Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

Why did you bring this back up...

here have a potato

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

I strongly recommend Rufus, but I guess you already know it. :P

Thanks, but does Rufus handle UEFI bootloaders well? (or at all?) I thought it was just for putting images/ISOs onto media for installations & such.

So, new problem: Getting my old Debian install to boot. It's breaking because it can't get to /home because that's on my PCI-E SSD, which is in a RAID 0 using ZFS because reasons, and it can't access it for some reason when it tries to mount at boot.

So I'm trying a chroot into the system while it's mounted on /mnt, and I'm going to see if I can get ZFS going there, where I can somehow get /home mounted -> move /home to that disk.

If I can't do that, then I'll probably try dd-ing everything over from the broken system and just overwriting literally everything on the current new system, while the new system is running. This should technically work, since running rm -rf /* actually finishes deleting everything and doesn't kill itself as a process while it's doing that (RAM loading ftw).

Just curious if things will try to edit other things while I'm doing that, thus tainting the install conversion.

O, what other options do I have? :|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

sigh

>zpool import -a

>no pools available to import

I think, along the way, one of the PCI-E drives got tinkered with. Great. Just great. This explains why my original system won't boot. :|

And it dawns on me now that I don't think I ever made a backup of my /home on the ZFS RAID 0 setup I had going with that PCI-E SSD. :|||

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Debian-GNU-Linux-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem

^found a cool thing along the way though.

So now, I guess I'll be trying to clone just the system portions over to my new system. :| Like, I wanted my /home back, but I guess I aint getting that.

Not sure if just overwriting my current system with the backed up one via dd will work or not tho. May as well try.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

sigh

>zpool import -a

>no pools available to import

I think, along the way, one of the PCI-E drives got tinkered with. Great. Just great. This explains why my original system won't boot. :|

And it dawns on me now that I don't think I ever made a backup of my /home on the ZFS RAID 0 setup I had going with that PCI-E SSD. :|||

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Debian-GNU-Linux-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem

^found a cool thing along the way though.

So now, I guess I'll be trying to clone just the system portions over to my new system. :| Like, I wanted my /home back, but I guess I aint getting that.

Not sure if just overwriting my current system with the backed up one via dd will work or not tho. May as well try.

sounds like your not getting anywhere 

@Charger @TheProfosist So i got the E-Elemental today :D 

Its rather hard to type on it due to the small enter key and the layout. 

Design wise its nicer then the Strafe, LEDS are about ..hmmmmm equal but the whole keyboard feels more compact then the Strafe, and i dont like it.

Picture.

ya it takes some time to adapt to a layout change

Sigh need to get a stamp for my degrees and police cert and lawyers and foreign affairs messing around with it. I'm never going abroad at this rate -_- maybe I should start looking at Japan instead

Anyone suggestions for learning to read

Japanese

It can get more derailed. It's mostly tech-related though or related to our common interests, but it can get beyond that as well...

Some people have complained about it, we have tried using different methods of doing off-topic chat, like IRC, Steam Group Chat, and TeamSpeak... yet we keep going back to square one, filling this thread. Some people have stopped caring anymore, some still don't like it, and others have abandoned this thread because of the off-topic post flood.

There was a time when mods admins got involved, but that wasn't for simply off-topic posting. It involved content that resulted in Google pulling the AdSense revenue from this forum multiple times, then we were told to get our sh*t together or else deletion would be imminent. They don't mind off-topic chatter here by itself, it just has to comply with CoC (Code of conduct is as it is for a reason).

Off-topic chatter has existed here from the early days, back when there were merely a few dozen pages. It has risen ever since, and some older members no-longer bother to check here due to that. Can't say I blame them, but that's just how it is. To get most of the posts be on-topic, it would have to be enforced with an iron fist, which isn't possible as of now, nor will it be any time soon at least.

*Note that I'm only a member who hasn't been here for long, so there can be some inaccuracies in what I have said.

It was way worse, that or maybe because I gave up on even trying and just joined in. Just trying to find my Christmas avatar a few weeks ago jesus the thread was so bad

Shit post to whatever x000 gif wars. Quad posting etc.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

AMD Yes!

They just announced an open source alternative for gameworks that they made.

Read about that here: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/amd-embraces-open-source-to-take-on-nvidias-gameworks/

This is why I'm still OK with supporting AMD. Stuff like this is fantastic.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

AMD Yes!

They just announced an open source alternative for gameworks that they made.

Read about that here: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/amd-embraces-open-source-to-take-on-nvidias-gameworks/

This is why I'm still OK with supporting AMD. Stuff like this is fantastic.

And who would devs use it ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I asked if it would come under heavy use too...anyone remember when vulkan was a big hit/sarcasm

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I asked if it would come under heavy use too...anyone remember when vulkan was a big hit/sarcasm

I think you mean Mantle.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I think you mean Mantle.

Well yeah

Direct X is the common and best reputation and only consistently optimised api. OpenGL is fragmented and losing support/given lip service by many companies

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

Sigh need to get a stamp for my degrees and police cert and lawyers and foreign affairs messing around with it. I'm never going abroad at this rate -_- maybe I should start looking at Japan instead

Japanese

It was way worse, that or maybe because I gave up on even trying and just joined in. Just trying to find my Christmas avatar a few weeks ago jesus the thread was so bad

Shit post to whatever x000 gif wars. Quad posting etc.

I believe @ICantThinkOfAnyGoodName posted one guide a few days ago...

I use Memrise for learning. While it's not as effective, it's better than nothing. It has mobile app versions available too, so whenever you are somewhere and have downtime, you can just take out your phone and continue learning one (or more) of the free user-made courses: they mostly include language courses, but they have some other things too.

Also: isn't learning to read / write hangul surprisingly easy and logical, compared to hanzi or kanji (the same thing, Japanese just copied the Chinese writing system)? I haven't delved into hangul, but have heard it is probably the most logical main writing system of those three East-Asian languages.

If you are just beginning to learn to read Japanese though, I'd suggest not bothering too much with kanji just as you are starting. Hiragana and katakana are enough to start off learning (though if you also plan on using it right away as you are beginning to learn, pray for furigana (pronunciation aid for kanji either on top of it or on the side, written mostly in hiragana).

And yeah, I know how bad the spam was. Have been around ever since page 300 or something along those lines, and never skipped a single notification from this thread (yes, I follow this. And no, I'm not a masochist).

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Japanese

snip

the genki textbook series it's the most recommended textbook http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/

you should also visit r/learnjapanese more info and help, do check their wiki for more info and stuff https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/wiki/faq

resources wiki, both physical and online 

https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/wiki/resources#wiki_physical_media

meanwhile I'm ready for Star Wars tomorrow better not doze off!!!!

post-89070-0-92049300-1450196209_thumb.p

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Well yeah

Direct X is the common and best reputation and only consistently optimised api. OpenGL is fragmented and losing support/given lip service by many companies

It's free and open source anyone could use it. Why would a Dev used the closed blob that is gameworks and also requires paying a percentage to nvidia when they could use this.

The whole point to vulkan is to provide an open cross platform API. I wouldn't be surprised if more people jump on board over directx12.

Also with this AMD has updated how they will be releasing drivers. There isn't going to be a proprietary one anymore. They will add in the extra closed proprietary stuff into the open driver(which is arguably better) and the release it as the professional/gamer driver. This will hopefully allow more frequent updates because it will be built upon the open driver that everyone can help build.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

It's free and open source anyone could use it. Why would a Dev used the closed blob that is gameworks and also requires paying a percentage to nvidia when they could use this.

The whole point to vulkan is to provide an open cross platform API. I wouldn't be surprised if more people jump on board over directx12.

Also with this AMD has updated how they will be releasing drivers. There isn't going to be a proprietary one anymore. They will add in the extra closed proprietary stuff into the open driver(which is arguably better) and the release it as the professional/gamer driver. This will hopefully allow more frequent updates because it will be built upon the open driver that everyone can help build.

Excuse if me if I wait on results. I just realised the open source drivers could be ported back to other Unixes and Windows open driver...

Japanese

The guide that Ruostunut linked is the one I use. It may not be perfect, but it`s pretty good.

