Windows 11

Dedayog

According to a few articles on the 'net, the next big release for Windows will either be a complete overhaul of 10 or a new 11.  For example...

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/is-windows-11-on-the-way-heres-what-hints-microsoft-has-dropped-so-far/

I had thought that Windows 10 was the new "as a service" type of thing.  Anyone have any additional insight into what Win 11 will be?  Curious ho wmuch bigger and badder than 10 it will be.

Sorry if there is another topic about this already.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

it's not gonna be windows 11, i'll tell you that much.

it's gonna be a windows 10 21H2 or 22H1 that'll be an absolute nightmare for every IT department everywhere.

as for why everyone is hyping it as "it may be windows 11".. obvious: windows 11 gets a lot more clicks than 21H2

I actually have more hopes on them rebranding it as plain Windows. I dont have any high hopes about microsoft ever fixing or making anything better because it seems like their just release it and then fix it mentality is coming from way way up top.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

it wouldnt be microsoft if they didnt make a massive mistake every few years. luckly I rode out windows 10 with 7 and avoided all the problems the majority of the world had to deal with it.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

it wouldnt be microsoft if they didnt make a massive mistake every few years. luckly I rode out windows 10 with 7 and avoided all the problems the majority of the world had to deal with it.

Windows 9 is where it's at! ((sort of, it's Windows 8.1 Industry Embedded Pro with a Win7 skin on it), and yes it's awesome, I run it on my main system. All the pluses of 7 and 10, none of the drawbacks....unless you need DX12, then you're stuck with Win10)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I don't think anyone knows anything other than what's been vaguely said so far. But not expecting much really. Considering the scrapping of 10X and now announcing "the next generation of windows" kinda makes me feel skeptical at best.

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it's gonna be a windows 10 21H2 or 22H1 that'll be an absolute nightmare for every IT department everywhere.

as for why everyone is hyping it as "it may be windows 11".. obvious: windows 11 gets a lot more clicks than 21H2

Nah, i think ms is realizing, slowly, that if you want a "os as a service" at least the foundation needs to be good, current windows is a huge mess and they cant just keep piling on this mess, at some point this could severely backfire, and the longer they wait the higher the risk is.

Yes, I know they dug themselves a big hole with "legacy support" shenanigans but they still realize this hole is a very dark and cold place to be… at least i would hope so!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yes, I know they dug themselves a big hole with "legacy support" shenanigans but they still realize this hole is a very dark and cold place to be… at least i would hope so!

legacy support is the only reason people use windows.

if windows was overhauled and compatible with nothing , then nobody would use it. 

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Nah, i think ms is realizing, slowly, that if you want a "os as a service" at least the foundation needs to be good, current windows is a huge mess and they cant just keep piling on this mess, at some point this could severely backfire, and the longer they wait the higher the risk is.

the base for windows 10 is actually becoming quite good. there's lots of growing pains, but at this point windows 10 'can be' self-updating, self-maintaining, and self-repairing.

the biggest issue with windows 10 is MS is kicking themselves in the knees trying to do an update scheme they cannot keep up with themselves, as opposed to just releasing an update when they have something to release.

also this:

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

if windows was overhauled and compatible with nothing , then nobody would use it. 

i like to add to that that MS is building IE compatibility mode into edge, because software developers in the enterprise space move slower than continental drift.

One of the things I don’t miss from the PC side of things is Microsoft’s obsession with constant total OS overhauls. The havoc it wreaks on compatibility, adoption and user support is real dumb.

Microsoft, stop being stupid and iterate instead of revolutionize every 5 years. Every other major OS has figured this out, why haven’t you? 

If they insist on another complete overhaul, it’s time for them to suck it up and move on from the dumpster fire that is NT and adopt a more secure platform along with ANYTHING but NTFS. Maybe also stop throwing root access around to users like candy while you’re at it and create a real security policy.

None of this will change or come to fruition… but whatever. 

