[Update] Ifixit debunked it, you can swap iPhone 13 batteries

Master Disaster

Louis Rossman has but out a call to people who have access to multiple iPhone 13s asking if they can swap batteries around and see what happens after a Tweet gained traction stating the devices ship with encrypted batteries. Now to avoid confusion, we're not talking about the existing system where phones simply warn users to battery might be non genuine but work anyway, apparently the new system stops the battery from powering the phone at all.

Here's Louis' video...

The astute among us might notice the top response from IFixIt saying they're picking up multiple devices today and will be sure to let us know if this turns out to be true.

I'm posting this in GD for now as its not really news, yet. If this blows up however I'll update this thread with more info and ask a mod to move it over to TN.

Update

Debunked, phones boot fine after a battery swap.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

you are against right to repair so much that you ADD A CHIP WITH AN IDENTIFIER ON YOUR BATTERY AND MAKE IT UNIQUE TO EVERY PHONE bruh

if Apple will be able to replace the battery, it's just a matter of time before a third party makes a knockoff chip that can serve the same purpose. shouldn't be that bad (but batteries would get more expensive)

Coincidence that this pops up just as Apple is also (again) resisting the move to USB-C as a common charger?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 minutes ago, Zmimgo said:

if Apple will be able to replace the battery, it's just a matter of time before a third party makes a knockoff chip that can serve the same purpose. shouldn't be that bad (but batteries would get more expensive)

encryption isnt easy to decrypt.... it possibly not going to be possible for people to replace thier own batteries.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

26 minutes ago, Zmimgo said:

That hasn't happened for similar issues in the past, I don't see why it would now. At most I could see someone being able to open up the original battery and replace the lithium cells but that's not a given.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

25 minutes ago, tikker said:

Coincidence that this pops up just as Apple is also (again) resisting the move to USB-C as a common charger?

If the EU has anything to say (and as always, they do) Apple might not have a choice. If the EU do pass laws Apple will have to comply for all phones sold in Europe and at that point they might as well change it worldwide, it would cost them more to make 2 variants of every phone.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If the EU has anything to say (and as always, they do) Apple might not have a choice. If the EU do pass laws Apple will have to comply for all phones sold in Europe and at that point they might as well change it worldwide, it would cost them more to make 2 variants of every phone.

I'd expect Apple to go the malicious compliance route and just throw a USB-C to Lightning adapter in the box for EU models and call it a day.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

I'd expect Apple to go the malicious compliance route and just throw a USB-C to Lightning adapter in the box for EU models and call it a day.

Fair point, well made 😄

The sad this is, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the case.

They seemingly are doing what they can to lock down as many things as much as possible before right to repair is fully implemented, then they can just say "well, the law wasn't in place then we made these"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

At this point, what haven't they made unfixable yet? Definitely not an apple engineer looking for things to lock down further

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

The only even REMOTELY valid reason for this might be that they're using some sort of brand new, proprietary battery chemistry that pushes nominal voltage to like 3.95V (the battery doesn't seem much larger than the iP 12 but has a lot higher capacity).

Otherwise it's just a petty move before R2R legislation passes.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

51 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That would be a very 'Apple' thing to do!

58 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Such an adapter is already needed for fast charging anyway according to their own web page. Granted it's male to male, but might as well just give in and switch if it's already sort of necessary.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

Such an adapter is already needed for fast charging anyway according to their own web page. Granted it's male to male, but might as well just give in and switch if it's already sort of necessary.

You do know Lightning to USB C cable ships with every new iPhone since the 12?

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

That's how every iPhone ships since the 12.

13 minutes ago, just_dave said:

That's how every iPhone ships since the 12.

No, one of those:

download.png.cc48a9e51826d322a9b4b68383e9319e.png

The point of the EU thing being "you can plug the USB-C male end of the charger you already have into the phone", the Lightning to USB-C male cable that comes with the iPhone need to be plugged into something female, yet some chargers either have an USB-A plug and an A to C cable, or a permanently attached USB-C male. The only "constant" is the USB-C male end that goes into the phone hence what they want to standardize.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Reading the proposal, that is not allowed, if there's a charging port on the device, it *has* to be USB-C. The law specifically talks about on-device charging ports, so there's no digging out of this one.

OTOH, I saw on reddit somewhere a very malicious-compliance way for apple to deal with this and find a loophole; just disallow charging via lightning, have it only used for data, and charge wirelessly. That technically abides by that law, but it sure as heck is going to make a lot of people confused, angry, and frustrated. But i almost expect that from apple at this point.

Edited by ShadowJonathan
Forgot additional context

Regarding the thread topic, however, I'm sceptical. Wouldn't encrypted batteries also make it harder for apple themselves to replace them? I could imagine they have a framework behind the scenes where they keep master keys and such for every battery ever sold, so they can create new ones specifically to replace existing ones, but either they are *this* greedy with their devices, or this rumor doesn't make sense, i guess we'll find out.

1 minute ago, Jo Jo said:

Wouldn't encrypted batteries also make it harder for apple themselves to replace them?

No, it's easy to deal with that. Stores could just plug the phone to a computer, press a button and done.

F@H

GPD Win 2

31 minutes ago, just_dave said:

You do know Lightning to USB C cable ships with every new iPhone since the 12?

That's good, means they're halfway there already. Now switch the other end that matters as well.

Suggesting an Apple user will have the phone long enough to consider replacing the battery is being optimistic. These are the same phones that have the monopoly with carriers to trade it in after a year to swap to a new one. Apple wants you to contribute to ewaste for profit.

And before someone chimes in with a "I'm still using an iPhone 6" type comment, most iPhone users aren't a part of PC tech forums or even know who Louis Rossmann is.

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Suggesting an Apple user will have the phone long enough to consider replacing the battery is being optimistic. These are the same phones that have the monopoly with carriers to trade it in after a year to swap to a new one. Apple wants you to contribute to ewaste for profit.

And before someone chimes in with a "I'm still using an iPhone 6" type comment, most iPhone users aren't a part of PC tech forums or even know who Louis Rossmann is.

I still see plenty of phones as far back as the iPhone 7, and a 6S still in the wild be people far less technically inclined than myself (one of which still thinks hitting electronics does anything). 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 hours ago, tikker said:

Yes, but in the same vain...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer