I tried Steam Deck and it's AWESOME!

Wifi is good but you can't always be in a place were there would be wifi, so what I really wanted on steam deck is a sim card feature as any tablet data plan should work if ever they did that. But right after watching the video at 2am, I'm sold and immediately contacted my brother in the US to pre-order for me. I can finally play Skies of arcadia properly in a handheld device like I dream about since high school. So speaking of, do you think steam deck would be powerful enough to run a switch emulator?

image.thumb.png.5d92100dceff418cbe08b2d18338d3fa.pngimage.thumb.png.548dd2983db510935c789338ec6b8c3e.png

Saw this monitor in the video, looked up asus portable monitor and found nothing close to this.
What is this?

looks like a great moonlight machine, but still don't think it's good enough to just replace my phone w/ controller

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just registered to post my two cents.

Display quality what ive seen from that video is lower quality than even normal standard IPS monitor right? It looks like a lot of greyish glow. Not FullHD, i mean if you want to watch videos even 4k can be downscaled 4>1 into fullHD and it will look a lot better than on 800p. That plastic/glass cover above display for sensors it looks like not even cheap android/xiaomi phones quality it worse. WTF is 68ms input lag? It uses shared memory LPDDR5 which by speeds around DDR4 (with lower power consumption) yeah on a quad-channel but still why not GDDR6? Amd has experience with GDDR6 video memory shared in reverse for system memory all its need better support in linux kernel. 

8 minutes ago, krab4t said:

Just registered to post my two cents.

Display quality what ive seen from that video is lower quality than even normal standard IPS monitor right? It looks like a lot of greyish glow. Not FullHD, i mean if you want to watch videos even 4k can be downscaled 4>1 into fullHD and it will look a lot better than on 800p. That plastic/glass cover above display for sensors it looks like not even cheap android/xiaomi phones quality it worse. WTF is 68ms input lag? It uses shared memory LPDDR5 which by speeds around DDR4 (with lower power consumption) yeah on a quad-channel but still why not GDDR6? Amd has experience with GDDR6 video memory shared in reverse for system memory all its need better support in linux kernel. 

It's a very bright looking environment so despite the anti glare, the black levels on the display are taking a perceived hit because of that. Filmed at an angle at least.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

Fuck i want it.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

6 hours ago, ClonedCat said:

Saw this monitor in the video, looked up asus portable monitor and found nothing close to this.
What is this?

+1 was wanting to know exactly the same thing.

6 hours ago, ClonedCat said:

What is this?

while there is others, might be this one in a smaller version

5 hours ago, krab4t said:

WTF is 68ms input lag?

That's lag from input by the user to output on the screen.  So it's not just display latency but the latency for the hardware to poll the input, acknowledge the input command, execute it all in the game, render the image, send the image to the display and the display to then actually show the image on the display.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Has it been confirmed yet whether it is/isn't possible to disable the touchpads while in a game? Sounds like a silly deal breaker but I would get really annoyed by them activating while using the thumbsticks.

How open will the OS be? I guess if it's Linux we could install anything we want onto it?

11 hours ago, kitnoman said:

Wifi is good but you can't always be in a place were there would be wifi, so what I really wanted on steam deck is a sim card feature as any tablet data plan should work if ever they did that. But right after watching the video at 2am, I'm sold and immediately contacted my brother in the US to pre-order for me. I can finally play Skies of arcadia properly in a handheld device like I dream about since high school. So speaking of, do you think steam deck would be powerful enough to run a switch emulator?

just use your phone as a hotspot and connect to it trough the WiFi on the Steam Deck

Why does it seem that no tech reviewer is trying out if the deck can play local multiplayer? As in not through wifi nor multiple controllers, but bonafide handheld style (psp, 3ds, etc.) where we have a few decks 1 creates a room and boom others can join. 

Something I would love to have more explication on is a passing comment Linus made about the unit being `in sandbox mode` so that they could not attach their screen to it. 

What is this `sandbox mode` and what is the impact of turning it off?  

Do you loos access to some games ? (is this something to do with anti cheat stuff)

Can you turn it back on after turning it off or do you need to wide your console?

Can you turn it on and off without rebooting?

How is it different from the `non scab mode` of the xbox that lets users install and run some windows apps.

1 minute ago, hishnash said:

Something I would love to have more explication on is a passing comment Linus made about the unit being `in sandbox mode` so that they could not attach their screen to it. 

I believe it's just they didn't want press messing up the decks on the different stations (that were displaying different features).

Notice how Linus is using different decks throughout his visit (beginning on steam+Doom, later alongside their PCs showcasing multiplayer, finally showing the desktop).

6 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Notice how Linus is using different decks throughout his visit (beginning on steam+Doom, later alongside their PCs showcasing multiplayer, finally showing the desktop).

Yer that is what i was thinking that the one he used was the PC showcasing had sandbox mode turned off (so could be used like a regular compute) i'm just wandering if this is just something during the press event of it the word `mode` is something we should expect.

I would not be surprised if Valve do have a sandbox mode as they need to get these games that currently use third party (normally nasty kernel level) anti cheat systems to play ball and maybe a sandbox mode (likely were the os partition boots into re-only snapshot and only runs steam signed apps) would be the easiest way to get them to say `ok` we don't need anti-cheat on steam deck. 

7 hours ago, dust10 said:

Why does it seem that no tech reviewer is trying out if the deck can play local multiplayer? As in not through wifi nor multiple controllers, but bonafide handheld style (psp, 3ds, etc.) where we have a few decks 1 creates a room and boom others can join. 

This would be interesting if a single Steam Deck could act as an AP for the other Steam Decks, but that can vary widely depending on wifi chipset.

Ad hoc is still a thing, the handhelds could use it but they were all designed around that functionality, but most games for PC are built around a very specific kind of network setup.

And then you have the worst part: Games and moved away from LAN play and into online, dev operated servers only.  Where even 'Local Multiplayer' is all clients connecting to a remote server. 😞

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

13 hours ago, GodAtum said:

How open will the OS be? I guess if it's Linux we could install anything we want onto it?

it's a computer, you can install anything and everything Linux lets you, regardless if it works or not, you could switch the OSes too if you want but i wouldn't

hope there is a slot for NVME mounting on the inside if it can be opened without breaking and the same for battery.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, more storage, aaaaaaaaaaaaa

19 hours ago, dust10 said:

It's running PC games on Steam. I imagine local play is no different than it would be using your existing setup.

Just a quick question, was the question of playing offline in steam deck brought up, specifically for games like AC odyssey that connects to ubisoft first? I know that we use our phones as a hotspot in places where there's no wifi but should we really have to.

28 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

Just a quick question, was the question of playing offline in steam deck brought up, specifically for games like AC odyssey that connects to ubisoft first? I know that we use our phones as a hotspot in places where there's no wifi but should we really have to.

there was talk about DRM content, in which way you view what DRM would be?

but DRM in the games itself has issues, however offline play should be as normal, if the game support being played offline or not, and if it got DRM.

DRM and anti-cheat (MP fps or competitive games) software that might not like what you are running the game on, which can have their issues. Some could be solved.

Still looks like a niche product. It's just too expensive to achieve market penetration. 

Doesn't even look portable at that huge size. It gets some geeks excited and that seems to be about it.

I predict people won't remember that this thing existed five years from now, just like with the Steam Console.