Steamdeck booted with discrete GPU

ryao

Summary

ETA Prime has installed a discrete GPU (RX 6900 XT) in his steam deck via the M.2 slot. He booted Windows 11 off a SD card since the M.2 slot was no longer available for storage. The steam deck CPU had good performance, but the steam deck was CPU bound in a few poorly optimized titles like God of War. ETA Prime said that he saw higher performance in systems with stronger CPUs.

Quotes

Because we can

My thoughts

He should have booted SteamOS 3.0 or at least some sort of Linux distribution. It is not very hard to boot any Linux distribution off a SD card on a system that supports booting off SD cards. He just did not ask anyone. Linux uses less CPU resources than Windows according to Valve, so he might have seen higher FPS in those CPU bound games had he done that.

Also, Xbox <whatever it is called> and PS5, eat your hearts out. The steam deck can be given a discrete GPU, while they cannot get GPU upgrades without replacing the entire console. 🙂

Sources

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

When will we see a Steam Deck dock with a dedicated GPU? 

Probably never since the steamdeck does not have thunderbolt. He had to open it up to access the M.2 slot to do this. It is likely a possibility for a Steam Deck 2. I do not expect to see a Steam Deck 3 unless people at Valve call it Steam Deck Alyx.

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Never, because the Type-C port is USB3, not USB4 or Thunderbolt. It doesn’t provide PCIe lanes. That is why they had to be taken from the M.2 NVMe slot, which is not something a regular user or commercial product would expect.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 minutes ago, ryao said:

Probably never since the steamdeck does not have thunderbolt. He had to open it up to access the M.2 slot to do this. It is likely a possibility for a Steam Deck 2. I do not expect to see a Steam Deck 3 unless people at Valve call it Steam Deck Alyx .

Just now, brwainer said:

Never, because the Type-C port is USB3, not USB4 or Thunderbolt. It doesn’t provide PCIe lanes. That is why they had to be taken from the M.2 NVMe slot, which is not something a regular user or commercial product would expect.

Yeah that was a joke lol. 

Interesting to see it can be done though - I believed it to be more locked down.

kind of what I wanted to see, but also makes less of a point.

How docking it to become a hybrid of all systems, desktop - handheld etc.

but still kind of beaten by laptop + nintendo. I guess besides the price.

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

I had said that too, but upon seeing your NVMe slot remark, I thought it *might* be possible with a bridge chip:

https://www.jmicron.com/products/list/13

Those should give PCI-E over USB 3, provided that the OS has driver support for them.

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

kind of what I wanted to see, but also makes less of a point.

How docking it to become a hybrid of all systems, desktop - handheld etc.

but still kind of beaten by laptop + nintendo. I guess besides the price.

Very few games would need a stronger CPU than what the steam deck has. ETA Prime picked the outliers.

7 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah that was a joke lol. 

Interesting to see it can be done though - I believed it to be more locked down.

A long time ago, crazy folk have attached dGPUs to laptops through the miniPCIe slot that’s usually used for the wireless cards. 

M.2 is just a form factor for PCIe, so no surprise someone got it working. 

Unfortunately, unless you wish to sacrifice some bandwidth, and pull together a bunch of driver trickery, you must use an external display. Otherwise, an M.2 dGPU would be a pretty neat idea. Won’t be stuffing on RTX 3090 in such a form factor (especially considering heat), but for devices with iGPUs, could provide a nice bump for productivity and gaming if you’re willing to lose nvme (assuming you can boot elsewhere). 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

A long time ago, crazy folk have attached dGPUs to laptops through the miniPCIe slot that’s usually used for the wireless cards. 

M.2 is just a form factor for PCIe, so no surprise someone got it working. 

Unfortunately, unless you wish to sacrifice some bandwidth, and pull together a bunch of driver trickery, you must use an external display. Otherwise, an M.2 dGPU would be a pretty neat idea. Won’t be stuffing on RTX 3090 in such a form factor (especially considering heat), but for devices with iGPUs, could provide a nice bump for productivity and gaming if you’re willing to lose nvme (assuming you can boot elsewhere). 

