Our Craziest Cooling Project Yet

AlexTheGreatish

On today's episode of Linus Tech Tips the gang gets more wet than usual!

Buy an AIO CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/8ydYvy

Buy some Noctua Fans (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/4d7Q2

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Oh man, can't wait to watch this later.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

That was one cringey mix of a fun idea and half awesome half atrocious realization 😬

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

"OH GOD, ITS SO BIG"

Gotta love linus.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I already know this story,  but it will be fun to watch lol.

Oh man... Sarah's video was like less tech-homicidal than this lol.

2102070702212102072102072102070702212L1A0022-Edit.thumb.jpg.b8a60be08e1e0fe0b73f83ce14b8efd4.jpg

MO-RA > Car rad... lol

Big Chungus! (is a name of a case that exists)
Also this video...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

23 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

https://kolink.eu/Home/case-1/big-chungus/big-chungus-2.html

Does LTT even Chungus?
Nice video btw.

GEKL_052_01-opti.jpg

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I don't think this is crazier than the whole room water cooling loop 😛

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You guys misspelled shittiest.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

58 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Well, what a pointless test.

How is it, with all that hardware ...this ends up so janky..and of all things to go wrong ..a leak ..u couldnt fix a leak (or didnt want to)...

Come on, ofc entertainment is a factor ....but please tell me your going to release another video on this working properly ?

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

It pained me so much to see such a nice concept be butchered by lack of time and prep. This idea definitely deserves a proper revisit. I understand you have to pump a video per day, but sometimes the end result is just not worth it... 

Well, that's 20 minutes of my life wasted.

I rarely watch LTT videos because they seem more and more of "three guys farting about that may, or may not have any bloody idea of what they are doing" and less like "here is some useful information told in a fun way."

You not only could have fried yourselves, but you failed to answer the basic question: Is bigger better when it comes to water cooling?

I'd say you can do better, but I'm beginning to wonder if you really can.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

So this video basically shows us why you do a leak test by pressurizing the loop BEFORE you fill it!

A professional would have known that.

Honestly Linus, you know better, this really felt like doing a bad job for the sake of drama and entertainment.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Solid A for the idea, big fat F for execution :old-eyeroll:

For someone with the engineering qualifications Alex has, I'd expected a seriously better thought-out concept and practical solutions. Putting the radiator beside the PC is the most obvious remedy against leaks-causing-trouble, the construction is tall enough to extend above the CPU block so air would collect in the rad. As someone said earlier, a leak test would have revealed any shortcomings in the loop that would need resolving without testing the viewers endurance for cringe. As for the fans, a cheap 5 bucks Aliexpress fan-hub with Molex connector should solve any issues pretty much definitively.

Oh well, I guess negative attention is also attention :old-eyeroll:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

WOW, what a bunch of wasted time, effort and resources - all because you were unable to seal two fittings. This is just infurating, ruining everything and making all the results basically worthless through such a stupid mistake. A fraction of the time invested to soak up all the leaking water would've been sufficient to properly seal it. Very nice job half-assing everything again @AlexTheGreatish and big kudos for management, @LinusTech.

Also, next time maybe get some proper connectors and hook up the fans before powering everything.

33 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Solid A for the idea, big fat F for execution :old-eyeroll:

For someone with the engineering qualifications Alex has, I'd expected a seriously better thought-out concept and practical solutions. Putting the radiator beside the PC is the most obvious remedy against leaks-causing-trouble, the construction is tall enough to extend above the CPU block so air would collect in the rad. As someone said earlier, a leak test would have revealed any shortcomings in the loop that would need resolving without testing the viewers endurance for cringe. As for the fans, a cheap 5 bucks Aliexpress fan-hub with Molex connector should solve any issues pretty much definitively.

Oh well, I guess negative attention is also attention :old-eyeroll:

Like Linus said, WAN show was about to start, so I guess they were very limited on time. But why film it if nothing was tested or validated beforehand and there was no time to troubleshoot anything? Also, the title is completely misleading, I'm guessing someone new to LTT that has never watched the old videos decided on it and somehow it got an ok from Linus. Hello, Whole Room Watercooling? All the peltier stuff? The DIY blocks? Using chillers? What is so radical about using a car rad into pretty much stock everything else

Oh dear God, this had to have been one of the only LTT videos where I was yelling at my screen... Why didn't you go to a hardware store and find plumbing fittings that would've properly fit the inlets and outlets on that radiator? Using a tire inner-tube and zip ties?!? Really?!? I mean you had to order in the radiator, so why didn't you take additional time to find all the proper parts that would've allowed you to do this somewhat properly?

And then you had the output on the pump going to the GPU block rather than just straight up to the radiator? That would've eliminated most of the flow resistance since gravity would've given you flow pressure on its own given the mass of the fluid you would've had in that. Or, better yet, NOT having the radiator ABOVE the entire system!

This had so much potential that was just.... wasted.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

That was mildly entertaining, but now I wonder what the result would be with some more time and actual thought put into it.

Next time get a fan coil unit, they usually come with massive blower fans. 

HBS-Basic-Unit-200-through-1200-CFM.jpg

9 minutes ago, idmb said:

fan coil unit

Interesting idea, how loud are those?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I guess you modified this radiator for the fun doing it. Not for the purpose of showing us something really useful, eh :D?

While watching your video, i thought: That car radiator - and 9 Noctua Industrial fans are not really cheap.. I mean: for that kind of money you can get a nice external radiator. And then it came to my mind: what i would really love to see is something like a benchmarking or review video for external radiators. I bought mine (Heatkiller MoRa 3) 2 years ago - and i dont think its much more expensive than your setup. Even though the MoRa 3 is definetly considered to be an enthusiast model.

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

I don't think this is crazier than the whole room water cooling loop 😛

that would be awesome, it get very hot in summer time

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

8 minutes ago, King of Memes said:

that would be awesome, it get very hot in summer time

well here you go

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, Akrael said:

I guess you modified this radiator for the fun doing it. Not for the purpose of showing us something really useful, eh :D?

While watching your video, i thought: That car radiator - and 9 Noctua Industrial fans are not really cheap.. I mean: for that kind of money you can get a nice external radiator. And then it came to my mind: what i would really love to see is something like a benchmarking or review video for external radiators. I bought mine (Heatkiller MoRa 3) 2 years ago - and i dont think its much more expensive than your setup. Even though the MoRa 3 is definetly considered to be an enthusiast model.

I was surprised but how expensive that rad was. Where I live a car rad is about $50 new, and a 360mm WC rad is around $180. So it would make a lot of sense to build something like that here