Do you still wear a wrist watch or do you do you use your phone to see the time ?

james_bond
4 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

But with digital you still have to take a second to process the numbers in your mind. With analogue, you just look at the position of the hands and you instantly know what time it is. 

I don't have that problem at all.  And since I also use 24h format frequently, your 12h clock face is a joke to me.  And a 24h clock face is dumb.

Swap between a smartwatch and a mechanical depending on what I’m doing. Checking your wrist is a lot easier than finding your phone or delving into your pocket. 

On 1/7/2022 at 9:50 PM, sexychimichanga said:

Your smart watch isn't going to actually tell you how many calories you lost.  It's actually a lot more complicated than that.

it does, of course it wont be 100% accurate but it does. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I don't like looking at a "smart" device unless I actually need the "smart" functionality. So yes, I still have a watch.

Besides, I often want to know what the time is when I am in a hurry, in which case I might be running for something and not want to stop to get my phone out of my pocket.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:42 PM, Thready said:

I'm autistic and I hate things on my wrist

I know someone who's autistic and would never go without a wristwatch. They find it much less stressful if they have an idea of what time it is, and hate having to check their phone frequently.

I suppose it just demonstrates the fact that the autism spectrum is... well.. as spectrum...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:23 AM, james_bond said:

I still wear a wrist watch but almost none of my friends do. All of them just take out their smartphones to see the time.

What about you ? Do you still wear a wrist watch or do you do you use your phone to see the time ?

I currently use a FitBit Alta, but have a Timex from eons ago as a backup. A good timepiece cannot be replaced by any fitness tracker or smartwatch until we achieve battery life of at least 30 days.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I'm really a big fan of functional wrist watches but I hate smart watches and never really understood why they are so popular. I mean they look stupid and if I need any of the additional  functions a smart watch provides I can just use my phone which does the same but better.

For the last 5 years my every day watch has been a G-Shock Rangeman (the GW-9400 model) and I love that thing. It's just a very practical watch especially if you are an outdoors person. It's resistant to pretty much any abuse, it charges itself through solar panels and has every function you need from a watch accessible by one or two quick button presses plus barometer, altimeter and compass.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

I love my Apple Watch as it is so useful. I have a lot of IoT stuff - it's great that I can just say "Siri open the pod bay doors (garage)" or "Siri turn on the TV", etc. instead of looking for remotes. I use it for sending texts more than my phone - usually using the speak to text function because trying to type of swipe letters takes too long. I load music onto it so I can go work around the yard or garage/shop and still listen to tunes. Plus all the other stuff like notifications, Applepay, my home Netatmo weather readings.

23 hours ago, sexychimichanga said:

you need to visit a nutritionist, dietician, or kinesiologist.

dude, these people also use your heart beat. 

also talking about laws of thermal dynamics is silly. human body is not a control bomb calorimeter in a lab or a close system. Biochemistry in the human body can either increase or reduce the calorie metabolism in reponsnse to various stimuli and hormones. Many calories you consume can in fact be wasted and untilize thus differ greately from what a measured calorie in any food packaging may suggest otherwise and vice versa is true. Your muscle mass and genetics can also affect your basic metabolism rate and thus each person is different. 

No calories measurement is truely accurate unless you can compensate for gazzillions of biochemial reactions that take place in your body every second and measure every single unit of joule that is produced. Heart beat is as general and generic as you can get. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Im a big fan of timepieces. I never leave the house without one. Although my bottles tend to get the most wrist time when I take pictures 😅

IMG_20211209_133013_137.thumb.webp.29a85d614148685589b9168da7f7a144.webp

1 hour ago, sexychimichanga said:

You can believe what you want, but it still doesn't work that way.  Heart =/= calories burned.  People are different.  It is a physical impossibility.

This is literally same thing i said except you completely do not understand the nunances i pointed out that made this entirely irrelevant. Human bodies is not a lab control enviorment and to think you can have everything as a known constant is silly. 