Give it a few more years and M.2 will be PCIE 5.0x4 which would actually be enough bandwidth if you installed a future 5.0 card.

2 hours ago, ryao said:

Also, Xbox <whatever it is called> and PS5, eat your hearts out. The steam deck can be given a discrete GPU, while they cannot get GPU upgrades without replacing the entire console

For the cost of two more of the same console, for bottlenecking any graphics card with the 4 PCIe lanes M.2 has. That isn't including a power supply, since the eGPU will need that, or the adapter, which is 60-100$, etc. After the $300 Steamdeck (same as an Xbox series S, for less performance), the $300 minimum GPU, $100 Adapter, 60-100$ PSU, I could have the Xbox Series X AND the 2 TB crazy fast expansion card, and have a better product. That, and the Steam Deck will have lost the only thing it has, portability.

This is cool to see in a video, but impractical for the real world, the claim that this somehow makes the Steam Deck better is laughable to say the least.

2 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Give it a few more years and M.2 will be PCIE 5.0x4 which would actually be enough bandwidth if you installed a future 5.0 card.

PCI-E 3.0 still does not matter for games. A 4x PCI-E 4.0 would be equivalent to a 16x PCI-E 2.0. I am not sure if the steam deck supports PCI-E 4.0, but even if it does not, the bandwidth requirements once things are loaded into VRAM are small.

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

For the cost of two more of the same console, for bottlenecking any graphics card with the 4 PCIe lanes M.2 has. That isn't including a power supply, since the eGPU will need that, or the adapter, which is 60-100$, etc. After the $300 Steamdeck (same as an Xbox series S, for less performance), the $300 minimum GPU, $100 Adapter, 60-100$ PSU, I could have the Xbox Series X AND the 2 TB crazy fast expansion card, and have a better product. That, and the Steam Deck will have lost the only thing it has, portability.

This is cool to see in a video, but impractical for the real world, the claim that this somehow makes the Steam Deck better is laughable to say the least.

The graphics cards are not being bottlenecked by fewer PCI-E lanes. Level load times might be higher, but that is it. Once things are loaded into VRAM, the bandwidth requirements are negligible.

13 minutes ago, ryao said:

PCI-E 3.0 still does not matter for games. A 4x PCI-E 4.0 would be equivalent to a 16x PCI-E 2.0. I am not sure if the steam deck supports PCI-E 4.0, but even if it does not, the bandwidth requirements once things are loaded into VRAM are small.

16x PCI-E 2.0 or 4x PCI-E 4.0 has been proven to slow down faster gpus, some games more than others and the faster the GPU the bigger the limit:

watch-dogs-legion-1920-1080.png

5% faster going from "4.0x4" to "5.0x4"

6 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Ooooo that sounds fun.

Take note VALVE, next iteration: USB4

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I hope Linus makes a video about this to be honest.

Next, booted with desktop.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Why do I want Linus to do this as well using A PCI-E X16 M.2 splitter card to add 3+ M.2 SSD's and a Powerfull GPU. making sure everything is still portable aftewards.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

31 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

Why do I want Linus to do this as well using A PCI-E X16 M.2 splitter card to add 3+ M.2 SSD's and a Powerfull GPU. making sure everything is still portable aftewards.

I don't think that's possible. Isn't the slot only 4 lanes at 3.0?

12 hours ago, brwainer said:

So, maybe the next iteration of the Steam Deck in a handful of years if we're lucky.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

25 minutes ago, Rauten said:

I don't think that's possible. Isn't the slot only 4 lanes at 3.0?

He could use something like he did in this video

Wit

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 4/11/2022 at 11:30 PM, TrigrH said:

16x PCI-E 2.0 or 4x PCI-E 4.0 has been proven to slow down faster gpus, some games more than others and the faster the GPU the bigger the limit:

watch-dogs-legion-1920-1080.png

5% faster going from "4.0x4" to "5.0x4"

There is something wrong with the game if it is sending data over the PCI-E bus after level loads. 😕

Would it have been possible to give the Steamdeck a better CPU or is that the "thermal power" limit? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity