Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
28 minutes ago, Pleiades7 said:

“We built an i5-9400f and 3050 gaming pc for $9,000 by buying all the parts from GameStop!”

actually that would fit with the theme of the “all X pc/setup”

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

Hololens 2?

I know it's not even a remotely new device, but now that the Vision Pro is reviewed, I want to see what the opinion on the "OG" mixed reality device is.

If it’s possible contact Basically Homeless. 

https://youtube.com/@BasicallyHomeless?si=jlVga_cWrPAct9wn

Have BH and Alex make some kind of PC that can be powered by water or other liquid and have that water or liquid also cool the PC. Boot into bios will work. Install some kind of Linus defense so the PC won’t have any random Linus attacks done to it. 

Also maybe Linus and the mech team could look into making gloves that will help Linus not drop anything. Have it be his exact skin tone.  Like the NFL Stickium days. 

Self-Powered PC

Fans which blow fans, which blows fans, which then, in turn, blows even more fans that make electricity like a dynamo or even a dynamo? Or those transformers which increase the voltage from low to higher maybe? Some sort of crazy jank monster which all the engineers at LMG can Frankenstein up.

Supermicro/Unifi sponsored homelab reboot. Happy to volunteer as tribute 🙂

Posted (edited)

Laptop cooling pad roundup - Do they make a difference?

I feel like I remember LTT doing a video on external laptop cooling pads, but I guess they haven't. I think it would be a really good video idea since people are always going back and forth as to whether or not they actually do anything to help cool your device. Would be nice to see a roundup of a couple cooling pads, maybe one of the weird opolar coolers, and just good ol' fashioned raising the back part up on a couple of pencils. Then get an idea of what kind of difference each option makes compared to its price. My screaming laptop would thank you.

Edited by LanerJ
Added header

I suggest an Acer Predator round up...

say 2016 models to current. If he still has some up the backyard, that be an actually good video.

A lot of the newer, cheap monitors aren't as good. Including OLED, to me anyway... or just go make a video about AMOLED, and its history. That be interesting as well.

Totalphase Cable tester video idea:

What ever happened to this?

What about you find 10 super cheap "high quality" cables from Wish/Temu/AliBaba and then 10 expensive ones from reputable brands, maybe get 10 of each to get a representative sample, and run them through the machine. 

Also might be interesting to look at the most popular HDMI/DP/USB cables from Amazon and see if they are any good.

Maybe add a competitive aspect, where Linus and co are rewarded/penalized for good/bad cables? 

I'd be really interested to see if expensive cables are any better than cheap ones, including reliability,. latency, and throughput, above and beyond the pass/fail Totalphase test.

**Edit: today the algorithm showed me the HDMI and DP videos you already did! Still, maybe USBC/thunderbolt capabilities might be interesting. But I noticed that the videos didn't have a lot of views, so I guess they aren't great content 

Watching the Vidimagic FP 60 video and you mentioned having Dan try to fix one. You guys should get in touch with Steve from Retro Tech. He does CRT repairs and has a lot of experience with Sony's PVM and BVM sets. Could be a sweet crossover video!

Ultimate Compatibility / Troubleshooting PC

A PC that has every single imaginable connector and bus.

I'm talking multiple GPUs so you have HDMI, DP, DVI, VGA, Thunderbolt, and S Video.
I'm talking the best possible Bluray drive that will play and burn CDs, DVDs and BRDs.
A floppy drive and a 20 in one multi-card reader.
Risers and converters  for PCIE, PCI, AGP and ISA.
USB, Serial, Parallel connectors, powered docks for IDE,SATA, Slimline Sata, Micro Sata, Micro SATA 16, SAS, mSATA, SATA m.2 and NVME drives etc.

Just cram as much stuff as possible. 

I think I found Linus's newnewTV to smuggle out of China:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/tcls-first-microled-tv-is-unsurprisingly-expensive-but-it-could-hint-towards-the-future-of-next-generation-tvs

163 inch micro-led 4k tv.  Does 10,000 nits peak brightness, 24.88 million individual LEDs, and it sounds like the response time is blindingly fast.

So, I was messing around with Excel and figuring out how many megapixels resolutions would make. By messing around with the 21:9 ratio, I found that you get a gigapixel (More specifically 1,268,121,600) of pixels by having a resolution of 55040 x 23040, which just happens to be 16 times the resolution of 3440 x 1440. Then I remembered the 16K gaming setup. 

So, here's my suggestion to LTT. Do a 55K gaming setup. 16 1440 UW monitors in a 16 x 16 grid. Give us a gigapixel! Show us the power it takes to run such fidelity!

Edit: So, I messed up, I don't know how. 4x4 3440 does make 55K gaming, 16 x 16 3440 makes 55K. A little harder to do than 4x4...  Still, would love to see this tried to be pulled off. If you use the Samsung Odessey Neo, it would only take 8 x 8 panels to reach a gigapixel. 

Hey, I'm 26 and never bought a TV. I've bought a few monitors, and I own a 15 year old 720p 32" sharp tv as well as borrow a 43" 10 year old I think 1080i Sony. 

I want to buy a tv. But I don't use it a lot, hence why the old ones are so old, so I don't want to spend $2000 on an OLED. I'm seeing cheap, $400 55" 4k tvs from Hisense or even $500 Samsung or lg tvs. And I can see them in a brightly lit store and they look great. 

Now I go on Reddit and ask "hey what's a good budget tv". Minimum budget is $800-1000. They claim these cheap ones are garbage. 

So here's the pitch. Source some old tvs. And have a subjective comparison between the "cheap holiday model" 4k LCD. Higher end LCDs, and of course an OLED as a 10/10. 

Like if a scale was 15 yo 32" 720p LCD as a 0/10, and a top of the line qd OLED is 10/10, where do the others fall? Is that cheap 4k a 5? 3? 7? And like, subjectivity. I quit watching world war z on my 43" because with the light in my basement it looked like shit. I had to watch high contrast cartoons like South Park. 

Idk, just thought I'd pitch it. Been annoying me for a while now. 

I'd love to see Linus do a price to performance comparison between some of the more popular miniPCs, stuff from Beelink, acemagician, refurb HP 705 G4 or G5, at different price points, and what they would be best for, whether it is for emulation, browsing, a media server, etc...

I've been trying to get one that does proper 3DS emulation and started at considering a raspberry Pi 5 for around 160 CAD, to a N100 based miniPC at around 200 CAD, to my current consideration of a ryzen 5700u equipped one for around 380 CAD, but it seems the rabbit hole is much deeper with re-releases, copycats, variations, and more.

Think it would be a nice follow up to the "we downgraded our PCs" video, something a la "we shrunk our PCs" or so.

Would make a great tech quickie or a informational, cheap build guide.

I just joined in on LoRa here in the U.S.

It's widely gaining popularity in the EU, slowly gaining people in the U.S.

This is a Off-Grid Encrypted mesh messaging system. It works on sub GHz frequency that in rual areas can reach 10 miles (16 Km)

If you want to send a message to someone, if you are in range of someone else it will kindof act like internet packets and hop around in the fastest way to get to who you are trying to reach.

Downside is, it only works best if more people are active either using a small cheap portable device, or building a base station to relay traffic.

Look Ma, No Internet!

and micro-controllers that are super cheap and easy to install

Requires:

-VERY cheap parts

-little spare time

-a computer to flash firmware via WEB GUI

I built My base station for about $100 USD

Portable devices can be had between $50-$150 USD

I would love to see a collaboration with LTT and FirstNet to show off how the service works, and a lot of the redundancies that they put in place to make sure first responders can stay connected!

plus they also have a lot of interesting devices for wireless connected routers, high power antennas that you can buy for extreme cases, and custom built PTT devices as well as neat integrations with Mission Critical for ePTT, and integration with traditional LMR’s, they have a “Telemedicine Backpack” (that’s crazy!), and personal safety devices for healthcare works etc.

I've tried to do my own research on these topics but can’t seem to find much information out of the limited information that FirstNet has put on their website. So it would be really cool to see the information from a third party and what they think!

Would love a LTT video on blueray vs the compressed mess that is livestreaming/vod. With a comparsion of all the platforms like twitch/youtube/floatplane/netflix/prime/apple and so on.

A Blueray can be up to 128 mbit/s while Netflix is 10-15 mbit/s for 4k hdr and Youtube does 40-80 Mbit for 4k hdr.
Theres om any tv shows that are compressed so badly its hard to see whats going on even on oled screens in dark areas.
For example Amazons The wheel of time had next level bad compression. Dark scens had absolutley horrible compression artifacs.
Then again, the entire show sucks 🤣

GoT also had several episods that *really* diddnt do well with streaming bitrates.

A roast of Linus and staff. But instead of renting out a place have it in one of the buildings. Have staff and family join. 

Have it be a live stream so the community can join. Include Merch messages just like in the WAN show. Have employees involved as well. 

Or have it as a normal video cut down to 30 minutes for YT and Full Length on FP. 

Make it a Tax right off. 

can we get a video of the video and photo crews set gear? I am having a little bit of G.A.S. and would love to see what they have both for work and outside of work.

I would like to see what kinds of genius ways Linus' team could come up with using relatively inexpensive and easy -to-use tech that could assist senior citizens with their challenges of daily living. Things like reminders, or lighting assistance, hearing difficulties,  emergency notifications,  voice activated things or tablet games to help memory etc. I know there are many options out there but it would be helpful to adult kids to find solutions that are simple and reliable. I know it's a big challenge but I was a director of assisted living communities for 20 years and I know how much their quality of life could improve with a little help from tech but I think the adult kids need some good advice and direction in ways they can help them. You really, really, really can't imagine the positive impact your team could make. And you have all the perfect geniuses to do it!

A silly idea just popped into my head. Take a trashcan mac pro, and wire it up to take power from one of those cordless kettle bases.

It might be a little too late for it to be as funny as it could be, but the idea could work for something else.

mac-pro-trash-can-deal.jpg

2L-Stainless-Steel-Cordless-Electric-Kettle-220V-Electric-Water-Kettles-1800W-Power-360-Degree-Rotational-Base.jpg

An idea for a project I've thought about doing myself for a while, that would make for a educational video.

Design the "ultimate" PC case and have the parts fabricated at ex. PCBWay (potential sponsor team up? :P)

Some topics that the video (or videos depending on how much you want to cover).

• Designing with fabrication type in mind.
  • Air flow and layout considerations.
  • Finding / using form factors, specifications and standarts in the design (ex. ATX/ITX specification, SSD and HDD form factors).
  • Material and surface finish choices (ex. Aluminum, Mild Steel, Acrylic).
  • Putting it all together.

What is the cheapest 1080p PC you could build with new parts?

What is the cheapest 1440p PC you could build with new parts?

What is the cheapest 4K PC you could build with new parts?