Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Replacing the capability and functionality of all Apple devices with everything but Apple devices and then making them work together

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

I would love to see labs take a crack at the emerging affordable digital audio category; stuff like Fosi Audio, Douk, Aiyima... There are many reviews online (& over 140 forum mentions), but I haven’t found anything beyond informal reviewer impressions with no independent measurements. These small speaker amps, headphone amps, DACs, etc. could be great for a crowded desktop - if they pass muster. 

There are certain disc players that "upscale" DVDs or 1080p Blu-Rays to whatever pish-posh resolution they offer. I haven't tested it for myself, wonder if it would even be viable??? Linus should compare against disc players of similar quality, the $500 Panasonic, and even streaming services...

Cpu cooling using peltier device.

9 hours ago, LurkyLurker said:

I would love to see labs take a crack at the emerging affordable digital audio category; stuff like Fosi Audio, Douk, Aiyima... There are many reviews online (& over 140 forum mentions), but I haven’t found anything beyond informal reviewer impressions with no independent measurements. These small speaker amps, headphone amps, DACs, etc. could be great for a crowded desktop - if they pass muster. 

i got one, a TB10D. worth the money. works real nice. a little hum in it, but nothing crazy. it's not great as a stand alone. i use it for my pc and i have three different volumes, most of the time.. the Fosi, the PC itself, and the program i'm running, whether it be an MP3 player, a video player or a game of some kind. at 1/3 on the fosi, i still have head room to be able to put my other volumes higher then i'm comfortable with in this space i'm in. 

my cables are all jimmy rigged tho, it might add a bit of hum in all fairness. i bet i could micro manage it a bit better and get better results but i couldn't care less. it's fine the way it is to me. 

Would love a video comparing audio fidelity of bluetooth earmuffs eg. 3M, Isotunes, etc.

I think this is right up macadress likes. You had videos like it before.

Recently got an iphone 13 mini and I must say the face ID is terrible. I really miss having touch ID, and if you google "face id bad reddit" and so on, tons of results. Apple should have included touch ID as well.

Video where you go around asking staff opinions, and spread some info onto that. My issues are generally in dark rooms when I get up or just when I'm angling the phone more casually, cause I never gonna get used to looking directly at it. I also did turn off eye awarness and its still bad.

Hi everyone!

I’ve been thinking about a cool video topic for LTT channel: exploring the real experience of switching from iOS to Android. Instead of a how-to guide, how about a deep dive into what this change is like for an average person?

Some points that would be great to cover:

•    The Ecosystem Shift: What’s it like leaving Apple’s ecosystem? Is it hard to adjust?
    •    Finding Alternatives: What are the Android equivalents for services like ‘Find My’ or ‘Family Sharing’?
    •    User Experience: How do daily tasks change on Android compared to iOS?
    •    Pros and Cons: What’s better, what’s worse, and what’s just different?

I feel this could be a really insightful video for those curious about making the switch or just interested in the differences between these platforms.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

This should give a more focused idea on reviewing the transition experience. Feel free to add or modify as needed!

Not sure the best way to get this idea to the LTT team, but can't hurt to start by posting here. I would love to see LTT (probably Alex) review a comma 3x. Following on the tails of the recent "buying a new car is stupid" video, I think this could be a series of videos on tech upgrades for vehicles. With the vast majority of popular vehicles having all the necessary requirements, I could see this being a viable option for people who want to be environmentally friendly (by extending the lifespan of their vehicle), more economical (not having to buy new cars for the upgrades), and still have the bleeding edge technology. Did I mention its a fraction of the cost compared to tesla's "autopilot?"

https://comma.ai/shop/comma-3x

17 minutes ago, alex12342 said:

Not sure the best way to get this idea to the LTT team, but can't hurt to start by posting here. I would love to see LTT (probably Alex) review a comma 3x. Following on the tails of the recent "buying a new car is stupid" video, I think this could be a series of videos on tech upgrades for vehicles. With the vast majority of popular vehicles having all the necessary requirements, I could see this being a viable option for people who want to be environmentally friendly (by extending the lifespan of their vehicle), more economical (not having to buy new cars for the upgrades), and still have the bleeding edge technology. Did I mention its a fraction of the cost compared to tesla's "autopilot?"

https://comma.ai/shop/comma-3x

Thread has been merged into the LTT video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Review all those bloated software that shipped with drivers or pre-installed by manufactures.

To name a "few":

• Corsair iCue - which is bigger than Photoshop.
  • Intel Arc Control - ugly and useless, using CEF, spawns at lease 6 processes.
  • AMD Adrenalin - same as above.
  • NVidia Geforce Expierence - I don't use their card for a long time, but if you can see people making a lite tool for their driver installer, it's bloated for sure.
  • Wacom - so we have OpenTabletDriver.
  • Alienware/Dell - their support assist app will do memory scans periodically, and eat your RAM like chrome.
  • All other brands produce laptop PC.

I believe PC gamers deserve better, we have lots of electron apps running in the background already, hardware manufactures want to make their control panel "gaming", takes a shortcut, using web tech to make fancy interfaces, embed firmwares in apps, make these kinds of software PITA, and no one can see these kinds of information on products' description.

What's in your backpack?

An floatplane exclusive interview series

I think a great addition to the "meet the team style videos would be a "whats in your backpack" series, similar to the videos Linus did every now and then. Would be a great way to find ideas for "optimising work loadouts" for the viewers as well.

I would be surprised if it hasn't been suggested before, but I would love a video as a follow-up to "The last PC build guide you will ever need". I get asked by friends, for whom I helped build their first/only PC, how they can upgrade their PC to get more FPS in {insert any game name here}. I have built anywhere from 50-100 computers at this point and I don't remember what CPU/GPU/Mobo/RAM you have. My advice is usually, "open task manager, Open the performace tab, play the game for a bit making sure you hit a few spots where it gets laggy or otherwise the FPS maxes out for a while, and then go back to task manager and see what component(s) are being maxed out in the graphs." Maybe a Video going over this, showing other tools like Afterburner, benchmarking tools, etc.

Perhaps the topic of bottlenecking could be revisited. I remember seeing something about bottlenecks back in the day. Maybe, I am remembering incorrectly.  But, I would love to have a video resource to point to and say, "Watch this video and figure out what is your bottleneck."

On 1/29/2024 at 9:20 AM, linnet9999 said:

Review all those bloated software that shipped with drivers or pre-installed by manufactures.

To name a "few":

• Corsair iCue - which is bigger than Photoshop.
  • Intel Arc Control - ugly and useless, using CEF, spawns at lease 6 processes.
  • AMD Adrenalin - same as above.
  • NVidia Geforce Expierence - I don't use their card for a long time, but if you can see people making a lite tool for their driver installer, it's bloated for sure.
  • Wacom - so we have OpenTabletDriver.
  • Alienware/Dell - their support assist app will do memory scans periodically, and eat your RAM like chrome.
  • All other brands produce laptop PC.

I believe PC gamers deserve better, we have lots of electron apps running in the background already, hardware manufactures want to make their control panel "gaming", takes a shortcut, using web tech to make fancy interfaces, embed firmwares in apps, make these kinds of software PITA, and no one can see these kinds of information on products' description.

To add to this, the tool for Wooting keyboards is called wootility. It runs fully in the browser so you don't even have to download it. When I found out that FinalMouse's XPanel was the same thing, I purchased that mouse even though any benefits over the Logitech G Pro Superlight is probably negligible. I have never had a problem with my Superlight. But, not having to install software is a selling point for me and many other gamers. I have had multiple friends seriously consider the switching to my peripherals for this exact reason.

LTT just HAS TO to do an expose on cablemod and their 4000 series fiasco. 

in a nutshell:

• the first 12 pin adapter was a fire hazard and defective so they offered a replacement 
  • you had to pay ridiculous shipping fees
  • the second 12 pin adapter was RECALLED yet months later they still haven’t communicated anything
  • the so called replacement cable which you also had to pay ridiculous shipping for was, guess what? ALSO DEFECTIVE
  • the cable causes black screens and gpu crashes yet, again, they never communicated this

We have revised our 16 Pin connectors and fixed the black screen/fans ramping issues. 🙂

Due to our ongoing facility upgrades, all orders and RMAs placed after January 18th will enter production on February 19th, 2024. Orders will be produced on a first-come-first-served basis in fairness to all customers. Regrettably, RMA requests are subject to the same delay, however, they will be prioritized.”

Cablemod can’t be trusted. They do not communicate fire hazards, tried to hide the black screen issue, and made their customers pay ridiculously high shipping costs for things that should be free. On top of this they still haven’t done anything about the recall. I personally experienced the black screen issue and spent a week diagnosing it before I realized it has to be the cable. Did they email customers to tell them? No!

Is there a speed-up or other benefit to having C on a separate, small partition.

I got confronted with that myth by a 16 year old using an SSD yesterday and I'm shocked people still do that.

Back in the day with spinning rust and the FAT file system it made sense to optimize the seek latency of the head and possible throughput.

This worked as far as I know due to two factors:

1. FAT had it's file table at either edge of the partition, so to see where to find a file the seek head would have to move all the way to that edge and then move to fetch that file (which might also have been fragmented)

2. The outer edges of the disks that are inside an HDD are bigger, so more information fits in "a lane".

So these two things in combination would actually improve your performance because you're min-maxing the physical layout on your drive. Someone online (tm) said files stored on the outside are accessed up to 50% faster because of those factors.

As far as I know NTFS already improves on that situation for HDDs by having the file table in the physical middle of the partition. Somebody online (tm) said Vista made some big improvements by taking the physical layout into account and moving most used stuff on the edges of the disks automatically.

With SSDs, as they don't have moving parts and the access time to any bit of information stored should be virtually identical (a few ns here and there maybe) I think this myth has to die.

There are ways to make use having multiple _drives_ but not multiple partitions on the same drive. I. e. you could symlink your caches/swap/etc. to another drive so when opening a program you can be sure to get "maximum performance" because you made sure your C drive is not busy doing background tasks.

Maybe it is useful to have a dedicated system drive for "reinstalling" windows. But just installing Windows on the drive without formatting and deleting Windows.old is much less hassle than finding out your C partition is too small.

While I feel you just add useless complexity by having a separate "OS-Partition" I feel there's a lot of talking points, ideas to consider and myths to bust with this topic.

And it's very hard to find hard data about it. So how about the same setup of a sata ssd and an HDD. Once as one partition and once as 80GB for windows + the Rest for games/etc (for the HDD probably best to compare outermost to innermost physical disk space used) and a few dozen stopwatch times of how long programs take to open in milliseconds as the final nail in the coffin to this deprecated idea.

Thanks for the consideration =)

Sapete Più o meno Quanto Rubiamo? – Rubiamo Quanto Possiamo Senza parole

How about a build of a Normal Gaming PC, Normal being about 2000$, for playing games.

For someone who already has a PC but wants to upgrade to the new tech, so no need for a monitor, mouse, keyboard or SSD ... just the case and the inner stuff 🙂  .

AMD or Intel ?, where is the best component to put your money ? 

Playing AAA games, with confortable stats .. upgradable in the futur ... a PC for the dad that can finally upgrade 🙂   

2000$ US or 3000$ CAD , a ''normal'' price

Thanks for reading 

Have a nice day

I think there is a serious void of actual tech support on the internet right now. And with the reliability of google going downhill with all their "sponsored results" its becoming more and more difficult to find what you need. My mother almost got scammed when looking up how to fix her printer because the first result that came up at the top was a fake hp look alike site that told her it was not possible to fix without removing the 100s of trojans on her (literally brand new) lap top, and offered her a special anti-virus subscription.

Please consider a call-in show, and fill the void "Call for Help with Leo Laporte" and "The Screen Savers" left on the old tech tv. This is "Linus Tech Tips" after all.

I envision Linus and another host, or a rotating set of hosts, twice per week for a couple hours. Callers can get screened in a discord server by submitting their questions, and raising their hand on a discord stage. I think it would be super cool to engage with the viewers this way, and perhaps it could even get edited down into a standard regular series video!

I have a video suggestion, to take a look at the HUAV 2024 dual screen laptop from AliExpress. While it's got an underpowered CPU, it certainly looks like an interesting laptop, with its touchscreen next to keyboard. Even if it turns out to be garbage, I'm sure it would make for an interesting video, which would get views.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006175451934.html

I was able to take delivery of a Cybertruck and would love to get it to the LTT team to do some crazy projects and videos with. If the team is looking to any Cybertruck content please give me a call!

I'd love to see a video (or series) exploring some of the more esoteric WiFi variants that exist. Not just a Tech-Quickie, but a more a main channel "wouldn't it be cool if" type video. 

The big ones are the current state of WiGig/60GHz and HaLow (https://www.tomshardware.com/networking/super-long-range-wi-fi-works-at-a-range-of-18-miles-halow-standard-aces-a-real-world-test-despite-high-interference

Please ignore my typos... I type too fast. Or Swype too fast on my tablet. One of those. 

Fixing air cooling airflow.

Air cooling airflow is hard to optimize with the current mobo layout. For your CPU it's quite easy to get a nice airflow path on the top side of your case with a tower, but not for your GPU. Now that obnoxiously loud blower style GPU coolers are out of the market, all the rest leave your GPU heating up your case. You have also shown previously that increasing fan speed can counter intuitively hamper your cooling so that won't fix bad airflow.

So what if you either mounted a custom (possibly cpu) cooler on the gpu and let it exhaust out the back OR use a riser cable to mount the gpu as an intake, kind of like a water cooling block. This would obviously need some tinkering to get custom mounts and everything but it would be an interesting topic and a new take on optimizing airflow.

This was inspired by "I fixed PC cooling" from optimum, but that approach is only applicable to founders cards as other cards have severely lacking air pass through compared to that.