Measuring calories percisly has no point. This is no different than predicting the weather. satellites do not tell you it will rain tomorrow but xyz chance that it will rain tomorrow. To be 100%, you will need to consider the vectors, position, energy states down to each individual atom/molecules to eliminate any random chances and uncertainty.

Heart beat is as good as you can get without you being dose with nano size instrument measuring devices. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

41 minutes ago, IPD said:

Influencer wannabee detected.

I mean, I guess the medical field is kind of like farming for youtube subs?

Unless you're referring to somebody else 😉

1 hour ago, Mutoh said:

Im a big fan of timepieces. I never leave the house without one. Although my bottles tend to get the most wrist time when I take pictures 😅

IMG_20211209_133013_137.thumb.webp.29a85d614148685589b9168da7f7a144.webp

Not sure what's funnier. The over priced bottle of Champagne, the filter, the terribly compressed photo or the fact you're trying to flex your watch on an over priced bottle of Champagne..

Also from what I'm told by my customers who bought Dom Perignon (when we had it in stock) the 2008 Vintage was better than the 2009 & 2010..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

13 minutes ago, Virus__ said:

Not sure what's funnier. The over priced bottle of Champagne, the filter, the terribly compressed photo or the fact you're trying to flex your watch on an over priced bottle of Champagne..

Also from what I'm told by my customers who bought Dom Perignon (when we had it in stock) the 2008 Vintage was better than the 2009 & 2010..

Of course, 2010 was a bad season. Diseased crops, cold weather and low yields. Didnt have the choice to be picky at that time.

Anywho, figured people posted their watches so I'd post one of mine. Havent been here in a while, noticed there was watch talk and posted. Didnt think it would have such a polarizing response.

Next time I'll take off the filters and post my modded Casio on a can of Bud so I dont look like an influencer poseur POS or whatever 🤣

10 hours ago, Mutoh said:

Of course, 2010 was a bad season. Diseased crops, cold weather and low yields. Didnt have the choice to be picky at that time.

Anywho, figured people posted their watches so I'd post one of mine. Havent been here in a while, noticed there was watch talk and posted. Didnt think it would have such a polarizing response.

Next time I'll take off the filters and post my modded Casio on a can of Bud so I dont look like an influencer poseur POS or whatever 🤣

Nah. I just don't get why people splurge for Dom, it's $300 AUD a bottle here which is like $200 USD.. It's the most expensive Champagne by a fair bit in my shop. I'd rather spend the money on something <$100 AUD that's going to be as good or better.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

12 hours ago, Mutoh said:

It's not even 1 step removed from the influencers who rent out a private jet so they can take pictures gazing out the window and pretend like they're somebody--all while it's firmly on the ground.

There are people who collect watches.  I don't hate on them.  But when those people post, it's an unfiltered picture of their watch cubby holding their collection.  They aren't trying to flex on anyone.

I've been online long enough to spot when someone is purely trying to flex, and when someone is genuinely sharing a hobby/interest.  We have far too many of the former these days, and few of the latter--as the latter group doesn't need accolades and isn't seeking them.

13 hours ago, sexychimichanga said:

That's one problem I have with the body builder folks who believe myths over a doctor or kinesiologist.   Like, you're probably aware of this, but the whole 2000 calorie thing is actually a lie.

It isnt a lie, it does not tell the whole picture but that is the closest you can get without researchers throwing each and every person into a lab like lab rats. these are pragmatic appoarch and general guidelines. Works for most people to stick with them rather than without them. Food industry really can not do any better. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 minutes ago, sexychimichanga said:

Well, it was based off an old generalization by the USDA.  It's assuming that you're active to a certain point, and that everyone is magically the same.  The reality is the human body doesn't work that way.  It's actually based on genetics, health history, height, weight, activity, and more.   Plus, it also depends on the source of those calories since different sources impact the body differently.  Even the food pyramid isn't even accurate, and many respected doctors do argue against it because it does ignore the factors I explained.  Health generalizations are more problematic than you'd think.  I'm above average height, I have more muscle than the average person, I'm Nordic and Slavic mostly, I have a soy allergy, I'm highly active due to ADHD and genetics, I'm over 200 pounds with muscle, and so on.  I need more than 3000 calories a day, and it varies each day depending on the weather and how much I'm working out too.  My sister is a lot shorter than me, not as active, and needs no more than 1800 k calories a day.  My friend is average heigh based on a generalization for my state, eats 2000 calories a day, and is overweight.  That's the problem I have with the 2000 calories.  It's really not good enough, and that's why even doctors have a problem with it and the food pyramid now.

