does samsung refund w10?

Go to solution Solved by svmlegacy,
6 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

by googling I haven't found any dedicated page...

w10 = windows 10

I don't need it, I don't use it, companies here are required to refund it if you aren't going to use it, but I can't find the page

Try calling their customer support.

w10 = windows 10

I don't need it, I don't use it, companies here are required to refund it if you aren't going to use it, but I can't find the page

We're going to need much more context and detail about what you're asking. 

I presume you are not asking about this ultrasound machine, which is the only thing that comes up on a Google search for "Samsung w10." 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

w10 = windows 10

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

5 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

w10 = windows 10

How did you acquire Windows 10 from Samsung? 

Where is "here"? 

Is this some scenario where you bought a Samsung laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled and now you want to install Linux so you think Samsung owes you the price of a copy of Windows? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

What a fun interaction this is likely to be for both OP and the hapless customer service rep. 

Just now, Middcore said:

What a fun interaction this is likely to be for both OP and the hapless customer service rep. 

This is a legitimate process required by law in some countries, when buying a new system with Windows shipped preinstalled.

If OP indeed lives in a country where this policy exists or is required by law, the CS agents should be trained to deal with it.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

6 hours ago, Lurick said:

The Windows EULA used to have a refund clause, but Microsoft removed it with Windows 10 if I recall.

Unless you buy directly from Samsung, no. The store might honor it. But you aren't gonna get huge amount. The baked-in price for OEM OS is about $50. This is based on the Intel PC sticks which had pre-installed Linux option.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

This is a legitimate process required by law in some countries, when buying a new system with Windows shipped preinstalled.

yeah it's a thing in fact, though not always manufacturers like that

https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20210302-01.en.html#:~:text=In a historic judgment in,15%2C000 euros to the FSFE.

9 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

If OP indeed lives in a country where this policy exists or is required by law, the CS agents should be trained to deal with it.

better than dealing with endless questions or with people who are really sure that thing is not a thing

16 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Ehhhhh. Not necessarily. I worked tech support for a company and we would sometimes get calls from the UK. They would quote that sales of goods act like it was gospel. Being a US citizen, had no idea what that was till I googled it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

20 hours ago, Lurick said:

Italy is in europe last time i checked…

10 hours ago, 12345678 said:

well, let us know how it goes, imo you're definitely entitled for a refund if we follow this Monza case and good luck!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Italy is in europe last time i checked…

well, let us know how it goes, imo you're definitely entitled for a refund if we follow this Monza case and good luck!

Europe wide directive is not the same as a country specific ruling. OP never told us where they were so....

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

24 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Europe wide directive is not the same as a country specific ruling. OP never told us where they were so....

yeah, true… its a precedence, but not sure how much that counts.

Also it seems weird to have a law and then not follow it due to a "directive" why even have the law then. 🤷‍♂️

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, true… its a precedence, but not sure how much that counts.

Also it seems weird to have a law and then not follow it due to a "directive" why even have the law then. 🤷‍♂️

I think it's because the directive Europe wide was removed in 2016 so Italy (at least) stepped in with this ruling saying that they still have to do it inside Italy at least. Not sure how all that stuff inter-meshes within the rest of Europe though but yah, confusing to say the least, lol.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

I think it's because the directive Europe wide was removed in 2016 so Italy (at least) stepped in with this ruling saying that they still have to do it inside Italy at least. Not sure how all that stuff inter-meshes within the rest of Europe though but yah, confusing to say the least, lol.

welcome to italy

Simply put, the Ars Technica article linked above covers everything within the EU. There's an early comment on the article that highlights the main point, that the computer is sold as a single package and not parts to assemble which includes the OS as one of those parts. In the specific example mentioned the complainent didn't like Sony's offer to cancel the transaction and wanted to buy the PC but not pay for the OS, for which Sony is entitled to say no.

Therefore, if you're in Europe, you're not entitled to an OS refund and there's no obligation for Samsung to do anything about it.

12 hours ago, Lurick said:

From https://europa.eu/european-union/law/legal-acts_en

Directives

A "directive" is a legislative act that sets out a goal that all EU countries must achieve. However, it is up to the individual countries to devise their own laws on how to reach these goals. One example is the EU consumer rights directive, which strengthens rights for consumers across the EU, for example by eliminating hidden charges and costs on the internet, and extending the period under which consumers can withdraw from a sales contract.

Which implies that EU member countries have some discretion in the method, but that they are supposed to treat directives as recommendations for laws they should pass.

However, it REALLY helps if you actually bother to tell us where you are - vauge mentions of "here" or the now popular "in my country" just don't cut it if you're asking a question and want people to be able to answer it accurately. We need to know which country to hav a chance at answering it correctly.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

How does that law make sense? As @thewelshbrummie mentioned “the computer is sold as a single package and not parts to assemble which includes the OS as one of those parts.” Why should you be able to refund the preincluded OS? Can you get a refund for just the power supply if you don’t like it? That’s also part of the package and is necessary for the computer to work, so what’s the difference? That’s like buying a car at a dealership, syphoning the gasoline out of it, bringing the gasoline back to the dealer and asking for a refund.

9 hours ago, The_russian said:

Why should you be able to refund the preincluded OS? Can you get a refund for just the power supply if you don’t like it? That’s also part of the package and is necessary for the computer to work, so what’s the difference?

because  you *need* the power supply, you do *not* need windows when there are free alternatives.

That was easy, not sure why thats hard to understand ?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

because  you *need* the power supply,

Nope. What if you have a power supply already? Its just like What if you had an OS. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Nope. What if you have a power supply already? Its just like What if you had an OS. 

You cant really compare hardware with software  in that way, the OS is just bundled / tacked on. 

I mean a better law would be that both would be offered, system + software , and system without  software  (for a cheaper price obviously) but still its not a hard concept to grasp if someone wants to buy a PC they dont necessarily also want to buy an operating system.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity