Google Docs to prompt users to write in language that does not offend

TheReal1980

Summary

Google will prompt users of its software to write in non-gendered language to ensure they do not offend colleagues or friends.

Quotes

When writing in a shared Google Docs file, the online word processing tool will suggest edits if someone types a word it does not deem to be “inclusive”. If an employee writes “chairman”, for example, it will show a pop-up which suggests changing the word to “chairperson” or “mail carrier” instead of “mailman”. 

Google will also make other stylistic suggestions like to avoid passive voice or offensive language.

Google has already updated its “style guide” for developers who make apps that appear on its Play Store, requesting that any documentation which appears with their software is as inclusive as possible.

This means avoiding the word “crazy” and using “baffling” instead, or changing the phrase “dummy variable” to “placeholder variable”. Google also recommends editing sentences like, “before launch, give everything a final sanity-check” to, “before launch, give everything a final check for completeness and clarity”. 

In addition to its “inclusive language” prompts, Google said it will also add emojis to Docs, “to gauge the team’s reactions as you work together”.

My thoughts

I am thinking how long it will be until they write your text for you entirely. 5 years? Are we heading for licensed writers to be the only ones allowed to write texts in the future?

Who defines offensive language? Google?

Sources

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/google-docs-to-prompt-users-to-write-in-gender-free-language/ar-BB1gSyEu

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

I have very little patience for people who actively moan about the use of inclusive language. The classic example is singular they/them - it's been the standard where gender is ambiguous or not defined for a very long time, and in any case why the f*ck does it bother you so much that people don't want their gender ingrained in everything anyone says about them? If someone prefers they/them, just use they/them; it's not that hard!

Anyway - rant aside, I really don't think it's the role of a word processor or a multinational conglomerate to determine this. The word processor is the 21st-century equivalent to a pencil and paper - and you don't expect your pencil and paper to judge what you write with it!

We need to get people in society to be more inclusive, but this is not the way.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I have very little patience for people who actively moan about the use of inclusive language. The classic example is singular they/them - it's been the standard where gender is ambiguous or not defined for a very long time, and in any case why the f*ck does it bother you so much that people don't want their gender ingrained in everything anyone says about them? If someone prefers they/them, just use they/them; it's not that hard!

But you could say the exact same thing about the people who want to control how people speak as well. 

"why the fuck does it bother you so much that people mention a gender. If someone prefers him/her then let them use that. It's not that hard!"

I'm not saying one side is right or wrong, but I think both sides have a habit of acting like asses. 

"lol just change the way you talk. It's not hard" is not exactly a good argument for why someone should change how they speak. 

Considering all the times I've been offended before by way less and gotten over it myself, Google and all others can just bite me over it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

It is offending how some corp wants to tell how we should use a language...... GTFO. Can we just ban all this bs about neutral gender and  other moronic ideas?

I don’t want to get into the debate of inclusiveness, gender, and profane language but I hope there’s a way to turn it off especially in the Google Admin console. The profanity filter might be useful for schools and organizations to maintain good image especially to prevent an employee or a CEO sending out a profanity-ridden email to a reporter, making it a PR nightmare.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Ahahahahahah

You serious?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Is it possible we have reached that level of sensitivity that we have to have this BS?

Whats next, i am offended by the way you breathe so we will have an app for that?

As an eastern european, I see this as a sign of how good westerners have it.

After all, if "feelings got hurt because someone wrote crazy instead of baffling" is considered to be a large-enough problem to warrant what must be a huge amount of money and development time, then the people who benefit from this change probably dont have any real problems to begin with.

It almost makes a man... Uh, sorry, I mean, it almost makes a person jealous. 🙂

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

4 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

As an eastern european, I see this as a sign of how good westerners have it.

After all, if "feelings got hurt because someone wrote crazy instead of baffling" is considered to be a large-enough problem to warrant what must be a huge amount of money and development time, then the people who benefit from this change probably dont have any real problems to begin with.

It almost makes a man... Uh, sorry, I mean, it almost makes a person jealous. 🙂

Don't be jealous - If you lived here you'd see it and be itching to leave and head back in a hurry with things going the way they are now.
You guys in many ways have it good yourselves - And if you were here, you'd see it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

You know what's also toxic behavior? This shit Google is doing. Let people write whatever way the want. Otherwise, while we're at it, why not just call "mailman " a "mail transportation organism", just to be really "neutral". I mean, it's equally as stupid. Not to mention word "man" doesn't imply male gender, but "man" as human being. This crap is dragging for years with same BS excuses to peddle this crap and linguists have to constantly remind people of the origin and what it actually means when used as suffix or prefix to form a word.

4 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

Who defines offensive language? Google?

They make the software so they decide what they deem offensive.

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

Hey Google, fuck off

if you find that offensive, please see above.

Be careful. You might be arrested by our robot overlords in 2050 for wrongthink.

Well, if robots start to automate writing, then maybe we will see a new Game of thrones book.

But seriously this is really orwellian. If this goes on, then google might replace oxford or merriam webster.

I'm offended! 😉 just kidding.

Actually what about some of those languages like French and Spanish where things have a feminine or masculine name, like "la bamba" or "le car" aren't the "la" and "le" feminine or masculine?

A massive corporation telling you what language is offensive in a text document just seems kinda scary, I think having the option to turn it off would be good. But I also try to use they/them on this forum to avoid offending anyone.

7 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

But seriously this is really orwellian. If this goes on, then google might replace oxford or merriam webster.

Hasn't it already though? Unless a school or organization requires the use of the Oxford dictionary or Merriam Webster, I think most people will just google a word.

11 minutes ago, willies leg said:

I'm offended! 😉 just kidding.

Actually what about some of those languages like French and Spanish where things have a feminine or masculine name, like "la bamba" or "le car" aren't the "la" and "le" feminine or masculine?

Cause other languages don't have drones redefining it's grammar.

The more stuff like this happen the more I'm convinced that English should lose the international language status and leave it to either Spanish (2nd most spoken language globally) or French (previous language of diplomacy). Cause English is becoming more a more of a minefield where communication between two subjects becomes impossible.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

15 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Cause other languages don't have drones redefining it's grammar.

The more stuff like this happen the more I'm convinced that English should lose the international language status and leave it to either Spanish (2nd most spoken language globally) or French (previous language of diplomacy). Cause English is becoming more a more of a minefield where communication between two subjects becomes impossible.

We do have those in the spanish speaking world, replacing every a (feminine) and o(masculine) into the neutral e, eg “todes” instead of “todos” or “todas” (everyone)  

The moment the computer starts telling me what to think and say is the moment I say we need to start the clock for the robot uprising. No one should tell me what I can write in a paper period! This is bull crap that Google thinks they get to decide what is acceptable their literally creating Newspeak! Orwell is rolling in his dang grave 1984 wasn't supposed to be a guide book!!

Well, looks like it might be time to stop using google docs... I've always been a huge supporter of it over MS Word, but if they're going to start screening the words I'm typing, I'll have to take my business elsewhere.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

God this forum can be pathetic sometimes when it comes to topics like these...

Look, I won't deny that this can be seen as over-correctness, because it is. But to be so annoyed by it and to the point where some might not even use Google Docs anymore because of this, you're outright acting like a dumb child. Grow the fuck up and get over with it. It's a feature, you don't have to make use of it. The guidelines that Google put forward are not being enforced upon users. It's likely you can disable the smart canvas feature regardless. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04