Like, I do get the reason for the generalization, but it's flawed and damaging at the same time.  The link under the video uses generalizations in a more appropriate way.  The video is by an actual doctor who points out the flaws of the USDA's logic, but not all of the flaws are their fault.   It's not like they came up with all of the ideas themselves.  I have more of an issue with their generalizations because I know the science myself as the A student in zoology, zoo lab, and chemistry.   I also understand the point your trying to make, but for me it's alaraming to make such a generalization when it can actually harm someone. 

These arguments against generalizing really make no sense. You can argue the same for things like eating healthly, exercise, and do not smoke will proflong your lifespan. some people still die early compare to those that never follow these guidlines simply becuase of genetics, their enviorements, whether their neighborhood has high crime rate or traffic thus more likely to get killed, their health care system, ect ect. it would be riddiculous to dimiss these health guidelines just due to the reason that everyone is different however. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Seiko 5 self-wind Automatic with a Speidel band. Survived two rotations through Afghanistan, plus all the mud, sand, shock and rain of twenty five years of ab(use) before and since and never out of place with a dinner jacket. That's how it's done. That's how you own time.

My watches are used and abused until they have to be refurbished or binned.  I don't take them off at night.  I don't take them off when I shower.  Obviously, no cloth or leather bands will work.  I actually end up using cheap Armitron's most of the time so that I don't feel bad about binning them when the bands break.  Kenneth Cole didn't last nearly long enough (Crystal cracked).  Dakota's, Tag and Ice all sit on the shelf most of the time.  Honestly regret buying the F1.  Would rather have bought a Suunto.

p.s.

I can't stand reverse display LCD.  I always feel like I'm straining to read the face.  They look cool.  They seem a bit "dressier".  But they aren't practical, imho.

4 hours ago, sexychimichanga said:

Telling a kid they need 2000 calories when you're not even considering how active they are makes the information problematic.  

Right, and I say updating makes no sense. 2000 is much closer to what the median population needs than say 3000 or 1500. You tweak it around, it deviates further from what's ideal. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

12 hours ago, sexychimichanga said:

It makes sense to update because their idea of a balanced diet is wrong.  It should be lower with what they list, an excess of simple carbs.  Plus, with most of the population not being that active, especially with Covid, you have more people who are sedentary.  You don't need 2000 calories of any source if you're not moving much.  

For a person who is a male 5"5, their basic metabolic rate is easily 1,600 calories a day. This is assuming all he does is lie flat all day. 

Potato is treated as carb and food pyramid is wholly different topic from a nutrition label. Not sure why you are mixing the two. Dietary guidelines does not predict you will add 100 grams of sugar or two table spoon of oil into your everyday dish. 

Most people who gained weight is due to way underestimating the calorie they ate and underestimating their serving size in addition to the inactive lifestyle. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I work for the gov't. Time has no meaning.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

51 minutes ago, sexychimichanga said:

Becase they say based on a balanced diet for the 2000 calories, and what they mean is based off the food pyramid.  It's completely related.  A potato is a simple carb, not a complex carb.  Not all carbs are bad for you.  Fiber is a complex carb.

https://www.google.com/search?q=food+labels&sxsrf=AOaemvISgwGRNAxkPaPRm3FihAphjzZqQw:1642014589315&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiui7-C9az1AhVUknIEHZzTDcoQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1564&bih=1183&dpr=1.1#imgrc=FxyNuB23yaFPsM

if all the food labels i see online, i have yet to encounter one that mentions food pyramid or "balanced"

Sudo make me a sandwich