/rant

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

41 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the base for windows 10 is actually becoming quite good. there's lots of growing pains, but at this point windows 10 'can be' self-updating, self-maintaining, and self-repairing.

the biggest issue with windows 10 is MS is kicking themselves in the knees trying to do an update scheme they cannot keep up with themselves, as opposed to just releasing an update when they have something to release.

also this:

i like to add to that that MS is building IE compatibility mode into edge, because software developers in the enterprise space move slower than continental drift.

there are at least two solutions to the problem that people "need" legacy support (which in my personal experience i kinda doubt they really do, but ok)

Option A) keep windows 10 for those in need of certain functions - its not like ms wouldnt maintain tons of different windows already, just another one to the pile, make it "business only" if they go this route.

Option B) i already said this in a previou post, have "VMs" for every single Windows ever released (ideally) but dont call it VM, call it what it is, emulator, without any hardware locks, and make it optional so people only need to download what they need.

This would be the ideal option going forward into a more modern os, kinda obvious i would say.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

there are at least two solutions to the problem that people "need" legacy support (which in my personal experience i kinda doubt they really do, but ok)

Option A) keep windows 10 for those in need of certain functions - its not like ms wouldnt maintain tons of different windows already, just another one to the pile, make it "business only" if they go this route.

Option B) i already said this in a previou post, have "VMs" for every single Windows ever released (ideally) but dont call it VM, call it what it is, emulator, without any hardware locks, and make it optional so people only need to download what they need.

This would be the ideal option going forward into a more modern os, kinda obvious i would say.

most businesses cannot rely on VM's for software that was not specificly built for a recently released OS. it is a theory, it is not a feasible solution.

the fact that windows 10 can in some shape or form run software that hasnt seen developer hands in 10+ years is a key asset for just about every IT department having to make the choice between the solutions that are on the table. dealing with legacy shit is the most important thing when choosing an operating system, because the legacy stuff is also the stuff where you're basicly on your own trying to get it to run.

besides, running an old (unsupported?) OS within a VM to access old software *is* a security risk. no ifs or buts about it. it's about as bad as still running that old OS bare metal. why even have the box around the VM if most of your stuff is "legacy"?

source: dealing with this crap is my job. i regularly install software from 2007, because someone somewhere still has to migrate a database, and the show must go on.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

Maybe instead of depreciating one configuration screen in favor of a new one, while keeping the old one, we'll get a THIRD screen to config the same thing! 😮

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

4 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Maybe instead of depreciating one configuration screen in favor of a new one, while keeping the old one, we'll get a THIRD screen to config the same thing! 😮

i look forward to re-writing instructions for how to rename a pc once again. such brilliant engineering.

/s

Just now, manikyath said:

i look forward to re-writing instructions for how to rename a pc once again. such brilliant engineering.

/s

I JUST wanna hold my mouse over the network icon in the system tray and see the link speed. Is that so much to ask? 😞 😞 😞

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

45 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the fact that windows 10 can in some shape or form run software that hasnt seen developer hands in 10+ years is a key asset for just about every IT department having to make the choice between the solutions that are on the table. dealing with legacy shit is the most important thing when choosing an operating system, because the legacy stuff is also the stuff where you're basicly on your own trying to get it to run.

45 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it is a theory, it is not a feasible solution.

i mean that is why we have option A… theres no issue doing this ,people who want legacy support use that, everyone else gets a new os without all the dead weight.

i mean, the root of the issue youre describing is that windows does *not* really differentiat between  business users and "casual" users, gamers or your average soccer mom doesnt need all this crap, but gets it anyways, and frankly it clutters everything up, in addition to the incoherent UI and its just a pain to use, with very little actual "modern" features. 

33 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I JUST wanna hold my mouse over the network icon in the system tray and see the link speed. Is that so much to ask? 😞 😞 😞

no, users who want modern features that make sense can use "rainmeter" homebrew software that uses approx ~68% CPU just to show you your current system (CPU) usage. 🤷‍♂️

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I imagine they are just getting rid of the number naming scheme. If I recall correctly, after Windows 10 released people asked if there would ever be another version after 10 and they hinted that it would be called 10 for a few years, and that they wanted to phase out numbers and just wanted it the OS to be called Windows and get rid of numbers for what I assume is PR. (People hated 8)

I’ll try to link an article, this was either early 2015 or 2016.

edit: Jerry Nixon

https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

Authors comment: Microsoft could opt for Windows 11 or Windows 12 in future, but if people upgrade to Windows 10 and the regular updates do the trick then everyone will just settle for just "Windows" without even worrying about the version number.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

What MS *could* do, is the following:

(1) Main Branch of Windows 10 (or whatever) same as it ever was

(2) Windows-Legacy-Free-11(tm) which is 64bit *only* and as free of old backwards compat as it can be.

Release both to the public and let them know that (1) will be phased out in 10 years.

Never happen of course, but we can dream...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, emosun said:

Microsoft has an obsession with how their OS looks,and prefers to focus on that rather than to focus on the important stuff,

Also the UI they are so obsessed with is really bad.

I prefer to use Windows 7,but i have it in dual-boot with Windows Server 2019 (Better than Windows 10 but still based on it).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Microsoft has an obsession with how their OS looks,and prefers to focus on that rather than to focus on the important stuff,

Also the UI they are so obsessed with is really bad.

I prefer to use Windows 7,but i have it in dual-boot with Windows Server 2019 (Better than Windows 10 but still based on it).

I think what it is, they are trying to find ways to draw people back to the Windows world. Back in the day they had a 96% market share. Part of the reason the DOJ tried to take them down. However now its like in the lower 80% range. Why? Well now they have competition. Android, iOS, iPad OS, ChromeOS, and Linux. Back in the day it was pretty much MS and Apple with the Penguin being off in the corner somewhere. But now you have people who DONT own a computer. They do everything on their phone or tablet. As both of those are more portable. OR you have people who buy very cheap computers AKA Chromebook's. Which are heavily used in education. VALVE software threw its support behind Linux when it came to gaming. Granted you cant play every game, but many games run natively or work with Proton. 

Microsoft has tried to get in to the mobile market and filled. Why? Because Steve Ballmer didn't give a fuck about the mobile market until Apple and Google pushed out Palm and pushed out Blackberry. Thats why the Windows phone died. Microsoft has tried to push Windows on ARM. Surface RT failed straight up. The current tablets do offer some cool features like running x86 apps and they did just start supported x86-64 apps in December but its still emulation and its not perfect from what I have read. One of the issues with the original Surface RT was that Microsoft felt that their tablet and Desktop OS needed the same UI. Which is why everyone hated Windows 8. 

Microsoft is hoping that making the OS look cool will bring back the cool kids. Because they see Apple doing things like this. The thing is Apple users are like a cult. They will buy anything Apple no matter what. Basically in my opinion Microsoft lost its way. They need to cater to Enterprise users and gamers, because those are probably their two biggest customer groups. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

42 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

One of the issues with the original Surface RT was that Microsoft felt that their tablet and Desktop OS needed the same UI. Which is why everyone hated Windows 8. 

Since day one Windows tablets are having the same UI as desktops,

Windows 7 tablets were totally a thing - And those were using X86 processors with a full fat Windows 7 with native support for both 32bit and 64bit applications.

There is the Samsung XE700T1 for example which with accessories can be a laptop as well.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

17 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Since day one Windows tablets are having the same UI as desktops,

Windows 7 tablets were totally a thing - And those were using X86 processors with a full fat Windows 7 with native support for both 32bit and 64bit applications.

There is the Samsung XE700T1 for example which with accessories can be a laptop as well.

If you read my comment you would have known I was talking about the Surface RT (an ARM tablet) and that piece of shit of a UI Microsoft tried to shoved down our throats during Windows 8. 

Honestly Windows XP or Windows 7 tablets were not really successful either. Didn't see them selling off the shelfs. They were few and far between. Those tablets also had the same issue as the current Intel based tablets and AMD base tablets. Battery life. ARM just does it better. 

In Microsoft mind ARM is where the future is for mobile devices. That why they keep trying and trying and trying. Maybe they will succeed some day. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Please make it so I don't have to either download a 3rd party app or dive in to the register to invert the scrolling direction of the mouse wheel. 

Oh and also please make it so I don't have to dive in to the registry again to invert the mouse wheel just because I changed the USB port the mouse is connected to. 

15 hours ago, manikyath said:

an absolute nightmare for every IT department everywhere.

Can relate. our School has over 400 laptops and over 100 desktops that "needs" to be up to date. And I am part of the team that updates them  So i was like 200 laptops and 20 desktops in at 20H2 when 21H1 dropped. So yeah back to square 1 i guess 😞

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)