Oculus VR Reveals They Received Death Threats And Harassment Over Facebook Deal

samyG

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/21106/article/oculus-vr-reveals-they-received-death-threats-and-harassment-over-facebook-deal

Oculus VR co-founder Palmer Luckey has revealed that their employees and their families received  harrassment, even death threats, in the fallout of the Facebook deal.

Luckey explained that they knew coming into the deal that they would be receiving a lot of criticism for it, considering Facebook has acquired a poor reputation for itself, they did not anticipate fans, and perhaps some of their backers, crossing the line. He ends by saying that they intend to prove themselves with their actions, but here and now, this sort of reaction was unwarranted.

You can read Luckey's full statement  below.

We expected a negative reaction from people in the short term, we did not expect to be getting so many death threats and harassing phone calls that extended to our families.

We know we will prove ourselves with actions and not words, but that kind of shit is unwarranted, especially since it is impacting people who have nothing to do with Oculus.

This is why we can't have nice things. No matter how you feel about Facebook and their deal with Occulus Rift, this is unacceptable and unwarranted.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k OC'd @ 4.5ghz | GPU: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) | SDD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 3 Western Digital 1TB  Hard Drives | PSU:Corsair Professional AX750 ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Mid-Tower

People on the internet send people death threats over everything though.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Yeah it's insane and unnecessary but it's the internet...they should have expected that.

If any internet driven personality/corporation makes an unpopular decision, 12 year old, ill informed keyboard warriors take to battle. 

That's just how things are, is it wrong? YES

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

TBH I'm not surprised at all...

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

I personally wasn't happy with the Facebook acquisition, but really, death threats? Maybe it's a good thing that this acquisition is moving the people that would do that away from Oculus and hopefully VR in general. 

Not surprised, but still disappointed.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Death threats over the internet are always legit and should be taken seriously.

They're angry kids.  The behavior is unacceptable, but this is not new behavior and should be disregarded.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Remember when that octopus in Germany was predicting the world cup and was right? the octopus received death threats, probably the same people doing this :D

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

8 user(s) are reading this topic

7 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

-snip-

that damn bot appears every time some writes either facebook or oculus in this forum since the buyout as for the threats, its the internet, everyone that has some fame on the net gets threaten at some point is kinda of inevitable, ofc by ignorant like always, i wouldn't be surprised if someone like pewdiepie gets a few per day, even linus must have gotten at least one during all the time he has on youtube

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

keep saying its a knee jerk reaction

they sold their tech to the devil

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Oh gee, who would've ever though! (heavy sarcasm) I'm not saying it's right, but come on. People have received death threats on the internet for much less. What the heck did they think was going to happen? Worldwide celebration?

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Death threats on the Internet means nothing.

I have received death threats and rape threats when arguing about phones for crying out loud.

I am still hyped for VR not just for gaming but in general.

As for death threats, those come from people who are mentally still 12 years old, and therefore should not be taken seriously. 

Oh who the f**k cares them having a sook over this makes me not like them even more now after the Facebook deal they act like they have don't much interaction with the Internet -_-

Does anyone know if the backers are going to get their fair cut of the buy out deal?  If it wasn't for the backers oculus would have nothing to sell to facebook, so I think the billions should  be divided amongst the backers in the same ratio of cash/shares that facebook paid. 

Then everyone is happy except the whiny 12 year olds who mostly couldn't carry out a death threat if they tried.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

First of all I think all death threats should be taken seriously. Second I will not buy Faceboculus no matter how good it ends up being. Have a nice day Oculus team and Facebook team.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I'm pretty sure you can find a death threats under some Nvidia vs AMD video from LTT as well...

Something to put Oculus and Facebook on main pages of news websites one more time.

Speaking of threats when do groups get to DDoSing Oculus and Facebook?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

they backed it, knowing that they would get a DK 1. if they got it, then the bargain is done, kept. also, the acquisition went for 2 MILLION, not billion

The acquisition was for $400M and $1.6B worth of Facebook shares.

Oculus raised over 90 million dollars, almost entirely from venture capitalists outside of the Kickstarter program. Oculus most likely still has more then two million in pure cash resources accessible to them. 2 million would be an insane deal to buy them for :P

they backed it, knowing that they would get a DK 1. if they got it, then the bargain is done, kept. also, the acquisition went for 2 MILLION, not billion

thanks,  at least someone knows how to answer a basic question without being derogatory and pretentious.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.