I use Memrise for learning. While it's not as effective, it's better than nothing. It has mobile app versions available too, so whenever you are somewhere and have downtime, you can just take out your phone and continue learning one (or more) of the free user-made courses: they mostly include language courses, but they have some other things too.

Also: isn't learning to read / write hangul surprisingly easy and logical, compared to hanzi or kanji (the same thing, Japanese just copied the Chinese writing system)? I haven't delved into hangul, but have heard it is probably the most logical main writing system of those three East-Asian languages.

If you are just beginning to learn to read Japanese though, I'd suggest not bothering too much with kanji just as you are starting. Hiragana and katakana are enough to start off learning (though if you also plan on using it right away as you are beginning to learn, pray for furigana (pronunciation aid for kanji either on top of it or on the side, written mostly in hiragana).

And yeah, I know how bad the spam was. Have been around ever since page 300 or something along those lines, and never skipped a single notification from this thread (yes, I follow this. And no, I'm not a masochist).

I also use Memrise for learning vocabulary and I think it`s pretty effective. I recommend staying away from the courses that teach the vocabulary with romaji though, because you still would have to learn the Kanji and also not using Kana often can make you rusty at them. I recommend using the "JLPT N5/4/3/2/1 Vocab" courses on Memrise.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Finished watching one punch man. (Finally caved after seeing people constantly referencing it)

It was pretty decent. And refreshing to have a main character that starts out at the absolute maximum power level instead of pulling something out their arse every fight until they have more power than god.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

why would a dev use something that costs money over something that is free, the answer to that is easy, quality and support, we dont know if amd's versoin will have better support and quality for all we know it could be absolute crap, so we should wait and see how it is

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

That's doesn't mean it will be used, just look at TressFX or Mantle or even ACL.

And we don't know how good or useful GPUOpen will be.

I would be surprised, but gonna wait for the numbers to show up first.

This is only applies for the Linux side right ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

why would a dev use something that costs money over something that is free, the answer to that is easy, quality and support, we dont know if amd's versoin will have better support and quality for all we know it could be absolute crap, so we should wait and see how it is

The fact that it's open source means that even if it is crap on release anyone can improve it.

That's doesn't mean it will be used, just look at TressFX or Mantle or even ACL.And we don't know how good or useful GPUOpen will be.I would be surprised, but gonna wait for the numbers to show up first.This is only applies for the Linux side right ?

TressFX isn't open yet. When GPUopen is released they will also be releasing the new version of TressFX with it. I don't disagree that we should wait and see but it is far better then the scumbaggy tactics that nVidia uses.

I'm pretty sure that this will just effect the linux side yes. But it means that this should help to significantly improve there drivers. The open source driver gets updated frequently but still lacks in performance compared to the proprietary one. But the proprietary one has terrible support for most things. This should alleviate that issue.

I know you guys don't necessarily support or use Linux but any release of something major like this being open source is going to be big even on windoze. I am personally super excited about it.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The fact that it's open source means that even if it is crap on release anyone can improve it. TressFX isn't open yet. When GPUopen is released they will also be releasing the new version of TressFX with it. I don't disagree that we should wait and see but it is far better then the scumbaggy tactics that nVidia uses.

But bad early versions can permanently wreck reputation and management of open source projects is all over the shop. Php is the classic example of an all over the shop messy api that works commercially but is all over the place caused by questionable management...

Yes hangul is ridiculously easy to learn just grammar was a pain to get my head around Japanese intimidated the shit out of me when I started originally hangul was a lot more inviting. But having learnt how to read starting from step 1 doesn't seem so bad anymore.

I had honestly forgotten the spam was that bad, I even found my original breaking point where it was literally 4 people liking my post on anime and everyone talking around it just sharing images.

Thank you everyone :) and so begins my effort to learn Japanese.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I would defend the perfect insider due it's detailed and correct understanding of computing...

True, I like that as well, and I've heard that the novel it's based on is well-regarded, but I'm just not usually a fan of stuff that's so pretentious.

And refreshing to have a main character that starts out at the absolute maximum power level instead of pulling something out their arse every fight until they have more power than god.

Pretty boring, though. "Gee I wonder how this fight is gonna end?" "Oh no! Saitama's in troub- oh, who am I kidding? He's invincible."