0.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.