Do you still wear a wrist watch or do you do you use your phone to see the time ?

james_bond

I have never been a watch person, tried it when young but ditched it after school when I got a phone. 

Been using a phone for time since early 2000s but I was finally convinced to wear a watch when the Apple watch got good a few years back. 

I'm now a watch wearer again, for the first time in over 18 years.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

A gentleman has a watch. He must not only knows where he is, but when he is.

Either pocket or wrist, but always with an unobtrusive and tasteful design appropriate to any occasion. A purposeful glance at a watch must never announce itself. Time's fleeting but precious nature is reflected in a gentleman's approach to its mastery.

I'm a bit of an outlier here in that I'm deep into smartwatches. I have an Apple Watch, treat it like a fashion item and use it all the time — fitness, crucial notifications, phone calls, voice assistant, weather... and yes, the time. If a Casio, Fossil, Rolex or Audemars Piguet says something about who you are, why shouldn't a smartwatch?

I can still see the appeal of conventional watches, especially as you get into the luxury space, but the smartwatch really can redefine how you live, and how you use your phone. I'm in better shape, and I spend more time with my family (and the world around me) than with my phone... can't ask for much more!

i wear a fitbit today an ionic, simply to track steps, to ensure that i move enough, but i love my watch, i have a nice Tudor Black Bay 58, but i really do not use it that much.. (would love to be able to get a Rolex Kermit, but i would never wear it because of the price)

I use my "watch" as time keeper, i keep away from my smart phone, there are many reasons why, mostly at work i find it lacking respect to check your phone, even if it is for time, i have a lot of people presenting work, and arguments, and to be honest, my main rule is that the smartphone stays in the pocket, and computer is closed. so notes are taken on a remarkeble 2 and i can use my watch to check timings.

if i do big room presentations i normally rely fully on time keeping on my Logitech spotlight with vibration alarms, at half way points and certain key elements, to keep on time. 

Garmin forerunner 945 smart watch. Only comes off for showers and bike rides. 

I'm surprisingly good at telling the time based on the position of the sun, which is kind of strange given how far north I live and how wildly the position of the sun in the sky changes throughout the year.

I was once walking along with my Mum and she was wondering what time it was. I just looked towards the sun and said, "About four o'clock." She pulled out of her phone and it was 3:59.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

44 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I just looked towards the sun and said, "About four o'clock." 

You do this everyday, you will eventually go blind

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 minutes ago, wasab said:

You do this everyday, you will eventually go blind

That's what they said about something else I'm really good at

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Phone > time..

Too scared to take my silver watch.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Yes, several.  None of them smartwatches though because I can't tolerate something that needs to be taken off my wrist to charge every few days.  

To me it's a functional accessory like wearing $200 shoes instead of $20 ones.  Or wearing different color tshirts instead of having a closet with all the same color.  Or driving a Merc instead of a Honda.  Its value is beyond just its time telling ability, to me.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Honestly I feel like watches are more of an outfit accessory than a utility. Those who need to wear watches obviously do but for most people there is no need for a watch. 

Besides Smartphones, think of how many more clocks we encounter every day vs. 10-20 years ago?

I used a wristwatch, but after I washed it a month ago it went missing.

Me and my dad are planning on looking for it over the weekend.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

I'm required to wear a watch by my job. I'm not allowed to have a smart phone in some places and time is really important.

A watch on a wrist is a part of me since the late elementary school. For the past 3-4 years have been wearing Apple Watch 3, mainly because of notification convenience and tap-to-pay. Not in love, but the convenience of such beats the feeling and the style of my mechanical watch, and them being somewhat robust - completely destroys my old 'active lifestyle' Casio watch.

Daily watch wearer. I've got about six, but I typically switch between a retro 90s Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver Titanium which is my daily tool watch, and a Tag Heuer Aquaracer which I tend to wear more formally.

I also wear a Fitbit Inspire HR as a fitness tracker. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

wear a wrist watch but sometimes take the phone out of habit to check the time .. 

18 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Yes, several.

This you?

wearing-multiple-watches.jpg

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

17 hours ago, HM-2 said:

Daily watch wearer. I've got about six, but I typically switch between a retro 90s Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver Titanium which is my daily tool watch, and a Tag Heuer Aquaracer which I tend to wear more formally.

I also wear a Fitbit Inspire HR as a fitness tracker. 

[off topic] Oh hey I got one of those (the tantalum-titanium variant): 

Don't see many Seamasters in the wild.  I'm still questing to find the pinnacle version which was solid rose gold bracelet + case (2133.80) but I don't think they sold very many of them.  Discontinued 2007 and I've only ever seen 2 go up for sale in the last 6 years.  Also getting a bit of shade that it doesn't make sense to own a solid gold tool watch.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, HQuan said:

I still wear a wrist watch. Open the phone took me 2 second to it to turn on, and also lowered the battery lever. While wrist watch, you can literally just glances at it and only took half a second to know the time.

Also, you can't just pull out your phone and watch time when you're at a dangerous area like a cliff or somewhere that not allow phone. 

I can't see how a phone is any better. You have to take it out of your pocket and waste a small amount of brain power interpreting the numbers. 

With a watch you just glance at it and see the position of the hands and just know the time with almost no effort. 

Also, mechanical wind up masterrace.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Stopped using a watch about 16 years back when my fancy one died (glass broke) and had no munny to have it fixed.
Now i'm using a smartwatch since 3 years, i don't want to be without.
And yes i still grab my phone to see the time, the watch is more so i can get notified of calls/messages without sound.

As i find it annoying to hear other peoples phones, so i make sure they cant hear mine.

(special since most people dont change from the default ringtone which boggles my mind. 😄 )

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

5 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

[off topic] Oh hey I got one of those (the tantalum-titanium variant): 

Don't see many Seamasters in the wild.  I'm still questing to find the pinnacle version which was solid rose gold bracelet + case (2133.80) but I don't think they sold very many of them.  Discontinued 2007 and I've only ever seen 2 go up for sale in the last 6 years.  Also getting a bit of shade that it doesn't make sense to own a solid gold tool watch.

Nice. The Ti-Ta Seamaster is one that crops up on Chrono24 from time to time but I think I've only ever seen the rose gold ones on there a few times. As you say, can't imagine they sold that many of them given they're fundamentally a bit of s contradiction.

PXL-20210828-075036646-PORTRAIT.jpg

I love my 2298.80.00, far cooler than the more modern Seamasters and much rarer than the Submariners etc that most of my mates gravitate towards. 

My next purchase is either going to be another 90s gem (Zenith El Primero Rainbow Flyback), or a spring drive Grand Seiko GMT.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

4 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

I can't see how a phone is any better. You have to take it out of your pocket and waste a small amount of brain power interpreting the numbers. 

With a watch you just glance at it and see the position of the hands and just know the time with almost no effort. 

Also, mechanical wind up masterrace.

I will fight you.

Digital is by far underrepresented in the higher-end segment.  Do you have any clue how difficult it is to find a black tungsten-carbide band and bezel---on a DIGITAL ONLY watch?

5 hours ago, IPD said:

I will fight you.

Digital is by far underrepresented in the higher-end segment.  Do you have any clue how difficult it is to find a black tungsten-carbide band and bezel---on a DIGITAL ONLY watch?

But with digital you still have to take a second to process the numbers in your mind. With analogue, you just look at the position of the hands and you instantly know what time it is. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain